Jump to content

Floss: Set back


Floss

Recommended Posts

Hi I’m new here, and have had a very rough time unfortunately involving prescription drugs. I had my baby last year and was at a very happy time in my life already have two little ones , husband and renovating forever home , I have had anxiety in the past over health and miscarriage but always got over it and have never used meds so always felt great and happy with a few bumps along the way as I’m sure we all do.

 

After 8 days of being out of hospital with my baby I started to feel unwell achey , flu like and I went to doctors who gave me antibiotics for mastitis I took two that day and the next day I woke up my heel was completely numb I shot up out of bed and panicked as I’d had an epidural during birth and stupidly googled worse case and spiralled into panic ended up back on post natal treated for a womb infection on intravenous antibiotics which explained the fluey feelings my feet felt strange and I felt really weak when home again, my foot started burning and throbbing and hurt after walking on it for so long.

 

Went to doctors again and they said it was a side effect from the rip and will go. I couldn’t get my head around it and panicked, regretting it thinking it wouldn’t go or get worse. I burst in to tears when the health visitor came over and she suggested I go to the doctors and start antidepressants, even though I wasn’t depressed just had awful anxiety about it. After refusing she came again the following week and I still was in a panic so she booked me an appointment which I didn’t attend as I knew there was nothing they could do at this point I just needed to ride it out but unfortunately the doctor rang and said it was a sign of postnatal depression and wrote me a script of Celexa.

 

I had so much worry over my feet o was struggling to function and started thinking maybe they were right and my hormones were making it worse( I know this wasn’t the case and it’s just me as I always panic but calm down eventually) I stupidly started it as I wanted to feel well and they kept saying I would miss out on my baby etc etc so I kind of did it for everyone else really.

 

After 3 days I noticed I was having pins and needles in my feet and legs and arms getting hot flashes and my anxiety was through the roof even worse and while watching tv I had a panic attack and was sweating so I went to bed and stopped taking them. The symptoms carried on for the next two days but seem to calm down abit and my foot still throbbed so I got really upset and my mum took me to the doctors and now my symptoms were worse.

 

I asked her if the celexa could have caused the pins and needles and she said no and I would be feeling any side effects from the tablets two days later she said it was my anxiety. She prescribed me gabipenten and said it would help my foot and stop me worrying basically. I resisted taking it but my foot throbbed and ibuprofen wasn’t working I couldn’t stop worry and my mum said to try them to see if it helped so I did and after the first pill I got a lightning bolt sensations through my head I lasted a week on them and had the following side effects 

muscle spasms in thighs

crawling sensation

tingles through limbs 

muscle pain all over body 

 

when I stopped the side effects persisted again after a couple of days at this point I started thinking I must have a terrible disease or something! I went to the doctors about it and said I now had pain all around my body and he said I’m going to give you something to help it and prescribed me celexa I couldn’t understand why and he said it was to help the postpartum depression which was causing my symptoms.

 

I felt totally helpless at this point and stupidly took them again as didn’t know what else it could be, that’s when it all went so badly wrong after about five days I started feeling extremely paranoid, anxiety through the roof scared of even feeling water drops on my skin the air on me etc and my arms and hands started burning out of control to the point I had to run them under cold water. I spent the next day unable to get out of bed had panic attacks and didn’t want to live.

 

My husband took me to the doctor who contacted mental health team and prescribed me Lycra for the burning as it was like patches around my body I took it and the burning did subside some but I suddenly got muscle pain again and weakness in my one leg which the doctors said was sciatica I could bearly walk on my one leg and suddenly got back pain too so after one week my doctor said just stop taking it and the muscle pain and leg weakness went completely but the burning skin came back it was like patches all over it would last a few seconds and go somewhere else on my body.

 

The sad thing is by this point my feet were completely better and no longer throbbed but I had all these other issues it was just terrifying I didn’t know what was happening to me. I went back to the doctor and asked if it could be the medication and they said h they couldn’t see how no I’ve stopped it and it was most likely all anxiety. I was about to go on holiday which was all booked and desperately wanted to feel well for my children she suggested mirtazapeine and diazepam I thought I’ve got to try it as my anxiety is out of control even though I’ve never experienced anxiety like this before in my life! After I week I had to stop again side effects were 

ice cube/metal sensations on skin 

feelinging things on skin that aren’t there water drops my baby’s milk etc 

extreme anxiety 

electric feelings in limbs 

sore skin like sunburn 

prickling sensations on skin 

constant hunger

 

after stopping I stayed off over a week and thought it must be the medication me and my husband were at a total loss by now I was convinced I had ms. I didn’t feel too bad after a week still some of the sensations my mum suggested I take cbd oil from Holland and Barrera for my anxiety so I tried it a few drops throughout the day I started getting the prickling sensations on my skin that afternoon not sure if it was the cbd or the meds still I went to the cinema with my children and friend and my arms and hands started burning out of control again I was having such an panic attack.

 

I started getting muscle twitching too in my limbs and a sunburnt feeling in arms and hands. The next day I had my first appointment with the mental health team the physiatrist diagnosed me with ptsd from the birth and postnatal depression ad said that all feelings were part of this illness I couldn’t understand how this was happening to me , I was so happy before this all happened and I’ve never suffered postnatal depression before.

 

She prescribed me 30mg cymbalta and 25mg quiteapeine A’s by this point I Dudley was having night anxiety too. I said I didn’t want to take any more medication but she explained how people recover from this illness so much quicker if taking medication to help and they couldn’t offer me therapy until I was taking it. I went home feeling helpless and took it and decided to do what they said as I was at a total loss I also reseated postnatal depression and read lots of ways they helped women to recover. I got the following side effects

intense burning patches all over body 

hot sparks landing on me mainly at night

feelibg of ice being injected into my limbs 

feelings of hot liquid being spilled on my legs 

visual hallucinations 

and at this point I attempted an overdose and ended up in hospital. 

 

I was told to carry on with medication and this was all part of my illness 😢

 

i ladtedtgree and half weeks and told my physiatrist I was stopping and did I need to taper as I was at 60 mg of cymbalta she said no and just stop and we will discuss a plan in the new year. I decided to taper with the meds I had left and then stopped I was Med free for three weeks over Xmas and felt ok I had flu symptoms for a week sickness and the intense burning patches were getting less till practically stopping. I though I was getting better but it all came back full force I suddenly stared getting night mares mainly about my children and could feel heat all over my body like burning but only at night it was like being tourchard in my sleep like night terrors.

 

I also would wake up with shooting full pain in my fingertips and struggle to open my hand same in my leg and feet , my legs felt like rubber to walk on after two weeks of this I was back panicking at the doctors asking could this be from the medication I was pleading to be admitted into hospital thinking I had phycosis of some sort from my illness.

 

She ordered a big batch of blood tests and referred me for a mri and well as prescribed me amitriptalyn 10mg she say it was a tiny dose just to hel the night terrors. I took 10mg that night and woke up the next day having slept fine and all the pain and stiffness and rubber legs had gone!

 

I couldn’t understand what was going on I carried on taking it for two days and then had an appointment with my physiatrist she said it was a smartie dose and not helping mummy illness and to start 50mg of the quietipeine for the night terrors prescribed zolof. She said they couldn’t help me until I started stocking with the medication and to push through the side effects as they will go. 

 

I went home and took the quietiapene but started getting burning like heat flitting around my body again so I stopped it and went back to the amitriptalyn to help sleep instead and didn’t start zolof and waited for mri. My mri came back clear and my neurologist suggested acupuncture and suggested not much else. I was on the amitriptalyn 10mg for 4 weeks while all this went on side effects were 

Stinging sensations 

sunburn sensations 

icey hot sensations 

random prickling sensations 

 

i asked the doctor if I should taper he said as 10 mg is so low no as they don’t do a lower dose. After stopping I had electcal zaps around body, stinging on skin or in muscles , sunburn feelings , major anxiety , hot sweats , agitation when driving or trying to watch tv , not being able to rest at all. 

I have been med free for almost 11 weeks and a lot of my symptoms have got less severe but I still live in constant fear of them coming back, I am also now suffering exstreme depression. 

 

11 weeks out ongoing symptoms are

icey hot sensations normally lasted two-3 days coming on in the later part of the day mostly. 

 electrical feeling on skin and dull pains around body normally lasting 2 days together , maybe two days a week completely symptom free. 

 

I am so upset about what is happening to 

Me and worry it will be permanent damage of some sort. Looking back I still can’t process how this is happened and feel so much guilt. I would never have done this being in my right mind I feel so angry that no one was listening and keep telling me I was ill. After being on your site for a month I realise to was probably the drugs causing my illness 😢😢😢 

thank you in advance if you have the time to listen 

Edited by Altostrata
added line breaks
Link to post

Sorry for any spelling mistakes it was a lot to get down, at the start my doctor said my foot pain was a side effect of the epidural which is why I panicked and started suffering anxiety I was worried it would never heal. Anxiety is something I’ve always suffered but managed it and always came out just fine. So worried about my situation now any advice will be much appreciated, thank you . 

Link to post
  • Moderator

Hello, Floss, and welcome to SA.  Please do not blame yourself.  Most of us are here because we took bad advice from doctors.

 

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.  A simple list is the best format, no diagnoses, no symptoms.
 
 
Doctors unfortunately know nothing of withdrawal or tapering.  The symptoms you are experiencing are withdrawal symptoms from going off the Amitriptyline too quickly and at a too-high dose. Even though you were on the drug only 4 weeks, that is long enough to produce withdrawal.   The symptoms you mention are recognized and typical.  The good news is that the damage is not permanent.  The brain has remarkable abilities to heal, known as neuroplasticity.  It is impossible to predict how long these symptoms will last, but it is very encouraging that they are improving.  It is impossible to predict how long these symptoms will last.
 
Here is some information to help you understanding what you're experiencing:
 
 
 
Try and remain as calm as possible and not to panic.  It's important to learn and use Non-drug techniques to cope

 

Audio:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes)
VIDEO:  Peace from Nervous Suffering - Claire Weekes (1 hour) (http://sendvid.com/vgquc1dg)
 
We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

 

 

 

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.
 
This is your introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.  I hope you’ll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation.  I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but I am glad that you found us.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Gridley Introduction

 

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

 

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg 

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper.  Current dose as of Oct 13: 8.1 mg 

Taper is 56.8% complete.

 

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan-Sept 2016 tapered to 16mg.  

Held until Aug 2021, tapered for 4 weeks to 14.4mg and holding.  

Taper is 80% complete.  

  

Supplements: omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotic, zinc, melatonin .3mg


I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Link to post
21 hours ago, Floss said:

Hi I’m new here, and have had a very rough time unfortunately involving prescription drugs. I had my baby last year and was at a very happy time in my life already have two little ones , husband and renovating forever home , I have had anxiety in the past over health and miscarriage but always got over it and have never used meds so always felt great and happy with a few bumps along the way as I’m sure we all do. After 8 days of being out of hospital with my baby I started to feel unwell achey , flu like and I went to doctors who gave me antibiotics for mastitis I took two that day and the next day I woke up my heel was completely numb I shot up out of bed and panicked as I’d had an epidural during birth and stupidly googled worse case and spiralled into panic ended up back on post natal treated for a womb infection on intravenous antibiotics which explained the fluey feelings my feet felt strange and I felt really weak when home again, my foot started burning and throbbing and hurt after walking on it for so long. Went to doctors again and they said it was a side effect from the rip and will go. I couldn’t get my head around it and panicked, regretting it thinking it wouldn’t go or get worse. I burst in to tears when the health visitor came over and she suggested I go to the doctors and start antidepressants, even though I wasn’t depressed just had awful anxiety about it. After refusing she came again the following week and I still was in a panic so she booked me an appointment which I didn’t attend as I knew there was nothing they could do at this point I just needed to ride it out but unfortunately the doctor rang and said it was a sign of postnatal depression and wrote me a script of

Celexa. I had so much worry over my feet o was struggling to function and started thinking maybe they were right and my hormones were making it worse( I know this wasn’t the case and it’s just me as I always panic but calm down eventually) I stupidly started it as I wanted to feel well and they kept saying I would miss out on my baby etc etc so I kind of did it for everyone else really. After 3 days I noticed I was having pins and needles in my feet and legs and arms getting hot flashes and my anxiety was through the roof even worse and while watching tv I had a panic attack and was sweating so I went to bed and stopped taking them. The symptoms carried on for the next two days but seem to calm down abit and my foot still throbbed so I got really upset and my mum took me to the doctors and now my symptoms were worse. I asked her if the celexa could have caused the pins and needles and she said no and I would be feeling any side effects from the tablets two days later she said it was my anxiety. She prescribed me gabipenten and said it would help my foot and stop me worrying basically. I resisted taking it but my foot throbbed and ibuprofen wasn’t working I couldn’t stop worry and my mum said to try them to see if it helped so I did and after the first pill I got a lightning bolt sensations through my head I lasted a week on them and had the following side effects 

muscle spasms in thighs

crawling sensation

tingles through limbs 

muscle pain all over body 

when I stopped the side effects persisted again after a couple of days at this point I started thinking I must have a terrible disease or something! I went to the doctors about it and said I now had pain all around my body and he said I’m going to give you something to help it and prescribed me celexa I couldn’t understand why and he said it was to help the postpartum depression which was causing my symptoms. I felt totally helpless at this point and stupidly took them again as didn’t know what else it could be, that’s when it all went so badly wrong after about five days I started feeling extremely paranoid, anxiety through the roof scared of even feeling water drops on my skin the air on me etc and my arms and hands started burning out of control to the point I had to run them under cold water. I spent the next day unable to get out of bed had panic attacks and didn’t want to live. My husband took me to the doctor who contacted mental health team and prescribed me Lycra for the burning as it was like patches around my body I took it and the burning did subside some but I suddenly got muscle pain again and weakness in my one leg which the doctors said was sciatica I could bearly walk on my one leg and suddenly got back pain too so after one week my doctor said just stop taking it and the muscle pain and leg weakness went completely but the burning skin came back it was like patches all over it would last a few seconds and go somewhere else on my body. The sad thing is by this point my feet were completely better and no longer throbbed but I had all these other issues it was just terrifying I didn’t know what was happening to me. I went back to the doctor and asked if it could be the medication and they said h they couldn’t see how no I’ve stopped it and it was most likely all anxiety. I was about to go on holiday which was all booked and desperately wanted to feel well for my children she suggested mirtazapeine and diazepam I thought I’ve got to try it as my anxiety is out of control even though I’ve never experienced anxiety like this before in my life! After I week I had to stop again side effects were 

ice cube/metal sensations on skin 

feelinging things on skin that aren’t there water drops my baby’s milk etc 

extreme anxiety 

electric feelings in limbs 

sore skin like sunburn 

prickling sensations on skin 

constant hunger

after stopping I stayed off over a week and thought it must be the medication me and my husband were at a total loss by now I was convinced I had ms. I didn’t feel too bad after a week still some of the sensations my mum suggested I take cbd oil from Holland and Barrera for my anxiety so I tried it a few drops throughout the day I started getting the prickling sensations on my skin that afternoon not sure if it was the cbd or the meds still I went to the cinema with my children and friend and my arms and hands started burning out of control again I was having such an panic attack. I started getting muscle twitching too in my limbs and a sunburnt feeling in arms and hands. The next day I had my first appointment with the mental health team the physiatrist diagnosed me with ptsd from the birth and postnatal depression ad said that all feelings were part of this illness I couldn’t understand how this was happening to me , I was so happy before this all happened and I’ve never suffered postnatal depression before. She prescribed me 30mg cymbalta and 25mg quiteapeine A’s by this point I Dudley was having night anxiety too. I said I didn’t want to take any more medication but she explained how people recover from this illness so much quicker if taking medication to help and they couldn’t offer me therapy until I was taking it. I went home feeling helpless and took it and decided to do what they said as I was at a total loss I also reseated postnatal depression and read lots of ways they helped women to recover. I got the following side effects

intense burning patches all over body 

hot sparks landing on me mainly at night

feelibg of ice being injected into my limbs 

feelings of hot liquid being spilled on my legs 

visual hallucinations 

and at this point I attempted an overdose and ended up in hospital. 

I was told to carry on with medication and this was all part of my illness 😢

i ladtedtgree and half weeks and told my physiatrist I was stopping and did I need to taper as I was at 60 mg of cymbalta she said no and just stop and we will discuss a plan in the new year. I decided to taper with the meds I had left and then stopped I was Med free for three weeks over Xmas and felt ok I had flu symptoms for a week sickness and the intense burning patches were getting less till practically stopping. I though I was getting better but it all came back full force I suddenly stared getting night mares mainly about my children and could feel heat all over my body like burning but only at night it was like being tourchard in my sleep like night terrors. I also would wake up with shooting full pain in my fingertips and struggle to open my hand same in my leg and feet , my legs felt like rubber to walk on after two weeks of this I was back panicking at the doctors asking could this be from the medication I was pleading to be admitted into hospital thinking I had phycosis of some sort from my illness. She ordered a big batch of blood tests and referred me for a mri and well as prescribed me amitriptalyn 10mg she say it was a tiny dose just to hel the night terrors. I took 10mg that night and woke up the next day having slept fine and all the pain and stiffness and rubber legs had gone! I couldn’t understand what was going on I carried on taking it for two days and then had an appointment with my physiatrist she said it was a smartie dose and not helping mummy illness and to start 50mg of the quietipeine for the night terrors prescribed zolof. She said they couldn’t help me until I started stocking with the medication and to push through the side effects as they will go. 

I went home and took the quietiapene but started getting burning like heat flitting around my body again so I stopped it and went back to the amitriptalyn to help sleep instead and didn’t start zolof and waited for mri. My mri came back clear and my neurologist suggested acupuncture and suggested not much else. I was on the amitriptalyn 10mg for 4 weeks while all this went on side effects were 

Stinging sensations 

sunburn sensations 

icey hot sensations 

random prickling sensations 

i asked the doctor if I should taper he said as 10 mg is so low no as they don’t do a lower dose. After stopping I had electcal zaps around body, stinging on skin or in muscles , sunburn feelings , major anxiety , hot sweats , agitation when driving or trying to watch tv , not being able to rest at all. 

I have been med free for almost 11 weeks and a lot of my symptoms have got less severe but I still live in constant fear of them coming back, I am also now suffering exstreme depression. 

11 weeks out ongoing symptoms are

icey hot sensations normally lasted two-3 days coming on in the later part of the day mostly. 

 electrical feeling on skin and dull pains around body normally lasting 2 days together , maybe two days a week completely symptom free. 

I am so upset about what is happening to 

Me and worry it will be permanent damage of some sort. Looking back I still can’t process how this is happened and feel so much guilt. I would never have done this being in my right mind I feel so angry that no one was listening and keep telling me I was ill. After being on your site for a month I realise to was probably the drugs causing my illness 😢😢😢 

thank you in advance if you have the time to listen 

Thank you very much for your time and help to advise , I am really struggling at the moment as I have a feeling of Icey hot all over which seems to get worse when I panic I just so scared it won’t go. I had these icey hot feeling come on while taking amitriptalyn but only in the evening can side effects linger or is it withdrawal, or both? 

I have been recommended by a homeapath doctor to drink grapefruit juice every morning with apple cider vinegar with the mother and a dash of turmeric, which I have been doing for about two weeks now , I will look into the other supplements you suggested too. He also mentioned acupuncture!? 

Thank you again I’m driving my self crazy worried I have some sort of disease so very hard 😞 

 

here is is my info on drugs/doses 

celexa - not sure of dose as didn’t check at time - taken for 3-4 days 

gabepentein - taken for one week again don’t know dose 

celexa- taken for 5 days a lower dose than before I think maybe 10 or 15mg 

lycra- taken for one week 

mirtazapeine- 15 mg taken for one week 

diazepam-10mg taken for five days 

cymbalta 30mg taken for two weeks with quietiapein 25 mg 

cymbalta 60mg taken for one week with quietiapein 25mg 

cymbalta 30mg taken for 4 days with 10mg of quietiapein 

amitryptalyn taken for 4 weeks at 10mg tried to up dose to 20mg for 3 days but couldn’t tolerate so brought back down to 10mg. 

Link to post
  • Moderator
3 hours ago, Floss said:

here is is my info on drugs/doses 

 

Floss,

 

Could you please put your drug information in a drug signature using the following link. That way your drug history will show up every time you post.  Please add dates as well as you can remember them.

 

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

 

If you try acupuncture, be sure to tell the acupuncturist that you want a calming effect from the procedure, not a stimulating (activating) effect.

 

Worrying so much is not good for you.  If it would make you feel better, have tests done.  Very likely nothing will be found, but you will eliminate that source of worry.

Gridley Introduction

 

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

 

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg 

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper.  Current dose as of Oct 13: 8.1 mg 

Taper is 56.8% complete.

 

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan-Sept 2016 tapered to 16mg.  

Held until Aug 2021, tapered for 4 weeks to 14.4mg and holding.  

Taper is 80% complete.  

  

Supplements: omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotic, zinc, melatonin .3mg


I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Link to post

Ok thank you will do, I have had an mri test all clear so the doctors just look at me blank really. I know it must be from the drugs as what else could it be , but family members look at me like I’m mad when I say I’m suffering because of the medication and just say it’s out your system it can’t possibly be that , so isolating. Lots of people I know how taken them and haven’t mentioned such effects either, not that I’ve actually asked. Thank you for your advise on acupuncture I will make sure I do , I haven’t had it yet as I’m hesitant to try anything else. Is there anyone on this site who has experienced similar side effects? Or tried the acupuncture, I understand every one reacts differently though. Thanks again 

Link to post
  • ChessieCat changed the title to floss: misdiagnosed
  • Moderator Emeritus

 

Your post has been moved to the existing SA topic:  acupuncture

 

 

On 5/2/2019 at 6:30 AM, Gridley said:

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature

 

As previously requested:

 

Please create your drug signature using the following format.   Keep it simple.  NO diagnoses or symptoms please - thank you.

  • details for last 2 years - dates, ALL drugs, doses
  • summary for older than 2 years - just years and drug/s

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

So close to the end!!!

🏁

Current from 16 October 2021:  Pristiq 0.005mg

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering Oct 2015 

My full tapering program     My Intro (goes to my tapering graph)    My website

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions.  I do not provide tapering advice via PM.  Please post questions in your Introduction topic.  Please do not tag me for any reason.  I am an unpaid volunteer and assist members if I am able to and when I have the time.  Thank you for your understanding.

Link to post

Hi has anyone had the burning feeling on skin where it feels sore and other skin symptoms, I had very bad burning sensations when taking these tablets and still getting these symptoms nearly 5 months after stopping, has any one had them go away on there own? My doctor has suggested trying pregabalin to help!? Not sure what to think of it all anymore 😞

Link to post
  • Moderator Emeritus

2 topics merged.

 

There are many existing topics on SA.  Before creating a new topic please either use the site search function or google and add survivingantidepressants.org to the search term.  Googling  survivingantidepressants.org burning found this topic:

 

burning-skin-burning-feet

 

So close to the end!!!

🏁

Current from 16 October 2021:  Pristiq 0.005mg

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering Oct 2015 

My full tapering program     My Intro (goes to my tapering graph)    My website

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions.  I do not provide tapering advice via PM.  Please post questions in your Introduction topic.  Please do not tag me for any reason.  I am an unpaid volunteer and assist members if I am able to and when I have the time.  Thank you for your understanding.

Link to post

Hi I am having a bad time at the moment after a very bad reaction to meds , since stopping amitriptalyn the last one I took 10mg for 4 weeks doctor said no need to taper, I have been ill will days feeling ok in between but then I’ll again. I’ve been going on like this for months and have 3 small children so it’s unbelievable hard when I’m normally so well, my question is should I consider taking something at the moment to relieve my symptoms I’m not sure what be I feel I can’t go on like this. Reinstate the amitriptalyn or doctor has suggested maybe zolof or pregabalin ? Hopeless 😩 

Link to post
  • Administrator
Altostrata

Hello, Floss.

 

It looks like you have had a series of adverse reactions to psychiatric drugs. I would be wary of any further advice regarding psychiatric drugs from your doctor and mental health team. What are your current symptoms? Are they worse at any particular time of day?

 

How long has it been since you took any psychiatric drugs? Have your symptoms been gradually changing? How have they been changing?

 

10mg amitriptyline was the most comfortable for you, wasn't it? Do you have any amitriptyline left? Please do not take anything yet.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Link to post

Hello thank you very much for getting back, I’ve had side effects from all amitriptalyn was probably the least but still I had weird sensations with it so I am scared to go back on, I’m not sure if I’ve been so ill from the different drugs or if it amitriptalyn withdrawal. My current symptoms are sore skin mainly top half of body feels like sunburn burning hands which I have had all day today but probably get it once a week maybe twice not so bad on the second day usally. Cold sensations under skin in the evenings but not as serve as months ago not too noticeable. I had 4 days previous to this with not many physical symptoms just the evenings slightly , unrelenting anxiety 24/7 very bad in the morning I struggle to function because of it and have 3 children. My symptoms for the first 3 months after stopping we’re awful , I had to go to bed early and couldn’t stay up with my husband to help so they have got less intense. The last 4 days were quite good and then today is bad I just don’t understand why this keeps happening. I was thinking of going back to doctors tomorrow very low struggling very much with what’s happening 

Link to post
  • Administrator
Altostrata
On 5/1/2019 at 5:36 AM, Floss said:

She ordered a big batch of blood tests and referred me for a mri and well as prescribed me amitriptalyn 10mg she say it was a tiny dose just to hel the night terrors. I took 10mg that night and woke up the next day having slept fine and all the pain and stiffness and rubber legs had gone!

 

I couldn’t understand what was going on I carried on taking it for two days and then had an appointment with my physiatrist she said it was a smartie dose and not helping mummy illness and to start 50mg of the quietipeine for the night terrors prescribed zolof. She said they couldn’t help me until I started stocking with the medication and to push through the side effects as they will go. 

 

It appears you did better with 10mg amitriptyline at first, but for some stupid reason the physiatrist (what kind of doctor is this?) told you to take more drugs, and then you did poorly. Is this correct?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Link to post

I had already been prescribed quite a few drugs before the  amitriptalyn and the last at Christmas being cymbalta and quitiapene I took for 3 weeks and wanted off side effects were awful she said no need to taper so I came down with what I had left over about 5 days, I was getting better for about 3 weeks and then suddenly got hit with night terrors pain in limbs struggling to walk I couldn’t work out what was wrong with me so this is when the physiatrist put me on amitriptalyn 10mg it worked for first couple of days I woke up and all the symptoms just went which I don’t know why but yes then the physiatrist messed around again she wanted me back on quitiapene and zolof I didn’t take the zolof took one or two nights on quitiapene and then got awful symptoms so quickly went back on amitriptalyn it took a while to settle on it then and still wasn’t great 

Doctor put me on amitriptalyn sorry not physiatrist 

Link to post
  • Administrator
Altostrata

It sounds like you're gradually improving since you went off the drugs, see The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

 

Are you taking any other drugs at all?

 

How are you sleeping? Do your symptoms follow any daily pattern?  Please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms. You can post them in this topic with a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom, drug and dosage) on the right.

 

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Link to post
  • 2 years later...

Hello i was on the forum a couple of years ago in a very bad withdrawal, i didnt stay around long and did recover after 14 months off , sorry i didnt come back i was going to when ready but glad i didnt now as im In a setback . I was well for 14 months even had another baby all was well until this past june 5 months after the birth i had the covid jab and then lost my hearing in my right ear the doctors said it was a reaction and to take 60mg of steroid prednisolone strait away as could lose it permanently i didnt want to take it as ive been so careful but i was reassured by them it wouldnt effect my nervous system the same way . It turned out to be fluid in my ear so didnt need it after all that . It’s basically brought back my withdrawal symptoms and im still in it two months later . Its not as serve as acute but its still devastating symptoms im

having are 

Anxiety very bad in the morning 

sore skin over my body like sunburn again 

sensations under my skin 

and intolerance to cold / temperature change . 
will this be permanent for me now as ive caused the damage again? Please help somebody im so distraught , i have 4 children and were all going through this hell again , had to cancel our holiday i cant handle The regret , i made it to the other side now im Back in my worst nightmare 😢

Link to post

Just wondered if anyone has seen this as theres a triangle by my post 

Link to post
  • Moderator
Go2zero

Hi Floss,

 

Welcome back again on this support site. I have merged your new post with your earlier posts to have everything together. In this way we have a better view on what happened. Please do not open new threads again and post everything in this thread.

 

I feel so sorry to read what happened to you! You did such a great job in getting off medication!

 

I am not fully sure, but in my opinion you had an adverse reaction either on the covid jab and/or on the prednisolone. It is my opinion that people who suffered from WD of AD's often have a very sensitized nervous system. Even after recovery we still can be very sensitive to all kind of substances like alcohol, coffee, sugar and lots of medications.

 

I guess this is the case with you. It is very hard to say for sure, but I guess it may be compared with the WD symptoms most of the members are experiencing. I guess that time has to heal you again. The symptoms you describe are very comparable with AD WD symptoms.

 

Maybe other moderators or members can add something to this.

1993    Anafranil (Clomipramine) for a few months. Later in 1993 Paxil for a few months 1993- 2006      No medication

2006   Effexor, Cymbalta, some Benzo’s. All for short periods. Later in 2006 Lexapro (escitalopram) 10 mg and shortly after Wellbutrin XR 150mg, against side effects Lexapro 

Since 2006 until end of 2015: Several times on and off Lexapro and Wellbutrin and several slight dosage changes. Mostly taken dosages: 5mg Lexapro and 150mg Wellbutrin

2016  Dosage change Lexapro from 5mg to 2,5 mg. Wellbutrin stayed om 150mg

November 2016 – April 2017 Down from 2,5mg to 0,6mg Lexapro (in steps) without much problems. Wellbutrin down from 150mg to 66mg. Also without much problems.

April 2017 – March 2019       Lexapro 0,6 mg        April 2017 - August 2018       Wellbutrin in small steps down from 66mg in to 37,5 mg . Quite heavy WD after each step.

March 2019 – May 2019 Lexapro down from 0,6 to 0,3mg then Prozac to 0,6 mg switch because severe discontinuation effects (may also have been from Wellbutrin..)    

Wellbutrin down from 37,5mg to 35,3mg 

October 2019        Seroquel 12,5 mg for 4 weeks because of extreme sleeping problems, then weaning off in 2 weeks       Prozac up dosage to 1,2 mg

March 2020     Wellbutrin in 2 steps down from 35,3mg to 33,3mg   Extreme withdrawal affects during 8 months. Stopped tapering Wellbutrin  until total off Prozac. February 2020 – November 2020   Prozac down in steps from 1,2mg to 0,57mg. 

Jan 2021 Prozac down to:  0,55> 0,53>0,51mg,   Feb 0,47mg ,  Mar 0,42mg,   Apr 0,37, longer hold because of WD symptoms July 0,36 and hold again

 

Supplements: Fish Oil (3000mg), Magnesium 100 mg, 2 drops of Lavender Oil when feeling anxiety. 50mg of L-Theanine when severe discontinuation effects caused by Wellbutrin

 

Please note this is NOT a medical advice. Discuss all your medical issues with a doctor who understands psychical drugs and really knows how to withdraw from them. I wish that you will find one.

Link to post

Thank you for your reply i do really appreciate your time , so do you think it’s possible i can heal again ? The only thing i noticed i was sensitive to was alcohol after I recovered so i didnt touch it but everything else ive been ok . Do you think im back to the start again or longer ? 

Link to post
  • Moderator
Go2zero

It is really hard to say. It is a quite specific reaction. Not initiated by AD use. I guess you will heal again. How much time it takes would be guessing....

 

I think it is a reaction of your sensitized CNS. I will discuss it with other moderators and ask their opinion. 

1993    Anafranil (Clomipramine) for a few months. Later in 1993 Paxil for a few months 1993- 2006      No medication

2006   Effexor, Cymbalta, some Benzo’s. All for short periods. Later in 2006 Lexapro (escitalopram) 10 mg and shortly after Wellbutrin XR 150mg, against side effects Lexapro 

Since 2006 until end of 2015: Several times on and off Lexapro and Wellbutrin and several slight dosage changes. Mostly taken dosages: 5mg Lexapro and 150mg Wellbutrin

2016  Dosage change Lexapro from 5mg to 2,5 mg. Wellbutrin stayed om 150mg

November 2016 – April 2017 Down from 2,5mg to 0,6mg Lexapro (in steps) without much problems. Wellbutrin down from 150mg to 66mg. Also without much problems.

April 2017 – March 2019       Lexapro 0,6 mg        April 2017 - August 2018       Wellbutrin in small steps down from 66mg in to 37,5 mg . Quite heavy WD after each step.

March 2019 – May 2019 Lexapro down from 0,6 to 0,3mg then Prozac to 0,6 mg switch because severe discontinuation effects (may also have been from Wellbutrin..)    

Wellbutrin down from 37,5mg to 35,3mg 

October 2019        Seroquel 12,5 mg for 4 weeks because of extreme sleeping problems, then weaning off in 2 weeks       Prozac up dosage to 1,2 mg

March 2020     Wellbutrin in 2 steps down from 35,3mg to 33,3mg   Extreme withdrawal affects during 8 months. Stopped tapering Wellbutrin  until total off Prozac. February 2020 – November 2020   Prozac down in steps from 1,2mg to 0,57mg. 

Jan 2021 Prozac down to:  0,55> 0,53>0,51mg,   Feb 0,47mg ,  Mar 0,42mg,   Apr 0,37, longer hold because of WD symptoms July 0,36 and hold again

 

Supplements: Fish Oil (3000mg), Magnesium 100 mg, 2 drops of Lavender Oil when feeling anxiety. 50mg of L-Theanine when severe discontinuation effects caused by Wellbutrin

 

Please note this is NOT a medical advice. Discuss all your medical issues with a doctor who understands psychical drugs and really knows how to withdraw from them. I wish that you will find one.

Link to post
  • Altostrata changed the title to Floss Set back
  • Administrator
Altostrata

Floss, you did take the prednisolone? We have been seeing that taking steroids can cause symptoms similar to withdrawal symptoms.

 

How's your sleep?

 

We expect very slow recovery, as before. Hang in there, be patient.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Link to post

Yes unfortunately i did 😞 i was told i would lose my hearing if i didnt by my doctor, i took it for one day 60mg , i had some sode effects on that night flushing and soaced out but over the next few days i could feel my withdrawal symptoms coming back , they are identical yo the symptoms i had before in withdrawal its been 2 months now . Do you think ive done permanent damage this time , thank you for your reply , i cant see many success stories on setbacks do people get setback after a long period of being well ? 

Link to post

My sleep is ok but i wake up with very bad anxiety and my skin is sore all over , i cant go on and do this again i really dont feel i can , im Scared it will be years , i have 4 children i just cant see how to accept this and function through , i did notice i couldnt drink after healing maybe that was a sign i had a little bit more recovery to go 

Link to post
ghm2018

Hi @Floss  14 months ago, I made the unfortunate decision of trying a “non-invasive” treatment bamed Cereset to help rebalance my brain.  That was a huge regrettable mistake for me as it triggered old symptoms and some that I had not had before. Things have calmed down considerably, thankfully, but as with the first adverse reaction I had, it has taken quite some time to get there.  

 

You are strong and you can do this.  Please try to focus on your four children who need you.  Things will calm down over time. As we know, it just takes time and a lot of it.  And while you’re waiting, be kind to yourself. 💛

2002 - 2014, 500mg Keppra 2x’s/day (anti-seizure med)

2003 thru 2004 - 10 mg Remeron

2005ish - Adverse reactions to single doses of Zoloft, Wellbutrin, and Lexapro (no long-lasting problems)

2012 - Buspar (overly energized, stopped immediately, no long-lasting problems)

2014 - 1 month taper off of 500mg Keppra (Leviteracitam) - seizure free for 12 years 

2017 - 500mg Leviteracitam (generic keppra) 

2017 - Mid-Dec experienced adverse reaction to Leviteracitam due to different manufacturer. Stopped on Dec 20.

2018 - Jan 1st, 10 mg Fluoxetine (generic prozac) experienced severe adverse reaction after 3 doses and continue to experience issues today. 

2003 - 2018 Ativan, occasionally/rarely
Link to post
1 hour ago, ghm2018 said:

Hi @Floss  14 months ago, I made the unfortunate decision of trying a “non-invasive” treatment bamed Cereset to help rebalance my brain.  That was a huge regrettable mistake for me as it triggered old symptoms and some that I had not had before. Things have calmed down considerably, thankfully, but as with the first adverse reaction I had, it has taken quite some time to get there.  

 

You are strong and you can do this.  Please try to focus on your four children who need you.  Things will calm down over time. As we know, it just takes time and a lot of it.  And while you’re waiting, be kind to yourself. 💛

Thank you for the reassurance, sorry that happened to you , its so upsetting when you spent so long waiting and then you have to go through it again . Are you feeling ok these days? 

Link to post

Hi Floss, you will be recovered! I had a antibiotic induced setback and now is the month 4.5, I’m in a big wave now but before this wave I felt almost 80% healed after 4 months, so be patient and hang in there 🤗

Xanax 0.4mg on and off only for bedtime occasionally from 2015

2019.6 Xanax Inter-dose withdraw after 8 weeks continuous usage 

2019.6.3 100mg Zoloft

2019.6.27 CT 0.4mg Xanax cross over to 7.14mg Valium 75mg Trazodone

2019.8.29 Jumped Valium at 0.5mg

2019.12.15 Jumped Zoloft at 4mg

2020.1.4 Jumped Trazodone at 5mg

2020.6.1 95% healed with no symptoms and sleep very well

 

2021.4.6 Reinstated 1mg Zoloft and 10mg x3 Tandospirone for anxiety setback from antibiotics 2021.4.25 0.5mg Zoloft and 10mg x3 Tandospirone 2021.5.7 Jumped Zoloft at 0.25mg as adverse effects 2021.6.2Tapered and jumped Tandospirone as mild serotonin syndrome Couldn’t take Seremind (Lavender oil) neither it could also cause the serotonin syndrome 2021.6.13 1mg Cyproheptadine before bed and got better and better 2021.8.13 Bad wave don’t know if triggered by chocolate ice cream

Link to post
  • Administrator
Altostrata

See

 

@Floss To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Link to post
  • 1 month later...

medication

 

i am in a setback from a steroid feeling hopeless and now after going through withdrawal and recovering they want to put me back on medication, if i took a huge overdose of painkillers to end my life and it didn’t work and i survived would my setback be worse? 

 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic
Link to post

i’m planning on leaving my family today i’m sorry to bring this here but where else can i go , i don’t want to wake up in a worse setback . i have about 200 tablets i’m hoping the chances of this is unlikely 

Link to post
  • ChessieCat changed the title to Floss: Set back
  • Moderator Emeritus
ChessieCat
37 minutes ago, Floss said:

i’m planning on leaving my family today

 

If you are feeling suicidal, or planning on suicide, please find local support.

 

Also see this topic where you might find something which helps you gain perspective on your situation.

 

for-those-who-are-feeling-desperate-or-suicidal

So close to the end!!!

🏁

Current from 16 October 2021:  Pristiq 0.005mg

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering Oct 2015 

My full tapering program     My Intro (goes to my tapering graph)    My website

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions.  I do not provide tapering advice via PM.  Please post questions in your Introduction topic.  Please do not tag me for any reason.  I am an unpaid volunteer and assist members if I am able to and when I have the time.  Thank you for your understanding.

Link to post

I reacted to all medication 2 years ago over a space of 4 months then recovered and have now been setback by a steroid, would going on something now cause awful reactions again ? 

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy