sweetrhey: Tapered and 2 weeks off

sweetrhey

Hello, I have been tapering for several months and am 2 weeks off completely. This last two weeks have been extremely hard and I’ve struggled with such ups and downs, strong emotions and irritability towards the people I love that are around me. I still get dizzy and am experiencing headaches and occasional brain zaps. I fear I’m pushing those I love away from me and yet I can’t help my emotional state. I’m afraid this may be who I am after 22 years of being in an antidepressant, or is it the withdrawals and my brain getting back to normal? Any advice or help would be much appreciated.

Edited by arbor

I have been on some sort of antidepressant for 22 years. The last 2 years I was on Zoloft 100mg, Buspirone mg 2x a day (the last year I’ve only done it 1x at bed time), Ambien (I don’t remember the dosage) at bed time, and clonazepam 5mg I think.

in the last year I have successfully got off all of them except Zoloft, which is what I’m doing now. My last dose of Zoloft was at 25mg, that was 22 days ago, I just realized it’s been 3 weeks now. I came off at that dose because I was traveling and forgot my Zoloft and had no way of getting a Rx until I got back to my doctor.

• arbor changed the title to sweetrhey: Tapered and 2 weeks off
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome @sweetrhey to SA.

I'm sorry you're experiencing these symptoms.  Unfortunately they are typical of psycho-drug withdrawal.  I understand the fear that this is who I am now after years on AD's.   These are all really difficult symptoms, but the good news is that they aren't permanent and your emotional state, with time will heal.   Time and patience are our allies.

To get you started and to give you the most pertinent information, could you complete your signature to include the dates and dosages (or as close as you can recall) of your taper and final use of your drugs from the last two years.  Here's a link that can help you with that:

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

I'm going to include a few links that you might want to check out.  I also recommend browsing the site to acquaint yourself with the many topics and discussions that members have shared.

What is withdrawal syndrome?

symptoms and self care

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Reinstatement is an option you may or may not want to consider.  Please ask for help if this option is of interest to you.    

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms.

Relationship issues can be extra-challenging during withdrawal.  I recommend taking a look at this link:

Relationships and social life - 

We don't recommend many supplements, but 3 that we do recommend are magnesium, omega-3, and melatonin. Here are the links for info about those. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

Melatonin

This is your Introduction site where you can ask questions and connect with other members.

I'm glad you've found us. 

Arbor

Zoloft: 1995 - 2015

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

Enalapril: 2010 - 2019

Lipitor: 2017 -2017

Metformin: 2000 - 2020

Liothyronine: 2007 - 2019

Levothyroxine: 2000 - 2022

I did the signature and clicked save. I didn’t realize I needed to put what antidepressants I’ve been on for the last 22 years. Every few years they changed. 
I have been doing a lot to try to help myself feel better, physically, mentally, and emotionally, but it’s not going well. I am taking magnesium, vitamin D, B12, zinc and a multivitamin everyday. I don’t like the fish oil because I taste it all day and burp it. Some nights I sleep well, other nights I don’t and it’s like torture the whole next day. My mother thinks I’m going to get worse with the depression and mood swings and doesn’t think I should go off the antidepressant or at least just stay at a low dose. My husband doesn’t understand very well what I’m going through, and I’m scared I’m pushing him away. My family is also going through big changes right now and we are moving across the country soon, and I have also quit drinking alcohol in the last month, which has been a bit challenging for me off and on as well. I keep thinking on the days I’m feeling better “that’s it! I’ve made it over the mountain” but then the next day usually kicks my ass, and I realize I’m still fighting through. I’m not sure I can do this, and I’m so sad to think that I might fail. I have a big family at home that I want to be there for, all of me without the medication, but I am starting to have second thoughts about what I’m trying to do.

I have been on some sort of antidepressant for 22 years. The last 2 years I was on Zoloft 100mg, Buspirone mg 2x a day (the last year I’ve only done it 1x at bed time), Ambien (I don’t remember the dosage) at bed time, and clonazepam 5mg I think.

in the last year I have successfully got off all of them except Zoloft, which is what I’m doing now. My last dose of Zoloft was at 25mg, that was 22 days ago, I just realized it’s been 3 weeks now. I came off at that dose because I was traveling and forgot my Zoloft and had no way of getting a Rx until I got back to my doctor.

Also melatonin doesn’t seem to help me sleep 

• Moderator Emeritus

Dear @sweetrhey  I know this is a difficult time.  Could you list your medications for the last 2 years, simply and without much description.  Make sure the dates are listed with: day (if you remember) month and year as best you can remember.  This makes it easier for everyone to read and give you feedback.

You're withdrawing from a lot, and I congratulate you on how far you've come.  Believe me, I know this hard.  You're right in the acute phase of w/d from Zoloft.  I hope you can hang in there for your sake, as that sounds like what you want for your own sake.

Here's the signature link again:

How to List Drug History in Signature

It sounds like you found yourself forced into a cold turkey situation with Zoloft.   Normally we recommend tapering by around 10% per month, which helps to mitigate withdrawal symptoms. For some good reasons to taper slowly, check out this link: why taper by 10%

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

What is Withdrawal Syndrome?

Here is some information about how these drugs actually work.  

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

Here are links about cold turkey: 

Cold Turkey and Too Fast Tapers

And then reach out as much as you need.  This is a rough ride.  We all can commiserate with you.

Also take a look at the success stories as they can help us hang in there.

Recovery Success Stories

Arbor

Edited by arbor

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

• Moderator Emeritus

Dear @sweetrhey

As I'm thinking about your situation, the consideration of reinstating at a low dose of Zoloft might be a worthwhile plan for you to consider.  I've put the link above.  If this is something you want to try, then those who are expert here can help you.  I hope you're doing ok.  Let us know how you're doing.

Arbor

I decided to take 25mg where I last ended and stopped the dose. I’m starting to feel better. I believe I came off too quickly, although I hadn’t planned it like that. Compared to 100mg a few months ago, and everything else, that’s ok, I just have to be patient with myself, and go slow now. Thank you for the advice and resources! 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi @sweetrhey--So glad to hear that you're starting to feel better.  

9 hours ago, sweetrhey said:

I just have to be patient with myself, and go slow now.

This sounds good.

Thinking of you,

Arbor