Tsoup23: New here.

Tsoup23

Hello. I stumbled across this website looking for a support community. I started tapering 5mg of Paxil in April 2021 after being on for a year. I have been doing 10% taper every two weeks and so far it’s been working. I am down to 2.2mg. Not sure if I need to slow it down even more because I’m starting to feel the anxiety creeping back in. Just a little bit here and there.  My acid reflux is coming back also which was only bad when I was having really bad anxiety. Just hoping I can get through this. I know it’s going to be hard, but I’m trying to stay positive and keep my mind busy. Thanks for listening. 

Started 5mg Paxil March 2020

Started to taper April 2021

10% every two weeks. Down to 2.2mg as of 8/2021 

• Shep changed the title to Tsoup23: New here.
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Tsoup. 

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants. 

It sounds like you're tapering too fast. With a slower taper, you may have a much more comfortable journey off Paxil. Also, SSRIs are notorious for causing a delayed withdrawal, so the slow taper not only helps you on your journey off the drug, but also helps lessen any withdrawal that may hit you several months off the drug. 

We recommend reducing no more than 10% off the previous month's dose (not the original dose) every month.

Here is some information on withdrawal to get you started: 

Tips for tapering off paroxetine (Paxil, Seroxat)

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain

Healing from antidepressants. Patterns of recovery video (4 minutes)

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

On 8/12/2021 at 8:31 PM, Tsoup23 said:

I am down to 2.2mg. Not sure if I need to slow it down even more because I’m starting to feel the anxiety creeping back in.

Yes, now that you're down to a smaller amount, you may want to switch to a slower taper, even a micro-taper. 

Micro-taper instead of 10% or 5% decreases

You may want to try small weekly reductions instead of a larger monthly reductions. Here's more information: 

The Brassmonkey Slide Method of Micro-tapering

Please also see this thread, as it provides important information on the high concentration of the drug in the lower doses, all the more reason to taper the lower doses slowly: 

Why taper? SERT transporter occupancy studies show importance of gradual change in plasma concentration

Here is some information specific to your symptom of acid reflux:

Acid reflux

Are you taking any other drugs besides Paxil? Are you taking any supplements? The reason we ask is to check for any drug interactions or supplement interactions. 

As you give us more information, we can better guide you in your taper. 

Thanks so much for the reply. The only other supplement I take is vitamin d because I’m deficient and now Pepcid when I get the acid flare ups. I know better than to try to go faster. My husband and I were wanting to try for another baby soon, but I really wanted to be off Paxil before that. I know there are risks with having a baby on Paxil as well as any ssri and I turn 34 this year was trying not to have a baby over 35 which I think is what’s going to have to happen. 

Started 5mg Paxil March 2020

Started to taper April 2021

10% every two weeks. Down to 2.2mg as of 8/2021