lookingrelief: Protracted withdrawls ater quiting 25mg Zoloft Mid Sept. 2020

lookingrelief

• Administrator

I don't know what your symptoms are. When people go on and off psychiatric drugs or long-term recreational drugs, their nervous systems can become sensitized to many things -- such as antibiotics, alcohol, trials of other drugs -- that can cause a resurgence of the symptoms you described.

It's possible your system was slightly sensitized when you went off Zoloft but you felt no distinct symptoms from that for months. When you quit your long-time cannabis habit, that rocked the boat.

In a state of uproar from drug-induced sensitization, reinstatement of the original pharmaceutical is not necessarily the best fix. If I were in your situation, I would try a measured small amount of cannabis before experimenting with Zoloft or another SSRI, which may be too stimulating. In my opinion, it's a more benign drug than the much stronger SSRIs, and more likely to help you with sleep. Cannabis also has a very long half-life, so you probably wouldn't need much.

I am puzzled why, as a long-term cannabis user, you are adverse to trying the most obvious remedy and prefer a pharmaceutical?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

@Altostrata Thank you so much for your insight.  I dont know why I am adverse to taking a little cannabis either.  I think it could be fear of bringing on more / or prolonging these horrible symptoms.  Its weird, the last time I used it I just put it away and never thought about it again.  I  never had the cravings for it once I stopped.  But then a few days later I was feeling so bad I knew it was Zoloft withdrawls.  

What you said about me stopping cannabis possibly rocking the boat makes sense to me, but I do think these intense symptoms are PAW from the zoloft.  I have major Insomnia, loss of appetite, cortisol spikes, anxiety/panic attacks and tremors.  I have some romantic notion that if I reinstate the zoloft, the symptoms will deminish and I will get back my life that I had before.  Of course I grabble with that too, because of the things that I have read about it possibly not working and could make matters even worse.  This has been hard and I wish I had been more educated about this before I stopped taking the Zoloft. But I am here now and having to make changes to my life that I wasnt prepared for. I am just trying to cope and figure out how to get through each day. No one in my life understands what the hell happened to me and why I cant function.

I really appreciate all of you input.

1995 -2008 Zoloft 100-200 mg prescribed by Psychiatrist for depression

5 mg Klonipen prescribed for social anxiety

2008 Zoloft 100 mg Psychiatrist no longer took insurance, started getting Zoloft prescription from OB/GYN

2009 weened myself off of klonipen ( do not know how I did that)

2018 Zoloft 50 mg Weened myself. Getting prescription from new PCP

2020 Zoloft 25 mg weened myself

quit cold turkey mid sept 2020

quit cannibis late June 2021

Aug 2021 Hydroxyzine 25 mg  - for sleep

Withdrawl symptoms: Started Mid June 2021; insomnia, IBS, loss of appetite, cortisol spikes, major anxiety

Suppliments: Seriphos for cortisol spikes, Lactium, Theanine, tryptophan, GABA, Omega 3, Vit B, C

• Administrator

Yes, you have a romantic notion that taking a pill will solve your problems. We're reluctant to go down that route because it may make you feel worse. If we thought it was a great idea, we would have said so. But you're an adult and you can try a pharmaceutical again if you want to.

You might try reinstating 2.5mg sertraline liquid and see what that does. Instructions here Tips for tapering off sertraline (Zoloft)

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

@AltostrataI wanted to report that Yesterday I ate one of the THC gummies that I had gotten for sleep.  It was 25 mg of 3 % Delta 8 THC.  I ate it in the afternoon. It caused  my anxiety to go thru the roof and lasted well into the evening. I had read in other places that sometimes Cannabis causes anxiety. Although this was not the usual method that I used to partake in cannabis, the experience left me not wanting to use any type of THC anymore. I felt horrible. I was up most of the night.  

I have been using 25 mg of hydroxyzine the last week for sleep which works sometimes, sometimes not.

I recently did a saliva cortisol test where I tested 5 times through out the day and night and the levels were extremly high.  I have been using different amino acid suppliments to try and squash the corisol down. sometimes I have luck with that, sometimes not.  Any ideas on if this Cortisol problem readjusts on its own or is this something a dr can to address?

2008 Zoloft 100 mg Psychiatrist no longer took insurance, started getting Zoloft prescription from OB/GYN

Withdrawl symptoms: Started Mid June 2021; insomnia, IBS, loss of appetite, cortisol spikes, major anxiety

Suppliments: Seriphos for cortisol spikes, Lactium, Theanine, tryptophan, GABA, Omega 3, Vit B, C

• Administrator

Did you eat a whole gummy? What does the result indicate to you?

The saliva cortisol tests are not valid.

@Altostrata I had 1/2 of a 50 mg gummy (25mg) . I did not like the feeling of anxiety that I felt after eating the gummy. It lasted for hours in to the evening. I makes me want to stay away from the cannabis.  

• Administrator

How did you feel after this anxiety feeling wore off? How many hours did that take?

You ate the gummy on Tuesday, correct? How do you feel today? (Note: Half-life of THC is 3-4 days.)

@Altostrata I would say it took about 6 hrs to wear off. I did feel a little "stoned" for about 3 of those hours. The anxiety started right away and lasted until I was able to fall asleep with the use of the hydroxyzine. I had bad Cortisol spikes all day yesterday that I was not able to manage and somewhat  the same today but more managable mid day.  I also noticed I was having more night sweats Tuesday night and last night.  I do not know if a known indica strain (vs unknown strain of the gummy) of cannabis would have the same effect but I do not want to try to find out. 

My Dr. ended up perscribed me liquid sertraline.  I have it incase I think I want to try and reinstate.  This morning it crossed my mind. Insomnia, loss of appitite and the cortisol spikes are the hardest symptoms to deal with. I just had another person in my life pass away last night and I can't even cry.  I really hate what my life has become in this withdrawl process.  And not knowing when/if it will ever get better makes me think I should try to reinstate.  The kicker there is that it could make matters worse.   This indeed sucks

• Administrator

How has your sleep pattern changed in the last 3 days?

@Altostrata Yes I have been more alerted up until 11:30 - Midnight. Taking the Hydroxyine for sleep at around 9:30 pm I have still been waking up at 4:30 am which is usual should I get any sleep.   I do think the Gummy messed with that.  I am seriously considering to try and reinstate some sertraline.  I dont know how much more I can take of this.   Insomnia, no appitite, anxiety/cortisol/tremors.  I wonder if my major symptoms started end of June, does the timeline to reinstate less  that when I had my last dose last sept. 2020?  

Also If I am able to tolerate Hydroxyine, maybe I can handle a small dose of the sertraline.

I dont know, I just know this is very difficult.

• Administrator

Honestly, I have no idea what reinstatement of sertraline might do for you. We do not handle cannabis withdrawal syndrome here, or bad reactions to supplements.

However, you have been fixed on attempting sertraline reinstatement from the beginning. If you want to try it, I would get the prescription liquid and try 1mg (ONE milligram) to start, see what it does. If it helps, your symptoms are related to going off sertraline. 

You'd stabilize on a low dose of sertraline for some months, then taper off by minuscule amounts later.

• ChessieCat changed the title to lookingrelief: Protracted withdrawls ater quiting 25mg Zoloft Mid Sept. 2020