HealingFromPaxil: Persistent vestibular symptoms after benzos and AD withdrawal

HealingFromPaxil

Hi everyone,

I am learning a lot from this site. Thank you. I quit Paxil CT almost 3 yrs ago (after 10 yrs on) and quit benzos 10 months ago (also after 10 yrs on then, following a 19 months taper). I am mostly functional, but still suffering several issues, the most persistent ones: poor balance, tinnitus, poor vision and floaters. Seems like these are all related to the vestibular region (brain and inner ears). I know it may take a long time to heal and that 100% healing is difficult, but would love to know if someone had these same persistent symptoms and if they eventually got better. I am working mostly on-line due to the pandemics, but may soon face my job in a ship at sea. I am afraid that I may suffer terrible sea sickness due to my current state.  Still feel privileged for being alive and mostly functional after  so many years using these pills from hell, as prescribed by my doctors...

Wish a fast healing for all!

Daily Fluoxetine and sparse benzo use from 2000-2001 - stop CT

Sparse benzo use 2005-2006

Started daily Paroxetine (10 mg) and Xanax (1 mg) in 2010

Quit Paroxetine CT in October 2018 while still on Xanax

Started to taper benzos after switching from Xanax to Valium in March 2019

Finished Valium taper in October 2020 (19 months taper in total)

Currently free from all psych drugs

Supplements: Magnesium glycinate (50-100 mg once or twice daily), CBD:TCH (1:1; 2-5 mg 3-4 times a day), L-Theanine (100 mg, only when feeling really anxious), Probiotics (Culturelle, daily), Methylfolate + Methyl B12 (Jarrow's)

Hi,

Welcome to this support site. Personally I cannot answer your questions from experience. Most symptoms heal over time. So I hope that this will be the case for you as well. 

Other members can react to your questions.

1993    Anafranil (Clomipramine) for a few months. Later in 1993 Paxil for a few months 1993- 2006      No medication

2006   Effexor, Cymbalta, some Benzo’s. All for short periods. Later in 2006 Lexapro (escitalopram) 10 mg and shortly after Wellbutrin XR 150mg, against side effects Lexapro 

Since 2006 until end of 2015: Several times on and off Lexapro and Wellbutrin and several slight dosage changes. Mostly taken dosages: 5mg Lexapro and 150mg Wellbutrin

2016  Dosage change Lexapro from 5mg to 2,5 mg. Wellbutrin stayed om 150mg

November 2016 – April 2017 Down from 2,5mg to 0,6mg Lexapro (in steps) without much problems. Wellbutrin down from 150mg to 66mg. Also without much problems.

April 2017 – March 2019       Lexapro 0,6 mg        April 2017 - August 2018       Wellbutrin in small steps down from 66mg in to 37,5 mg . Quite heavy WD after each step.

March 2019 – May 2019 Lexapro down from 0,6 to 0,3mg then Prozac to 0,6 mg switch because severe discontinuation effects (may also have been from Wellbutrin..)    

Wellbutrin down from 37,5mg to 35,3mg 

October 2019        Seroquel 12,5 mg for 4 weeks because of extreme sleeping problems, then weaning off in 2 weeks       Prozac up dosage to 1,2 mg

March 2020     Wellbutrin in 2 steps down from 35,3mg to 33,3mg   Extreme withdrawal effects during 8 months. Stopped tapering Wellbutrin  until total off Prozac. 

February 2020 – November 2020   Prozac down in steps from 1,2mg to 0,57mg. 

Jan 2021  Prozac down to:  0,55> 0,53>0,51mg,   Feb 0,47mg ,  Mar 0,42mg,   Apr 0,37, longer hold because of WD symptoms July 0,36 and hold again, Sept 19 0,35, Sept 26 0,34mg, Oct 3 0,33mg  Long hold of 172 days until March 2022

January 20, 2022:  Wellbutrin from 33,3 to 32,3mg

March 22, 2022 Prozac down from 0,33mg to: 0,30mg, Apr 0,29, May 0,28, 0,27, June 0,26, 0,25, July 0,24, 0,23, 0,22, 0,21, Aug 0,20, 0,19 Sep 0,18, Oct 0,17. 0,16, 0,15, Nov 0,14  Jan 2023 0,13, 0,12, 0,11  Feb 0,10, 0,09 Mar 0,08 ,  June 0,07 , July 0,06,  0,05, Aug 0,04, 0,03, Sept 0,026, 0,024 Nov 0,022, 0,019, 0,016, 0,013 Dec 0,012, 0,011, 0,010, 0,009   Jan 2024 0,008, 0,007,  0,006,  0,005, 0,004, 0,003, 0,002, 0,001, Feb  0,0007.  0,0005,   0,0003, 0,0001,  

Feb 23, 2024:  0,00000

Wellbutrin resume tapering: Apr 2024 31,6mg, 30,8, 30

Supplements: Fish Oil (3000mg), Magnesium 100 mg, 2 drops of Lavender Oil, only when feeling extreme anxiety. 50mg of L-Theanine only when severe discontinuation effects caused by Wellbutrin

Please note this is NOT a medical advice. Discuss all your medical issues with a doctor who understands psychical drugs and really knows how to withdraw from them. I wish that you will find one.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi there! I experienced vestibular issues from concussions and it’s very true that it can affect vision and balance as well as cause headaches. Congrats to you for completing a relatively slow taper off Valium. 

I found value in seeing a physical therapist who specializes in vestibular-ocular rehab. You may have to do some sleuthing to find this. Not all PTs have this training but chances are if there is a rehab center or academic medical center near you, you can find one. Other options are functional neurologists (chiropractors who train in non-drug concussion rehab) or neuro-optometrists and vision therapists who have special tools and exercises that can help. 

As an example, one of the simple exercises I benefitted from was closing your eyes and standing on one foot for 1 minute, switching, and then doing the same thing standing on a cushion. It retrains your brain and vestibular system to accept information and re-calibrate. 

Glad you are taking a proactive approach to addressing your full recovery. I also see your supplement list and think you may benefit from a good omega-3 supplement as well as eating more fatty fish and walnuts/chia seeds which are omega-3 rich foods. 

Apr 2018: Began 10 mg Amitriptyline (for headaches & insomnia from concussion).

Jul - Aug 2018: Fast taper to 5 mg and then 2.5 mg (too fast, hellish withdrawal at 2.5 mg). Sept 2018: Reinstated 10 mg (many symptoms improved). Oct 2018 - Apr 2019: Updosed & stabilized on 11 mg (2 waves at 3 and 5 months post-withdrawal). Apr 2019 - Apr 2020: Tapered 0.5-0.25 mg per month using compounded pills: 11 mg —> 6 mg. (2 waves at 12 and 16 months post-withdrawal.) Apr 2020 - present: Switched to a liquid taper at rate of 0.1 mg per month. Currently: 1.1 mg. No more waves. 

Supplements: Omega-3 fish oil, Vit B12, coenzyme Q10, Hawthorn extract (for tachycardia) Tools for insomnia/waves (as needed): Epsom salt foot soaks, 0.5 mg Melatonin, quality time, waves WILL PASS. Lifestyle: Eat real foods, mostly plants; sunlight, walking, yoga; symptom tracking on adapted Glenmullen chart.

23 hours ago, composter said:

Hi there! I experienced vestibular issues from concussions and it’s very true that it can affect vision and balance as well as cause headaches. Congrats to you for completing a relatively slow taper off Valium. 

I found value in seeing a physical therapist who specializes in vestibular-ocular rehab. You may have to do some sleuthing to find this. Not all PTs have this training but chances are if there is a rehab center or academic medical center near you, you can find one. Other options are functional neurologists (chiropractors who train in non-drug concussion rehab) or neuro-optometrists and vision therapists who have special tools and exercises that can help. 

As an example, one of the simple exercises I benefitted from was closing your eyes and standing on one foot for 1 minute, switching, and then doing the same thing standing on a cushion. It retrains your brain and vestibular system to accept information and re-calibrate. 

Glad you are taking a proactive approach to addressing your full recovery. I also see your supplement list and think you may benefit from a good omega-3 supplement as well as eating more fatty fish and walnuts/chia seeds which are omega-3 rich foods. 

Thank you very much for your reply, support and directions. After your advice, I just did a quick search about vestibular-ocular rehab and I will definitely give it a try.

Regarding my supplements, I am eating wild caught fish nearly everyday and plenty of walnuts/chia, but will add the Omega 3 as suggested.  I am mostly following the GAPS diet, thus avoiding carbs, processed sugar and eating plenty of vegetables, eggs, avocados and meat. I am still unsure about eating meat, as I was mostly vegetarian before withdrawal, but I feel like benefiting from this animal protein fat-rich diet (although sometimes I still feel bloating and inflammation). Any thoughts are welcome.

I am 47M and had a very active life before withdrawal, practicing many sports that demand a lot of balance (skateboarding, surfing), and worked at sea as a SCUBA diver. I will accept If I have to give up my past life and focus on my health, but I still hope that one day I will be able to go back to my normal life, even if with limitations. Today my daily exercise routine includes walking or running 1-3 km, meditating and lifting some weights. In addition, I go free dive at sea for 1-2 hours once per week, but always pay the price in the following day.  

Sorry for any misspelling. English is not my native language, and again, thank you.

Supplements: Magnesium glycinate (50-100 mg once or twice daily), CBD:TCH (1:1; 2-5 mg 3-4 times a day), L-Theanine (100 mg, only when feeling really anxious), Probiotics (Culturelle, daily), Methylfolate + Methyl B12 (Jarrow's)

I wouldnt lose hope over not being able to heal 100%. Most people who post here are still going through their acute phase, but there is plenty of evidence from people that full or near recovering is something everyone should look forward to. It just never happens as quickly as we like.

40 yo Male. Started Paxil about 15 years ago. 10 mg (pill weight .125 - .129 g). 5 yrs wanted less side effects, doctor took me off Paxil over couple week period and put me on Wellbutrin. Not good. Went back on Paxil. Relieved my symptoms, but didn't work as well and more side effects. Severe reaction between Paxil and Zomig Summer of 2012. Head was affected during warmer days (cloudiness, confusion, pressure). Began 10% withdrawal 10/24/12.

Withdrawel helped many symptoms, but also added side effects: nausea, dizziness, tiredness. Hyper-anxiety started January 2014.

Went through a 2 year period of de-realization (2016-2018).  Rarely any windows.  
Current dose: 0.00 as of 4/10/21.  Made a lot of progress in my withdrawal symptoms the last 2 years of my taper.  I think doing a liquid taper helped stabilize things on the lower doses.  A lot of my symptoms have reduced significantly.  Hoping for even more improvement now that I am off.
My thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8909-rusty1-paxil-withdrawal-help-and-advice-welcome/#entry150222

On 8/5/2021 at 6:33 PM, Rusty1 said:

I wouldnt lose hope over not being able to heal 100%. Most people who post here are still going through their acute phase, but there is plenty of evidence from people that full or near recovering is something everyone should look forward to. It just never happens as quickly as we like.

Thanks a lot for your positivity and wisdom words. I am trying to learn and apply everything I can to heal. For now, some acceptance and patience. 

• 3 months later...

Has anyone recovered from muscle stiffness/rigidity?

Hi

I am a little over 3 yrs off paroxetine and 1 yr off benzos. I was 10 yrs on both drugs. My only symptoms at this point are tinnitus, some brain fog and SEVERE muscle stiffness/rigidity. I feel like I am with dystonia. Exercising help a bit, but sometimes backfires. 

Has anyone recovered from this? Everywhere I read, it is stated that dystonia is a permanent condition. 

I am sorry if this is not the right place to post it.

Thank you

Edited by ChessieCat
added Intro topic title before merging with intro topic

• ChessieCat changed the title to HealingFromPaxil: Persistent vestibular symptoms after benzos and AD withdrawal
  • Moderator Emeritus

I have done a search for the word "dystonia" in the Success Stories forum of SA.

Please note that there are 2 pages of results.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/search/?&q=dystonia&type=forums_topic&page=1&quick=1&nodes=28&search_and_or=and&sortby=relevancy

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

On 11/29/2021 at 7:53 PM, ChessieCat said:

I have done a search for the word "dystonia" in the Success Stories forum of SA.

Please note that there are 2 pages of results.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/search/?&q=dystonia&type=forums_topic&page=1&quick=1&nodes=28&search_and_or=and&sortby=relevancy

Thank you! So the answer is yes and that gives me a lot of hope. All best

• 4 months later...
On 4/8/2022 at 2:22 PM, rebeccaannxo said:

@HealingFromPaxil

Did your poor balance and poor vision issues clear up? 

Yes! My balance is back and now I am able to go to stormy seas with no problems. My vision is not fully recovered, but better. How are you doing?

On 4/9/2022 at 3:08 PM, rebeccaannxo said:

That’s good to hear! How long did it take for things to start clearing up?

Unfortunately I’m not much better, housebound daily still 

Sorry for your suffering friend. I was 15 months off benzos and 40 months off paxil when my balance came back full force. I think benzo withdrawal was the most important driver of dizziness in my case. Once I got off of paxil, took me about a year to feel better, but than I started my benzo taper... 

1 hour ago, rebeccaannxo said:

sorry to hear you suffered for so long. I only had 3 pills of Lexapro but had a severe adverse reaction, no other meds before or after, I’m really hoping I’ll heal and be back to normal before too long 🤞

You will be healed much sooner! These pills are devil. Keep us posted on your progress. Wish you the very best.

• 2 weeks later...

Just relapsed after 18 months clean

Could not handle my physical limitations while working. I work SCUBA diving...  Had a 3 days trip to the sea and had severe muscle spasms/cramps in my legs in the second day, sou took 5 mg of Valium. Felt better immediately. Took another 5 mg in the next 2 days and now off, but feeling depressed and irritable, with only a slight increase in inner vibration. Should I taper?

Also, I am just asking myself if it is worth proceeding like this or just reinstate a low benzo dose and try to taper once I dont need my body so much to have an income. 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic

• Moderator Emeritus

@HealingFromPaxil

Only you can make the decision about whether you continue taking the valium.

6 hours ago, HealingFromPaxil said:

Took another 5 mg in the next 2 days and now off, but feeling depressed and irritable, with only a slight increase in inner vibration.

This may be the effect of the drug wearing off.  It sounds similar to what other members describe when they have interdose withdrawal.  I don't think you need to taper it after only 3 days use, but if you decide to stop it then I don't think it would be a good idea to take any more.

If you continue taking the valium, even intermittently (for example every second day) over 2 or 3 weeks, then you will most likely  become dependent on it and then it will need to be tapered.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

8 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

@HealingFromPaxil

Only you can make the decision about whether you continue taking the valium.

This may be the effect of the drug wearing off.  It sounds similar to what other members describe when they have interdose withdrawal.  I don't think you need to taper it after only 3 days use, but if you decide to stop it then I don't think it would be a good idea to take any more.

If you continue taking the valium, even intermittently (for example every second day) over 2 or 3 weeks, then you will most likely  become dependent on it and then it will need to be tapered.

Thank you. Did not take any and feeling a little better already.

Hi everyone 

I did a very extenuating physical activity in my job and crashed. Decided to take another benzo (1.25 mg Diazepam) and had a paradoxical reaction. I am very agitated and restlessly. Any advice? Ty

• 1 year later...
On 5/1/2022 at 10:55 AM, HealingFromPaxil said:

Hi everyone 

I did a very extenuating physical activity in my job and crashed. Decided to take another benzo (1.25 mg Diazepam) and had a paradoxical reaction. I am very agitated and restlessly. Any advice? Ty

How are you doing, I read your thread vecause of my own balance issues. I hope you are well

2006-2007 Lexapro (not sure of dose) in 2006

2007 Stopped abruptly. Developed serious wd symptom.Went back after two weeks and  tapered successfully over 3 months

November 2013  started 10 mg of Celexa for hormonal symptoms

early 2014 cutdown Celexa to 5 mg.Attempted to get off it November 2014 and had  

Anxiety increased  every time I used  an OTC or had stress.

April-May Cortisol spike problems 

July 2016 Started taking liquid Celexa 7.5 mg

June 2021 I finished my taper en

Severe anxiety and insomnia

June 2022 symptoms omproved

July 2023 gut issues and sleep issues contnue