Tvgc 3 questions

Tvgc

I've recently tapered off 200mg Sertraline by halving the dose every month. A far more conservative schedule than the one advised by my doctor (halving the dose every 10 days)

I've had a brief window of remembering what it was like to actually feel alive, followed very quickly by discontinuation symptoms for the last few weeks. The discontinuation symptoms are so bad and are disrupting my life, work and plans.

I thought I'd done plenty of research and was feeling positive about my over-cautious (or so I thought, according to medical advice and information on the web) tapering. I was eating reasonably well had cut down caffeine, etc. I rarely drink alcohol, so that's not a problem. Was meditating, walking, etc. and feeling very positive and possibly a little smug about everything until all of this hit me like a ton of bricks.

That's what caused me to burrow down into an intense research hole the last couple of days and start to understand things.

I'm trying to hang on for another week to see if the symptoms dissipate, but it's been a few weeks now and everything is falling apart. I'm seriously in danger of getting in trouble at work, and considering I work in customer service, the combination of intense sudden rage, and lack of sleep is becoming a danger.

So the plan I've come up with is to go back on the pills 7 days from now (if it hasn't improved) at 50mg, which is the last point at which I felt "normal". Then, after 3 months, start tapering off by 10% every month. Then, by June 2024 (I genuinely feel sick writing that) I'll finally be free of this curse. 

I have 3 main worries that I haven't seen an answer to and am honestly too exhausted and emotional to search for further. Any help would be great. I feel so destroyed by this right now.

1. Tapering down Sertraline by 10% every month, when should I start to feel alive and awake again? Losing that feels unbearable right now.

2. Any tips on getting over the anger? I feel like I've been used and kept quiet with medication as it's a cheap and easy option. It's honestly not just the anger explosions I'm getting right now due to the symptoms, I feel a cold, white-hot fury that feels like it will last as long as I have any energy. I don't like feeling angry or bitter but at the same time, anyone who has been trapped by antidepressants for years probably knows how I feel.

3. Anyone in the UK with Sertraline tapering experience: is it difficult to get your doctor to prescribe liquid Sertraline for a more practical tapering? I haven't booked an appointment yet, but I can only imagine the fight it's going to be.

• Altostrata changed the title to Tvgc 3 questions
  • Administrator

Welcome, @Tvgc

When did you stop taking sertraline? It appears you have withdrawal syndrome from going off too fast. 

You may wish to reinstate a very low dose, such as 5mg, to stop the withdrawal symptoms. We have seen this to be effective. You'd stabilize over some months and taper off by tiny amounts later. 

The liquid would be helpful for this. Show your doctor the articles mentioned here, particularly the one from the Royal College of Psychiatrists:

Everyone here has been subjected to similar medical error, and all are angry to some degree.

Also see 

What is withdrawal syndrome? 

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.