Tips to help sleep: so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Altostrata

• Moderator Emeritus

Success already Rhi! I have long thought I've had something like this. I think I drift in and out of sleep but don't register a difference. Last night I read your post and researched some stuff on sleep misperception.

I tried your trick of saying relax, you are actually sleeping during the night. And I did, and I know it because I had a dream and could remember it when I woke up!

They theorize that it may be the overproduction of a certain neurotransmitter, one that is a low levels in people that have narcolepsy.

Thanks for this

Dalsaan

This is the first time this has happened in ages

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

on another note...as far as a supplement like magnesium for sleep that Karma and Georgia talked about...some people find it helpful (in whatever form) and some don't or in fact find it activating and problematic...this is how we're different and why it's important to remember just because something works for us it may not work for another and in fact it may make another far worse...

This is such a helpful reminder. While it would be much simpler if we reacted identically to every substance, we don't and this diversity in response is more reason for cautious, self-managed programs of care.

I catch myself giving well-meaning suggestions to others that may not work for them even though they have worked for me. Though for the most part, I try to avoid making recommendations for things. I wish things were not so complex so that I can understand tehm.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Back on the sleep part of this thread: One thing that has helped me has been learning about something called something like "sleep unawareness." Or something like that.

It's actually really common, and it's where you think you're awake even though you're actually cycling in and out of sleep. But your brain just pieces together the parts of the cycle where you're awake and you experience them as continuous. It's a neurological thing that's going on so you actually experience yourself as continuously awake, even though if you were hooked up to an EEG it would show that you're cycling through sleep stages.

I've discovered that when I'm in that state, if I think "I'm not sleeping, I'm not sleeping, I've got to sleep, I have to go to work tonight" and focus on that, I actually wake myself up more. I'm kind of learning to relax and say "maybe I'm actually sleeping more than I think I am..." and for me, when I relax into it, and allow the moments of wakefulness to just "be" and not see them as "oh no I'm awake again"--it seems to help me actually drift into a more solid sleep.

Just a little piece of something that's been helpful to me. To realize that maybe I'm actually sleeping more than I realize, which helps me to relax and sleep even more.

This is very helpful.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm wondering, does any one else who struggles with sleep feel hot at night? I don't have night sweats but I certainly feel like my temperature is poorly regulated. Is this common?

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

my body temp has been whacked the entire time I've been dealing with this stuff, yes

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

• Moderator Emeritus

"Sometimes I think, and I don't know why, that the meaning of it all is to sleep."

- Fernando Pessoa

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

• Moderator Emeritus

I couldn't decide if this was worthy of a seperate thread, but in the end decided to hook it to this one, does anyone else suffer from "the fear of not being able to sleep" as a result of being hit by withdrawal insomnia over the years? this is bordering on a phobic type reaction for me, I worry a lot that I won't be able to sleep if I've got something big going on the next day, and it becomes a self fulfilling prophesy, I think I'm not going to sleeep, worry about it, and then of course I don't sleep, and then the day/event is ruined by exhaustion. I sometimes long to go back to that childhood bliss of never ever thinking about sleep, it just happens and you take it for granted.

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/
Original drug was sertraline/Zoloft, switched to Prozac in 2007.
Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

Ok thank you. the syringe said 12 ml was the entire suringe so I cut that in half. I'll be very careful tonight when I take my dose. Thank you. Ugh! I was nervous.

Yes! I work part-time and most can't sleep the nights before I work

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• 2 weeks later...

Heard in passing on radio: A study by the American Sleep Association (or similar) found that only 13% of people who were sedentary 8-9 hrs./day were able to sleep well if they didn't exercise. The helpful exercise did not have to be vigorous.

Sweet dreams, Meimeiquest

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• Administrator

I'm afraid I've come to think of my melatonin as a magic token for this reason. Once I take it, I have faith again.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

I used to have this. Then I decided to change the script rumming through my mind. Rather than projecting how I would feel in the morning and worrying about how I would cope, I started to say. Youve felt tired before and have managed to get through the day

This increases my chances of getting some sleep but also I feel better if I can relax even if not sleeping. If I stress and fight it all night I am shattered in the morning

• Moderator Emeritus

dalsaan, this is a great technique and works for me maybe 75% of the time - when i am feeling a bit depressed as well though I am not so successful with that

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

• Moderator Emeritus

So glad I'm not alone. I've tried changing the script as well, doesn't often work though.

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

If as you say Alto, w/d insomnia has nothing to do with the circadian cicle, how is Melatonin helpful?

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

• Moderator Emeritus

This link explains how melatonin can be helpful:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/189-melatonin-for-sleep/

Alex, does the phosphatidylserine seem to be helping you?

Yes, PS seems to help;I don´t get those too warm feelings so much.

Small doses though,100mg the most.

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

• Moderator Emeritus

the biggest tip for me to reduce sleep anxiety (or non sleep anxiety) is not to have a clock in the bedroom. I used to put a cover over the one we had so i couldn't see it during the night. Now i just have my iphone next to my bed. If i am not anxious or in withdrawal, waking at night is not a problem for me, it doesn't even bother me if i can't get to sleep or don't get much sleep, but when i am anxious and depressed the sleep can become my focus - so bizarre. I refuse to look at my phone to check the time and because i haven't for so long its no longer something that i am tempted to do.

The other trick that sometimes works is that i lie really still and count my breaths in and out. That only works sometimes - when i was about 13 i was on a sleep over at a friends house and she said sometimes she couldn't get to sleep and that's what she did - she used to see others asleep and they were still and breathing slowly and regularly and so she thought if she copied that it would work - pretty clever for a 13 year old don't you think?

One of my good friends told me than when she was a child and couldn't sleep her mother used to say - well when that happens, you just put your pillow on the other end of the bed and 'snap' like magic you will be asleep. She did that and it worked ( amazing how suggestive we are as children) - now if she can't sleep she does the same - she picks up her pillow and puts it at the end of the bed and her husband wakes up in the morning with her feet in his face! When i couldn't sleep i would go out into the lounge room and my mother would scold me and say 'hurry up and go to sleep or you won't be able to do (whatever was happening) tomorrow. Is it any wonder we develop these problems when we are told those things to our little, suggestive, trusting minds?

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Peggy,

when you're counting your breaths you're meditating! (Which is really hard to do properly). This morning I woke at 4AM and, unable to get back to sleep, got up and went into the living room to meditate. I did that for 15 minutes. Just watching my breath and when my mind wandered, bringing my attention back to the breath.

I've read somewhere that 20 minutes of meditation is a good as 8 hours sleep! Not sure if I believe it.

What do others think?

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

no...20 minutes of meditation is not as good as 8 hours of sleep...and when you're sleep deprived it's not as good as 20 minutes of sleep. We need sleep.

for some of us meditation can be excruciating at certain junctures and not even a good idea some of the time. This may not have happened to you, but when the autonomic system is really screaming meditation is next to impossible.

I started with seconds at a time...now I do hours at a time...sometimes when I can't sleep I meditate for several hours...and it's still not as good as sleep :P

we need sleep.

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

• Moderator Emeritus

Twenty minutes of meditation is good. It does not replace sleep. Sleep is good. Sleeplessness is one of the worst parts of poopout and withdrawal. Destruction of sleep is the major crime of SSRI/SNRI.

1989 - 1992 Parnate* 

1992-1998 Paxil - pooped out*, oxazapam, inderal

1998 - 2005 Celexa - pooped out* klonopin, oxazapam, inderal

*don't remember doses

2005 -2007   Cymbalta 60 mg oxazapam, inderal, klonopin

Started taper in 2007:

CT klonopin, oxazapam, inderal (beta blocker) - 2007

Cymbalta 60mg to 30mg 2007 -2010

July 2010 - March 2018 on hiatus due to worsening w/d symptoms, which abated and finally disappeared. Then I stalled for about 5 years because I didn't want to deal with W/D.

March 2018 - May 2018 switch from 30mg Cymbalta to 20mg Celexa 

19 mg Celexa October 7, 2018

18 mg Celexa November 5, 2018

17 mg Celexa  December 2, 2019

16 mg Celexa January 6, 2018 

15 mg Celexa March 7, 2019

14 mg Celexa April 24, 2019

13 mg Celexa June 28, 2019

12.8 mg Celexa November 10, 2019

12.4 Celexa August 31, 2020

12.2 Celexa December 28, 2020

12 mg Celexa March 2021

11 mg  Celexa February 2023

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, PS seems to help;I don´t get those too warm feelings so much.

Small doses though,100mg the most.

Good, Alex, I'm glad it's helping. I take only 100mg per night also. I also keep my bedroom very cool. I don't allow any heat of any kind to get in the room. This has helped me as well.

Peggy, I also try to not look at the clock when I do wake up during the night. For some reason, if its around 4:00 and I see the time, it causes me anxiety which makes it harder for me to go back

to sleep.

I'm sure that stems from those 4:00 awakenings I had in severe WD.

• Moderator Emeritus

I've read somewhere that 20 minutes of meditation is a good as 8 hours sleep! Not sure if I believe it.

What do others think?

I have read that too, no, i don't believe it but when i first heard it it helped to reduce my anxiety about sleep - but it didn't stop me feeling tired!

Having said that, meditation helps to put a blanket over our anxiety and also helps us to get to know our own minds - it helps me to recognise and nip my ruminations in the bud.

• Moderator Emeritus

Yeah I don't believe it either.

It's hard to meditate at the best of times much less when you're in WD.

Give me sleep any day:)

February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

• Moderator Emeritus

Peggy I totally agree with the clock business, if I'm having a bad night, I make a rule to never ever look at the time, because it stokes up the fire of anxiety even more and I have that thought "only x hours left til I have to get up and go to work...", best not to know. Acceptance does sometimes help, accepting that ok this has happened before and I think I'm not going to cope with the exhaustion, but in fact I always do, even though it sucks.

The other thing I have done sometimes, if I know on x day I have a really important event or big day out, I deliberately keep myself up most of the night before, the night before if you see what I mean, so that the night before the big event I'm so exhausted I sleep like a log. This has worked, slightly risky strategy though.

I have also tried Alto's strategy of seeing my magnesium tablet as like the magic pill that's going to do it. Hasn't really worked for me though.

Well, my experience with ambien lasted one night.

I took 10mg to get back to sleep with gave me an additional 1 hour and 40 minutes. Then I developed the wonderful side effect of suicidal depression. Fortunately, I realized this was a side effect so I knew it would pass and it did that morning.

Anyway, even though I fall asleep within a few minutes due to being so sleep deprived, I think I am going to try taking something before going to bed to see if that can at least give me longer initial sleep on the apap machine. Last night, I woke up after 2.5 hours, took a mag/cal and a small amount of glycine that I think got me back to sleep for about an hour.

Needless to say, I am pretty desperate.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Moderator Emeritus

Ambien is nuts, don't mess with that stuff if you can help it.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

• Moderator Emeritus

Compsports,

I really feel for you. :( so many of us understand what lack of sleep is like, myself included. It seems like we all need something magical to happen and we are all looking for anything that will help us sleep.

Nikki sure named this topic very well, "sleep wonderful sleep". It's something we all long for.

Hugs and love,

Tezza

Wanting to sleep is something I long to do. Last night was another bad one but I can lay down quietly to rest my body. If only I knew the answer but after being drug free for a number of years my sleep cycle hasn't righted itself. I've tried all the sleep techniques and OTC meds but they caused me to feel edgy. It's not fun to feel sleep deprived, foggy headed and indescribably tired. Trying to explain to others why I'm not sleeping goes no where but at least here it's understood. :)

Unable at this time to correspond by private message.

Link to my Introduction thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2477-aria-my-psych-journey/

Reading my psychiatric records: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5466-drugged-crazy-reading-my-psychiatric-records/

My Success Story is listed under "Aria's Recovery".

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey everyone,

I found this article comforting:

http://www.sciencealert.com.au/opinions/20122708-23690.html

Thanks Tezza,

Actually, I did better simply waiting to go back to sleep without taking anything. Didn't get much additional sleep after an initial 4 hours off of the machine but I think at least the quality was better although certainly not that great.

But at least by taking some supplements, I had decent functioning in the morning before fading.

I hope things improve for you.

Compsports,

I really feel for you. :( so many of us understand what lack of sleep is like, myself included. It seems like we all need something magical to happen and we are all looking for anything that will help us sleep.

Nikki sure named this topic very well, "sleep wonderful sleep". It's something we all long for.

Hugs and love,

Tezza

Wanting to sleep is something I long to do. Last night was another bad one but I can lay down quietly to rest my body. If only I knew the answer but after being drug free for a number of years my sleep cycle hasn't righted itself. I've tried all the sleep techniques and OTC meds but they caused me to feel edgy. It's not fun to feel sleep deprived, foggy headed and indescribably tired. Trying to explain to others why I'm not sleeping goes no where but at least here it's understood. :)

Gosh Aria, I have been dealing with sleep issues at least since 2008 and it sounds like yours have lasted alot longer than that. I don't know you keep your sanity.

I am convinced by the way that most OTC meds do not work just like prescriptions meds don't. Just a gut feeling.

CS

Ambien is nuts, don't mess with that stuff if you can help it.

Not going to with one exception. If I decide to have a sleep study, I will need to take something. But that is the only time I will ever take it again.

CS

• Moderator Emeritus

Compsports, I too am not convinced that any sleep remedies really work, I've tried all sorts and if my brain is set on having a bad night, ain't nothing going to stop it, except the odd tamezapam but scared of going down that road. I am fortunate that I do have a lot of "good" nights though so my suffering is not so bad.

That article was interesting Basildev, I have to say I don't think I've ever slept a continuous 8 hours, I've always woken at some point for the loo or a think and then gone back to sleep and that's fine, it's the whole night tossing and turning, and nothing but nothing can touch it, pills, mindfulness, acceptance etc, I've tried it all, if I'm not gonna sleep I'm not gonna sleep, maybe that's the withdrawal state.

Totally agree Strawberry.

Interestingly, I slept off of the machine last night and woke up after 4 hours. Lay back down listening to a podcast and fell back asleep for nearly 3 hours. By the way, I had consumed coffee at 3pm and had little expectation of being able to sleep. Hmm.

Yup strawberry, the brain decides what is going to happen and in my opinion, nothing overrides that.

CS

PS - I haven't slept through the night in years.

Compsports, I too am not convinced that any sleep remedies really work, I've tried all sorts and if my brain is set on having a bad night, ain't nothing going to stop it, except the odd tamezapam but scared of going down that road. I am fortunate that I do have a lot of "good" nights though so my suffering is not so bad.

That article was interesting Basildev, I have to say I don't think I've ever slept a continuous 8 hours, I've always woken at some point for the loo or a think and then gone back to sleep and that's fine, it's the whole night tossing and turning, and nothing but nothing can touch it, pills, mindfulness, acceptance etc, I've tried it all, if I'm not gonna sleep I'm not gonna sleep, maybe that's the withdrawal state.

hi...I've been following this thread all along and I've struggled with sleep for eons and still do, but there are LOTS of things I must do daily in combination.

I believe I've already shared my insomnia post here but I want to share one other post with two exercises...if you've never tried them I highly recommend them because I agree, supplements are not really the way to go and in fact continue the mind set that drugs do...if you take supplements with an allopathic mindset it's really no different than drugs in terms of healing...(this doesn't mean I don't take them when appropriate but I am aware that this is going on for me)

anyway...

check these exercises out...do them slowly, intentionally...relax deeply into them and experiment with them. I do them everyday...often several times a day and a couple of times a night.

I don't expect everyone to find them helpful but I also find that many people don't even try exercises of these sort.

http://beyondmeds.com/2013/01/31/simple-yoga/

I'm not explicit in this post that they are for insomnia but they are also included in my insomnia post...these two exercises have been critical to my sleep coming back...at the very least they help soothe my nervous system over the long haul for long term healing....this is something that is part of a practice for healing...not an instant cure-all, though there are times it's certainly enough to get me a bit of sleep now.

• Moderator Emeritus

Strawberry, I think you're right.

I don't take any supplements for sleep any more. I agree - if I'm not sleeping I'm not sleeping and nothing can touch that.

I don't believe you can 'mind over matter' withdrawal.

Giak, thanks for the exercise link. I'll give it a go.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy