SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Tips to help sleep: so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Altostrata

Lilu,

I totally relate to your situation.    On the night of my titration study to determine the right pressure for my pap machine, I took a Temazepam because otherwise, I wasn't going to sleep with all those wires attached to me and being forced to start at a low pressure that felt suffocating.   Tech put the starting pressure as high as she could without causing trouble for herself.

I woke up the next morning with the typical grogginess that I always experience when taking this med.   But once it wore up, due to sleeping nearly 6 hours, I was able to drive to a favorite grocery store I hadn't been to in months and accomplished many tasks.   Sadly, though, once noon hit when I was home, I felt like the folks in Awakenings who had returned to a coma like state even though obviously my situation was not quite the same.

I guess in a way this was fortunate because it made me realize that I didn't want to try this med on a full time basis.   But if I had remained functional the whole day, I would have been very tempted even knowing what I know about meds only being a temporary problem and with it being hard to get off of benzo like drugs.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Yes but being right means nothing. It is a he11 of a place to be, desperate for sleep. Sleep must be wooed by an amorous suitor with just the right touch or she flees in disgust, her return capricious and fickle. I never knew how much sleep meant till I could not call it up at will anymore. I'll never again take it for granted. It is the only respite in endless days of cortisol-fueled madness and akasthisia riddled hours. I don't ever want to go there again. Be glad you get any sleep at all. I clearly remember the days when I laid down to try to sleep and that was all my body needed to set up that inner vibration which destroyed any chance for calm for hours. You know what precipitated my wd syndrome? The doc convinced me that taking atarax (vistaril) 3 times a day would help with what he thought was sinus pressure because it is an antihistamine. Nope, it was the beginning of wd and I had no clue. That's why benadryl is not a good idea either. Both can push a fragile nervous system over the edge.

I want to go into an induced coma until this is over. In the middle of a CT AD WD, only 5 months out, and still on dose of Ativan, which does nothing, but now is making me manic, which is fantastic for sleep, and now left with the sh*tty choices of tapering it now, which sounds like a disaster, or holding to see if it passes, which sounds equally as sh*tty.

Coma, please. Wake me up in 3 years

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

Ambien is barely working for me these days. I took 5 mg regular ambien and 5 mg extended release together last night at 11pm. By 3:30 am, I was awake. I took another 5 mg at 4:00 am and it did absolutely nothing.  Now I feel like a zombie, like I haven't slept at all, and I'm having crying spells.  I'm so exhausted and distraught.  The night before slept even less, but also with ambien.  

I never got the prescription for Lunesta. I'm a little afraid of it, though. It has a half life of 6 hrs. In my exprerience all these meds last a lot longer in my system than they're supposed to.

God, I'm exhausted.  Last night I gave sleep a chance to come on it's own for 3 hours. I couldn't even read, my eyes kept closing. I was so tired I crawled into bed at 8 pm. The whole entire time, I felt that my consciousness was just teetering on the edge of sleep, but somehow just unable to cross over.

I don't know what to take anymore. In the past, I found Klonopin to be very helpful. It was a way I had always gotten off of using Ambien, because it is so long-acting.  But a few weeks ago, I threw out in a fit of rage.

Has anyone had any success with a muscle relaxer called Tizanidine/Zanaflex?

What about Trazodone?  I took it once and even after an hour I was still awake.

2005-2008: Effexor; 1/2008 Tapered 3 months, then quit. 7/2008-2009 Reinstated Effexor (crying spells at start of new job.)
2009-3/2013: Switched to Pristiq 50 mg then 100 mg
3/2013: Switched to Lexapro 10mg. Cut down to 5 mg. CT for 2 weeks then reinstated for 6 weeks
8/2013-8/2014: Tapering Lexapro (Lots of withdrawal symptoms)
11/2014 -8/2015: Developed severe insomnia and uncontrollable daily crying spells
12/2014-6/2015: Tried Ambien, Klonopin, Ativan, Lunesta, Sonata, Trazadone, Seroquel, Rameron, Gabapentin - Developed Anxiety disorder, PTSD, and Psychogenic Myoclonus
7/2015-1/2016: Reinstated Lexapro 2 mg (mild improvement, but crying spells still present)

1/2016-5/2017: Lexapro 5 mg ( helped a lot, but poor stress tolerance & depressive episodes)

5/20/2017 - Raised dose to Lexapro 10 mg due to lingering depression(Total of 2 failed tapers & severe PAWS)

9/11/2018 - Present: Still on 10 mg Lexapro and mostly recovered.(Anxiety still triggers Myoclonus.)

10/7/2022 - 20 mg Lexapro (brand only) Plus occasional Klonopin for anxiety and Ambien for insomnia.

Wow, Lilu. There are just no words.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Administrator

Learning how to meditate could get you off that dependence on sleep drugs, which you can see always goes south.

It would take a while, but your nervous system will eventually calm down and sleep on its own.

Are you paying attention to your sleep hygiene, keeping the bedroom dark and cool, etc.? Please read this topic from the beginning.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I am new to this site and this forum.  I too have sleep problems - never did before withdrawal :(  I do take an antihistamine called Vistaril or Hydroxyzine HCL that is nonaddictive and helps alcoholics detox.  I only use tiny amounts when needed - 1/4 to 1 tablet.  Mainly for anxiety, but it will also help me fall asleep.  I still wake in a few hours, but it helps.  Just a thought...

1998- Began taking 20 mg. of Paxil for homesickness 2001-CT and crash/hospitalized 1 week for anxiety. Tried quitting, changing to other ADs, gave up. 2014 -Weaned @ 10% every 4 weeks. Latest 5-14 11.7 mg., 6-14 10.5 mg., 8-21 9.5 mg., 9-17 7.7 mg.,10-14 6.9 mg., 11-14 6.2 mg., 12-14 5.6 mg., 1-15 5.0 mg. 2-15 4.5 mg. (miscalculated may actually be 3.3), up-dosed to 3.7 3-17-15. Hydroxyzine HCl 25 mg. as needed (antihistamine) for anxiety.

• Moderator Emeritus

I have never found sleeping tablets to be effective.   They don't put me to sleep and they give me a hangover.

At my worst, the best that I could do was focus on relaxing rather than sleeping.  I found that if I relaxed as much as possible and gave up on the idea of sleep I could get enough rest through the night to put one foot in front of the other the next day.   I also found that I was less stressed about it which over time contributed positively to my anxiety levels and thus ability to sleep.  I listened to a lot of sleep hypnosis apps on my phone (again, you have to find the one that is right for you, if the voice is not right or the pace, it will be annoying rather than soothing).   A combination of magnesium and taurine was a god send, helping me to drift from relaxation to sleep and from light sleep to deeper sleep.

Over time I have come to think that sleep, for those who struggle, comes about through 100 different things but that each persons combination of 100 things is different.  Very frustrating!!

You have to work on identifying and bringing your '100 things' together without investing really heavily in your insomnia.   Gently address your light exposure, diet, exercise, sleep hygiene, supplements, mindfullness/hypnosis etc, without putting a lot of energy into your insomnia and how utterly shattered you feel

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

This is the most concise explanation of the importance of getting 'rest' during that awful insomnia phase of withdrawal. I am going to add it to 'Best of SA' so I can find it again whenever I want to remind someone who is frantic about not being able to sleep that the humal body can survive perfectly well on 'rest' if need be.

Thanks Dalsaan.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

For me, what works best is to go to the living room and watch infomercials.   Put me right to sleep although unfortunately, when I lay back down, I never get more than an additional hour and end up feeling like cr-p.  

But unless I am really tired, laying down with a mask and air blowing into my nose doesn't feel good.

On an OT note, maybe if my sleep doctor was doing her job and paying attention to making sure I had the right machine settings, maybe this topic would be moot for me.   Don't know for sure but it greatly angers me.  

Agree CW that Dalsaan's advice will work for alot of people.  If I didn't have sleep apnea, I would just put on a podcast and lie back down.

CS

Agree CW that Dalsaan's advice will work for alot of people. 

Yes, I know it works because I did it. But convincing others it will is an uphill battle. It is so very hard to unhook the idea "I must get sleep or else I cannot function" in people's minds. Granted, your functioning might be reduced but I survived very well until my sleep started coming back, which took several months. In the meantime I got used to that 'raw around the edges' feeling we all get when we don't get what we think is our normal quota of sleep. The body is remarkably adaptive (just like it adapts to the effects of AD's, some of which are completely horrid!)

Your case is complicated, CS. I hope one day you get it sorted out.

Yes, I know it works because I did it. But convincing others it will is an uphill battle. It is so very hard to unhook the idea "I must get sleep or else I cannot function" in people's minds. Granted, your functioning might be reduced but I survived very well until my sleep started coming back, which took several months. In the meantime I got used to that 'raw around the edges' feeling we all get when we don't get what we think is our normal quota of sleep. The body is remarkably adaptive (just like it adapts to the effects of AD's, some of which are completely horrid!)

CW,

It depends on the type of sleep we are talking about.   About a month ago, I only slept 4 hours but the quality must have really been great because I got things done I hadn't accomplished in months.  I still was tired and had to take many breaks but the difference was I was able to accomplishe another task after taking a short rest.   Normally, I was not getting anything done.

Now if folks aren't getting enough sleep and the quality is bad which is more my situation and possibly other folks who have posted about sleep issues, then it is very hard to function for several months.  Now unfortunately, people might not have any choice but to find a way to deal with it but I would personally feel like I was being disengenous if I told them they could survive.

I still like Dalsan's advice because it is a good way of relieving the depression one feels if you are depressing about being up.   But laying down without sleep is definitely not a substitute for good quality sleep and I think we need to be honest about that. in my opinion.

But laying down without sleep is definitely not a substitute for good quality sleep

I don't believe any of us has ever said it is a substitute for sleep per se. It is the only thing available when sleep refuses to come and will make the difference between a protracted wd that is agonizing to live through vs. one that is 'manageable'. I thought this went without saying. That it just does not work for you is not the issue.

Wow, Lilu. There are just no words.

You know, just like in the method of reinstating a drug, just to get out of crisis mode, one needs to take a drug short-term. After 3 nights on 3 hrs of sleep, I was pretty much non-functional.  I was so desperate for sleep, I would have gone to the ER and asked for IV sedation, if it wasn't for the Lorazepam that I had.  I finally slept 8 hours last night. And now I once again have the resilience to explore non-drug means to tackle my anxiety and my insomnia. So don't judge me, okay?

2005-2008: Effexor; 1/2008 Tapered 3 months, then quit. 7/2008-2009 Reinstated Effexor (crying spells at start of new job.)
3/2013: Switched to Lexapro 10mg. Cut down to 5 mg. CT for 2 weeks then reinstated for 6 weeks
11/2014 -8/2015: Developed severe insomnia and uncontrollable daily crying spells
12/2014-6/2015: Tried Ambien, Klonopin, Ativan, Lunesta, Sonata, Trazadone, Seroquel, Rameron, Gabapentin - Developed Anxiety disorder, PTSD, and Psychogenic Myoclonus
7/2015-1/2016: Reinstated Lexapro 2 mg (mild improvement, but crying spells still present)

1/2016-5/2017: Lexapro 5 mg ( helped a lot, but poor stress tolerance & depressive episodes)

5/20/2017 - Raised dose to Lexapro 10 mg due to lingering depression(Total of 2 failed tapers & severe PAWS)

9/11/2018 - Present: Still on 10 mg Lexapro and mostly recovered.(Anxiety still triggers Myoclonus.)

10/7/2022 - 20 mg Lexapro (brand only) Plus occasional Klonopin for anxiety and Ambien for insomnia.

It is erroneous to assume that all people can function on the same reduced sleep time.  My mom has been functioning quite well lately on 4 hours of sleep. But me?  I know what I'm like, how I feel, what my mood is like, what I'm capable of doing when my sleep is anything less than the 8 hours that I need.  We are all different, and our need for sleep is different.

Yes but being right means nothing. It is a he11 of a place to be, desperate for sleep. Sleep must be wooed by an amorous suitor with just the right touch or she flees in disgust, her return capricious and fickle. I never knew how much sleep meant till I could not call it up at will anymore. I'll never again take it for granted. It is the only respite in endless days of cortisol-fueled madness and akasthisia riddled hours. I don't ever want to go there again. Be glad you get any sleep at all. I clearly remember the days when I laid down to try to sleep and that was all my body needed to set up that inner vibration which destroyed any chance for calm for hours. You know what precipitated my wd syndrome? The doc convinced me that taking atarax (vistaril) 3 times a day would help with what he thought was sinus pressure because it is an antihistamine. Nope, it was the beginning of wd and I had no clue. That's why benadryl is not a good idea either. Both can push a fragile nervous system over the edge.

CW,

As an FYI, it is hard to be grateful for any sleep when you wake up and still feel totally non functional and wonder how you can accomplish even one vital task that needs to get done.

Do u have to work?

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

• Moderator Emeritus

I have had to work through extreme insomnia. It's the hardest thing I have ever had to do but getting up when I couldn't sleep (which is the common advice) only made that worse for me.

Resting never replaces sleep. but in the absence of sleep I will take all the rest I can get until I can work through my 100 things to get to a better place.

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

I have had to work through extreme insomnia. It's the hardest thing I have ever had to do but getting up when I couldn't sleep (which is the common advice) only made that worse for me.

Resting never replaces sleep. but in the absence of sleep I will take all the rest I can get until I can work through my 100 things to get to a better place.

Dalsaan, you have to what works best.   Standard advise says not to watch TV because of the light.   Doing so gets me back to sleep.

CW,

As an FYI, it is hard to be grateful for any sleep when you wake up and still feel totally non functional and wonder how you can accomplish even one vital task that needs to get done.

Do u have to work?

I am not working now but I will need to.

• Moderator Emeritus

standard advice usually says get up and do mundane things like ironing (as opposed to tv watching for the reasons you identify CS).   Ironing is very dangerous for someone that is totally sleep deprived!   I don't recommend gun cleaning or wood chopping either.

standard advice usually says get up and do mundane things like ironing (as opposed to tv watching for the reasons you identify CS). Ironing is very dangerous for someone that is totally sleep deprived! I don't recommend gun cleaning or wood chopping either.

That made me laugh :) Thx. I needed it

• 2 weeks later...

http://eatlocalgrown.com/article/13809-sleep-through-the-night.html

This may be silly, but it is about using honey at bedtime to support blood sugar and liver function during sleep to reduce insomnia. I think most of us have sleep issues a bit beyond this, but passing it on in case it helps someone,

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• Administrator

Honey or sugar in any form might make you sleepy, but it will be metabolized fairly quickly. It won't support blood sugar throughout the night.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

The worst month of insomnia I have ever had.  Ambien no longer works. Lunesta doesnt let me go into deep sleep. Even 6 mgs gives me 5 hrs at the most. Klonopin and Ativan are just way to lethargy producing. But worst of all they cause awful crying spells. I have never had so little sleep for so long. My mental and physical health has really deteriorated.

So supplements. There are lots of suggestions, but I am still confused. Which do I take in the morning? Which do I take at night? Which do I take together?

And if sleeping pills and benzos cause Gaba receptors to become desensitized, isn't taking supplements like Inositol, akin to beating a dead horse?

How do i get back to normal?  Back in October, I suddenly had a window where I was drug-free, falling asleep and staying asleep on my own. Until I started experiencing 1 or 3 or 5 am wakings and being unable to go back to sleep.

This article here suggests Glutamine, B6, Taurine, and zinc as a way to help the body naturally make more Gaba.

http://www.vitalityandwellness.com.au/health-blog/sleep-maintenance-insomnia-i-can-t-stay-asleep

Inositol does so many things in the body, but I think the idea of supplementing is to strongly pick up the signal that the GABA receptors receive so weakly. Second messengers receive the impulse from the neurotransmitters that bind to the surface of the neuroreceptor...that sentence is science, the rest is just what I have read. I am not sleeping great, but as fast I am dropping, I wouldn't be sleeping at all without it. I hope you find help soon!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

56 years old

Lilu,

I just read the article and the author has no more idea than the rest of the experts.   The fact is that being on these meds have destroyed our sleep cyles big time and figuring out what works is trial and error because no one has any bleeping clue.   That applies to meds and OTC remedies.

By the way, if you want extra reading material, google alcohol withdrawal insomnia.   Alcoholics abstaining from alcohol are going through the same thing and again, there are no answers.

Reading an interesting, relatively simple book that focuses on stress and sleep: The Adrenal Reset Diet by Alan Christianson. Much more than dietary advice.

56 years old

Reading an interesting, relatively simple book that focuses on stress and sleep: The Adrenal Reset Diet by Alan Christianson. Much more than dietary advice.

Hi Meime,

I just downloaded a sample to my Kindle.  Not sure I want to buy it so I would love to hear what you think after finishing it.

It does intrigue as he seems to talk about recycling carbs and proteins.   Due to metabolic concerns (A1c keeps inching up toward the prediabetic range), I have tried very hard to limit my carbs.   But I think it had a very negative effect mood and possibly sleep wise.   So I would love to know what he says about the subject.

Today, my goal is to limit the carbs until I eat a banana before going to bed to see what happens.   Of course, I will probably won't be able to make any conclusions but at least it is a start.

It is the stuff on sleep I find most interesting. Not that it would interest you :)

56 years old

He feels too low-carb is counterproductive for adrenal issues, but the carbs need to be later in day.

56 years old

It is the stuff on sleep I find most interesting. Not that it would interest you :)

Nah, no interest whatsoever.  BORING! :lol:

He feels too low-carb is counterproductive for adrenal issues, but the carbs need to be later in day.

It sounds like he and I are thinking similarly.

LOL Dalsaan. Very funny!

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

• Moderator Emeritus

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

I have had a hellish month of insomnia, and crying spells due to using sleeping pills and benzos. They don't work on me anymore. It seems that my gaba receptors have become desensitized or something. Most recent experience was with Sonata, which was awful. It gave me the worst suicidal thoughts and drowsiness that lasted all day. I felt worse after using Sonata than not getting any sleep at all last night. None. Even after taking 2 mg of Ativan.

So, I saw my Psych today, and she thinks that Mirtazipine is the answer for my anxiety and sleeplessness.  My nerves feel like they are shot to shreds. I need to stabilize and sleep. She suggested I start with half of the lowest dose nightly. She seems to think that I can do this for two weeks and then cut the pill in half for a week and just stop.

Please need feedback asap.  Thank you.

Just google this site and mirt or Remeron, in my opinion, it has "frying pan to fire" written all over it. But that is just my opinion. I am really sorry it is so hard.

56 years old

Hi Lilu,

I definitely understand the desperation but since Mirtazipine is an AD, it might not be as easy to stop as the psych doctor thinks it is even at a low dose.   Still, as a rescue med, it might be what you need to get over the hump.

This thread might be useful:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=76103.0

Have you tried all the OTC solutions like Tryptophan, 5htp, melatonin, valerian, etc.?   Swanson Vitamins has a 365 money back guarantee and will even pay shipping if you return an item as an FYI.

I can vouch for melatonin. It's a subtle effect - and maybe partially a placebo - but a dose of that has just enough power to aid my sleep.

Feb 7th, 2008 - Prozac at 60mg and Zoloft at 25mg (the end result of five or more years of tinkering trying in vain to reduce my OCD symptoms.) 

Jan 19th, 2010 - Prozac at 60mg and Zoloft at 125mg. By this time I started experiencing muted orgasm and tinnitus. Decided to taper down meds.

May 25th, 2010 - Prozac at 60mg and Zoloft at 37.5mg.

Feb 4th, 2011 - Lexapro at 10mg (after hospital visit during my first withdrawal period. I tapered too fast bit didn't know it at the time.)

Feb 24th, 2011 - Prozac at 40mg with 0.25mg Xanax as needed (Prozac sucks but Lexapro was worse. Lesser of two evils, I guess.) 

Apr 12th, 2012 - Prozac at 60mg and Zoloft at 25mg with Buspar 10mg as needed for sleep (Buspar's the kids' gloves version of Xanax.) 

Jul 18th, 2013 - Prozac still at 60mg (my main B) and no longer taking the Zoloft.)

Mar 5th, 2014 - After months of mounting doubt about the prospects of life-long medication, decided to taper Prozac. Unfortunately, I didn't understand the dangers of SSRI discontinuation syndrome so my taper was only over a period of two months. 

Dec 16th, 2014 - Back on a low dose (20mg) of Prozac to stabilize.

Nov 11th, 2015 - After a nearly year long taper, I took my final 1mg dose of Prozac on my birthday. Finally, I'm SSRI-free. It's a good feeling, though my troubles remain. 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy