SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

conducked: wanting to get off Pristiq

conducked

Hey everyone sorry if I don't post this correctly I am new to the site but I have lurked around a bit, I have been taking Pristiq 50mg for around 5 years now and I would like to get off of them I've been searching to get off them a year after taking them and got a bit scared with the withdrawals that happen and I've finally got the courage to try now, with all the research I have done and posts I have seen others make here I have chosen to look into going to a compound chemist and seeing if they will help me lower the dose and go that way if anyone can recommend any tips and tricks or ways they got off Pristiq be sure to let me know! I have missed tablets in the past (forgot to take them) and I felt terrible the day of not taking them so I think if I remember correctly 20% off the size I'm on now and do that for a month then go down again, I couldn't quite work out how to work out the measurements when cutting them that was posted but I don't think I should go that route as I don't like the risk of  withdrawals that come with cutting them, I'm also from Australia thanks for taking the time to read this!

7 years Pristiq 50mg

1 month pristiq 45mg

1 month pristiq 40mg

1 month pristiq 35mg

1 month pristiq 30mg

1 month pristiq 25mg

1 month pristiq 20mg

2 month pristiq 15mg

1 month pristiq 10mg

1 month pristiq 5mg

Currently taking 2.5 mg for 3rd month

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Conducked.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.

Here is some information on withdrawal to get you started: 

Tips for tapering off desvenlafaxine (Pristiq)

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain

Healing from antidepressants. Patterns of recovery video (4 minutes)

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

More information (and an example of a signature) is here - How to List Drug History in Signature

As you provide more information, we can better guide you in setting up your taper.

• Administrator

Welcome, @conducked

Have you ever taken Effexor (venlafaxine)? If yes, what effect did it have on you?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 4 months later...
On 8/13/2021 at 7:28 AM, Altostrata said:

Welcome, @conducked

Have you ever taken Effexor (venlafaxine)? If yes, what effect did it have on you?

Hey sorry for the late reply I've been having a lot of stuff happen in life, no this was the first drug I was put on, I use to smoke marijuana when I was first put on it and now unfortunately I've been on these tablets for 5 years and I believe it is time to come off them (since I'm 25 I'd like to let my body heal a bit from whatever damage has been done over the past 5 years from these tablets) I have been looking at a few compound pharmacies near me and I believe the best route would be that way to taper off them

7 years Pristiq 50mg

1 month pristiq 45mg

1 month pristiq 40mg

1 month pristiq 35mg

1 month pristiq 30mg

1 month pristiq 25mg

1 month pristiq 20mg

2 month pristiq 15mg

1 month pristiq 10mg

1 month pristiq 5mg

• ChessieCat changed the title to conducked: Wanting to get off Pristiq
  • Moderator Emeritus

I tapered off Pristiq by getting the tablets compounded.

Oh you are in Australia too.  Unfortunately the TGA has not approved the 25mg dose of Pristiq which is a really nuisance.

However, something that you might find helpful which I did not discover until near the end of my taper, is that you can empty the contents of a compounded capsule into water and make your own liquid.  This means that you could take the majority of your dose in capsule and take the rest in liquid instead of being limited to capsule doses.

The lowest dose my compounder would make was 0.125mg because the time it would have taken made the cost for making lower doses too expensive.

I have posted in the Tips for Tapering Topic and in my Introduction topic how I made the liquid.  You have to make it at least 1 to 2 hours before you need it because you need to let the froth settle and then only stir gently.

Another thing that I did not realise until near the end of my taper is that I should have been taking my dose 2 x a day.  The pure drug desvenlafaxine has a half life of about 11 hours if I remember correctly.  I did have extended release formula added but that would not have extended to 24 hours.

Another tip, make sure you get quotes from different compounders because the prices can very a lot.  I think one chemist wanted $90 for 100 capsules.  My compounder charged $15 for 100 capsules for the whole of my taper so long as I did a bulk order but he did tell me that he was charging me a very small amount so I doubt that you will get the same price but it does give you a bit of a guide.  I think I was getting between 400 and 600 capsules at a time.

Oh and he told me that they have to put the use within 6 months label on them, but he said that it doesn't matter.  I used mine for a long time after the 6 months and didn't have any problems.

Good luck.  It's going to take time so be patient.  It's better to do it slowly and get off as comfortably as possible than to go to fast.  Listen to your body/symptoms, don't reduce again if you have symptoms and if there are added stressors or sickness or holidays etc, then hold.  It is better to hold for longer.    Some members have tried to go faster than their brain will let them and it has ended up taking longer than if they had following SA's tapering rate. 

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

Hello, @conducked Getting compounded doses is one option for tapering Pristiq. The tablets themselves cannot be made into a liquid because they contain a glue. Please read Tips for tapering off desvenlafaxine (Pristiq) and let us know if you have any questions.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

5 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Hello, @conducked Getting compounded doses is one option for tapering Pristiq. The tablets themselves cannot be made into a liquid because they contain a glue. Please read Tips for tapering off desvenlafaxine (Pristiq) and let us know if you have any questions.

cheers! I didn't know they can compound things into liquid, I'd feel more comfy taking a tablet any who so i don't dose wrong xD

7 years Pristiq 50mg

1 month pristiq 45mg

1 month pristiq 40mg

1 month pristiq 35mg

1 month pristiq 30mg

1 month pristiq 25mg

1 month pristiq 20mg

2 month pristiq 15mg

1 month pristiq 10mg

1 month pristiq 5mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Just to clarify:

Normal Pristiq tablets (what you receive in the box in the blister pack when you get a prescription filled) cannot be made into a liquid.

Compounding chemists can make the normal Pristiq tablets into both capsules and liquid.

The contents of a capsule which was made by the compounding pharmacist from the tablets can be made into a liquid.

I hope that makes sense so you know what your options are.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Administrator

No, no one can make Pristiq tablets, which contain glue and fillers, into a liquid. Compounding pharmacies may be able to make the raw ingredient desvenlafaxine into a liquid.

23 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

I tapered off Pristiq by getting the tablets compounded.

Oh you are in Australia too.  Unfortunately the TGA has not approved the 25mg dose of Pristiq which is a really nuisance.

However, something that you might find helpful which I did not discover until near the end of my taper, is that you can empty the contents of a compounded capsule into water and make your own liquid.  This means that you could take the majority of your dose in capsule and take the rest in liquid instead of being limited to capsule doses.

The lowest dose my compounder would make was 0.125mg because the time it would have taken made the cost for making lower doses too expensive.

I have posted in the Tips for Tapering Topic and in my Introduction topic how I made the liquid.  You have to make it at least 1 to 2 hours before you need it because you need to let the froth settle and then only stir gently.

Another thing that I did not realise until near the end of my taper is that I should have been taking my dose 2 x a day.  The pure drug desvenlafaxine has a half life of about 11 hours if I remember correctly.  I did have extended release formula added but that would not have extended to 24 hours.

Another tip, make sure you get quotes from different compounders because the prices can very a lot.  I think one chemist wanted $90 for 100 capsules.  My compounder charged $15 for 100 capsules for the whole of my taper so long as I did a bulk order but he did tell me that he was charging me a very small amount so I doubt that you will get the same price but it does give you a bit of a guide.  I think I was getting between 400 and 600 capsules at a time.

Oh and he told me that they have to put the use within 6 months label on them, but he said that it doesn't matter.  I used mine for a long time after the 6 months and didn't have any problems.

Good luck.  It's going to take time so be patient.  It's better to do it slowly and get off as comfortably as possible than to go to fast.  Listen to your body/symptoms, don't reduce again if you have symptoms and if there are added stressors or sickness or holidays etc, then hold.  It is better to hold for longer.    Some members have tried to go faster than their brain will let them and it has ended up taking longer than if they had following SA's tapering rate. 

thanks for all the tips! I feel more comfy taking tablets then making it into a liquid so I think I'll stay that way lol, I was talking to one compound pharmacy who said it would cost me $80 per script but they did say that it did have the slow release in it also but from what you are saying it still only lasts around 11hours? So does that mean technically I should take for example 45mg twice a day 12 hours apart? or should I have a chat with them because I did say about it meant to being released slowly over 24 hours and they did say yes it'll be slow release over 24 hours?

7 years Pristiq 50mg

1 month pristiq 45mg

1 month pristiq 40mg

1 month pristiq 35mg

1 month pristiq 30mg

1 month pristiq 25mg

1 month pristiq 20mg

2 month pristiq 15mg

1 month pristiq 10mg

1 month pristiq 5mg

• Administrator

If you divide the Pristiq tablets in any way, the doses become immediate-release with a short half-life. You might need to take 1/2 dose twice a day. This is explained in Tips for tapering off desvenlafaxine (Pristiq)

Venlafaxine (Effexor) is the sibling of desvenlafaxine (Pristiq), and is usually less expensive. You may wish to substitute venlafaxine XR and count beads to taper, or make a liquid from immediate-release venlafaxine, which you'd also have to take twice a day. See Tips for tapering off venlafaxine (Effexor)

• 9 months later...
On 1/4/2022 at 4:10 AM, Altostrata said:

If you divide the Pristiq tablets in any way, the doses become immediate-release with a short half-life. You might need to take 1/2 dose twice a day. This is explained in Tips for tapering off desvenlafaxine (Pristiq)

Venlafaxine (Effexor) is the sibling of desvenlafaxine (Pristiq), and is usually less expensive. You may wish to substitute venlafaxine XR and count beads to taper, or make a liquid from immediate-release venlafaxine, which you'd also have to take twice a day. See Tips for tapering off venlafaxine (Effexor)

After putting it off and off I have finally went to a compound pharmacy and gotten 45mg dose of desvenlafaxine, I'm really anxious about it as I don't know how I will feel but I know if I don't start tapering It'll never get done 

7 years Pristiq 50mg

1 month pristiq 45mg

1 month pristiq 40mg

1 month pristiq 35mg

1 month pristiq 30mg

1 month pristiq 25mg

1 month pristiq 20mg

2 month pristiq 15mg

1 month pristiq 10mg

1 month pristiq 5mg

On 1/3/2022 at 12:01 PM, ChessieCat said:

Just to clarify:

Normal Pristiq tablets (what you receive in the box in the blister pack when you get a prescription filled) cannot be made into a liquid.

Compounding chemists can make the normal Pristiq tablets into both capsules and liquid.

The contents of a capsule which was made by the compounding pharmacist from the tablets can be made into a liquid.

I hope that makes sense so you know what your options are.

After putting it off and off I have finally went to a compound pharmacy and gotten 45mg dose of desvenlafaxine, I'm really anxious about it as I don't know how I will feel but I know if I don't start tapering It'll never get done 

7 years Pristiq 50mg

1 month pristiq 45mg

1 month pristiq 40mg

1 month pristiq 35mg

1 month pristiq 30mg

1 month pristiq 25mg

1 month pristiq 20mg

2 month pristiq 15mg

1 month pristiq 10mg

1 month pristiq 5mg

• Moderator Emeritus
On 1/4/2022 at 5:10 AM, Altostrata said:

If you divide the Pristiq tablets in any way, the doses become immediate-release with a short half-life. You might need to take 1/2 dose twice a day.

Please note the above.  My suggestion for your next reduction would be to get the doses made so that you can take it twice a day.  I found that I experienced morning anxiety when I only took my dose once a day, which eased during the later part of the day as the dose kicked in.

Keep an eye out for this interdose withdrawal.  I suffered this for about 1/2 of my taper before I realised that I needed to dose twice a day.

1 hour ago, ChessieCat said:

Please note the above.  My suggestion for your next reduction would be to get the doses made so that you can take it twice a day.  I found that I experienced morning anxiety when I only took my dose once a day, which eased during the later part of the day as the dose kicked in.

Keep an eye out for this interdose withdrawal.  I suffered this for about 1/2 of my taper before I realised that I needed to dose twice a day.

That's not good at all I had a chat to the compound pharmacy when I got it made up and they said it is slow release for 24 hours as they only gave me 28 tablets, I just took my first tablet is there any withdrawal symptoms I should look out for I have read all the info on withdrawaling but I have bad anxiety too and worry myself too much I almost didn't take it today because I worried myself what might happen if I do xD

7 years Pristiq 50mg

1 month pristiq 45mg

1 month pristiq 40mg

1 month pristiq 35mg

1 month pristiq 30mg

1 month pristiq 25mg

1 month pristiq 20mg

2 month pristiq 15mg

1 month pristiq 10mg

1 month pristiq 5mg

• ChessieCat changed the title to conducked: wanting to get off Pristiq
  • Moderator Emeritus
16 minutes ago, conducked said:

they said it is slow release for 24 hours

Once Pristiq is crushed it has a half life of about 11 hours.  The slow release formula that is added to the compound mix does not extend the capsule to 24 hours.  I think it may only extend it for about 6 more hours, which is 17 hours.

The Pristiq tablets that we buy are the desvenlafaxine drug mixed with a special glue/matrix (and coated with a special shell which is not part of the drug just a coating) which is what makes it cover 24 hours.

• Moderator Emeritus

21 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Once Pristiq is crushed it has a half life of about 11 hours.  The slow release formula that is added to the compound mix does not extend the capsule to 24 hours.  I think it may only extend it for about 6 more hours, which is 17 hours.

The Pristiq tablets that we buy are the desvenlafaxine drug mixed with a special glue/matrix (and coated with a special shell which is not part of the drug just a coating) which is what makes it cover 24 hours.

I just called them again and they said it is slow over 24 hours with your solution so unless i start feeling a bit icky i'll stay with 1 tablet :) so far i feel normal a bit bleh but ive been feeling like that all day

7 years Pristiq 50mg

1 month pristiq 45mg

1 month pristiq 40mg

1 month pristiq 35mg

1 month pristiq 30mg

1 month pristiq 25mg

1 month pristiq 20mg

2 month pristiq 15mg

1 month pristiq 10mg

1 month pristiq 5mg

21 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

this link just opens and closes for me

7 years Pristiq 50mg

1 month pristiq 45mg

1 month pristiq 40mg

1 month pristiq 35mg

1 month pristiq 30mg

1 month pristiq 25mg

1 month pristiq 20mg

2 month pristiq 15mg

1 month pristiq 10mg

1 month pristiq 5mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Try this one.  It goes to a topic with other links.

The other document is a PDF.  It will depend an what you are using to view the site.  You might not have it set up to read a PDF with a PDF reader or as a webpage.

In case you are not able open any of the documents here is a list (the original has heading for different categories):

Crying spells
Worsened mood
Low energy (fatigue, lethargy, malaise)
Trouble concentrating
Insomnia or trouble sleeping
Change in appetite
Suicidal thoughts
Suicide attempts
Anxious, nervous, tense
Panic attacks (racing heart, breathless)
Chest pain
Trembling, jittery, shaking
Irritability
Agitation (restlessness, hyperactivity)
Impulsivity
Aggressiveness
Self-harm
Homicidal thoughts or urges
Confusion or cognitive difficulties
Memory problems or forgetfulness
Elevated mood (feeling high)
Mood swings
Manic-like reactions
Auditory hallucinations
Visual hallucinations
Feeling detached or unreal
Excessive or intense dreaming
Nightmares
Flu-like aches and pains
Fever
Sweats
Chills
Runny nose
Sore eyes
Nausea
Vomiting
Diarrhea
Abdominal pain or cramps
Stomach bloating
Disequilibrium
Spinning, swaying, lightheaded
Hung over or waterlogged feeling
Unsteady gait, poor coordination
Motion sickness
Headache
Tremor
Numbness, burning, tingling
Electric zap-like sensations in brain
Electric shock-like sensations in body
Abnormal visual sensations
Ringing or other noises in ears
Abnormal smells or tastes
Drooling or excessive saliva
Slurred speech
Blurred vision
Muscle cramps, stiffness, twitches
Feeling of restless legs
Uncontrollable twitching of mouth

4 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Try this one.  It goes to a topic with other links.

The other document is a PDF.  It will depend an what you are using to view the site.  You might not have it set up to read a PDF with a PDF reader or as a webpage.

In case you are not able open any of the documents here is a list (the original has heading for different categories):

Crying spells
Worsened mood
Low energy (fatigue, lethargy, malaise)
Trouble concentrating
Insomnia or trouble sleeping
Change in appetite
Suicidal thoughts
Suicide attempts
Anxious, nervous, tense
Panic attacks (racing heart, breathless)
Chest pain
Trembling, jittery, shaking
Irritability
Agitation (restlessness, hyperactivity)
Impulsivity
Aggressiveness
Self-harm
Homicidal thoughts or urges
Confusion or cognitive difficulties
Memory problems or forgetfulness
Elevated mood (feeling high)
Mood swings
Manic-like reactions
Auditory hallucinations
Visual hallucinations
Feeling detached or unreal
Excessive or intense dreaming
Nightmares
Flu-like aches and pains
Fever
Sweats
Chills
Runny nose
Sore eyes
Nausea
Vomiting
Diarrhea
Abdominal pain or cramps
Stomach bloating
Disequilibrium
Spinning, swaying, lightheaded
Hung over or waterlogged feeling
Unsteady gait, poor coordination
Motion sickness
Headache
Tremor
Numbness, burning, tingling
Electric zap-like sensations in brain
Electric shock-like sensations in body
Abnormal visual sensations
Ringing or other noises in ears
Abnormal smells or tastes
Drooling or excessive saliva
Slurred speech
Blurred vision
Muscle cramps, stiffness, twitches
Feeling of restless legs
Uncontrollable twitching of mouth

Thank you so much for all the help and love your work! :D is there a time period you think I might start feeling anything like this as I said I've felt a bit ew today and a bit on the restlessness and a few other things since taking the tablet but I don't know how long until it hits me lol

7 years Pristiq 50mg

1 month pristiq 45mg

1 month pristiq 40mg

1 month pristiq 35mg

1 month pristiq 30mg

1 month pristiq 25mg

1 month pristiq 20mg

2 month pristiq 15mg

1 month pristiq 10mg

1 month pristiq 5mg

• Moderator Emeritus

You might not get any withdrawal symptoms.

What you are experiencing could just be anxiety because it is your first reduction so you are a bit stressed because you don't know what to expect.  Or if you have tried reducing before an experienced withdrawal symptoms you might be worried that you will experience them again.

I found it better to try not to focus on symptoms.  If you notice you have a pimple on your face, it might be small and a bit sore but as soon as you notice it is seems to get bigger and more sore.

Anxiety symptoms can be similar to withdrawal:

https://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/anxiety-self-help/

• 9 months later...
On 10/27/2022 at 4:34 PM, ChessieCat said:

You might not get any withdrawal symptoms.

What you are experiencing could just be anxiety because it is your first reduction so you are a bit stressed because you don't know what to expect.  Or if you have tried reducing before an experienced withdrawal symptoms you might be worried that you will experience them again.

I found it better to try not to focus on symptoms.  If you notice you have a pimple on your face, it might be small and a bit sore but as soon as you notice it is seems to get bigger and more sore.

Anxiety symptoms can be similar to withdrawal:

https://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/anxiety-self-help/

Hey chessie sorry for not touching base sooner I've noticed since tapering my memory has disappeared, I'm currently about to take my first dose of 2.5mg and I'm curious after I Finnish that I'm going to stop from there, is there anything I should expect when I stop from 2.5mg or have I weaned myself slow enough? Thank you! 

7 years Pristiq 50mg

1 month pristiq 45mg

1 month pristiq 40mg

1 month pristiq 35mg

1 month pristiq 30mg

1 month pristiq 25mg

1 month pristiq 20mg

2 month pristiq 15mg

1 month pristiq 10mg

1 month pristiq 5mg

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2023 at 9:36 PM, Shep said:

@conducked ChessieCat isn't very active on the site at this time. 

Please bring us up to speed with your drug history and your taper by adding a signature. Here is how:

How to List Drug History in Signature

A direct link to your signature is here:

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

I've just updated it I've been tapering pristiq 5mg a month for the past year, and I'm currently on 2.5mg I'm just curious what to expect when I come off all together ( I don't have a doctor the doctor I was seeing left the clinic and I cannot find them and other doctors won't help me because they haven't been dealing with me )

7 years Pristiq 50mg

1 month pristiq 45mg

1 month pristiq 40mg

1 month pristiq 35mg

1 month pristiq 30mg

1 month pristiq 25mg

1 month pristiq 20mg

2 month pristiq 15mg

1 month pristiq 10mg

1 month pristiq 5mg

• Moderator Emeritus
4 hours ago, conducked said:

I've just updated it I've been tapering pristiq 5mg a month for the past year, and I'm currently on 2.5mg

Please note:  We recommend starting with a 10% taper per month, based on the last (not initial) dosage. 

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Your first reduction from 50 mg to 45 mg was within that 10% range, but every month after that has been much faster than we recommend. 

How are you feeling? If you're having a lot of symptoms, you may want to updose. The taper speed you're doing is way too fast. Some symptoms may not show up for months after your taper, as these drugs are known for a delayed withdrawal, which is why we recommend a slow 10% taper rate for everyone because we don't know who will be affected by this and who won't. 

Please post if you want guidance on an updose. We'll need to know a timeline of your symptoms over the past few months. 

3 hours ago, Shep said:

How are you feeling? If you're having a lot of symptoms, you may want to updose. The taper speed you're doing is way too fast. Some symptoms may not show up for months after your taper, as these drugs are known for a delayed withdrawal, which is why we recommend a slow 10% taper rate for everyone because we don't know who will be affected by this and who won't. 

Please post if you want guidance on an updose. We'll need to know a timeline of your symptoms over the past few months. 

I've had symptoms for the first 2 weeks of dropping and since I've gotten to 2.5mg I've been feeling like crap physically, and starting to feel emotions again. I did miss I took 15mg for 2 months I should update that, I also have been nothing a lot more that I feel like I've been smacked in the head with a lump of wood all the time and dizzy and weak, I don't think my doctor will let me go up to 5mg again I might be able to say about doing 2.5mg again what do you recommened i should be taking?

With symptoms for the first 2 weeks of dropping I get real bad then on the 3rd week I start to feel okay for a week or so then I start feeling bad again on the last few days before I drop then it's a cycle.

The doctor I have been seeing (once every 2 months) has tried to push me to just cutting the pills and dropping off in a month but I've refused it and came to a compromise of 5mg a month,  unfortunately not many doctors know too much about this medication and they all try and ridicule you saying you're going too slow and if I mention about reading up on it on forums like this they just try and make out you're dumb and not to believe what you see on the net even tho everything that's been said here I could expect I have so far

7 years Pristiq 50mg

1 month pristiq 45mg

1 month pristiq 40mg

1 month pristiq 35mg

1 month pristiq 30mg

1 month pristiq 25mg

1 month pristiq 20mg

2 month pristiq 15mg

1 month pristiq 10mg

1 month pristiq 5mg

• Moderator Emeritus

@conducked Your doctor is dangerously ignorant. Please read at least the first post in this thread, as it contains information you can print out for your doctor.

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

Instead of messaging that your getting your information off the forums, you may want to print out the below "Stopping antidepressants" leaflet, which was written by the Royal College of Psychiatrists. 

On 8/5/2012 at 3:56 PM, Altostrata said:
Royal College of Psychiatrists. (2020). Stopping antidepressants. Royal Colllege of Psychiatrists (UK). 

Keep in mind any doctor can prescribe antidepressants. You don't need to get it from this one moronic doctor because he or she is making you very sick with this rapid taper.

What date were you previously at 5 mg? If it's been within the past couple of weeks, you may want to go back up to that or at least partially up to it and see if you feel better. It takes about 4 days for your nervous system to notice a change and it may take a week or longer to adjust to it. So anything between your current 2.5 mg but no more than 5 mg. The farther you're out from a decrease, the more your system has adjusted to it, so you don't want to increase too much. Test the waters with a tiny increase. 

Are you limited in what you take because you're going through a compounding pharmacy? 

36 minutes ago, Shep said:

@conducked Your doctor is dangerously ignorant. Please read at least the first post in this thread, as it contains information you can print out for your doctor.

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

Instead of messaging that your getting your information off the forums, you may want to print out the below "Stopping antidepressants" leaflet, which was written by the Royal College of Psychiatrists. 

Keep in mind any doctor can prescribe antidepressants. You don't need to get it from this one moronic doctor because he or she is making you very sick with this rapid taper.

What date were you previously at 5 mg? If it's been within the past couple of weeks, you may want to go back up to that or at least partially up to it and see if you feel better. It takes about 4 days for your nervous system to notice a change and it may take a week or longer to adjust to it. So anything between your current 2.5 mg but no more than 5 mg. The farther you're out from a decrease, the more your system has adjusted to it, so you don't want to increase too much. Test the waters with a tiny increase. 

Are you limited in what you take because you're going through a compounding pharmacy? 

I completely agree with you there the one I have been seeing is a bit better to talk to about things but every other doctor is just stupid and try to force me to cut them (I am in Australia and a few doctors say they only go by what's been posted on there paper work or the statistics from the companies -_-)

Also I have gone to about 50 different doctors over 3-4 years and each one said to taper in a month the doctor who has been willing to work with me wanted to do it faster but is working with me for slower so I'm greatful for that ( this medication in Australia is just pushed out the doors and the pharmaceutical companies don't give them any information other then the basics)

I have taken the medication for almost 3 weeks now on 2.5mg so I may do 2.5mg for another month to allow my body to catch up do you recommend that at all?

Currently yes I am very limited to what i can take, the doctor I am currently seeing who has been the best out of them all,  I can only see him once a month - 2 months he's really booked out and has seen my family for about 20 years but when I asked him about taking something else to help with the withdrawals and for when I come off this medication completely he said he was reluctant and wanted me to try and stay off any medication until December ( I mentioned I wanted to cleanse my body of pristiq because it's been a ride )

7 years Pristiq 50mg

1 month pristiq 45mg

1 month pristiq 40mg

1 month pristiq 35mg

1 month pristiq 30mg

1 month pristiq 25mg

1 month pristiq 20mg

2 month pristiq 15mg

1 month pristiq 10mg

1 month pristiq 5mg

• Moderator Emeritus
16 minutes ago, conducked said:

I have taken the medication for almost 3 weeks now on 2.5mg so I may do 2.5mg for another month to allow my body to catch up do you recommend that at all?

Please stop tapering, conducked. I do not know how to say that any stronger or louder. Your taper is so fast, it's reckless. If you aren't able to updose, I would hold for months at this point. But if you can up the dose as mentioned earlier, that would be best. You may want to up it to 3 mg as a test, since it's been a few weeks since your last reduction. If you don't have a reaction, you may even want to go up more to that last 5 mg dose you were on before this last reduction. 

Some people find that the best way to taper is to not even let their doctor know they're tapering. They simply go to their doctor as a drug dealer, letting them know the drug is wonderful so they get the prescription filled and then they go home and do the slow taper. It's unfortunate that we're in this position, but it's important to do what's best for you. You are worth a slow taper so you can be as healthy and as functional as possible. 

2 minutes ago, Shep said:

Please stop tapering, conducked. I do not know how to say that any stronger or louder. Your taper is so fast, it's reckless. If you aren't able to updose, I would hold for months at this point. But if you can up the dose as mentioned earlier, that would be best. You may want to up it to 3 mg as a test, since it's been a few weeks since your last reduction. If you don't have a reaction, you may even want to go up more to that last 5 mg dose you were on before this last reduction. 

Some people find that the best way to taper is to not even let their doctor know they're tapering. They simply go to their doctor as a drug dealer, letting them know the drug is wonderful so they get the prescription filled and then they go home and do the slow taper. It's unfortunate that we're in this position, but it's important to do what's best for you. You are worth a slow taper so you can be as healthy and as functional as possible. 

Yes I agree no more dropping so fast, if I go upto 3mg what would I be looking for in symptom wise? Like how should I be trying to feel?

Yeah I agree with this, since it's so hard to see the doc I have been seeing lately I've been going to any doctor that will fill the script and when I say to them dropping 5mg they would generally fill the script for me 

It makes it difficult because I feel like crap and I need medical certificates and I need to see the same doctor for them to give me one 

7 years Pristiq 50mg

1 month pristiq 45mg

1 month pristiq 40mg

1 month pristiq 35mg

1 month pristiq 30mg

1 month pristiq 25mg

1 month pristiq 20mg

2 month pristiq 15mg

1 month pristiq 10mg

1 month pristiq 5mg

• Moderator Emeritus
On 8/22/2023 at 7:13 AM, conducked said:

if I go upto 3mg what would I be looking for in symptom wise? Like how should I be trying to feel?

You would be looking for a reduction of symptoms. It takes about 4 days for your system to register the change and it can take a week or more to adapt to the change. 

The goal is to keep the updose low enough that your hypersensitive nervous system doesn't hyper-react to the updose. 

Please let us know how you do. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2023 at 9:45 PM, Shep said:

You would be looking for a reduction of symptoms. It takes about 4 days for your system to register the change and it can take a week or more to adapt to the change. 

The goal is to keep the updose low enough that your hypersensitive nervous system doesn't hyper-react to the updose. 

Please let us know how you do. 

I kept going on 2.5mg this is the second day and I'm not sure if they messed the dosing up or I'm just having a bad reaction I've been feeling real sick and weak and have lots of panic attacks and just feeling a bit crazy, I had a bad panic attack last time I almost checked myself into the hospital (just felt like I was dying and couldn't do this anymore) had a chat to my doctor and said im not sure if i can keep tapering from how ive been feeling and he said if I've been feeling like this he recommends to take 25mg for 4 days then go upto 50mg again 

(Throughout tapering I haven't actually had a doctor just got random doctors to give me scripts to get it done)

7 years Pristiq 50mg

1 month pristiq 45mg

1 month pristiq 40mg

1 month pristiq 35mg

1 month pristiq 30mg

1 month pristiq 25mg

1 month pristiq 20mg

2 month pristiq 15mg

1 month pristiq 10mg

1 month pristiq 5mg

• Moderator Emeritus

@conducked It sounds like your rapid reductions are catching up to you. I wouldn't updose as much as your doctor is suggesting. You haven't been at 25 mg for about 6 months, so your nervous system is likely to hyper-react since it's already adjusting to having much less of the drug in your system. As mentioned earlier, you may want to go with a very low updose, perhaps up from 2.5 mg to 3 mg. However, the longer you wait to updose, the smaller the amount of the updose should be. The goal of an updose is to meet the nervous system where it's at - and it's changed since you were last at 25 mg. That's why we recommend these types of tiny updoses. 

It's up to you how you taper. The way you're doing it is likely going to make you very sick for quite a long time. 

Let us know if you're interested in going with a safe, harm-reduction taper of 10% or less per month - but only after a long hold (and possibly a small updose) until you're stable enough to handle reducing further. 

You may want to have a read of this post:

Cold Turkey and Too-Fast Tapers

1 hour ago, Shep said:

@conducked It sounds like your rapid reductions are catching up to you. I wouldn't updose as much as your doctor is suggesting. You haven't been at 25 mg for about 6 months, so your nervous system is likely to hyper-react since it's already adjusting to having much less of the drug in your system. As mentioned earlier, you may want to go with a very low updose, perhaps up from 2.5 mg to 3 mg. However, the longer you wait to updose, the smaller the amount of the updose should be. The goal of an updose is to meet the nervous system where it's at - and it's changed since you were last at 25 mg. That's why we recommend these types of tiny updoses. 

It's up to you how you taper. The way you're doing it is likely going to make you very sick for quite a long time. 

Let us know if you're interested in going with a safe, harm-reduction taper of 10% or less per month - but only after a long hold (and possibly a small updose) until you're stable enough to handle reducing further. 

You may want to have a read of this post:

Cold Turkey and Too-Fast Tapers

Yeah I said to him about that I did mention I was worried that I don't think I should be tapering anymore because of how I'm feeling and he agreed that's why he wants me to go back to my original 50mg dose, if I do go up to 50mg again I'll be doing it slowly and not a jump to 25mg then back up high since I've been taking 2.5mg for just over a month now and it's hell, I'm considering doing 5mg for a month and jumping up 5mg a month back to 50mg but I don't want to do it as fast as he wants me to just because I know it can be bad

7 years Pristiq 50mg

1 month pristiq 45mg

1 month pristiq 40mg

1 month pristiq 35mg

1 month pristiq 30mg

1 month pristiq 25mg

1 month pristiq 20mg

2 month pristiq 15mg

1 month pristiq 10mg

1 month pristiq 5mg

I'm currently looking at just going back slowly to 50mg, unfortunately recently I've had a lot going on in life compared to a year ago when I first started and I'm starting to feel like going back to 50mg is the safest option, if I go up in doses to 50 mg how do you recommend to do it? Currently the only thing I can possibly do is take 2 2.5mg tablets to make it 5mg to help with the withdrawals but I don't want to do it if I'm going to feel worse then I am

7 years Pristiq 50mg

1 month pristiq 45mg

1 month pristiq 40mg

1 month pristiq 35mg

1 month pristiq 30mg

1 month pristiq 25mg

1 month pristiq 20mg

2 month pristiq 15mg

1 month pristiq 10mg

1 month pristiq 5mg