Singhpunjabi: Help withdrawing from sertraline / Zoloft

Singhpunjabi

Hello. I am from India. Pls ignore spelling mistake if any. I am on anti depressants for the last 17 years. 2004 to 2011 on prozac. Then Zoloft from 2011 till.date. last year 2020 I stopped Zoloft cold turkey due to numbness. After 1 month severe withdraw symptoms. I thought I am going to die. I reinstated .got somewhat relief. Then I found this wonderful site. I read sucess stories.so decided to taper. Currently on 2mg of Zoloft for the last 2months. But having withdrawal effects. Always having feeling of death.24hour this fear. Is anyone having this thought. While I walk it looks I am going to pass out or having a heart attack. I am a disabled person having polio in childhood. Should I withdraw or not.pls help and guide me. Thanks

Prozac from 2004-11 then Zoloft from 2011-21  for panic attacks

Dose 50 to 25mg of Zoloft.

January 2021 started tapering.

Now on 2 mg of Zoloft tapered in 9month almost. Having severe withdraw symptoms.unable to walk or talk. Fear of death heart attack. Fatigue.having poliomyelitis in childhood so not so strong.

Taking omega3 capsule and vit d3.

How this content ll be approved by a moderator?

Now on 2 mg of Zoloft tapered in 9month almost. Having severe withdraw symptoms.unable to walk or talk. Fear of death heart attack. Fatigue.having poliomyelitis in childhood so not so strong.

Pls someone reply.

Hello @Singhpunjabi and welcome to SA.

The site is volunteer run, so please be patient as there is a lot to tend to and it may take a while for someone to look at your post.

Thank you for starting on your signature there, please add dates and amounts to it covering the last year or two - it will help us get the picture.  Also any other drugs or supplements you've been taking.

What dose of Zoloft were you on when you went cold turkey months ago?  Have you been on a steady 2mg/day for the last couple of months?

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Your anxiety is more than likely to be withdrawal related.  If you are experiencing actual heart or other symptoms, please see a physiologist.

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms and Ways to cope with daily anxiety

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements too.

Your body and brain will be trying to catch up with the cold turkey and reinstatement you made - How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain

I would be looking to stabilise and get a reasonable level of comfort before planning a gentle taper.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off sertraline (Zoloft)

Cheers

I am not a health professional - your actions are your own.  

Please do not seek tapering support via private message - "Any reason to hold is a good one"

My taper visualised as a graph   |   My intro thread

Backdrop:  2003 10mg olanzapine | 2004 2-3mg risperidone | end 2014 3wks aripiprazole

2015: olanzapine  10 -> 7½ -> 6⅔ -> 5mg  by crude pill cutter

2018:  Mar 5.00mg -> water titrated taper -> Aug2.5mg tablet and hold

Jan 2019 2.50mg water titration -> Jan 2020 1.214  -> Jan 2021 0.44 -> 2 Oct 0.205 ->3 Oct ZERO🥂

Jun 2023 💉150mg paliperidone "loading" depot shot, 100mg 1wk after Jul 100mg Aug-Dec 75mg/4wks

Jul 2023 2.50mg aripiprazole/day attempt to lower prolactin^

Jan-Feb 2024 cross taper off shots to 1mg risperidone

Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country did to you"  -- KMFDM

• hayduke changed the title to Singhpunjabi - Help withdrawing from sertraline / Zoloft

Thanks you hayduke for the reply. I was on  steady dose of 2mg for the last 2month. I stated tapering in january this year from 25mg . Now holding At 2mg for the last 2months.awful withdrawal. Always looks like going to die. Intesne fear.i am feeling that it's not me .m taking vit d3 and Omega 3 capsule.not helping much. I thik they are causing stomach issues

Thanks @Singhpunjabi.  Please add that info to your signature.

Also have a good read through the links I've just posted, a lot of people who've been down this road have shared a lot that can help.

Particularly look at Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms and Ways to cope with daily anxiety

Please do not seek tapering support via private message - "Any reason to hold is a good one"

Backdrop:  2003 10mg olanzapine | 2004 2-3mg risperidone | end 2014 3wks aripiprazole

Jan 2019 2.50mg water titration -> Jan 2020 1.214  -> Jan 2021 0.44 -> 2 Oct 0.205 ->3 Oct ZERO🥂

Jun 2023 💉150mg paliperidone "loading" depot shot, 100mg 1wk after Jul 100mg Aug-Dec 75mg/4wks

Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country did to you"  -- KMFDM

Hello dear members.

I am feeling so sick. I am currently on 2mg of Zoloft. I am afraid of death 24hours. Having fear of heart attack. Now having cold feet and hands. Slow heart rate and slow breathing rate. Looks like soreness in whole body. Depersonlization become worest ever. When I walks looks like I am going to pass out.now  I feel I have blood circulation problems.is this normal in withdrawal or I am having some thing serious?

@Singhpunjabi have you read those links I posted about managing your anxiety?

Maybe you have access to helpful breathing techniques where you are?  I wonder if Pranayama might be more of a southern practice, but that sort of thing is a good start.

If you really think you are unwell, get checked out by a doctor.

Otherwise we're just going around in circles...please try to relax and calm yourself, either however you or your family and friends normally do that, or try something from the links there.  Thanks mate

@hayduke yes I gone through these links. Thank you. From the last year I went to many doctors. I have also consulted cardiologist. Have 2 3times EKG done and echo heart. But they said normal. Yesterday basic blood test were also normal.i do not know why  I am feel so sick.

@haydukeWhenever I try to sit in family or friends . From inside fear jumps out and I ll try to b escape from the place. Want to alone and even do not want to talk. Just want to b silent.

I feel very little bit easy in the evening for half an hour .after that when I takes Zoloft dose it seems like same again. Is it possible that low dose of Zoloft is doing harm than benefits? Should I quit Zoloft now 

@Singhpunjabi, we need to understand your taper better.  You mention a month of cold turkey, but also "January 2021 started tapering.  Now on 2 mg of Zoloft tapered in 9month almost."  It's just not clear from that how your dosages have been changing over time.

Please review your signature - we don't need your symptoms in there, just your drug history.  Every dosage change you have made in the last two years would be a big help. 

In any case it looks like you've made a large reduction in your dosage in a fairly short time, much faster than the 10%/month we recommend.

Your body and nervous system will be in withdrawal.  As you keep saying, you're obviously experiencing a lot of anxiety, and you will need to keep working on calming yourself.  There is a lot of information in these links that people on this path have shared that can help you.  Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems

Are you doing anything to actively manage your anxiety?

I would not stop taking the small amount of the drug that you are now, or you will just be adding more disruption for your body to catch up on. 

How are you measuring the 2mg of sertaline?

@hayduke after stopping cold turkey in last year 2020April.i reinstated in may 2020 at 50mg . When I was stable till Dec 2020.i started tapered in january 2021 dose 25mg. Then after 1month 12.5mg. then almost 8.25mg (one third of 25mg pill) after 1.5month. then started dissolving half pill of 25 mg into 10 ml of water . Taking 6ml dats almost 6mg. Then I started tapering 1ml every month. Now I dissolving half 25mg pill in 10mlwater and taking 1.6ml . 

Thanks mate.  Please follow the guide at How to Summarise Drug History in Signature

Edited by hayduke

Ok sir. Thanks. Then what u recommend should I go back to little higher dose to feel little better ??

Your posts show a CT, high reinstatement and a fast taper all in the last 18 months. Your brain is screaming for stability. You may get some relief by updosing a small amount. I would give it a shot at 3mg for a couple of months. It will probably take a pretty long time for You to stabilize, so you'll have to wait before going any higher. You may get some relief in a day or so, but more than likely it will take over a month before we see much positive progress.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Administrator

@Singhpunjabi please let us know how this small updose affects you by posting here. It will take several days for full effect.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

9 hours ago, brassmonkey said:

Your posts show a CT, high reinstatement and a fast taper all in the last 18 months. Your brain is screaming for stability. You may get some relief by updosing a small amount. I would give it a shot at 3mg for a couple of months. It will probably take a pretty long time for You to stabilize, so you'll have to wait before going any higher. You may get some relief in a day or so, but more than likely it will take over a month before we see much positive progress.

@brassmonkeyok sir I ll updose from today evening. Is it dangerous that I did wrong in cold turkey then reinstate and then fast taper.now I having blood circulation isusue. When I standing for a while feets become redish or purple and feelings of pass out and vertigo. I googled it's show symptoms like POTS disorder.

@Altostrata I ll definitely post it's affects after few days.

@brassmonkey yesterday evening I took 3mg. Today in morning I hav sever panic.went to Gp  . Bp high 130/100. EKG normal. He gave etiozolam .25.  then I had some relief . Should I continue with updose ?

As Alto pointed out it will take several days for things to stabilize and settle in. I would give it some time. Any change in dosage takes a minimum of four days to settle in some medications can take longer.

I would be very careful using the etiozolam. Dependence can happen in just a few days and it will then require it's own long slow taper to get off of it.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Today totally crashed. So sick. Visited  in emergency . Prescribed paxil cr 25 and klonpin 0.5mg.ane advised to stop sertaline.i started klonpin.feeling better.should I start paxil ??

Just now, Singhpunjabi said:

Today totally crashed. So sick. Visited  in emergency . Prescribed paxil cr 25 and klonpin 0.5mg.ane advised to stop sertaline.i started klonpin.feeling better.should I start paxil ??

@brassmonkey

You are having severe withdrawal from doing a too fast taper earlier this year. Your body is looking for stability so it can start healing. Adding more drugs to the equation will just cause more problems. Klonpin can cause dependence in just a few days even if used PRN. Then it will have to be carefully tapered which will take many months. Paxil has a reputation for being the hardest AD around to get off of. I would stay away from both of them.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Singhpunjabi: Help withdrawing from sertraline / Zoloft
  • 1 month later...

@brassmonkey I taken paxil for 2days and klopin for 2-3 times. I felt worse. So I stopped both of them. I reinstated sertaline 12.5mg . Now it's almost 1month. I am feeling some improvement now. Not properly functioning but able to do my basic routine activities.constant fear gone it's episodic now. Episode of good feelings comes for 1-2hour. Then same low feelings. I want to know for how much time I should hold this dose or I should further updose . Please guide me

You should hold until your symptoms stabilize at a consistent level with no big swings to feeling good or feeling really bad. This frequently takes three to six months.

• 2 months later...

@brassmonkeyhello sir. I am feeling very much stable now. Little episodes of mood swings or internal terror. Its almost 3 month now , i am on 12.5 mg. Should i strat tapering or still wait. If i  start tapering   should i start with 10 percent or 5 percent drop ?

Yes, I think you could start a taper now.

I would suggest a 10% Brassmonkey Slide. 2.5% a week for four weeks then an additional two week hold.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/17671-the-brassmonkey-slide-method-of-micro-tapering/

@brassmonkeyok sir. Thank you. I ll start as you advise