Glycine and its consequences

Heinz1903

Hi i have been looking for supplements, Outside omega 3 Magnesium and others.

What is your opinion on glycine? Does it have side effects and if someone is using it on this forum tell their experiences with it.

For what i know about glycine is made of bonemarrow, which can have great effects on the brain, the nerve system.

but i'm scared to actually try it. because of earlier supplements that had negative impact after i decreased.

eventho it is just a food supplement that you could also get from foods of themselfs.

Can anyone here give me a bigger insight?

2014-2020 Haloperidol
2017-2021 Zoloft
2018-2021 Issues zoloft so i decreased on both Haloperidol

November 2020 Taper down Haloperidol(barely any issues)
March 2021 taper down from zoloft(alot of issues)
Zoloft taperdown from march till late june
25mg was my dosage, may 10mg(from 10 too 5 was hard), 5mg in end of june every lowar dosage gave me alot of issues. clean in end of june.

• 4 months later...

Hey I see no one answered this when you posted about it. Not sure if you'll see this now. What I can say about glycine is that it's a non-essential amino acid that seems to be helpful in improving sleep quality. I took it prior to taking SSRIs at night right before bed and noticed an improvement in my sleep, but only when I took higher doses (3-4 grams). At the time it was safe, without any side effects, and I don't believe it is at all habit forming.

I understand on this website very few supplements are generally recommended, apart from Fish Oil and Magnesium. If you wanted to try Glycine, a 500mg or 1 gram dose would probably be a safe start. I'm currently in withdrawal and took 1 gram last night to see how it effected me and I noticed no real effects, either positive or negative. I'll likely try 2 grams tonight and see how that goes, because again, most research suggests a higher dose is necessary for effects.

Also, this article by Altostrata goes into more detail and people share their experiences there: 

1998- Fluoxetine

2012- One dose of Escitalopram causes suicidal ideation. Started Venlafaxine. Successfully discontinued using a Fluoxetine bridge.

December 2021- 4 days of 5-HTP. Had some severe dysphoric symptoms trying to discontinue. Started Fluoxetine 10mg. Provided with five 1mg doses of Ativan as well.

January 6th- Continued to take Fluoxetine 10mg. Experienced deepened depression and suicidal ideation.

January 9th- 5mg dose. Experiencing deepened depression and suicidal ideation.

January 10th- Quit Fluoxerine CT

• ChessieCat changed the title to Glycine and its consequences
  • 5 weeks later...
On 1/12/2022 at 5:17 AM, Scrountz said:

Hey I see no one answered this when you posted about it. Not sure if you'll see this now. What I can say about glycine is that it's a non-essential amino acid that seems to be helpful in improving sleep quality. I took it prior to taking SSRIs at night right before bed and noticed an improvement in my sleep, but only when I took higher doses (3-4 grams). At the time it was safe, without any side effects, and I don't believe it is at all habit forming.

I understand on this website very few supplements are generally recommended, apart from Fish Oil and Magnesium. If you wanted to try Glycine, a 500mg or 1 gram dose would probably be a safe start. I'm currently in withdrawal and took 1 gram last night to see how it effected me and I noticed no real effects, either positive or negative. I'll likely try 2 grams tonight and see how that goes, because again, most research suggests a higher dose is necessary for effects.

Also, this article by Altostrata goes into more detail and people share their experiences there: 

I tried Glycein last night, I took 1000mg
After that, it was generally normal to be
However, it raised like a urge to have sex
This is strange because there has been little interest in the weaning process
I didn't fall asleep fast, only around 2 at night
After sleeping for an hour, I woke up again and for some reason took another 500mg of Glycein
From there it was a very deep sleep until morning
Unfortunately, the sleep was very confusing and sometimes painful
When you wake up in the morning, recovery takes a long time, there is confusion
I don't know if this is too high a dose for me or is it not right for me?

Xanax 0,5mg 1999-2019 a Xanax 0,5mg paar korda kuus, vajadusel

Cymbalta 30mg 2012-25.04.2018 kitsenev 2-3 kuud,rasked sümptomid 1 nädal pärast viimast annust

Amitriptüliin 25mg 25.05.18-20.01.19 ,kitsenev 2-3 kuuga, unetus, paanika-ärevus, segasusseisund, iiveldus

Valdoxan 25mg 10.02.19-10.03.19, ei stabiliseerinud olukorda, Lorasepaam 10.02.19-20.02.19 vajadusel üleöö

Brintellix 5mg 10.03.19-30.06.19 ,ei stabiliseerinud olukorda, hirme, segasust ja unetust, olin haiglas 1 nädal

Olansapiin 5mg 01.03.19-02.08.19,unetuse leevendamiseks suureneb segasus, suureneb depressioon, tekib raske akatiisia Cymbalta 30mg 30.06.19-01.08.19,ei tööta enam, olukord ei stabiliseeru, jälle haiglas 2 nädalat

Levomepromasiin 5mg 03.08.19-20.12.19 aitas magada, kuid suurendas segadust ja depressiooni

Anafraniil 75mg03.08.19-15.12.19  15.12.19 , 35mg  17.05.20  , 27mg 01.01.21 16.07.21 oli päevane A19 mg 01.04.22 11mg 01.11.22 8,6mg, 01.11.23 6,5mg 01.01.24 5mg

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy