BrainCandy: New Member Hello

BrainCandy

Hello

I wish to introduce myself, I am BrainCandy in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. 

If possible I would love to get off the medication I am on. I am grateful to have stumbled on to this site. It is so established and there is so much great information it a little overwhelming. 

My psychiatrist for the last 15 years has just retired and in the process of finding new care. Although I loved the man I am now concerned that the medical care I received wasn't the best. At this juncture I am curious if I can manage without being on my medication. I have been referred to a hospital here in the city and am awaiting their contact.

I need to study the site more, however I have a basic question on how does one reduce amounts by 10% when the capsule or pill dose are usually in bigger amounts?

I hope the good people on this site can help me reach my goal of being med free.

Peace.

Edited by Shep
removed member's real name

Current 2018-2021

150mg Venlafaxine, 90mg Duloxetine, 50mg Lamotrigine,  10mg Vortioxetine

Discontinued November 2019. Lasted until January 2020. Severe anxiety, intense crying jags and physical discomfort.

Past Medication staring aprox 1990: unsure of the dates or amounts ... so many different ones and fluctuating amounts 

Wellbutrin, Venlafaxine as much as 300mg, Nortriptyline to augment ECT treatments, Quetiapine, Rispiredone, Lithium

• Shep changed the title to BrainCandy: New Member Hello
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi, BrainCandy.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants. 

Here is some information to get you started:

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain

Healing from antidepressants. Patterns of recovery video (4 minutes)

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Current 2018-2021

150mg Venlafaxine, 90mg Duloxetine, 50mg Lamotrigine,  10mg Vortioxetine

Thanks for adding your signature. I placed your drugs in a drug interaction checker and you are dealing with some serious possible drug interactions, which I'll copy and paste below. Please go to the Drugs.com website and register (it's free) so you can use their website (it's now requiring registration if you have more than 2 drugs to check). It's important to learn how to check your drugs for interactions, as doctors are very reckless in their prescribing. 

Here is the report:

Drugs Interaction Report - venlafaxine, duloxetine, and lamotrigine

Interactions between your drugs

Major

venlafaxine  DULoxetine

Applies to: venlafaxine, duloxetine

Using venlafaxine together with DULoxetine can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should seek immediate medical attention if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

Moderate

venlafaxine  lamoTRIgine

Applies to: venlafaxine, lamotrigine

Treatment with venlafaxine may occasionally cause blood sodium levels to get too low, a condition known as hyponatremia, and using it with lamoTRIgine can increase that risk. In addition, venlafaxine can cause seizures in susceptible patients, which may reduce the effectiveness of medications that are used to control seizures such as lamoTRIgine. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may be able to prescribe alternatives that do not interact, or you may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring to safely use both medications. You should seek medical attention if you experience nausea, vomiting, headache, lethargy, irritability, difficulty concentrating, memory impairment, confusion, muscle spasm, weakness or unsteadiness, as these may be symptoms of hyponatremia. More severe cases may lead to hallucination, fainting, seizure, coma, and even death. Also let your doctor know if you develop seizures or experience an increase in seizures during treatment with venlafaxine. Additionally, because these medications may cause dizziness, drowsiness, and impairment in judgment, reaction speed and motor coordination, you should avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how they affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

Moderate

lamoTRIgine  DULoxetine

Applies to: lamotrigine, duloxetine

Treatment with DULoxetine may occasionally cause blood sodium levels to get too low, a condition known as hyponatremia, and using it with lamoTRIgine can increase that risk. In addition, DULoxetine can cause seizures in susceptible patients, which may reduce the effectiveness of medications that are used to control seizures such as lamoTRIgine. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may be able to prescribe alternatives that do not interact, or you may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring to safely use both medications. You should seek medical attention if you experience nausea, vomiting, headache, lethargy, irritability, difficulty concentrating, memory impairment, confusion, muscle spasm, weakness or unsteadiness, as these may be symptoms of hyponatremia. More severe cases may lead to hallucination, fainting, seizure, coma, and even death. Also let your doctor know if you develop seizures or experience an increase in seizures during treatment with DULoxetine. Additionally, because these medications may cause dizziness, drowsiness, and impairment in judgment, reaction speed and motor coordination, you should avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how they affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

• Moderator Emeritus

Please list the time(s) of day you are taking each of your drugs. With the drug interactions listed in my post above, it's important not to take interacting drugs too close together, so before you taper, you may want to space out the drugs first. We can help you sort this out. 

Please let us know if you're having any symptoms. How is your sleep? 

• Mentor

Welcome BrainCandy!  I am sorry you need to be here but I am so happy you are with us. You have come to the right place to get help support and encouragement. I do not know what I would have done without the site when I found it over 4 years ago.  The combined knowledge and wisdom of of the moderators is amazing. Please make sure you go slow, very slow if needed and that you follow their suggestions. And you will do great.

1. .025 Xanax 3 x daily  Start date 10-13-2013 through 8-13-2014.  Started tapering 6-2014 to 8-2014.  Some small discomfort. 25 mg Zoloft - Start date 5-1-2014.  50mg. 6-2014.  through 7-14-2014 .  Started tapering  7-14-2014, stopped tapering 10-2014.  I did 1/4 of the dose a month.  small discomfort.  These next 3 were prescribed when I made some seriously bad choices with my thyroid medication.  Was in ER twice for possible heart attack.  INTENSE anxiety, panic, fear.   Lost 30 pounds in 2 weeks.  Thyroid levels bounced to extremes for 8 months. Dr. prescribed Zoloft 50mg  9-2105.  After 2 doses had a bad reaction passed out in my bedroom. Also prescribed Xanax .025  at the same time. 3 times daily, 4 if needed.  Was only on it about 2 weeks.  Was not working.  Trip ER they gave me an Ativan IV and it worked and lasted.  switched to Ativan. 9-24-2016. 1.5 mg Ativan - .5 mg  three x daily -start date 9/24/16.  Attempted taper start 12-16-2016. Was shaving Pills and alternating tapering AM, PM and midday dose weekly.  Buspar .5mg  -2.5mg. am and 2. 5mg. pm start date 9-26-2016 .  Lexapro .10mg  start date  - 10-26-2016. Found SA and began 10/14/2017 tapering .001 by weight of pill  every 4 days Held longer if there were was WD.    Was very sensitive to Ativan. 3-15-2018 Off midday dose - 7-16-2018 Off PM dose - OFF ATIVAN! 11-17-2018 10 mg. Lexapro. PM - 5 mg start date 10/11/2016 increased to 10 mg 2/2/17. 1-1-2019 Began tapering Lexapro.  .001 gm every 4 days.  Held longer if there was WD.  Last doses some I held a month.  OFF LEXAPRO! 2-21 2021 5 mg. Buspar  divided into two, 2.5 mg doses AM and PM- Start date 9/26/2016 Cold turkey on Dr. direction, AM and Pm  doses.  Reinstated  9-22-16. Began Buspar taper 1-29-23, .001 mg by weight of pills.  N.P. Desiccated Thyroid.  1-2023 Labs okay but not where I feel best. 60 mg. daily now but adding 15 mg. more  twice weekly for a few months then check.  Bioidentical hormones. Bi-est/Prog cream, 1/4 tsp.  1 time daily

My intro: Moonpie:. Need help and supporting tapering off of Ativan

My benzo thread: Moonpie: Need help Ativan weight tapering