June 2021: Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome Linked to Membrane Lipid Raft Signaling

Bruci

https://www.genengnews.com/news/antidepressant-withdrawal-syndrome-linked-to-membrane-lipid-raft-signaling/

Link to paper in article.

1980s: First diagnosed with depression. Treated with a tricyclic. 1988: Switched to Prozac 20 mg.  1990s to 2010: On and off Prozac. Increased dose led to side effects. 2011: Put on Zyprexa. 2011: Work burnout and breakdown. Hospitalized for suicidal depression. Switched to Seroquel. Switched to Celexa 40 mg and lithium 300 mg. 2019: Stopped Seroquel. 

2020 July: Decreased Celexa to 30 mg in attempt to alleviate sexual dysfunction. Worked somewhat.

2020 August: Decreased Celexa to 20 mg. Sexual function improved but w/d effects started. 

2020 September: Maintaining Celexa at 20 mg. Experiencing w/d effects - fatigue, dysphoria, mood instability

2020 September 13: Increased Celexa to 30 mg due to w/d effects. Still on lithium 300 mg/day.

2020 October 3: Reduced Celexa to 27 mg. Started taper. 10% per month as recommended.

2020 October 18: Reduced to 24 mg.

2020 December 4: Reduced to 21 mg.

2020 December 23: Reduced to 20 mg (spacing out taper intervals due to persistent w/d effects)

2021 September 23: Several reductions over the past 9 months to 7.0 mg. Stressful life circumstances led me to feeling very depressed with suicidal feelings, so upped to the dose to 10 mg until I feel better. 

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.genengnews.com/news/antidepressant-withdrawal-syndrome-linked-to-membrane-lipid-raft-signaling/

It's a kind of sad when someone like me struggles a lot after years of withdrawal and now they admit that the changes made are kind of persistent,I hope that doesn't mean recovery is just a coincidence

I allready have a low motivational level.

Started Venlafaxine around  2007-2008  for around 4,5-5 years 70mg

ca .2012  Taper as doctors advise 2 weeks skip a day and stop

7 -8 later months total breakdown after sruggling a lot Hospitalized

and started on Cipralex.

Taper as doctors advise: Mai 2018  from 20 to 10 mg escitalopram to zero in one Month.

supplements

Magnesium citrate 600 mg

Omega 3  2000 mg

vitamin D3 sometimes

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi @miomioIt's hard to keep the motivation going, I sure do know.  It still seems likely that you will heal, and that with patience, time is your best healer (and mine as well), hard as it is. 

This study interests me because they're finally addressing our issues with these drugs.  Also, the suggestion made here at SA to try fish oil in our diets, I think may be supported by this study.  You have access to some of the best EPA fish oil in the world!

I send you my best wishes for recovery--as we go through this unspeakable time🙏

Arbor

Zoloft: 1995 - 2015

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

Enalapril: 2010 - 2019

Lipitor: 2017 -2017

Metformin: 2000 - 2020

Liothyronine: 2007 - 2019

Levothyroxine: 2000 - 2022

On 9/8/2021 at 8:45 AM, miomio said:

It's a kind of sad when someone like me struggles a lot after years of withdrawal and now they admit that the changes made are kind of persistent,I hope that doesn't mean recovery is just a coincidence

I allready have a low motivational level.

Although I don’t have access to full PDF of this paper, based on just its abstract i wouldn’t worry about it that much. First of all, the experiments were done in vitro (a cellular model set up outside the body) so ur not sure if this is really reflecting what happens to the actual human brain and secondly the authors mention “after 24hrs” in regards to changes remaining after antidepressant removal. It’s not like they did months or at least weeks to see if the changes persist long time. At least that’s my opinion as a neuroscientist who has worked years and years in experimental science and published several scientific papers. 
have u seen any improvements in ur symptoms lately?

Aug. 16-17, 2020, cipralex: went CRAZY! Recovered in 24hrs

Aug.28,2020; 3.5 weeks 25mg sertraline/4.5 weeks taper

Oct. 25: Last dose (4mg)

Symptoms while on zoloft

DPDR/out of my body/soul despair/feeling dead; tinnitus/no appetite; fear, anxiety/panics

4 months OFF: soul despair, anxiety/fear, brain disconnection/ DPDR, brain feels swollen-numb/crazy/bedridden barely functioning, tinnitus, eye lid twitches; face spasms. Feeling slightly better after 10pm.

- sleep & appetite are fine

9 months OFF: hell, no windows, same symptoms as above  (only eye and face twitches have stopped) plus intense arm/shoulder pain and visual issues. Tinnitus replaced by head buzzing. 

10 months-1 year: all above plus Insomnia (out of nowhere), depression, no peace of mind (mental Akathisia); 2.5mg melatonin

14months off: sleep resumed. All rest symptoms remain. Bedridden vegetable all day. DP is relentless. 

1.5 years off: still severely disabled, not much changed except some improvement in vision.

Thanks both of u for the replay. Im am 3 years in withdrawal now, i am much better Physical but still have issues with low energie, fast heartbeat some times vision trouble, feelings i forehead, tinitus often, some time nervpain in the feets and clearly mental issues overthinking stuff and no positiv emotions, funny the anger works. 

Started Venlafaxine around  2007-2008  for around 4,5-5 years 70mg

ca .2012  Taper as doctors advise 2 weeks skip a day and stop

7 -8 later months total breakdown after sruggling a lot Hospitalized

and started on Cipralex.

Taper as doctors advise: Mai 2018  from 20 to 10 mg escitalopram to zero in one Month.

supplements

Magnesium citrate 600 mg

Omega 3  2000 mg

vitamin D3 sometimes

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Moved this because new topics in the Journals forum are only for citation of scientific articles, not articles about scientific papers. See

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy