GeoJeep: 14 doses of Fluoxetine fried my brain

GeoJeep

I’ve occasionally lurked here over the past 7 months, and I didn’t think I’d end up making an account, but I’m at the end of of my rope, and I could really use some peer support. Here it goes…

I(male 22) have struggled with severe depression for most of my life. It wasn’t an easy road, but, by the age of 20, I had managed to overcome it for the most part with lifestyle changes and psychotherapy. However, by the end of my first semester of college after a 2 year hiatus from my studies, the depression began to read its ugly head once again.

Worried that another major depressive episode would affect my academic performance, and not wanting to to put in the effort to implement rigorous lifestyle changes with an already busy schedule, I decided to take a shortcut that had been recommended to me by therapists for years: an antidepressant medication.

Near the end of the winter break, I received a prescription for fluoxetine and 20mg/day, and took my first dose on December 23, 2020. Within a few days, I was feeling great. I had more energy, my mood was consistently positive, with only two noticeable side effects - some sexual dysfunction and mild derealization. Although these effects were bothersome, I was happy with the positive effects, and was confident that getting on medication was the best choice I could have made. However, that would change in just a few short days.

The derealization became more intense over the next several days until January 2, when things turned sour. I was on a hike with a friend of mine when a wave of symptoms stuck me like lightening, as if my brain had somehow blown a fuse. The derealization became incredibly intense, and I had suddenly had lost a good deal of cognitive function. My thinking became fuzzy, and it was as though I could no longer process information; information seemed to simply bounce off me without being registered in my brain. The next few days were terrifying, as I was convinced that the pills I took had damaged my brain. After talking to my psychiatrist about these issues, I took my final dose on January 5, 2021, being told that these effects would wear off within a few days.

Contrary to the beliefs of my psychiatrist, my condition worsened over the next several days, with new symptoms such as extreme fatigue, numbness, tingling and burning sensations, complete loss of emotions, intense anxiety, and panic attacks. After two hellish weeks, it seemed as though I had finally reached a climax, and my symptoms slowly began to improve. 

Unfortunately, this improvement did not last. On February 4th, my symptoms rapidly intensified with even more symptoms appearing such as depersonalization, exercise intolerance, impaired coordination, visual snow/retinal after images, migraines, dizziness, disorientation, confusion, phantosmia, anhedonia, aphasia, muscle twitches, “hangover feeling”, inability to regulate behavior, sensitivity to light and sound, intolerance or cold and heat, feeling of “nervous system overload”, impaired memory, and extreme mental fatigue. After these new symptoms set in, I was forced to withdraw from school and move back in with my parents.

Since then, I have for the most part remained in the same condition. The sexual dysfunction, phantosmia, muscle twitches, and strange bodily sensations have remitted, but most of my symptoms have either remained constant or worsened over time, though I have had brief windows where the headaches, dizziness, aphasia and some other symptoms have remitted. The DP/DR has not remitted, although it is far less intense that it was a few months ago.

So that’s basically it. I’m sure I’ve left some things out, but I’m losing steam over here, and this post is long enough already. I’m sure it is normal to feel this way, but it is worth mentioning that I am absolutely terrified that I’ll never recover. I have become so suicidal that my parents have made me surrender my rifle, debit/credit cards, and car keys so that they can make sure I won’t attempt suicide. I haven’t felt a genuine emotion in 7 months, and I’m so mentally fatigued and cognitively impaired that I struggle to complete basic tasks such as doing laundry, showering, or eating. And even when I can muster the energy to complete such tasks, my executive function is too impaired to organize a schedule for myself, and I spend most days watching cartoons, picking the same few songs out on my guitar, and laying in bed. I no longer have the energy to socialize, and I have stopped talking to many of my friends. I feel completely and utterly dead inside, as though I am merely a ghost of my former self.

I spent the past few months stressing out and agonizing over my symptoms, which I now realize probably only made things worse, so I am currently working on keeping my nervous system as calm as possible. I have also recently started a mild exercise regimen with a physical therapist. I’m hoping that these are good first steps to take towards recovery, and any advice would be greatly appreciated!

For reference or TLDR, here’s a little timeline

12/23/20 - started fluoxetine 20mg/day, noticed mild symptoms immediately

1/2/21 - severe adverse reaction symptoms set in

1/5/21 - stopped fluoxetine

1/19/21 - symptoms began to remit

2/4/21 - symptoms greatly increased in intensity

7/29/21 - most symptoms still present

12/23/20 - started fluoxetine 20mg/day

1/2/21 - adverse reaction symptoms appeared

1/5/21 - stopped fluoxetine CT

present - some symptoms have remitted, but most have remained

Symptoms that have fully remitted: phantosmia, burning/tingling sensations on skin, muscle spasms

Symptoms that have partially remitted: numbness, DP/DR, impaired coordination, panic attacks

Symptoms that are still present: mental and physical fatigue, cognitive impairment(memory, concentration, problem solving, executive function, etc…), visual snow/retinal after images, headaches, feeling hungover, anhedonia, aphasia, loss of emotions, confusion/disorientation, loss of appetite, exercise intolerance, sensitivity to light/sound/temperature, depression, anxiety, “nervous system overload” feeling, sexual dysfunction(remitted and relapsed)

Welcome to SA GeoJeep, 

I am really sorry that you have suffered with depression for so long and are now dealing with the drug adverse effects/withdrawal. It will get better, let me reassure you. As you have noticed with yourself, some symptoms are already getting better and you have also recognized the windows and waves pattern in yourself. Your brain is healing and especially at your age it is very resilient and plastic so it will get better. 

Since you have been around the forums for a while I suspect you know the major recommendations - magnesium and Omega-3 but start them separately and at low doses in case they cause more adverse effects. 

Have you seen the Success Stories forum? They sustain many of us on this difficult path.  

Success stories: Recovery from psychiatric drug withdrawal - Surviving Antidepressants

What are you doing to manage your symptoms? Are you getting any help such as a therapy? What is your environment like - are you getting support from family and friends? Able to exercise?

Wishing you a big bright window soon, 
OMW

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

If you would like to get a response from me directly please type @Onmyway some place in your message so I get notified of your post. I am not able to follow all of the threads all the time.

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week, 

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

1 hour ago, Onmyway said:

Welcome to SA GeoJeep, 

I am really sorry that you have suffered with depression for so long and are now dealing with the drug adverse effects/withdrawal. It will get better, let me reassure you. As you have noticed with yourself, some symptoms are already getting better and you have also recognized the windows and waves pattern in yourself. Your brain is healing and especially at your age it is very resilient and plastic so it will get better. 

Since you have been around the forums for a while I suspect you know the major recommendations - magnesium and Omega-3 but start them separately and at low doses in case they cause more adverse effects. 

Have you seen the Success Stories forum? They sustain many of us on this difficult path.  

Success stories: Recovery from psychiatric drug withdrawal - Surviving Antidepressants

What are you doing to manage your symptoms? Are you getting any help such as a therapy? What is your environment like - are you getting support from family and friends? Able to exercise?

Wishing you a big bright window soon, 
OMW

Thank you for the reply!

Currently, I am mainly focusing on trying to manage stress. I try to stay occupied with small things during the day such as playing guitar/banjo, doodling, or other pleasant activities, but I have to be careful not to overdo it, as I have learned that overworking my brain, even with these gentle activities, leads to a sharp increase in the severity of my symptoms, especially the headaches and dizziness. At the present moment, I have found that I can engage in mildly cognitively stimulating tasks for around an hour at a time before needing to rest.

My mother is close friends with a naturopath, and I am on a cocktail of supplements under the supervision of the aforementioned naturopath, including magnesium and omega-3. I have not noticed any effects from these supplements, positive or negative, although I will continue to take them regardless. According to the naturopath, I also have some sort of gut dysbiosis, and part of the supplement protocol is to deal with that issue, although I am not entirely convinced of the validity of her diagnoses or the protocol she has prescribed, though I will continue to comply with it as well, as it does not seem to be making my situation any worse at the moment.

I have seen my therapist a few times since this all started, but we have agreed that talk therapy isn't especially beneficial to me at the moment, as the fatigue and cognitive deficits have made it too difficult for me to make it through a session.

My family and friends have been very supportive, and even the friends that I no longer talk to have been very understanding of my condition. This is a terrible thing to say, but the optimism that they all have expressed regarding my condition has actually bothered me at times, as I can't seem to bring myself to believe that I will ever regain any functionality. I moved in with my parents after it became apparent that I was no longer capable of caring for myself, and now I mostly just stay at home in quiet solitude. I have been doing the exercises that my physical therapist has prescribed for about 6 weeks, although I have yet to notice any improvement from them.

Symptoms that have fully remitted: phantosmia, burning/tingling sensations on skin, muscle spasms

Symptoms that have partially remitted: numbness, DP/DR, impaired coordination, panic attacks

Symptoms that are still present: mental and physical fatigue, cognitive impairment(memory, concentration, problem solving, executive function, etc…), visual snow/retinal after images, headaches, feeling hungover, anhedonia, aphasia, loss of emotions, confusion/disorientation, loss of appetite, exercise intolerance, sensitivity to light/sound/temperature, depression, anxiety, “nervous system overload” feeling, sexual dysfunction(remitted and relapsed)

8/4/21

There has been a development in my condition, so I’m recording it here for future reference.

I’ve been undergoing treatment under the supervision of a naturopath with various probiotics and natural anti-fungal remedies for about 6 weeks. I noticed some GI issues near the beginning of the treatment, but they were mild enough that I complied with the protocol regardless.

However, these GI issues have gradually become more intense, to the point of causing notable discomfort throughout the day. Interestingly, I’ve noticed that symptoms such as anhedonia and emotional anesthesia have also gradually worsened proportionally to the increase in GI symptoms. I have also noticed a relapse in sexual dysfunction.

As of today, I am stopping this treatment in attempt to stop the progression of these symptoms. I also plan to get a comprehensive stool test to hopefully gain some insight into the root of the GI issues.

46 minutes ago, GeoJeep said:

8/4/21

There has been a development in my condition, so I’m recording it here for future reference.

I’ve been undergoing treatment under the supervision of a naturopath with various probiotics and natural anti-fungal remedies for about 6 weeks. I noticed some GI issues near the beginning of the treatment, but they were mild enough that I complied with the protocol regardless.

However, these GI issues have gradually become more intense, to the point of causing notable discomfort throughout the day. Interestingly, I’ve noticed that symptoms such as anhedonia and emotional anesthesia have also gradually worsened proportionally to the increase in GI symptoms. I have also noticed a relapse in sexual dysfunction.

As of today, I am stopping this treatment in attempt to stop the progression of these symptoms. I also plan to get a comprehensive stool test to hopefully gain some insight into the root of the GI issues.

Do not be surprised if these tests do not show anything. When at my worst my gut was really screwed up as there are more serotonin receptors in your stomach than your brain. So it would make sense that if you are feeling withdrawal from the AD being taken away and your receptors having to adjust that your gut could be out of wack.

I had daily IBS pain, more urgent bowel movements, and the feeling like I wasn't processing the nutrients in my food causing lethargy. As soon as I started to stabilize this all started to get better.

40 yo Male. Started Paxil about 15 years ago. 10 mg (pill weight .125 - .129 g). 5 yrs wanted less side effects, doctor took me off Paxil over couple week period and put me on Wellbutrin. Not good. Went back on Paxil. Relieved my symptoms, but didn't work as well and more side effects. Severe reaction between Paxil and Zomig Summer of 2012. Head was affected during warmer days (cloudiness, confusion, pressure). Began 10% withdrawal 10/24/12.

Withdrawel helped many symptoms, but also added side effects: nausea, dizziness, tiredness. Hyper-anxiety started January 2014.

Went through a 2 year period of de-realization (2016-2018).  Rarely any windows.  
Current dose: 0.00 as of 4/10/21.  Made a lot of progress in my withdrawal symptoms the last 2 years of my taper.  I think doing a liquid taper helped stabilize things on the lower doses.  A lot of my symptoms have reduced significantly.  Hoping for even more improvement now that I am off.
My thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8909-rusty1-paxil-withdrawal-help-and-advice-welcome/#entry150222

39 minutes ago, Rusty1 said:

Do not be surprised if these tests do not show anything. When at my worst my gut was really screwed up as there are more serotonin receptors in your stomach than your brain. So it would make sense that if you are feeling withdrawal from the AD being taken away and your receptors having to adjust that your gut could be out of wack.

I had daily IBS pain, more urgent bowel movements, and the feeling like I wasn't processing the nutrients in my food causing lethargy. As soon as I started to stabilize this all started to get better.

I took a stool test a few months ago and was diagnosed with gut dysbiosis, which is why I was on that treatment protocol. I don’t remember the exact results, but I had like 4 or 5 strains of opportunistic bacteria that shouldn’t be present.

The thing is, I didn’t have these GI issues before, so I’m wondering if maybe the previous test was inaccurate or if the protocol has changed my gut biome to produce these effects. I’m not sure what to expect, but it seems like taking a second test is a logical next step.

1 hour ago, GeoJeep said:

I took a stool test a few months ago and was diagnosed with gut dysbiosis, which is why I was on that treatment protocol. I don’t remember the exact results, but I had like 4 or 5 strains of opportunistic bacteria that shouldn’t be present.

The thing is, I didn’t have these GI issues before, so I’m wondering if maybe the previous test was inaccurate or if the protocol has changed my gut biome to produce these effects. I’m not sure what to expect, but it seems like taking a second test is a logical next step.

In that case sounds like seeing what the doctors have to say is a good idea.

40 yo Male. Started Paxil about 15 years ago. 10 mg (pill weight .125 - .129 g). 5 yrs wanted less side effects, doctor took me off Paxil over couple week period and put me on Wellbutrin. Not good. Went back on Paxil. Relieved my symptoms, but didn't work as well and more side effects. Severe reaction between Paxil and Zomig Summer of 2012. Head was affected during warmer days (cloudiness, confusion, pressure). Began 10% withdrawal 10/24/12.

Withdrawel helped many symptoms, but also added side effects: nausea, dizziness, tiredness. Hyper-anxiety started January 2014.

Went through a 2 year period of de-realization (2016-2018).  Rarely any windows.  
Current dose: 0.00 as of 4/10/21.  Made a lot of progress in my withdrawal symptoms the last 2 years of my taper.  I think doing a liquid taper helped stabilize things on the lower doses.  A lot of my symptoms have reduced significantly.  Hoping for even more improvement now that I am off.
My thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8909-rusty1-paxil-withdrawal-help-and-advice-welcome/#entry150222

Not doing good at all. I’ve suddenly developed erectile dysfunction, which scares the hell out of me. My mind feels completely burned out. I’m so tired of this. Why is it that I just keep getting worse? It’d be one thing if I was stable and not seeing any improvements, but I can’t imagine how it’s even possible that I can make any sort of meaningful recovery like this. I just want this agony to end.

8/8/21

I got the results from my GI test this morning. Apparently the dysbiosis has gotten worse, which definitely explains the GI distress and may explain the worsening of my withdrawal/adverse reaction symptoms. The most worrisome bit of information is that I have a severe C. Diff infection, which can potentially be fatal if not treated promptly. Right now, it looks like I’m going to have to get an FMT.

• 3 weeks later...

8/23/21

Not doing great. No windows. No waves. Just the same symptoms that drag on and on and gradually transition to other symptoms. GI issues are no longer incapacitating, but still very uncomfortable. I’m also very worried that I’m developing PSSD. As of now, I have not lost a profound amount of sensation, but I have little to no libido, ED, and very low semen volume. I hope to God that this is just stress induced, but I’m in mortal terror that it’s PSSD. I really don’t care about the few recovery stories out there for PSSD; they seem very much to be the exception as opposed to the rule.

I am getting an fMRI in a month, and I’ve been told that I need to be free of all stimulants for at least 3 weeks prior, so I am quitting smoking cold turkey as of tonight. I’m expecting a very unpleasant week or two, but it’s undoubtedly for the best that I quit. As nicotine is a vasoconstrictor and uses free dopamine, I’m cautiously optimistic that quitting may improve my ED and anhedonia, but I’m not getting my hopes up. If nothing else, I’ll probably be a bit healthier, and I’ll be depleting less of my already low savings…

This isn’t going away. These pills sterilized me. They ruined my brain. They took my humanity from me. There is no light at the end of the tunnel. There is nothing to hold on to. Why do I continue to exist?

• 4 weeks later...

9/23/21

Still waiting for one of these magical “windows” people here talk about. I haven’t had even the slightest bit of relief in almost 9 months. I honestly believe that those who recover from adverse reactions are the exception.

These drugs cause permanent damage. This is the only place on the entire internet where people seem to believe otherwise, and I don’t understand why, given all the evidence to the contrary, even if it is only anecdotal.

I can’t think straight. I can’t function. I can’t feel anything. I just want to be a human being again.

Hi Geo,

Im going through the same thing as you atm (same symptoms and no windows). The only thing that i can say is that just because you havent seen improvements just yet doesnt necessarily mean that you never will. I know of a number of people that saw improvements years later (even as much as 15). In other words its rather difficult to say at 9 months out that its permanent just yet. Hold on!

@Hms123

I appreciate your reply, but there are just too few stories of recovery from adverse reactions such as mine compared to stories where symptoms persisted for years or even decades. I was only on the pills for 2 weeks, man. I can only conclude that some kind of epigenetic alteration had to have occurred.

Furthermore, when my symptoms hit, I could just tell that something irreversible happened to my brain. I can’t explain it, but I felt like something in my brain just snapped out of place that day when I was out hiking with my buddy, and I haven’t felt the same since.

@GéoJeep I fully understand your posts I am the same situation with sexual dysfunction.  Premature ejaculation slightly smaller sex and orgasm without pleasure.  It's terrifying to think that it might never come back.  Yet I have seen testimonies from people who have recovered even here in France.  The morale can be a little bit even if it is the drugs that have caused it.  Do you have a weak erection in the morning?  Me is my case.  On your signature you wrote remission and relapse?  Have you been in remission sexually?

Hello everyone, I was on seroplex 10mg in October 2019 for over a year and then on brintellix from March to September for maybe 8 months. I made several attempts to stop abruptly then I resumed the treatment of brintellix recently for a few weeks because it was too difficult to stop.
Symptom when stopped: premature ejaculation, ejaculation with less orgasm. Severe insomnia, transient headaches, sensitivity to noise and light.
Last intake of brintellix 5mg: Saturday, September 11, 2021

3 minutes ago, Parisien said:

@GéoJeep I fully understand your posts I am the same situation with sexual dysfunction.  Premature ejaculation slightly smaller sex and orgasm without pleasure.  It's terrifying to think that it might never come back.  Yet I have seen testimonies from people who have recovered even here in France.  The morale can be a little bit even if it is the drugs that have caused it.  Do you have a weak erection in the morning?  Me is my case.  On your signature you wrote remission and relapse?  Have you been in remission sexually?

I don’t think I have PSSD. I had difficulty achieving orgasm when I was on Prozac, but my functioning returned to normal once I stopped taking it.

I developed new sexual symptoms a few months ago, and I was worried that it was PSSD at the time, but now it doesn’t seem that that is the case. My prostate is enlarged and inflamed, and my doctor suspects it is infected. I have a bit of trouble with erections, but I mainly experience penile/pelvic pain and weak/frequent urination. It hasn’t gotten better, but the symptoms tend to fluctuate. Some days I barely notice it, and some days I’m in constant pain and I have very weak, painful erections.

@GéoJeep So much the better if you don't have pssd it's a good thing, regarding premature ejaculation you had it after your weaning?  Like you, I had a delayed ejaculation during the treatment.  What bothers me is mainly premature ejaculation because I manage to have an erection, even less than before but it is sufficient.  And the morning erection also is not serious end not the most important for me.  Do you think that premature ejaculation can return to normal over time?

Hello everyone, I was on seroplex 10mg in October 2019 for over a year and then on brintellix from March to September for maybe 8 months. I made several attempts to stop abruptly then I resumed the treatment of brintellix recently for a few weeks because it was too difficult to stop.
Symptom when stopped: premature ejaculation, ejaculation with less orgasm. Severe insomnia, transient headaches, sensitivity to noise and light.

@Parisien I didn’t have it at all until a few months ago. It went away for me, but I more than likely have acute bacterial prostatitis, which is not comparable to PSSD in terms of prognosis, as their pathologies are completely different.

There are PSSD recovery stories out there, so, yes, it is possible that this symptom will go away in time for you. However, to be completely straightforward, I don’t buy into the naively positive outlook that many folks here have regarding PSSD, protracted withdrawal, or other iatrogenic syndromes. I’ve consumed all the literature I can find on the subject, and it seems that these conditions last indefinitely, and may be permanent in some. Recovery to any degree is technically possible, but it is unpredictable. Some will get better; some will not.

@ GéoJeepTantGéoJeepTaGéoGGGéoJeepTantGéoJe

Okay thank you so premature ejaculation only happened a few months after your weaning?  And today you have nothing left?  Me under 10mg seroplex threw too much excitement and I had a delayed ejaculation see an impossibility to finish.  Since I quit it's just the opposite I can't stay in bed for 1 minute

@ParisienYes, I had premature ejaculation for a few days when the prostatitis first flared up.

I never weaned off of Prozac at all. I was only on it for two weeks. I had a severe adverse reaction to it, and I stopped it cold turkey. I had mild sexual symptoms during the two weeks that I was on it, but they stopped as soon as I stopped taking the drug.

I had no sexual symptoms for about 7 months, until I suddenly developed my current suite of symptoms.

The prostatin to burst for the 1st time ie?  It's weird that you did this months later I hope it will get better with time and with your analyzes

59 minutes ago, Parisien said:

The prostatin to burst for the 1st time ie?  It's weird that you did this months later I hope it will get better with time and with your analyzes

Well, my current sexual symptoms showed up after having sex with a new partner, so it’s possible that I contracted something from her. I also have a history of UTIs, and severe stress can weaken the immune system enough to allow a bacterial infection to spread to the prostate.

I’m honestly not very worried about my the sexual symptoms. They’re bothersome, but tolerable, and prostatitis is treatable, so, if my doctor is correct in his diagnosis, a course of antibiotics should clear it up. I’m far more concerned about the cognitive, emotional, and neurological issues I’m faced with. I’m a complete vegetable.

GeoJeep I know how you feel, but when you talk about cognitive problems and emotional neurological issues, I can tell you that you have quite a gooooood chance that it will go away. I am dealing with PSSD since 2 Years, sometimes it gets a bit better for hours (better erections, better feelings, but not a lot libido), you feel more and start to hope it will resolve, then a wave comes and goes back to no good.

I had quite hard cognitive issues and emotional, it gets better! Emotional I can sometimes laugh again, feel sad, but the PSSD is the one making my life hard. I want a relationship again, but thats quite hard if you can't get good erections or you sometimes get one and the other day nothing.

I am also a lot of times sad, feel hopeless, but you shouldn't give up. You also talked about the Syndroms, a lot of people heal from them. I lost a lot of symptoms till now... so for me it's impossible that a lot of if not even any symptom can heal.

Hope this gives you a bit more optimistic view and hope. Have a good week!

Best,

Ben

2018 - october: 10 days Fluoxetin 20mg

2018 - october: CT after bad reactions

2019 - june: 3,5 weeks Fluoxetin 20mg

2019 - june: 5 days Fluoxetin 10mg

2019 - july: CT after massive problems

• 3 months later...

OP did you ever take a genesight test? Might be a good idea to see where fluoxetine lands on that list and what doesn't

Klonopin Mar 2013 - Feb 2021 - used .000 gram scale to cut pills did very slowly from 2017-2021, had no issues stopping after final dose that was sub .5mg diazepam equivalent (If anyone wants advice for tapering Klonopin with a gram scale, feel free to ask!)

tapered off zyprexa twice over 2 weeks in my 20's, had little issue with that after about 3-4 years of use both times.

Prozac 40MG for 5 years - 2016 - 2021 (Total of 13 years of consecutive use)

(Most recent after last break, been on cumulatively in my life 14 years all times combined, 3 separate on/off occasions, all successful except most recent 3/4)

Recent Issue:  Tapered gradually from 40MG down to 0MG from May 7th - Aug 18th

Felt fine through Oct 5th, slowly started getting depression, panic, and anxiety (Was original thing I was treated for)

Decided to go back on SSRI Nov 1st, reacted very bad to 20mg reinstatement, day 1 was fine, day 2 had ADR. Doctor said to drop dosage.

Took 5mg for 2 weeks, 10mg for 2 weeks, still felt physically sick, could not take 20mg for more than 3 days, looking for advice going forward (ADR)

Not happy about it, but on 1.5mg 3x ativan and temazepam 15mg for sleep

(Was sleeping 2-3 hrs nightly prior to temazepam, was first thing that broke 2-3 hr then wide awake sleep cycle)

Main symptoms: headaches from certain foods and meds, sleep is broken, anxiety and agitation is extremely high, cortisol spike sensitive, bad in morning better at night, panic attacks, concentration is awful, focus is awful, anhedonia is awful, sensitive to light and noise, especially noise, extreme depression, intense bouts of fear, every looks and feels 'scary' at times, stress tolerance extremely low, have bouts of extreme anxiety, and bouts akathesia, and bouts extreme anticipatory anxiety over basic events/tasks.

No Prozac for 218 days.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

@Avicii @Ben190 @Parisien

Your discussion has been moved to Parisien's Introduction topic:  parisien

Explanation:  The owner of the Introductions topic (in this case GeoJeep) is encouraged to post questions there, get answers and support from staff and other members, and look back on the Intro topic as a record of their progress. It is like an ongoing, first-person case history.  When a discussion ensues which is between other members (ie not the Introduction topic's owner) it can obscure the owner's need for information and support.

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:    (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq      on 13th November 2021

Woohoo!!!  Finally off Pristiq    Post 0 updates start here

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

My full tapering program     My Intro (goes to my tapering graph)    My website

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions.  Please DO NOT TAG me - thank you.

• 1 month later...

@GeoJeep

How are you feeling now?

June-July -21 Zyprexa 2.5-7.5 mg 

July -21 Mianserin 20 mg four days

July-Aug -21 Valium 30 mg a day, tapred, return of symptoms 

Aug-Oct -21 Oxazepam Tapred from 10 mg x 3 to zero

Dec-Jan -21/22 On and off mirtazapine 15 mg. Kindling reaction?

March 8.-19. - Zopiclone 7.5 mg to combat insomnia 

March 20 - 5 mg valium because of akathisia and panic 

April 3. - 5 mg x 2