MedicationInjuryNZ: Cold turkeyed short duration and low dose prozac, 2 month withdrawal nearly complete

MedicationInjuryNZ

Hi, and thanks to everyone here and before for making this web resource available to all the medication injury sufferers out there. We are the lucky ones, RIP to all those lost to the system.

My medication injury story is low dose/short duration prozac with 2 month [so far] withdrawal.

Has been hell at times as I have multiple intolerances and hypersensitivities long beforehand, but made much worse by discontinuation syndrome.

I have the worst reaction to fluorescent lights and background noise etc atm, so hopefully it will lessen as avoiding artificial lighting and crowded rooms for the rest of my life is too big an ask for forever.

The initial mania and restlessness have mostly peaked and passed followed by the extreme sleepiness which is almost over.

Like for many here, most supplements are tricky but most days I rely on cocoa, honey, kombucha and maybe cbd. I dont do coffee, tea or alcohol, sweets or junk food. I listen to lots of calming and uplifting music and sleep whenever I want. Things I used to take like ashwaganda and iodine negatively affect me atm, so just waiting for discontinuation syndrome to fully pass.

Riding my bike in traffic feels dangerous as my cognitive abilities are still greatly affected. Even conversations are difficult at present.

Otherwise for me its like waiting for a caste to come off a broken leg.

I am very bored due to the time out taken to heal and recover, and the lack of cognitive stimulation. 

May all those suffering stay strong to keep searching wellness and emerge from this neurochemical hell wiser and better than before.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 8/17/2021 at 5:37 AM, MedicationInjuryNZ said:

My medication injury story is low dose/short duration prozac with 2 month [so far] withdrawal.

I assume you went off the Prozac cold turkey?  What date did you go off?  

On 8/17/2021 at 5:37 AM, MedicationInjuryNZ said:

Like for many here, most supplements are tricky but most days I rely on cocoa, honey, kombucha and maybe cbd

The cbd may be a problem.  It is a mind altering substance, and these may confuse a nervous system that is trying to heal from psych med withdrawal, and hence worsen the WD symptoms.  

Here is some information about how these drugs actually work.  This explains why getting off the drugs causes the various symptoms it does.

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

What is Happening in Your Brain

What is Withdrawal Syndrome?

Also, as we are recovering, we suggest keeping things slow, simple, and stable. This is extremely important. 

Keep it Simple, Slow, and Stable

When we recover, there are times of feeling OK mixed in with times of feeling bad.  This is called windows and waves.

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Acknowledge, Accept, Float

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

We don't suggest many supplements, but 2 that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

I'm glad to hear that you have been feeling better.  Thank you for introducing yourself to use.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly