SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Kerry1960: Serotonin toxicity

Kerry1960

I am a new member and a retired RN. In January 2019 I took my last dose of Clonazepam 0.5 mg during a medically supervised taper/ withdrawal. It was successful. This March I moved to NM from MO with my husband. It was stressful. Unknown to me my TSH was 0.089 probably for many months. I got suicidal and hopeless in thinking. I contacted the suicide hotline then my PCP. Got short term therapy my prozac dosage went from 40 mg to 60mg  and my levothyroxine dosage was adjusted. I was also taking melatonin 20 to 30 mg nightly. The symptomology I began to experience was dizziness. As the delta variant came- I am vaccinated and never stopped wearing a mask- shopping activities of daily living and and just problem solving became more stressful. I was also exhausted. I researched serotonin syndrome/ toxicity and immediately stopped the prozac on Aug. 12. I have a seizure risk in remission but I still take a small dose of topiramate. I feel better. I have a past history of being over medicated by psychiatry and doing well without so many drugs. Control by toxic family members is part of my past too. Any insight input is welcomed. My husband and I are now changing our shopping needs to online and curbside pickup. 

Liquid prozac 10mg topiramate 75mg twice daily levothyroxine 150mcg daily celecoxib 100mg twice daily fexofenedine 180mg daily

Past- zyprexa halcion effexor lithium Xanax risperidone 

Liquid prozac 3mg topiramate 75mg twice daily levothyroxine 150mcg, daily nasalcrom, prn tylenol, 500mg prn, ibuprofen 200mg

Hi @Kerry1960,

Welcome to SA. Congratulations on getting off the clonazepam. The first thing I am curious about is how long was the taper, at what rate, and what was the last dose you stopped at? What were your symptoms throughout the taper?

TSH levels - are you using ng/dl or mlU/L? Either way, that is pretty alarming. 

The second thing I would advise is to reinstate the prozac. Immediately stopping a dose that high can result an extremely nasty and prolonged withdrawal syndrome that can last months or years. Prozac is something you should taper slowly over a prolonged period of time. You can go a bit faster if you like, but generally the faster you go, the greater the risk. How long were you taking the prozac for? 

One thing that can happen with benzodiazepine tapers, especially if they are overly rapid, but sometimes even with fairly slow tapers (by most doctors' standards), is that you nervous system can become sensitized after stopping the drug. Taking clonazepam for long periods of time will produce neuroadaptations to the drug. Since clonazepam, like most benzos, is a positive allosteric modulator of the GABA-A receptor, it enhances the activity at GABA receptors, producing a sedative effect on the nervous system. To maintain normal function, the nervous system adapts by downregulating GABA receptors, reducing the sensitivity of them or simply absorbing them back into the cell. It can take a long time for your nervous system to adapt back to normal. If we try to remove the drug too fast, this can leave your system in a hyper-aroused state, and produce a pretty extreme withdrawal syndrome (depression and suicidality can be part of this). Other symptoms of PAWS (post-acute withdrawal syndrome) can include increased sensitivity to stress, anxiety, dizziness, fatigue, light and sound sensitivity, sleeplessness and many more symptoms. I have heard others say that it can affect thyroid hormone levels and if you search the site you'll likely find others with this problem. The drug, in addition, is neurotoxic, which most doctors are not aware of, and should not be prescribed long term. 

I would suggest reading our topic Why Taper By 10% for a potential prozac taper. Tapering slowly helps minimize both symptoms and symptom severity, ensuring you can remain functional while you get off the drug. Reducing more quickly than 10% can be too fast for many people, and as you get to lower doses you may want to slow the reduction even further, since receptor occupancy of these drugs tends to decrease more rapidly at lower doses. Here are specific tips for tapering prozac

Some drugs and supplements can interfere with metabolism and can also have psychotropic effects (antibiotics, steroids, some supplements, coffee, nicotine etc.). It would be very helpful if you could create a drug history in your signature like this one. This link will take you directly to the signature. Signatures generally look like this: 

Example:

2001–2002 paroxetine 
2003  citalopram 
2004  paroxetine
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to 2016 Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg

This will allow any moderator or member to quickly see your history and where you are in your taper, and thus be able to help more easily without too much reading (most people here are volunteers and have other jobs).

In the meantime, you might find some of these non drug coping techniques helpful to ease your symptoms. Hope you start feeling better soon : )

Remeron - 2004-2005 (bad withdrawal)

Clonazepam - 2005-2018 (jumped around March)

Olanzapine - 2014- late 2017

Domperidone - 2008-2018

Many drugs in between including Lexapro, other benzos and z-drugs.

Still suffering post-withdrawal from Clonazepam (Klonopin), Olanzapine and Domperidone. 

One other thing is that 20-30mg of melatonin is a massive dose and probably too much for anyone. Are you sure you were taking that much? Most melatonin supplements come in 3-5mg pills. I'm not sure about melatonin adverse effects but I'd imagine getting up to doses that high could certainly cause problems for some people. 

Domperidone - 2008-2018

Still suffering post-withdrawal from Clonazepam (Klonopin), Olanzapine and Domperidone. 

Thank you Data Guy. The TSH is measured using miU/L. My other symptomology included diarrhea  feeling of racing heart rate- my smart watch does not back this up. I clearly have fight/flight/ fear responses of a trauma survivor much worse on the prozac 60mg vs. none. The Clonazepam was done over 7 months beginning in 2018 under medical supervision. My dose was 0.5 TID when it began. I had an active seizure risk at the time. The symptoms I had- just fear. Of having a seizure. Some heart racing type feelings- I had a smart watch then too that did not verify elevated HR. It w successful. In September 2019 my topiramate taper began under neurologist supervision. A prior eeg showed encheplapathy from the AEDs- Clonazepam and topiramate. My cognition memory learning etc improved once the Clonazepam taper finished - same thing occurred after topiramate taper. I went from topiramate 200mg BID to 75mg BID by Jan. 2020. The eeg taken during the topiramate taper- no seizure activity no encheplapathy oct.2019. I will resume my prozac but a lower dose. My TSH is rechecked on Sept. 14. 

Liquid prozac 10mg topiramate 75mg twice daily levothyroxine 150mcg daily celecoxib 100mg twice daily fexofenedine 180mg daily

Liquid prozac 3mg topiramate 75mg twice daily levothyroxine 150mcg, daily nasalcrom, prn tylenol, 500mg prn, ibuprofen 200mg

Ok, thanks for the info @Kerry1960. I support stopping the prozac, but stopping from 60mg straight to 0mg is dangerous. Yes, I would reinstate at a dose that gives you minimal adverse effects. I would suspect you would start to feel withdrawal effects soon, but some people have a delayed withdrawal syndrome. If you feel fine without it, you can wait until you start to feel withdrawal symptoms before you reinstate. Just don't wait too long or let the withdrawal symptoms get too bad. Here is a guide on reinstatement.

You may be interested in this:  

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/309705492_Clonazepam_associated_hypothyroidism_Aforethought_on_a_concealed_dilemma

"Clonazepam associated hypothyroidism: A forethought on a concealed dilemma"

"Subclinical hypothyroidism or mild thyroid failure is a familiar problem, with a prevalence of 3-15% in a population without any known overt thyroid disorder. The prevalence increases with age and is relatively higher among females. Subclinical hypothyroidism is defined as serum thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) levels above the upper limit of normal (4 mU/L) while the triiodothyronine (T3) and thyroxine (T4) enduring within the normal range. Additionally, there exists a log-linear relationship between TSH and circulating T3 and T4; hence, measurement of serum TSH becomes mandatory for diagnosing mild thyroid failure when free T3and T4 are lying within normal limits. Though, autoimmune thyroid disease is the most common cause for elevated TSH; thyroid functions can be afflicted by long-term consumption of drugs like lithium, amiodarone. The causal relationship between benzodiazepine class of drugs, particularly clonazepam and subclinical hypothyroidism has never been established clinically, yet there are some pre-clinical studies to claim the effect of benzodiazepine on thyroid functions; operating at various levels – hypothalamus, thyroid gland, peripheral cells and nuclear receptors. Henceforth, we would like to report a rare occurrence of subclinical hypothyroidism in an elderly female receiving clonazepam for her underlying psychiatric illness."

Domperidone - 2008-2018

Hello Data Guy. I have resumed my prozac at 20mg daily and the melatonin dosage is 5mg at bedtime. Thank you for the info on Clonazepam use and hypothyroidism. I was on some type of benzo   since the late 1980s. My successful taper ending in January 2019! terminated it forever. My history involves my family of origin not dealing or resolving their intergenerational trauma. My journey toward wellness has been to confront it head on. My latest TSH was 0.289. I asked my PCP to lower my levothyroxine dose again. I got bacterial meningitis of my brain from chronic sinusitis in May 2014 and almost died. That is why I had a seizure risk. I also took lithium in the late 1980s and earlyb1990s. I have been the vulnerable codependent in my past over medicated victimized etc. I am also a DV survivor as well. I will keep educating myself. 

On 8/18/2021 at 4:03 AM, DataGuy said:

"Clonazepam associated hypothyroidism: A forethought on a concealed dilemma"

I had my suspections about having this because of the meds, and you just confirmed it, also to note, I've had it for years, my TSH was at 9, 7 years ago, now it's around 6

- 2014 - 2018 >> 3 years of chaotic 4 pack prescriptions by 10 different doctors

- 2018 >> cold turkey withdrawal (because they refused to tell me how to go off the meds and I screwed up)

- 2018 - 2020 >> withdrawal effects for 3-ish years, slight recovery after the long fight

- 09/2020? or so >> was put back on Seroxat, lowest dosage but don't remember how much [will update when possible]

- 11?2020 >> Seroxat replaced with Amitriplatine and getting stuck with 10 MG dosage, getting seizures if I go off

- 01/2021 >> Amytriptaline reduced to 5 MG

- 23/01/2021 >> Amytriptaline quit CT, severe withdrawal for a week but went down after

- 23/02/2021 Diagnosed with Occipital Nerve infection because of the withdrawals mess

- 02/2021 - Diazepam 5mg per day

- 06/2021 - 100mg Pregabalin

- 07/2021 - 25mg Topiramate

August:

80mg Pregabalin, Split into 4 doses per day 

Diazepam every 12 hours (1mg at 6 AM and 2mg at 6 PM)

50mg topiramate

September/October 2021 attempt to stabilize:

10 MG Diazepam 

50 MG Pregabalin 

75 MG Topiramate 

Oct 15th 2021: 

Pregabalin (calculated this time,it's the dose I thought it was 80): 26.6 MG split into 4 doses at 6:00 AM, 12:00 PM, 6:00 PM and 12:00 AM

- Diazepam : 10 MG at 6:00 PM

- Topiramate : 100 MG at 6:00 AM (5th day, was 75) 

March 2023:

- 9 MG Diazepam
- 100 MG Topiramate
- 0.5 MG Codeine Phosphate (every 4 hours)  

July 2023

9mg diazepam

125mg topiramate

0.83mg zolmitryptan every 4 hours

Hello Data Guy. Are you still on Clonazepam or another benzo? I am not. I have free of it for over 2 years. My TSH has gone up and down for over 30 years. Normally - since may 2014 and learning that an abnormal TSH is a seizure precip I would ask my PCP to check it every 6-8 months. This time because of the pandemic meeting my fiance getting married moving from MO to NM this got out of my control. I am one who has gone after my issues behind what happened to me but I am not perfect. Thank you for communicating with me. 

Hi @Kerry1960,

No, I have been off the clonazepam for 3 years. For me the taper was very difficult and I had little guidance. Unfortunately I only found sites like this one after the damage had been done. Something they do not tell you prior to prescription is that withdrawal symptoms can persist for months or years. This was known, but it seems to be an obscure piece of knowledge in medicine. This study by Dr. Heather Ashton is one of the only ones which addresses it.

That is great to hear that your TSH is going back in the right direction. You believe it was mostly caused by stress, then? What research told you that you were experiencing serotonin toxicity? It is true that stopping the benzo could have activated something like this. What symptoms did you have? There is a wide array of symptoms associated with serotonin toxicity. Did you have blood tests which measured prolactin? Sometimes this can be an indicator of excessive serotonin activity. See here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5440440/

Prozac has also been known to occasionally result in hypothyroidism. Could be that this confluence of unfortunate events led to an exacerbation of your hypothyroidism and consequent severe depressive episode. What do you think? 

Domperidone - 2008-2018

Yes Data Guy I do. I am free of withdrawal symptoms from Clonazepam - expect this one is new to me and being a trauma survivor I am aware of things - perhaps - others are not aware of. It is necessary to control only me and my reactions and not other people. My family of origin put unrealistic expectations on me to visit call etc before husband and I left for NM. We both had to travel distances to get both our covid vaccines before leaving too. We visited his parents too in Effingham I'll. Stress takes it toll. The climate in NM is different from MO. I had to alter my allergy treatment protocol as well. We lived in short term housing here for about 6 weeks then moved to a rental house with a fenced yard. I asked to be placed on celecoxib instead of ibuprofen then found out it raises blood plama levels of prozac. I was having feelings of a racing heart dizziness vertigo my blood pressure dropped to 84/ 60 I got diaphoretic. I researched my symptoms serotonin syndrome serotonin toxicity. Due to my seizure risk which is in remission I stopped the prozac but I was aware of PAWS with anti depressants. I found this site fortunately. I have a pending message to my PCP about all this and a request for liquid prozac and a dose of 10mg. I know I have an a window of opportunity here. I see my new neurologist here in Nov. It is still possible in the future my topiramate dose could be lowered. The algorhtymn for people who completely go off AEDs especially after successful prophylactic treatment predicts seizure return so I do not want or expect this. I am one of these people whose cognitive and Neuro functioning improved with less medicine and less chemicals. 

That is great to hear @Kerry1960. Hope you get continued improvements in cognition. How are you feeling after reinstating the 20mg Prozac? You may really start the feel the drop from 60mg to 20mg, just a warning. That is an enormous drop for many people. Would not normally advise that but if you were having serotonin syndrome symptoms then it makes sense. If you do start to feel severe withdrawal, it will be about maintaining a balance. Don't want to experience toxicity again, but want to try and avoid severe PAWS if possible. Hope you are able to avoid too much stress in the future. Thanks for your very informative posts : )

Domperidone - 2008-2018

I feel better. The dizziness vertigo stopped. My BP is in normal range for me. The racing heart feelings have decreased . I was on montelukast for allergies. I stopped that due to it's risk of neuropsychiatric effects. I stopped the loraratadine I was taking too. I am using nasalcrom instead. I was using fluticasone nasal spray. My husband got I'll this week with an URI . I got some symptoms too. We are both vaccinated. I never stopped wearing my mask despite govt recommendations. Pulmonary advisor said in a new study dated around may 21 2021 the rhinocort may be a better steroid spray if SARS COV 2 is involved. I got it today. I need - like all of us- to manage my stress and set firm boundaries. People don't like it when I do. I don't live in lala land but like to focus on improving my life quality not the apolycaplse. My 3rd Pfizer booster is due oct. 9. I have had a bad history of allergies. Allergic disease is connected to behavioral health disorders. 

Well it has been a journey. I found out the celebrex I was taking was increasing the plasma levels of my prozac. I have had a long history of allergies and began sneezing a few days ago. My red flags went up. I am vaccinated against covid and a survivor of bacterial meningitis of my brain from chronic sinusitis. I tapered off the melatonin. I now have a new rx for liquid prozac and take 10mg nightly. I use deep breathing progressive muscle relaxation a heating pad for sleep. I stopped my loratadine and switched to nasalcrom and from Flonase to Budosenide. Trying my best at a mediterean diet

Hi Kerry,

merged your new topic here. We ask members to have only one topic in Introductions so that all of their information is kept together and we can easily refer to it in case we are called for help. 

Another thing that helps us help you faster and better is having all your drug history in one place - your signature.  Here are some instructions on how to create a signature. View it as your patient chart summary :)

How to List Drug History in Signature - Introductions and updates - Surviving Antidepressants

Regarding the TSH - that value indicated hyperthyroidism, which would cause a racing heart and symptoms that can be similar to anxiety. Depending on your T3, T4 levels you might need to stop the levothyroxine completely for a while to allow your body to adjust and then you can restart it if you are usually hypothyroid. (This has happened to me. In my case I was able to stop the levothyroxine completely as my initial hypothyroidism was due to thyroiditis but your situation may be different).

What are your symptoms currently? What drugs are you actually taking now?  
OMW

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

• Altostrata changed the title to Kerry1960 Serotonin toxicity
  • 3 weeks later...

Update

I have been asked by another member to post what I sent in a message to them about me so others could support me help me etc so I will. I am a retired RN a trauma survivor a DV survivor. In May 2014 I developed bacterial meningitis of my brain from chronic sinusitis.  It was MRSA and Psuedomonas. I had multiorgan failure was on a vent had a craniotomoty to remove an abscess from my left temporal lobe. I had lengthy history of being overmedicated by psychiatry. My late husband had passed away in 2012 from complications of type 2 diabetes and also had a pornography addiction. My family of origin was very converative  in their religious beliefs and had not dealt with their intergenerational trauma. I was not expected to live then not expected to live independently. I did both things. The craniotomy resulted in a seizure risk and I was placed on dilantin then later topiramate. I had was on Clonazepam and an SSRI. I have hypothyroidism. It was a process and since I nearly died since time I did everything under medical supervision. I was tapered off many medications beginning in the summer of 2014. Antihypertensives diurectics posstium  proton pump inhibitors etc. I also got therapy dental care. This was life changing. I received DV services and counseling too since my late husband's behavior fell under this umbrella. I came to understand how what happened to me happened - the root causes and how I had the power to change it. My last dose of Clonazepam was in January 2018 under medical supervision. The taper went well. I had no withdrawal - just fear of seizure activity which is legit. In Sept 2018 my topiramate began . I was on 200mg twice daily. By Jan 2019 I was tapered down to 75mg twice daily under the supervision of my neurologist and remained seizure free. I had no withdrawal symptoms. Again just fear of seizure activity which is legit. Unfortunately my father who has is own issues tried to force his way into my apt so he was held accountable by me. He got his first order of protection  issued to him by a judge in Oct 2018. This past spring I was placed on 60 mg of prozac and my TSH - unknown to me was 0.089. - probably for 6 months or more. I was also taking melatonin 30mg.  Not surprising I had many difficulties. Heart palpitations weight loss not wanting to live. I became aware of serotonin toxicity this site. I stopped my prozac then another member I was privately communicated with educated me of the dangers of abrupt withdrawal. I now take 10mg liquid prozac. Levothyroxine 150mcg. My last TSH was 0.2. It is to be rechecked on the 14th. I have stopped the melatonin. I had a PE for PCOS which I believe is one of the core issues besides trauma and abuse. I now live in NM with my husband. What is left of my family of origin is in another state. My sibling is responsible for my parents now. He gets the money etc. I feel healthier calmer. I use CBT etc. I also had to have 5 years of allergy treatment with allergist/ immunologist and 2 years with an ENT to resolve the chronic sinusitis. I still use the treatment plans they prescribed. Both sides of my family had allergies and never addressed it. Allergies and behavioral health issues are linked. Not sure if I will ever get completely off the prozac. I am seizure free on EEG. The topiramate is for prophylaxis and research and actual patient data shows complete withdrawal of AEDs results in seizure activity returning. My father's father died of epilepsy. My father too had been overmedicated by psychiatry had has an achnoid  cyst in his brain which at age  84 cannot be surgically removed. He has been an angry controlling man all his life. He did get what I have achieved. He just tried to stop me .My mother is a so called enabler. She has end stage cardiac disease. Neither individual is safe to be around or contact . It is a sad outcome.for them. I know I put a lot of issues in here. Psychological social medical. They are all connected. I have spent over 7 years learning and researching that they were. Any support is appreciated. If what I have gone through is helpful  to someone that is good. I no longer feel I believe in I belong in a support group for mental health disorders. I do believe in the least amount of drugs and supplements for the shortest amount of time. Healthy diet. Less is more. 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging 2 Intro topics

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Kerry,

Thank you for providing an update.

As dataguy requested previously please create your drug signature following the instructions.  Your drug history will appear below each post you make and allows staff and members to see your history at a glance.  Thank you.

how-to-summarize-drug-history-in-signature

This following link will take you straight to your own signature.  Remember to click on Save:

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• ChessieCat changed the title to Kerry1960: Serotonin toxicity

Hi @Kerry1960,

Thank you for updating your signature. I believe you said you were also taking budesonide and cromolyn? What doses of these do you take? Are there any other medications or supplements you take on a regular basis? 

So far we have: "Liquid prozac 10mg topiramate 75mg twice daily levothyroxine 150mcg daily celecoxib 100mg twice daily fexofenedine 180mg daily," budesonide ??mg and cromolyn ??mg

When you found out your Celebrex was interfering with metabolism of the Prozac, did you stop or decrease it? Did you want to try to discontinue any of these drugs? I'm sorry you have had to deal with this. I have to agree that you definitely seem to have been overmedicated. The antihistamine or celebex may be good places to start, since I don't think either of those are proven safe to take long term. I assume the antihistamine is for allergies? What was the celebrex prescribed for? 

Domperidone - 2008-2018

Yes Data Guy. The combination of my original dose of 60 mg of prozac along with the celebrex was increasing the plasma levels of the prozac according to my research. I stopped the crolomyn. Now with the just the 10 mg of liquid prozac I feel much better. I will decrease the celecoxib to just once daily. Still on the budesonide . It is similar to Flonase. The allergens here in NM are different from MO. I take a multivitamin and also a probiotic. That is it. Thank you. Especially for patience. Still navigating and learning the site. And dealing with issues here in NM that need to dealt with. Boundary issues etc.

The celecoxib is for pain from total knee replacement done in 2010. 

Ok, thanks @Kerry1960. If you do start to discontinue meds, important to do so slowly. Especially with meds like the antihistamine, which can be associated with a pretty substantial withdrawal. 

If you have any questions about the site, please feel free to ask : )

Domperidone - 2008-2018

Hello Data Guy. Thank you. Yesterday I got dizzy again lighted fatigued. Played down in recliner took short nap. Then did research. I do not believe I have successfully acclimated to Albuquerque NM from MO in terms of climate and altitude and pharmacodynamics. Plus have had long term diarrhea. Both seizure risks per my research. Actually found a study. My BP was 101/ 64. I have also lost 16 lbs. Should be drinking 1 oz of water per body weight. Also need to change my diet so I can control this diarrhea. Had lap chloescytectomy in 10/2014. My BP about 2 weeks ago dropped to 80/64. The diarrhea may be multifactorial. Gallbladder removal stress thyroid etc. I did stop the Lisinopril. Taking BP every day and recording it. The research says less meds in this environment. I cannot safely alter my topiramate dosage unless under neurologist supervision. Next appt Nov 2021. My lab - BMP is normal but I do not feel well all the time and I have set hard boundaries with ongoing distractions stress etc that are not safe especially since the pandemic is worsening. I have come through tough stuff before. Appreciate support. I have notes on dietary changes. I did also cut the fexofenedine in half - to 60mg. Topiramate is a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor. The allergies heat climate etc are different from MO. My husband believes - kinda in a type of apolycaplse coming. Me- not so much. I solve problems and create my future. My 3rd Pfizer booster is Oct9. I began my nursing career during the AIDS epidemic. Take care. What you focus on grows. The power of No is strong. The body and brain has a strong innate ability to heal itself. 

15 hours ago, Kerry1960 said:

I began my nursing career during the AIDS epidemic. Take care. What you focus on grows. The power of No is strong. The body and brain has a strong innate ability to heal itself. 

Ok, will respond a bit later. Just need to go into work. But I think you are right. Most healing is natural and drugs and treatments only marginally help this and can sometimes worsen it. Even from an evidence based medicine perspective, most drugs do not work or have only tiny benefits. A very few have large effects. The doctor in this video goes over a few different drugs and trials and shows how difficult it is to improve on our natural biology. Very interesting stuff: 

Domperidone - 2008-2018

On 9/10/2021 at 7:05 PM, Kerry1960 said:

Hello Data Guy. Thank you. Yesterday I got dizzy again lighted fatigued. Played down in recliner took short nap. Then did research. I do not believe I have successfully acclimated to Albuquerque NM from MO in terms of climate and altitude and pharmacodynamics. Plus have had long term diarrhea. Both seizure risks per my research. Actually found a study. My BP was 101/ 64. I have also lost 16 lbs. Should be drinking 1 oz of water per body weight. Also need to change my diet so I can control this diarrhea. Had lap chloescytectomy in 10/2014. My BP about 2 weeks ago dropped to 80/64. The diarrhea may be multifactorial. Gallbladder removal stress thyroid etc. I did stop the Lisinopril. Taking BP every day and recording it. The research says less meds in this environment. I cannot safely alter my topiramate dosage unless under neurologist supervision. Next appt Nov 2021. My lab - BMP is normal but I do not feel well all the time and I have set hard boundaries with ongoing distractions stress etc that are not safe especially since the pandemic is worsening. I have come through tough stuff before. Appreciate support. I have notes on dietary changes. I did also cut the fexofenedine in half - to 60mg. 

Thanks @Kerry1960. How often do you get dizzy like that? Do you have any other symptoms currently? Is your blood pressure normally this low? 

Can you write down exact dates when you stopped certain meds or cut the doses? This might help identify problems if any new symptoms pop up. Thanks : )

How did you feel after you cut the fexofenedine in half? Any new symptoms? If you begin to have problems after this large drop, I would suggest increasing the dose, although not all the way back to the full amount. It's possible to experience a nasty withdrawal syndrome from antihistamines, as seen in this thread: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/505-allergies-sneezing-stuffed-up-nose-sinus-antihistamines-and-what-to-use-for-allergy-relief/page/6/?tab=comments#comment-490447

You are doing a great job cutting back on meds, Kerry, just need to be careful not to do it so quickly that it results in health problems. Keep up the good work : )

Domperidone - 2008-2018

• 2 weeks later...

I am completely off Lisinopril. I was also taking a low dose of estrogen for postmenopausal symptoms. I stopped it as well. My physician is aware. My BP is around 120/70 to 128/79. I take almost daily. I started quercetin for my allergies about 1 week ago 500mg daily. I use Neilmed sinus rinse with 1/4 tsp white vinegar 2-3 times daily. I am still tapering my fexofenadine- 30mg every other day. In my research ACE inhibitors and antihistamines are linked to mood disorders. My Neilmed sinus rinse protocol is from the ENT I saw at KU Hospital after I was discharged for bacterial meningitis of my brain from chronic sinusitis. I began again putting a small amount of apple cider vinegar in my tea once daily. I learned this in trauma recovery- do not react. My husband and many others right now are very angry . Strong boundaries count . Working just on you and your issues matter. The power of No is very strong. Thank you for allowing me to join this site. Still at 10 mg liquid prozac and 75 mg topiramate twice daily seizure prophylaxis. 

Hi @Kerry1960

i merged the new topic with your old one. Each member gets one intro topic here so please don't start any new Intro topics (you can start topics in other threads if relevant). However, I note that your signatures do not match between the two topics. Can you help us reconcile? It's important that we have accurate info on you and your history so we can advise you better. 

Thanks OMW

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

On 9/23/2021 at 10:48 AM, Kerry1960 said:

In my research ACE inhibitors and antihistamines are linked to mood disorders.

👍 Yep. Many medications are linked to mood disorders. Antihistamines are associated with a lower quality of life in older adults and many psychiatric mediations have antihistaminergic effects. 

Thanks for the update, @Kerry1960. Are you able to update your drug signature? 

Why are your husband and others very angry? Is it the pandemic? 

Domperidone - 2008-2018

• 2 weeks later...

Update

I am feeling much better and my relationship with my husband is better and vice versa. I completed my taper of fexofenedine. I now only use nasalcrom. I had issues with hives pruritis. I had to use topical hydrocortisone to calm the symptoms temporarily for about 10 days. I had to resume the celecoxib 100mg twice daily so I called my pharmacy after I calculated my liquid prozac dosage as to mg per ml to double check my calculations. I now take 6mg nightly or 2 ml. Yes the changes from the pandemic trigger both my husband and I. We had a discussion about it and now have a plan to recognize it and stop it before it escalates. My TSH and T4 are normal. My levothyroxine dosage is 150mcg. I still take topiramate 75mg twice daily a multivitamin and a probiotic. Tylenol 500mg as needed Lots of water. 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic

• 2 weeks later...

Update

I have been very busy just working on me my issues. I am down to prozac liquid 3mg daily. I am in a zoom grief support group. I have no withdrawal from the prozac that I am aware of. I am still seizure free. Still on topiramate 75mg daily levothyroxine 150mcg daily nasalcrom prn for allergies Tylenol 500mg prn muscle pain preservative free dry eye drops and dry eye ointment . I am doing things that I enjoy more rather than focusing on politics My husband has this tendency. I am not sure how to update my drug profile so I listed it here. I did get the Pfizer booster. I am a retired RN. I also take a multivitamin a probiotic fiber . I take daily walks. 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Merged another new Introduction topic.  Onmyway has merged one on 23 August, and I have now merged 3 new ones.  As requested please do not create any more Introduction topics.

From the "About SurvivingAntidepressants" topic:

On 5/15/2011 at 5:22 AM, Altostrata said:

This site is also a research project. The personal stories on this site are documentation of an iatrogenic condition -- suffering caused by medical treatment -- that is almost always ignored, misdiagnosed, or denied by the medical establishment. Given the widespread prescription of antidepressants to tens of millions of people worldwide, withdrawal syndrome probably affects hundreds of thousands if not millions -- including newborns and children.

Antidepressant withdrawal syndrome can last weeks, months, or years. It can be distressing, debilitating, or even disabling. It may be adding to an increase in what is termed disabling mental illness.

With our documentation of antidepressant withdrawal syndrome, we hope to educate the medical establishment about this problem. Case studies are essential; they are evidence understood by doctors, the psychiatric industry, and government regulatory agencies. The have already informed numerous articles in major publications and scientific papers.

The above is one reason why each member has only 1 Introduction topic.  And the following is another which I sent to you via PM in October explaining how SA works.  Thank you.

On 10/14/2021 at 10:09 AM, ChessieCat said:

SA works differently to many other forums.  Each member has their own Introduction topic.  This is the best place to ask questions about your own situation and where you can journal your progress.  It keeps your history in one place and means that you do not need to repeat your story.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Administrator

Good to hear of your progress, @Kerry1960 

What's your Prozac tapering method?

Please update your signature. Here's how to edit your drug and withdrawal history in your signature .

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

A syringe. I have liguid generic prozac. 2.5/ cc equals 4mg. I have to watch my intake of the news and the political situation I do keep current - or try to in health medicine psychology addiction codependency etc. I especially try to keep current in the advancing sars cov 2 situation. I walk one of my dogs daily. I listen to the honest guys meditation usually nightly. This sounds depressing but for me it is very motivating. I listen to a podcast called the last day. It is about the opioid epidemic.

• 2 weeks later...

I completed my microtapering of my liquid generic prozac on Nov. 1 2021. No post acute withdrawal symptoms. I have had to reduce my environmental stress set firmer boundaries and have just now resumed ST counseling with a therapist who is skilled in trauma recovery. It is my responsibility to not react to every wind that blows my way. I have again opened the door to neuroplasticity. I have been on an antidepressant since the 1980s. The only so called psycho active drug left I take is for seizure prophylaxis. Topiramate. Prozac can cause a seizure. It is gone. 

• Moderator Emeritus
36 minutes ago, Kerry1960 said:

I completed my microtapering of my liquid generic prozac on Nov. 1 2021. No post acute withdrawal symptoms.

That is good news.  However I would like to draw your attention to the fact that Prozac has a very long half life so withdrawal symptoms may be delayed because of this.

The reason I am telling you this is so that you won't be shocked if you start to feel withdrawal symptoms which could appear 2 or more weeks after your last dose.

From Post #1 of the tips for tapering Prozac topic:

On 7/3/2011 at 4:11 AM, Altostrata said:

Prozac has the longest half-life of any SSRI. After you take it for a few days, half-life is about 16 days. Fluoxetine itself has a half-life of 2-4 days, but as it is processed, your body creates an active antidepressant metabolite, norfluoxetine, which has a half-life of 7-15 days. So Prozac keeps on extending its half-life as it is metabolized.

• Administrator

Congratulations! You may be fine, @Kerry1960 Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 weeks later...

Serotonin toxicity

I am still free of prozac. No withdrawal symptoms that I can assess. A lot of stress and life changes. My mother died on Nov. 13. I had a follow up pelvic ultrasound about 10 days ago. One was done 1 year ago. Now there are 2 uterine fibroid cysts - new . A year ago there was only a left ovarian cyst. All three are benign. My mother had these issues. I am quite proactive and have an appt with an ob GYN in Dec to move forward with surgery. I am and have been symptomatic with these issues. Now that I am on very little meds getting to root causes I see that this. I have zero tolerance for the political gaslighting going on now. I stay informed especially in medicine and psychology but have boundaries because the news and media can affect the brain and nervous system. My mother died from congestive heart failure. My father is 84 still on antidepressants and cared for her. He is in MO. I am in NM. I am concerned his health will decline. I am grateful I found this site and had the courage to withdraw from prozac. Thank you for the support. I will keep posting. 

Edited by ChessieCat
added Intro topic title before merging with intro topic