SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Bandicoot88

bandicoot88

Hi everyone,

my name is Tony. Currently living in London, Uk. 
I am 33 years old and I started taking Paroxetine when I was 21. It all started with panic attacks I couldn’t control. 

It has been six weeks since I took my last dose and I must admit, I am not finding it easy. The last few days have been challenging. I find myself having dark thoughts - something that I had never had before. 

My anxiety is creeping in and I am finding normal situations - such as having a meal in a restaurant- very difficult. 

I hope I get better. 

Paxil 2009 -July 2021

14 hours ago, bandicoot88 said:

Hi everyone,

my name is Tony. Currently living in London, Uk. 
I am 33 years old and I started taking Paroxetine when I was 21. It all started with panic attacks I couldn’t control. 

It has been six weeks since I took my last dose and I must admit, I am not finding it easy. The last few days have been challenging. I find myself having dark thoughts - something that I had never had before. 

My anxiety is creeping in and I am finding normal situations - such as having a meal in a restaurant- very difficult. 

I hope I get better. 

Hi Tony, 

welcome to SA and sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. Paroxetine is one of the hardest drugs to come off and these sound like withdrawal symptoms. There appears to be a pattern to withdrawal symptoms and it helps to know what to expect. 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

There are a few things that you can do to help alleviate some of your symptoms. 

1. You can try to reinstate a small dosage of your drug - 1 mg or so. Sometimes it helps make things better. Once you stabilize, you can then start tapering at a very slow pace to minimize withdrawal symptoms. I personally did this and it was helpful. It didn't eliminate all WD symptoms but took away the akathisia. 

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

Important topics in the Tapering forum and FAQ - Tapering - Surviving Antidepressants

2. You can also work on managing your anxiety with non-drug techniques. 

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

Many people have found this method helps especially in dealing with anxiety 

The Dr. Claire Weekes Method of Recovering from a Sensitized Nervous System - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

Can you let us know your drug history so we can advise you better? 

How to List Drug History in Signature - Introductions and updates - Surviving Antidepressants

What are your current symptoms? What are you trying to eliminate them? What is helping? 

Hoping you find some respite soon, 

OMW

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate