SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

rilexapro: Problems with APRN, led to problems with Lexapro.

rilexapro

9 hours ago, NoMoreLexapro said:

Hang in there.  I endured the worse period of my life  being on and in WD from lexapro and had to go to the ER 16x and as barely functional for almost a year with over 70 side effects/symptoms.  I'm almost fully recovered now.  You will improve.  I have faith in your recovery.

I'm really sorry that happened to you, and I am happy you are close to a full recovery. Also, thank you for the well wishes. Like I've said, it could be that I caught something really bad, because my blood work seems to imply it, but Lexapro probably didn't help at all. I'm glad I no longer take SSRIs. If Lexapro helps somebody, that's fine, but I don't think it's for me anymore. I no longer get extremely OCD/Anxiety ridden. Could be for a lot of reasons.

The one thing that bothers me a bit is that I've had memory loss of old childhood memories, and it's not really recovering much, but that could be due to intense stress, or something else. Serotonin affects memory, but I haven't heard of Lexapro causing long term memory problems. Not sure.

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

30mg Lexapro from 2016-2020

30mg cold turkey in June 2020 due to issues with APRN

Re-instatement of 10mg of Lexapro in late September 2020 due to panic attack

Cold turkey 10mg Lexapro early October 2020 due to sudden health problems possibly caused by Lexapro

Now taking 20mg of Lisinopril. Stopped iron supplement over the counter for low iron due to feeling sick while taking it. Taking a vitamin D supplement alongside the Lisinopril.

Has anybody ever experienced what feels like shallow, labored breathing, where it feels like your breathing pathways in your nasal cavity/chest area are inflamed/irritated? Can that happen with Lexapro?

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

Cold turkey 10mg Lexapro early October 2020 due to sudden health problems possibly caused by Lexapro

Now taking 20mg of Lisinopril. Stopped iron supplement over the counter for low iron due to feeling sick while taking it. Taking a vitamin D supplement alongside the Lisinopril.

I had severe breathing problems for several months while in WD.  Yes- very possible, sadly.

Was on Lexapro for 66 days starting in early January.  5mg for a week, 10mg for 3, 7.5 for 3 days, then 5mg and 2.5mg for approx two weeks after.  

Was on Lithium for 60 days starting in late January. 1 300mg ER pill a day.  Stopped CT

Was given a .5 ativan script in early Jan.  Took it maybe 20x total from early Jan to beg of June, 2020.

-Fall of 2019:  had two vertigo attacks for the first time with no warning, each followed by 4-5 days of morning dizziness.

-Last Friday of 2019:  had first ever, out of the blue, panic attack.  Went to ER- didn't know what was happening.  Was diagnosed w/GAD, even though had never had anxiety or depression problems before.  Basically no health problems at all prior to this, and in very good shape emotionally, physically, and mentally.

-4 days after panic attack given lexapro.  That's when the hell began.  Was on it 66 days.  Reacted badly to it.  Gave me suicidal ideation 4 wks after starting it, plus exhaustion, off the charts anxiety, dizziness, and fatigue.  Did a fast taper over 5 wks.  Was on it 66 days total.

-been off lexapro completely since mid-March, 2020.  First 3 weeks I got better and better.  Then, week 4 into WD got slammed.  Since then, over 64 side effects/symptoms.  Can't drive.  At times, barely surviving.

-since Jan., have been to the e r 16x.

-was given lithium after experienced SI from lexapro to as a "mood stabilizer".  Never really noticed anything from it, nor anything after stopping it, except for a few days of heightened depression about a week after.

-was given low dosage ativan script 2nd week into lexapro to deal with the anxiety/panic spike caused by the lexapro.  Took it perhaps 20x between Jan and June, 2020.  Always made me feel better, but last time it was taken (early June) experienced intrusive thoughts after so stopped it.  Didn't feel any negative reaction from stopping it, perhaps b/c it was taken so infrequently and the dosage was so low. 

58 minutes ago, NoMoreLexapro said:

I had severe breathing problems for several months while in WD.  Yes- very possible, sadly.

Have you had any tests/scans done? I've had a few CT scans and MRIs. Blood work too.

It stinks, because COVID symptoms and WD symptoms can be basically the same, so I'm stuck wondering what is what. I was in an ER and encountered EMTs, it's possible I caught it.

Did you have any numbness issues in your face/body? How's your memory?

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

Had dozens of tests and scans done.  Nothing conclusive.  Numbness- sure...had tons of weird body sensations/pain/problems.  Memory isn't great but much, much better than when I was in WD...I was barely cognitively functioning then.

Was on Lexapro for 66 days starting in early January.  5mg for a week, 10mg for 3, 7.5 for 3 days, then 5mg and 2.5mg for approx two weeks after.  

Was on Lithium for 60 days starting in late January. 1 300mg ER pill a day.  Stopped CT

Was given a .5 ativan script in early Jan.  Took it maybe 20x total from early Jan to beg of June, 2020.

-Fall of 2019:  had two vertigo attacks for the first time with no warning, each followed by 4-5 days of morning dizziness.

-Last Friday of 2019:  had first ever, out of the blue, panic attack.  Went to ER- didn't know what was happening.  Was diagnosed w/GAD, even though had never had anxiety or depression problems before.  Basically no health problems at all prior to this, and in very good shape emotionally, physically, and mentally.

-4 days after panic attack given lexapro.  That's when the hell began.  Was on it 66 days.  Reacted badly to it.  Gave me suicidal ideation 4 wks after starting it, plus exhaustion, off the charts anxiety, dizziness, and fatigue.  Did a fast taper over 5 wks.  Was on it 66 days total.

-been off lexapro completely since mid-March, 2020.  First 3 weeks I got better and better.  Then, week 4 into WD got slammed.  Since then, over 64 side effects/symptoms.  Can't drive.  At times, barely surviving.

-since Jan., have been to the e r 16x.

-was given lithium after experienced SI from lexapro to as a "mood stabilizer".  Never really noticed anything from it, nor anything after stopping it, except for a few days of heightened depression about a week after.

-was given low dosage ativan script 2nd week into lexapro to deal with the anxiety/panic spike caused by the lexapro.  Took it perhaps 20x between Jan and June, 2020.  Always made me feel better, but last time it was taken (early June) experienced intrusive thoughts after so stopped it.  Didn't feel any negative reaction from stopping it, perhaps b/c it was taken so infrequently and the dosage was so low. 

Getting a bit worried again about them finding hyperintensities in my brain. It could be a sign of something very bad that happened, and considering my cognitive decline, it might be I have genuine brain damage. How could I have a neurotoxicity that causes such awful things? I stopped the Lexapro again after feeling sick, it should have ended then.

I've seen some other people on here mention lesions, but I don't have MS. Did Lexapro really damage my brain that badly? It's too young to have them at 26.

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

• Moderator Emeritus
On 12/19/2021 at 4:25 PM, rilexapro said:

If it's a TMJ problem, wouldn't a brain MRI show that? Not sure.

I don't know.  That's a question for a doctor.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• Moderator Emeritus
7 hours ago, rilexapro said:

've seen some other people on here mention lesions, but I don't have MS. Did Lexapro really damage my brain that badly? It's too young to have them at 26.

Lexapro does not damage the brain.  It makes changes to the brain, that then takes months to years to reverse.  The nervous system is extremely complex, and contains billions of cells.  Lexapro downregulates the serotonin receptors, of which there are millions, and each and every one of those receptors must now upregulate as the drug is tapered down.  The only answer to this is time, and patience.  Your cognitive decline in all likelihood is caused by 2 cold turkeys off the Lexapro in 2 years.  If it were me, I would stay off the psych meds altogether, and use natural means of healing myself and being very gentle with my nervous system.  Have you considered trying omega-3 fish oil or flax seed oil?  This can help with mental clarity.  Start with a small amount to see how it affects you.  Here is a link on that.  

Omega 3 Fish Oil

You may not need to spend the time and money on these various medical tests.  It may help you to try to take your mind off the symptoms of withdrawal, and try to accept that your nervous system is destabilized right now, and that your body will heal itself, which in all likelihood it will.  Acceptance will help remove the worry and anxiety, and reduce your suffering.  

https://www.dbtselfhelp.com/html/radical_acceptance_text.html

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

2 hours ago, getofflex said:

Lexapro does not damage the brain.  It makes changes to the brain, that then takes months to years to reverse.  The nervous system is extremely complex, and contains billions of cells.  Lexapro downregulates the serotonin receptors, of which there are millions, and each and every one of those receptors must now upregulate as the drug is tapered down.  The only answer to this is time, and patience.  Your cognitive decline in all likelihood is caused by 2 cold turkeys off the Lexapro in 2 years.  If it were me, I would stay off the psych meds altogether, and use natural means of healing myself and being very gentle with my nervous system.  Have you considered trying omega-3 fish oil or flax seed oil?  This can help with mental clarity.  Start with a small amount to see how it affects you.  Here is a link on that.  

Omega 3 Fish Oil

You may not need to spend the time and money on these various medical tests.  It may help you to try to take your mind off the symptoms of withdrawal, and try to accept that your nervous system is destabilized right now, and that your body will heal itself, which in all likelihood it will.  Acceptance will help remove the worry and anxiety, and reduce your suffering.  

https://www.dbtselfhelp.com/html/radical_acceptance_text.html

I know you can't answer this most likely, then what do you think the reason is for the FLAIR hyperintensities? I have read multiple stories of people with COVID having the exact same results post-infection. I think you're correct that my Lexapro usage is responsible for things, but the intense severity of my issues, something I had never had before with Lexapro, ever, comes off like I caught something as well.

I think when I first went on Lexapro, I felt a bit weird, but nothing ever this severe. I just worry about the hyperintensities, because the results I see online seem to imply that it's brain scars/brain damage. My neurologist wasn't worried, but he also implied that my problems are anxiety-related, so I don't trust his opinion very much.

I try not to think about it, but stories you read of people having PSSD years later, and other neurological problems that just don't recover for them, is worrying. I wish I never let people push me back onto Lexapro. My mood is more stable off of it. I didn't need it anymore, and going back on it might have caused this through kindling. I could have possibly avoided it entirely. I thought going back on was the responsible thing to do to stabilize my possible withdrawal-influenced emotional state.

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, rilexapro said:

what do you think the reason is for the FLAIR hyperintensities?

I'm not familiar with this.  

I didn't need it anymore, and going back on it might have caused this through kindling.

It may have caused some kindling.  However, we see people who were on many more drugs than you, who do recover, and go on to live normal lives.  Have you tried reading any of the success stories?  Go to the home page, about halfway down the page.  

12 minutes ago, getofflex said:

It may have caused some kindling.  However, we see people who were on many more drugs than you, who do recover, and go on to live normal lives.  Have you tried reading any of the success stories?  Go to the home page, about halfway down the page.  

From what I know, "kindling" is just a bad reaction to the medication. This can happen with a plethora of things, chemotherapy being one of them that can cause an adverse reaction. I just find it odd that a medication that was in my system for so long would react this badly. 3 months isn't a giant span of time between cold turkey and reinstatement. People wait longer to go back on, and 10mg is a normal dosage compared to 30mg.

Kindling causing chronic problems like this seems like a very acute reaction. Nobody on here can say for sure, I think. If my MRI was normal I'd feel less concerned about it. The hyperintensities could be from hypertension, COVID (which is a vascular disease, and they said the hyperintensities were usually seen in microvascular changes), lots of things. They weren't mentioned in my first MRI this year, so I'm not sure if they're new, or were seen as inconsequential to the first radiologist, but not the second one.

Also about success stories, my fatigue is virtually gone, and so are my sinus problems for the most part, so I am seeing improvement, but the memory loss related to old memories hasn't changed much, and it really bothers me.

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

Woke up feeling ill again, blood in my mucus too. Both my PCR and rapid COVID tests were negative, but it might be too late to get a positive test, as my symptoms started over a year ago. Memory is sluggish today again, but the fatigue went away quickly.

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

I discussed my story with somebody else, and they said the ARPN keeping me on Lexapro for as long as they did was irresponsible, and they should have discussed with me tapering off of Lexapro about a year into it, seeing if I needed it anymore. Instead, I was kept on it for about 7 or so years, with 4 of those at 30mg of Lexapro. 

I can't remember this person ever suggesting that, were they keeping me on it to make money off of me, not caring about if I was having bad side effects? Like I said, they never required me to see a therapist or PCP before I possibly had side effects to their medication. Were they wrong here? Should I have pushed to get off it? I never mentioned any side effects from the Lexapro, because I didn't really have any until October 2020 (possibly, still not confirmed), so maybe they thought keeping me on it was fine?

The fact they completely dropped me as a client once I had possible side effects seems like it warrants their license being revoked. No proper discharge or anything, and they were completely fine with putting me back on Lexapro, no requirements to see a therapist until the possible bad reaction. The fact my MRI was abnormal is worrying, but I don't know how to prove Lexapro did it, if it did that.

I filed a complaint with my state DOH, but who knows how long that'll take to get looked into, and if they'll do anything anyway.

I'm guessing since my anxiety/anger problems are virtually gone, the Lexapro was causing a lot of that, hurting me more than it was helping me. It could also be just life experiences changing me. Who knows. My breakdown last year was similar to one I had in 2012, so it wasn't something unheard of before. It could have been from withdrawal, but it was about 2 and a half months after quitting Lexapro. Withdrawal usually happens a lot sooner than that, and quitting 30mg cold turkey should have caused a quicker withdrawal problem than 2.5 months. I didn't have any other possible withdrawal symptoms, and I had been a wreck that year anyway, even while on Lexapro, so it could be that wasn't even the cause. My story is sort of vague with a lot of the incidents. 

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

• Moderator Emeritus

Unfortunately, many of us had the same experience.  Medical people park us on these drugs, and leave us on them indefinitely.  I was kept on my Lexapro for 15 years, before I chose to start weaning off, in spite of my doctor wanting to keep me on it.  I'm glad I did.  Personally, I think the health care system in the USA, and maybe rest of the world, is pretty bad.  It's mostly run by big pharma, big government, and big insurance companies.  So, it's about money.  Drug makers make so much money on these drugs, but people suffer as a result.  I'm proud of you for filing a complaint with the state DOH.    If enough of us did this, maybe something would improve.  

19 minutes ago, getofflex said:

Unfortunately, many of us had the same experience.  Medical people park us on these drugs, and leave us on them indefinitely.  I was kept on my Lexapro for 15 years, before I chose to start weaning off, in spite of my doctor wanting to keep me on it.  I'm glad I did.  Personally, I think the health care system in the USA, and maybe rest of the world, is pretty bad.  It's mostly run by big pharma, big government, and big insurance companies.  So, it's about money.  Drug makers make so much money on these drugs, but people suffer as a result.  I'm proud of you for filing a complaint with the state DOH.    If enough of us did this, maybe something would improve.  

Do you think it was as malicious as it seems in my case, or she just thought I was doing fine on them, so she didn't consider taking me off of it?

I feel so stupid staying on them for so long. I'm fine without them, but it might have left permanent problems for me because I was cajoled back on them for a short period of time by people around me, and I had to go back off them anyway because of the possible "kindling" effect. Now I have lesions in my brain, when I might have just felt fine if I forced myself to stay off Lexapro instead of getting desperate to see if it would stabilize me. I felt like I couldn't calm down at all.

I didn't choose this lady anyway, my parents did, and they were the ones who got me into this system in the first place, it's their fault, and they feel/felt no regrets at all about it.

What was your highest Lexapro dosage? Did your doctor help you wean off of them? Did you ever cold turkey them at one point? Did your doctor ever try to raise your dosage? I can't remember why my dosage was raised. Maybe I was really OCD/Anxiety ridden. I don't think my med manager would get paid more for a higher dosage, so who knows.

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

As for a health update, my fatigue is still virtually gone, but the memory loss, brain fog, numb emotions and libido, and nerve problems aren't getting better. I don't feel the same anymore cognitively, and my physical problems aren't improving much at all. Left side of my body has numbness/less sensitivity than the right side, especially in the genitals.

I'm worried I have PSSD now, as I used to have a very healthy libido, even while on 30mg of Lexapro, but now I just don't care, even when I try to force myself to.

I still get short periods of ear ringing every so often, and I'm not sure why.

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

Also wondering what people's thoughts are on this article, that says SSRIs damage neurons. https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyg.2012.00117/full

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

Feeling a lot of despair. Articles like the one I linked say SSRIs cause permanent problems, my MRI was abnormal and showed possible lesions, it's been over a year and I still don't know what happened, but all I know is I miss my brain before this happened. I wish I never went back on Lexapro.

I thought it was the responsible thing to do. I was having a bad panic attack, I recontacted the person who I saw for years, and could see me again quickly, and she tried putting me back on a med I previously had no problems with at a more normal dosage, something a lot of people do if they're feeling bad after quitting an SSRI, nothing I did here was really out of the ordinary, this forum even suggests doing that, albeit at a very low dosage.

Instead, 3 weeks in, I feel like I had a stroke, the APRN refuses to help me after these side effects happen, probably because they thought I'd sue them, even though it's extremely hard to do that anyway, and I've been left feeling permanently altered ever since. How could 10mg of Lexapro do that to me? It's 20mg less than what I took for 4 years. 2.5 months was enough to make it toxic to my brain, really? It's so baffling. 

I know there's success stories, but they also didn't follow the same path as me. These people were smarter and tried tapering off safely, I didn't do that. I went off 30mg of Lexapro cold turkey, then back on 10mg, then back off. I don't think many people have done that. I don't think I'm going to be who I was before this ever again. I don't think I'll ever truly know what caused this.

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

Hello @rilexapro! Your experience with Lexapro sounds a lot like mine. I made a 50% drop to try to stop and had a horrible response and when I tried to reinstate things got worse! The good news is I am, after 5 years, almost ready to jump to 0.0 off the Lexapro. Since then, I am slowly tapering, but it was like stopping cold turkey. I’m sorry you are having a hard time. I hope you feel better soon 😊

1991-2016 Zoloft, Klonopine, Wellbutrin added in 2000 2016 Lexapro, Klonopin, Wellbutrin 2016-2017 Effexor, Lamotrigine, Nortriptyline, Abilify, Cymbalta, Klonopin, Seroquel, Lexapro- slow taper 2016 2018-2021 Cymbalta 60 mg, Lexapro liquid 5ml/5mg (Apr 1, .26 ml/.26 mg) Klonopin 0.5 mg, Seroquel 20 mg. 4/1/21 added Magnesium and omega 3 oil. 9/21 Lexapro 0.15 mg. 10/20/21 Lex 0.14 mg. 8/9/22 Lex 0.15 ml/0.15 mg drop to 0.13 ml/0.13 mg; Klon 0.5 mg; Seroq 12.5 mg; Dulox 60 mg; Magnesium Chlor 1000 mg; Multi Vit; Omega Oil; probiotic. 10/2/22 Jumped off Lex at .018 mgs. 7/4/23 Seroq 0.55mgs (-0.5 1wk)

45 minutes ago, Freeby60 said:

Hello @rilexapro! Your experience with Lexapro sounds a lot like mine. I made a 50% drop to try to stop and had a horrible response and when I tried to reinstate things got worse! The good news is I am, after 5 years, almost ready to jump to 0.0 off the Lexapro. Since then, I am slowly tapering, but it was like stopping cold turkey. I’m sorry you are having a hard time. I hope you feel better soon 😊

I haven't been on Lexapro at all since last year. I'm still not sure if it was from Lexapro, or I caught something. I feel a lot of regret about how I went about things.

Thank you for the well wishes. I hope you're doing better as well. What were your symptoms when you had a bad reaction?

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

1 minute ago, rilexapro said:

I feel a lot of regret about how I went about things.

It is hard not to feel that way, I have too. I think, If I’d been able to stick it out five years ago things would look very different. Yet, I am still so happy to be here on SA and getting off the drugs as safely as possible now. 

3 minutes ago, rilexapro said:

What were your symptoms when you had a bad reaction?

If I recall correctly I dropped from 20 mgs to 10 mgs and within a matter of days I felt panic level anxiety at the start of every day that wouldn’t ease until the evening, I had paresthesia - numbing and tingling waves up and down my arms and legs. I was in constant need to hold it together and function at work but had subpar performance. The rest of my story is textbook “don’t do what I did,” which I will spare you. 

Sometimes I feel like I’ll never be free, but I am back trying again to do it the safe way. 

Glad you’re here 😀

1991-2016 Zoloft, Klonopine, Wellbutrin added in 2000 2016 Lexapro, Klonopin, Wellbutrin 2016-2017 Effexor, Lamotrigine, Nortriptyline, Abilify, Cymbalta, Klonopin, Seroquel, Lexapro- slow taper 2016 2018-2021 Cymbalta 60 mg, Lexapro liquid 5ml/5mg (Apr 1, .26 ml/.26 mg) Klonopin 0.5 mg, Seroquel 20 mg. 4/1/21 added Magnesium and omega 3 oil. 9/21 Lexapro 0.15 mg. 10/20/21 Lex 0.14 mg. 8/9/22 Lex 0.15 ml/0.15 mg drop to 0.13 ml/0.13 mg; Klon 0.5 mg; Seroq 12.5 mg; Dulox 60 mg; Magnesium Chlor 1000 mg; Multi Vit; Omega Oil; probiotic. 10/2/22 Jumped off Lex at .018 mgs. 7/4/23 Seroq 0.55mgs (-0.5 1wk)

Slept better today with no fatigue/flu like feeling when getting up. I still have a problem remembering dreams after I've had them for the most part, not sure why that happens now, didn't before this.

What is the reason memory loss happens with possible "kindling" from Lexapro? That part always seemed to be odd, because most people who have withdrawal from Lexapro don't have memory loss. That's why I think I probably caught COVID, which can be very bad neurologically for people. I am overweight, and my immune system was probably compromised due to severe stress, so COVID might have harmed me more than it would have with somebody with a more normal BMI.

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

• Moderator Emeritus
15 hours ago, rilexapro said:

Feeling a lot of despair. Articles like the one I linked say SSRIs cause permanent problems, my MRI was abnormal and showed possible lesions, it's been over a year and I still don't know what happened, but all I know is I miss my brain before this happened. I wish I never went back on Lexapro.

Not everything on the internet is necessarily true.  There is lots of bad info on the internet.  I don't know if your MRI results are caused by Lexapro, or not.  Check out Baylissa's website, and listen to her - she is very reassuring.  If it were me, I would avoid reading pessimistic reports about SSRI's.  I was on Lexapro for 15 years before weaning off, and I feel much better now than I did when I started getting off in 2017, and I'm 60 years old.  

she tried putting me back on a med I previously had no problems with at a more normal dosage,

Its not uncommon for people to have a reaction to a drug that previously caused them no problems.  I believe this is due to the nervous system being sensitized to going on, off, and then back on the drug.  However, healing is still possible, although it will take time.  It can take months to years.  You did a CT, and this can take years to recover from.  I say this not in judgment, but to try to reassure you that eventually, this will get better. 

I went off 30mg of Lexapro cold turkey, then back on 10mg, then back off. I don't think many people have done that

I've seen people do much worse things with their drugs.  

Read this story - Shep was drugged on some heavy stuff, and is now recovered: 

Shep's Success: Leaving Plato's Cave

Slept better today with no fatigue/flu like feeling when getting up

I'm glad to hear you are feeling better today.  🙂

What is the reason memory loss happens with possible "kindling" from Lexapro? That part always seemed to be odd, because most people who have withdrawal from Lexapro don't have memory loss.

I've had memory loss both on the Lexapro, and in withdrawal, too.  It has gotten some better, and I hope it gets better still.  I believe memory issues are part of WD: 

Brain Fog, Memory Issues, etc.

Hang in there, Ri. Some day this will be a thing of the past, as long as you take proper care of yourself and stay away from these drugs.  

Like I said, I don't think she did anything truly reckless, a PCP or another person who could prescribe psych meds probably would have done the exact same thing, if I told them Lexapro worked before. It was her careless and cold attitude once I had possible side effects that I'm upset about. I think it was bad enough that the DOH will take a look at her, as she should have most likely referred me to somebody locally when she left this state. She could have also required me to see a PCP/Therapist, before putting me back on the medication, but she probably thought she could continue making money off of me without any problems, which is why she was quick to drop me, once possible problems related to her service occurred. 

I'm still not fully convinced that all of my problems are from Lexapro. CT'ing SSRIs is risky, but I had no withdrawal problems, really. I guess all I can do is still see doctors and see what they think. At least I'm on state Medicaid, and it's not costing me an arm and a leg for this.

As for my memory, sometimes it's really quick and good, but today I just couldn't remember names for a while. Really awful and depressing when it happens. My recall memory is awful for some reason.

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

A good question to ask is has hypoxia ever been associated with SSRIs/Anti-depressants? I had a few instances where my lips were pale and lost their color. I think dopamine might be more related to that, but serotonin I'm not sure.

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

Something I never connected to Lexapro is my horrible eyesight in my left eye. It's 20/400 vision, and I was diagnosed with keratoconus. I'm probably going to have to have eye surgery. Can Lexapro do that? It felt like it happened overnight a few years ago.

I don't wake up with fatigue anymore, but I wake up nervous and scared. I think about how I had my father call 911 on me more than once, for having a anxiety-ridden breakdown. He was really awful. He tries to apologize for it, but he won't have to live with this for the rest of his life, like I will. I think about my mom passing away 3 months after that, as well.

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

• Moderator Emeritus
4 hours ago, rilexapro said:

Something I never connected to Lexapro is my horrible eyesight in my left eye. It's 20/400 vision, and I was diagnosed with keratoconus. I'm probably going to have to have eye surgery. Can Lexapro do that? It felt like it happened overnight a few years ago.

There are ways you can easily search this website for answers to your questions.  This thread explains how: 

How to do a Site Search on SA

4 hours ago, rilexapro said:

he won't have to live with this for the rest of his life, like I will.

If what you are dealing with is withdrawal from psych meds, you won't have to live with it for the rest of your life, as long as you take proper care of yourself.  It takes a long time for the nervous system to sort itself out, as in months to years, but it will improve gradually (in fits and starts). Hang in there.   

1 hour ago, getofflex said:

If what you are dealing with is withdrawal from psych meds, you won't have to live with it for the rest of your life, as long as you take proper care of yourself.  It takes a long time for the nervous system to sort itself out, as in months to years, but it will improve gradually (in fits and starts). Hang in there.   

I meant more the bad memories and humiliation of it happening, not the health related problems.

As for my eye problems, I searched "keratoconus" and "Lexapro" and nothing came up. I had mild CSF buildup in my optic nerve, that might be the reason, I'm not sure Lexapro would cause that or intracranial hypertension. 

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

I should also mention that while I was in a mental hospital in 2012, they put me on Risperdal. I was on a low dosage from what I remember, and taken off of it soon after. I don't believe it caused me any permanent problems, but how would I know that for sure? I don't think it did, but the fact I was put on a medication that wasn't the correct one for my issue, which is Anxiety/OCD, not Bipolar/Schizophrenia, seems like malpractice. They probably would have kept me there longer if I didn't take it.

Is that protocol to give that medication like that?

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

• Moderator Emeritus

Please add the Risperdal to your drug signature with the date thank you.

Woke up fatigued again, but it goes away.

A symptom that seems to have started in the past 4 or 5 months, and isn't going away for me, is slight muscle/facial twitching every so often throughout the day. Some days are better than others. It's mainly in my arms, legs, hands, and face. 

I'm concerned it's Tardive Dyskinesia, or something similar to that. Is that an incorrect assumption? Can SSRIs cause that? How can I fix this? Would it be more severe if it was TD? I've read TD can be permanent, so I'm concerned. 

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

There are times where I almost feel like myself again. I guess that's a good thing. My memory is still slow, it's like the equivalent of an old mechanical hard drive in a computer, eventually I remember the name of something, but it takes a while. Some things I remember better than others.

My fatigue only happens when I wake up now, which is strange. My thoughts can be very vivid and back to normal at time and then sometimes it feels like I can't think.

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

• Moderator Emeritus
On 12/26/2021 at 2:54 PM, rilexapro said:

I should also mention that while I was in a mental hospital in 2012, they put me on Risperdal.

On 12/26/2021 at 2:54 PM, rilexapro said:

Is that protocol to give that medication like that?

Unfortunately, many doctors are now adding antipsychotic drugs to people with depression when the antidepressant doesn't help much with the depression.  I believe it is very irresponsible and wrong, as do many others on this site.  

On 12/28/2021 at 12:36 PM, rilexapro said:

A symptom that seems to have started in the past 4 or 5 months, and isn't going away for me, is slight muscle/facial twitching every so often throughout the day. Some days are better than others. It's mainly in my arms, legs, hands, and face. 

I'm concerned it's Tardive Dyskinesia, or something similar to that. Is that an incorrect assumption? Can SSRIs cause that? How can I fix this? Would it be more severe if it was TD? I've read TD can be permanent, so I'm concerned. 

Antidepressants do not cause tardive dyskenisa.  Please use the site search to research these issues for yourself.  Or you can research it using an internet search engine.  

There are many symptoms that are caused by psych drugs, and withdrawal from psych drugs.  99% of them do go away eventually, but it can often take years.  

Edited by getofflex

2 hours ago, getofflex said:

Unfortunately, many doctors are now adding antipsychotic drugs to people with depression when the antidepressant doesn't help much with the depression.  I believe it is very irresponsible and wrong, as do many others on this site.  

Antidepressants do not cause tardive dyskenisa.  Please use the site search to research these issues for yourself.  Or you can research it using an internet search engine.  

There are many symptoms that are caused by psych drugs, and withdrawal from psych drugs.  99% of them do go away eventually, but it can often take years.  

Thankfully, I don't think the Risperdal caused any long term problems. This was a long time ago, and I felt fine for years after that, libido, mental capacity, joints/nerves, everything felt fine, so that's a very good thing. Some people get permanent problems from medications like Risperdal, even at low dosages. I wasn't on it for too long, was on it at a low dosage, and I went off it safely and tapered, unlike with the Lexapro.

My partially empty sella turcica is related to the pituitary gland, which from what I know Risperdal can effect (Lexapro possibly can too, but I can't remember), but my sella turcica could also be like that due to my weight. Empty sella syndrome usually doesn't cause any problems to the person affected, but maybe it's a sign of something else. 

I think they used the Risperdal as a sedative, because to be fair, I was basically a wreck emotionally, but using it on people who do not have problems that need an antipsychotic is very irresponsible.

As for my fatigue, it slightly comes back sometimes during the day, but for the most part, I'd say I feel 50 percent better than I did even a month ago. This very well could have been both Lexapro withdrawal and a bad case of COVID. I should also mention my libido is improving a very small percentage, which makes me happy. I was worried that it wouldn't.

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

What is the scientific reason that Lexapro causes Paresthesia? I've had weird feeling in my body all year, as I've mentioned already. What is it in Lexapro that causes that, and why was it so severe for me? 

It's a bit concerning, because it's been about 14 months, and the facial, neck, and genital nerve issues never really go away fully, it just varies from day to day. 

I don't know if Lexapro was the cause of this, but it might have been.

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

Who am I kidding, if it was COVID my parents would have tested positive, or I would have had symptoms more like COVID. I ruined my life by letting people force me back on a drug I quit in the first place because it had stopped working and I didn't want to deal with an uncaring med manager. I let people I trust damage me. The person who poisoned me will get away with it forever while I've been suffering for a year. No license loss, no financial restitution, nothing. They drop me as a client, insult me, and moved right on, after 6 years.

It's too perfect, the medication was building up in my body and caused some sort of reaction 3 weeks in. If it was COVID, it would have probably felt a lot different. The persisting issues is just bad luck, something I've always had in my life.

My parents ruined my life the moment they put me on this poison as a kid. The memory loss is permanent, I've lost childhood memories than I can't remember anymore that I used to. It's not coming back.

I've read actual addicts say going off street drugs is easier and leaves less damage than psych meds. I should have used other things to cope instead of these evil pills.

I had lesions in my brain. Something very bad happened to me last year, and my parents downplayed it and said it was in my head. Thanks to them now there actually is; permanent damage. Hope they're happy.

The muscle twitching, although slight, hasn't gone away. I don't know what causes that at all.

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020