SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Halloween65: Need advice on switching meds

Halloween65

Hello, been on same meds for 4 years now (zyprexa/citalopram) and really have a strong feeling that I need to switch. I have a psych appointment on this Tuesday and wanna discuss switching medications.

Is there anything I should know before then? Like for example, let's say I wanted to switch to Haldol. Does Haldol only work well with certain antidepressants, or can it go well with any?

All advice welcome as I know absoloutely nothing about switching meds. Thanks :)

Last time I talked to a doctor he suggested Haldol and I think but not 100% sure.. venlafaxine or sertraline. Is that a good combo? Thinking Sertraline might be better as it's an SSRI and so is Citalopram.

Dear Halloween65,

We are a site that advises people on how to get off of psychiatric medicines safely avoiding withdrawal effects when possible. We are not physicians and do not advise people on switching or changing or going on medicines.

If you decide to get off of your drugs we can help you to taper safely but it's your and your doctor's job to decide on the rest.

Good luck to you

OMW

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

• Shep changed the title to Halloween65: Need advice on switching meds
  • Moderator Emeritus

@Halloween65 I would use this drug interaction checker. It will answer your questions. 

Drug Interaction Checker

You'll find that all of the drugs you've listed are problematic when combined. They're also problematic individually. 

As Onmyway noted, we're a site for coming off these drugs, not going on or setting up new combinations. 

You may want to get a copy of Robert Whitaker's book, which comes highly recommended:

Anatomy of an Epidemic

A short book trailer:

Robert Whitaker, author Anatomy of an Epidemic video (11 minutes)

Also, please see:

Again, chemical imbalance is a myth. Stop the lies, please.

As many of us found out the hard way, our drugs were the problem, not the solution. The best way to live a happy life is with exercise, good nutrition, a purposeful occupation, and through connection with other people. 

If you decide you wish to stay on psychiatric drugs, you may want to join your local NAMI group (National Alliance for the Mentally Ill), as they support people on these drugs. 

I should have mentioned that I have been tapering for a while now. Not sure how long exactly but not by the 10% rule either.

Don't  know if it was "kindling" or what but I had a few failed attempts coming off and was hospitalized twice. Each time just given refills and sent home. Anyway I started smoking cigarettes again(wich I don't want to do) and kept having same sleep issues and I started feeling waaaaay bad even when I took the meds so I thought maybe they stopped working after all these years and I need something else?

Talked to psychiatrist and she agreed to do 1 med change first, then the other in 1 week. I'm going on four days with the citalopram swapped for sertraline (100mg) and I feel pretty terrible. Can't sleep and I just keep rethinking scenarios on what I could have done different.

What do you think, is this normal when switching? Should I be concerned about further stopping citalopram? 

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, Halloween65 said:

What do you think, is this normal when switching? Should I be concerned about further stopping citalopram? 

These are questions you need to ask your doctor. As noted by Onmyway and myself earlier in your thread, we're a site for coming off psychiatric drugs. We cannot advise you on switching drugs. 

I'm on day 6 I think? since I changed the antidepressant and I feel soooo much better. The antipsychotic is next, but I couldn't find a lot of good stories about med changing on here so I just wanted to say it's been going well for me and I think it's a normal process when the current meds poop out.