conducked: Wanting to get off Pristiq

conducked

Hey everyone sorry if I don't post this correctly I am new to the site but I have lurked around a bit, I have been taking Pristiq 50mg for around 5 years now and I would like to get off of them I've been searching to get off them a year after taking them and got a bit scared with the withdrawals that happen and I've finally got the courage to try now, with all the research I have done and posts I have seen others make here I have chosen to look into going to a compound chemist and seeing if they will help me lower the dose and go that way if anyone can recommend any tips and tricks or ways they got off Pristiq be sure to let me know! I have missed tablets in the past (forgot to take them) and I felt terrible the day of not taking them so I think if I remember correctly 20% off the size I'm on now and do that for a month then go down again, I couldn't quite work out how to work out the measurements when cutting them that was posted but I don't think I should go that route as I don't like the risk of  withdrawals that come with cutting them, I'm also from Australia thanks for taking the time to read this!

5 years Pristiq 50mg

• Administrator

Hi, Conducked.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.

Here is some information on withdrawal to get you started: 

Tips for tapering off desvenlafaxine (Pristiq)

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain

Healing from antidepressants. Patterns of recovery video (4 minutes)

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

More information (and an example of a signature) is here - How to List Drug History in Signature

As you provide more information, we can better guide you in setting up your taper.

Drug free May 22, 2015 after 30 years of neuroleptics, benzos, z-drugs, so-called "anti"-depressants, and amphetamines 

My Success Story:  Shep's Success: "Leaving Plato's Cave"

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good — need we ask anyone to tell us these things? ~ Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Administrator

Welcome, @conducked

Have you ever taken Effexor (venlafaxine)? If yes, what effect did it have on you?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 4 months later...
On 8/13/2021 at 7:28 AM, Altostrata said:

Welcome, @conducked

Have you ever taken Effexor (venlafaxine)? If yes, what effect did it have on you?

Hey sorry for the late reply I've been having a lot of stuff happen in life, no this was the first drug I was put on, I use to smoke marijuana when I was first put on it and now unfortunately I've been on these tablets for 5 years and I believe it is time to come off them (since I'm 25 I'd like to let my body heal a bit from whatever damage has been done over the past 5 years from these tablets) I have been looking at a few compound pharmacies near me and I believe the best route would be that way to taper off them

5 years Pristiq 50mg

• ChessieCat changed the title to conducked: Wanting to get off Pristiq
  • Moderator Emeritus

I tapered off Pristiq by getting the tablets compounded.

Oh you are in Australia too.  Unfortunately the TGA has not approved the 25mg dose of Pristiq which is a really nuisance.

However, something that you might find helpful which I did not discover until near the end of my taper, is that you can empty the contents of a compounded capsule into water and make your own liquid.  This means that you could take the majority of your dose in capsule and take the rest in liquid instead of being limited to capsule doses.

The lowest dose my compounder would make was 0.125mg because the time it would have taken made the cost for making lower doses too expensive.

I have posted in the Tips for Tapering Topic and in my Introduction topic how I made the liquid.  You have to make it at least 1 to 2 hours before you need it because you need to let the froth settle and then only stir gently.

Another thing that I did not realise until near the end of my taper is that I should have been taking my dose 2 x a day.  The pure drug desvenlafaxine has a half life of about 11 hours if I remember correctly.  I did have extended release formula added but that would not have extended to 24 hours.

Another tip, make sure you get quotes from different compounders because the prices can very a lot.  I think one chemist wanted $90 for 100 capsules.  My compounder charged $15 for 100 capsules for the whole of my taper so long as I did a bulk order but he did tell me that he was charging me a very small amount so I doubt that you will get the same price but it does give you a bit of a guide.  I think I was getting between 400 and 600 capsules at a time.

Oh and he told me that they have to put the use within 6 months label on them, but he said that it doesn't matter.  I used mine for a long time after the 6 months and didn't have any problems.

Good luck.  It's going to take time so be patient.  It's better to do it slowly and get off as comfortably as possible than to go to fast.  Listen to your body/symptoms, don't reduce again if you have symptoms and if there are added stressors or sickness or holidays etc, then hold.  It is better to hold for longer.    Some members have tried to go faster than their brain will let them and it has ended up taking longer than if they had following SA's tapering rate. 

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:    (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq      on 13th November 2021

Woohoo!!!  Finally off Pristiq    Post 0 updates start here

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

My full tapering program     My Intro (goes to my tapering graph)    My website

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions.  Please DO NOT TAG me - thank you.

• Administrator

Hello, @conducked Getting compounded doses is one option for tapering Pristiq. The tablets themselves cannot be made into a liquid because they contain a glue. Please read Tips for tapering off desvenlafaxine (Pristiq) and let us know if you have any questions.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

5 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Hello, @conducked Getting compounded doses is one option for tapering Pristiq. The tablets themselves cannot be made into a liquid because they contain a glue. Please read Tips for tapering off desvenlafaxine (Pristiq) and let us know if you have any questions.

cheers! I didn't know they can compound things into liquid, I'd feel more comfy taking a tablet any who so i don't dose wrong xD

5 years Pristiq 50mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Just to clarify:

Normal Pristiq tablets (what you receive in the box in the blister pack when you get a prescription filled) cannot be made into a liquid.

Compounding chemists can make the normal Pristiq tablets into both capsules and liquid.

The contents of a capsule which was made by the compounding pharmacist from the tablets can be made into a liquid.

I hope that makes sense so you know what your options are.

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:    (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq      on 13th November 2021

Woohoo!!!  Finally off Pristiq    Post 0 updates start here

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

My full tapering program     My Intro (goes to my tapering graph)    My website

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions.  Please DO NOT TAG me - thank you.

• Administrator

No, no one can make Pristiq tablets, which contain glue and fillers, into a liquid. Compounding pharmacies may be able to make the raw ingredient desvenlafaxine into a liquid.

23 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

I tapered off Pristiq by getting the tablets compounded.

Oh you are in Australia too.  Unfortunately the TGA has not approved the 25mg dose of Pristiq which is a really nuisance.

However, something that you might find helpful which I did not discover until near the end of my taper, is that you can empty the contents of a compounded capsule into water and make your own liquid.  This means that you could take the majority of your dose in capsule and take the rest in liquid instead of being limited to capsule doses.

The lowest dose my compounder would make was 0.125mg because the time it would have taken made the cost for making lower doses too expensive.

I have posted in the Tips for Tapering Topic and in my Introduction topic how I made the liquid.  You have to make it at least 1 to 2 hours before you need it because you need to let the froth settle and then only stir gently.

Another thing that I did not realise until near the end of my taper is that I should have been taking my dose 2 x a day.  The pure drug desvenlafaxine has a half life of about 11 hours if I remember correctly.  I did have extended release formula added but that would not have extended to 24 hours.

Another tip, make sure you get quotes from different compounders because the prices can very a lot.  I think one chemist wanted $90 for 100 capsules.  My compounder charged $15 for 100 capsules for the whole of my taper so long as I did a bulk order but he did tell me that he was charging me a very small amount so I doubt that you will get the same price but it does give you a bit of a guide.  I think I was getting between 400 and 600 capsules at a time.

Oh and he told me that they have to put the use within 6 months label on them, but he said that it doesn't matter.  I used mine for a long time after the 6 months and didn't have any problems.

Good luck.  It's going to take time so be patient.  It's better to do it slowly and get off as comfortably as possible than to go to fast.  Listen to your body/symptoms, don't reduce again if you have symptoms and if there are added stressors or sickness or holidays etc, then hold.  It is better to hold for longer.    Some members have tried to go faster than their brain will let them and it has ended up taking longer than if they had following SA's tapering rate. 

thanks for all the tips! I feel more comfy taking tablets then making it into a liquid so I think I'll stay that way lol, I was talking to one compound pharmacy who said it would cost me $80 per script but they did say that it did have the slow release in it also but from what you are saying it still only lasts around 11hours? So does that mean technically I should take for example 45mg twice a day 12 hours apart? or should I have a chat with them because I did say about it meant to being released slowly over 24 hours and they did say yes it'll be slow release over 24 hours?

5 years Pristiq 50mg

• Administrator

If you divide the Pristiq tablets in any way, the doses become immediate-release with a short half-life. You might need to take 1/2 dose twice a day. This is explained in Tips for tapering off desvenlafaxine (Pristiq)

Venlafaxine (Effexor) is the sibling of desvenlafaxine (Pristiq), and is usually less expensive. You may wish to substitute venlafaxine XR and count beads to taper, or make a liquid from immediate-release venlafaxine, which you'd also have to take twice a day. See Tips for tapering off venlafaxine (Effexor)