Barbarannamated

Friend teenage daughter on "cocktail"

Barbarannamated

My heart is so heavy. A dear friend divulged to me today that her teenage daughter is on a cocktail of drugs for aggressive type behavior. I knew they were having problems and the daughter (about 15) was being aggressive to her mom. The doc was holding off on a Borderline Personality Disorder diagnosis because she is too young and didnt want to label her, but apparently is ok with a cocktail of drugs. The daughter is very intelligent, creative.

I recall when the mother was a teenager, she had wicked mean PMS and cant help but wonder if there's a correlation.

They have embraced "better living through chemistry".

I feel so sad.

Barbarannamated

Now another close friend from childhood has opened up that her son (17) is also on cocktail of drugs and that "he cant live with himself and parents cant live with him" without drugs. He just got SAT results and got perfect score on math. I dont know what that has to do with anything except that these two kids are both quite intelligent.

I'm having to bite my tongue, or stop my typing finger. The one family is going to docs at Ohio State Psychiatry and the other to University of Maryland. Both feel they are getting the best care. Their kids are controllable now. I just dont know anymore.

annej

Your posts remind me of the time when my daughter was 13 and experiencing mental distress.

My knee-jerk reaction was to get her "help" in the form of a therapist and psychiatrist. The standard "treatments" followed. I am grateful that my daughter was wiser than her parents and was not "med compliant". My daughter's distress was most assuredly caused by the unintentional, misguided parenting by two overwhelmed parents.

My daughter was identified as the "person with problems" in the family. So far from the truth, but denial of what is really going on in family dynamics is so very common. My daughter who is now 25, lives a self-directed life, has full range of emotions, and lives a life with purpose without medication.

"Aggressive type behavior" is often a symptom of the turmoil and angst that exists within the family. Someone has to act it out and who better to do this than a teenager? Annej