JujuBear Mirtazapine Discontinuation Syndrome

JujuBear

Hello, everyone. 

I am a new member and this is my first post. I am posting for my husband. He has been suffering severely from withdrawal symptoms after discontinuing 15mg Mirtazapine (which he was on for 6 weeks) 7 weeks ago. 

He has tried to use a healthy lifestyle and diet to level out his symptoms with no success. He doesn’t drink alcohol, smoke, eat fatty foods or sweets.  He talks often of how he doesn’t want to be here anymore and I’m not sure how to help him. 

I came across articles talking about how Ketamine Therapy in a clinical setting can be used to combat antidepressant-resistant depression. Have any of you tried this? Is it advisable? And finally, would this be risky considering that he has a history of not responding well to medications?

I appreciate any advice you can give based on your experiences. 

Thank you. 

• Altostrata changed the title to JujuBear Mirtazapine Discontinuation Syndrome
  • Administrator

Welcome, @JujuBear

Thank you for showing such care for your husband. Since he has withdrawal from mirtazapine, most likely a little mirtazapine will help. How much mirtazapine was he taking? What are his main withdrawal symptoms?

As withdrawal is a neurobiological upset rather than a mood disorder, we do not advise experimentation with other psychiatric treatments, they may further upset the nervous system. See What is withdrawal syndrome?

To help us out, follow these instructions Please summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hello and thank you for your reply. 

I am desperate to find a way to help him. He was on 15mg of mirtazapine for 6 weeks. After tapering off 7 weeks ago, he is still suffering immensely. 

His symptoms include: jolting awake at around 4am everyday followed by extreme panic from around 5:30/6am to the afternoon, constant tinnitus, severe depression and anxiety as well as suicidal ideation. He has run out of the house a few times to try to end his life.

He has never suffered with his mental health until 6 months ago. We don’t know what could have caused this or why he is worse since trying medication. We are not sure how much of this is the medication or if some of it is the depression and anxiety that he had before trying the medication. 

We are terrified to reintroduce mirtazapine as he was never suicidal until taking it. However, I also certainly don’t want to try another treatment that could make him worse again. Does everyone get better eventually?

I am so grateful for any advice you can give. 

• Administrator

Yes, those are withdrawal symptoms.

I'd suggest he get a prescription for mirtazapine liquid and take 1mg as a reinstatement. We have seen this very small amount can relieve withdrawal symptoms (which will restore his sleep).

The doctor may not understand. See How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

In a pinch, he can make his own liquid from tablets, see Tips for tapering off mirtazapine (Remeron)

More background:

What is withdrawal syndrome? 

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

To help us out, follow these instructions on your husband's behalf Please summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.