amstrong Medication Free- over a year later Sertraline/Zoloft withdrawal journey SUCCESS (11 years on)

I have been on Sertraline (Zoloft) over the last 11 years. These were prescribed by a physician in an effort to treat my GAD/panic condition caused from high stress levels in college. Prescribed within a 10 minute appointment. I was 20 years old. And with no information on how long to take it or how to stop taking it. "Take this, it will help."

The medication seemed to work OK for a few years. However, my experience over the last 2.5 years on this medication and with the psychiatry system has been a complete mess.

My symptoms of anxiety (and the addition of depression) were exacerbated with many new symptoms and side effects: heightened anxiety, suicidal ideations, uncontrollable movements, cognitive impairment, and many others. I continued to speak to my psychiatrist about all these symptoms and my deep sense that we were on the wrong track. In fact I showed up in tears to the office. I was told I needed to increase my dosage, as I had more than likely become tolerant to my current dose. So as a good patient would, I listened to my doctor’s recommendation- increase from 50mg to 100mg. I increased to 75mg, had a follow-up appointment and relayed that I was feeling ‘OK’, but not great. So, I threw out an idea. How about this? Since increasing isn’t making me “better”, I’m going to reduce and taper off. Do the opposite. My psychiatrist was hesitant, but agreed if I wanted to take that journey then she’d support my decision and want me to continue check-ins.

Was I given any advice or direction from the psychiatrist on tapering? Not really. I researched myself. I read many testimonials and clinical trials about the challenges of tapering off medications. I was ready for what I thought might be a very bumpy ride and determined I would decrease slowly over many months. I made myself a plan. Make a reduction every 6-8 weeks, so I have time to acclimate in between reductions. So I did just that. I also journaled my symptoms- physical, mental and emotional feelings daily. It wasn’t a fun process (def had some issues), but it wasn’t all that terrible. The added global pandemic definitely did not help the situation (super great time to come off medication).

My last dose taken May 31, 2020. Six weeks go by and I’m doing pretty good. THEN, like a freight train, I’m hit with delayed post withdrawal. The most horrendous physical, mental and emotional pain I’ve ever experienced in my life. Nerve shocks, body aches, headaches, cognitive disorientation, tremors, severe insomnia, panic, crying spells, chest pain, no appetite, extreme anxiety, depression, and suicidal ideation. Things I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy. Overall I lost 10 pounds. I cried every day. The insomnia got so bad (only slept 2 hrs each night), I was put on Trazodone for a short period. I was in a tailspin. I felt so alone. This lasted a very long 3 weeks. And honestly without my support system, this forum, and my stubborn attitude I don’t think I would have gotten through it.

After those 3 weeks, I could feel myself getting closer to the surface again. I still struggled, but each day got a little better. A little more healed. Symptoms still lingered, but things were subsiding slowly. My body working out the kinks. 

I started feeling real improvements and larger windows at the 6 month mark. Still some bumps in the road, the occasional stress induced anxiety symptoms, but overall better. Every day got a little brighter. I now genuinely know the medication was the culprit in making me ill- inflaming all of my anxieties.

Today I have been 1 year 3 months without any medication. Last dose taken on May 31, 2020. I can wholeheartedly tell you it does get better. I feel the best I’ve felt in years. My symptoms have all subsided. I still have general anxiety, but it is very minor in comparison to being on the medication. I have learned so much about myself, my strength and the coping mechanisms/exercises that work for me. And I’m still healing.

Everyone’s story and timeline is different, however I hope sharing my experience gives you hope. YOU ARE NOT ALONE. You can and will weather the storm and get through this journey. You may not see it now, but there is an end in sight. And it’s beautiful. Keep going.

**On a personal note, THANK YOU to those of you that have also shared your experiences on this forum, as this undoubtedly helped me hang on during my journey of tapering and withdrawal.**

XX

Amber

*Sertraline (Zoloft)- 10.5 years @ 50mg for panic attacks/GAD (few years at higher dosage)
*Experienced extreme depersonalization and extreme anxiety Oct-Nov 2019 while on meds. Met with psychiatrist who suggested increasing dose from 50mg to 75mg. Increased for 3 weeks, but did not improve. Made the conscious decision to taper off.
*Tapered over 8ish months period. Scheduled tapers every 6-8 weeks:

• Nov-Dec 2019: Reduced recent increase to 75mg back to 50mg
  • Jan 2020: 50mg to 35mg
  • Feb-Mar 2020: 35mg to 25mg
  • Apr-May 2020: 25mg to 12.5mg (stayed on 12.5mg for 8 weeks to make sure acclimated)
  • May 2020-June 2020: 12.5mg to 6mg
  • June 1, 2020: Day 1 of NO meds

*Have emergency Klonopin for panic, but refuse to take.
*Experienced delayed withdrawal after 6 weeks (July 2020): high anxiety, body and muscle ache, chest tightness, electric shocks, severe insomnia, no appetite (lost 10 lbs), crying, depression. These extreme symptoms went on for 3 weeks.

* Aug 2020: Went on small 50mg dose of trazodone for insomnia, as I was only getting 2 hours per night. Took for 3 weeks and now fully removed. I can sleep a full night.
*Steadily improving- still have WD symptoms, but can sleep now and function throughout my day.

*Was told by therapist and new psychiatrist I was probably given the wrong medication to begin with. Great. 😒

*I feel way more clear headed. I can logically make the connections of how I'm feeling/what I'm experiencing. I've just got to find my homeostasis again. 💝

*Take omega 3s, magnesium glycinate, CBD regularly.

*Go to therapy, meditate, practice breathing techniques, cold therapy (Wim Hof) and exercise regularly.

👏 How wonderful to read your story Armstrong!

Congrats on making it to the other side and thank you for coming back to give us hope!

☀️☀️☀️

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

That’s fantastic, I’m really happy for you. Enjoy your new life 💗

Completely drug free 11/26/22 🎉

Supplements: Magnesium citrate: 250 mg; Fish oil: 1200 mg

“When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.” - Victor Frankl

Excellent, wonderful, bravo. Thanks for giving a shot of hope as I wrestle oh sooo slowly to the end of these dastardly medications. Thank you for posting.

•  Various antidepressants since 1995.Prozac,paxil,lexapro, Wellbutrin.
  •  2004-2021 lexapro 10 mg
  •  2009 added drug Wellbutrin 150mg, 2016  bupropian300 mg XL
  • 2019  start taper June bupropion 300 mg. Now resuming micro dose taper.2.3% reduction. At 51.8 mg.Hope to increase reduction. 
  • 2021 January 29 liquid lexapro done by compound pharmacist.
  • 2021 February 4 began  lexapro taper 
  • 2022 April 7 start 10 mg fluoxetine as bridge.
  • hyperbolic taper. Liquid lexapro 6.60, holding. 
  • 2022 April 27 dropped to 5 mg fluoxetine holding.
  • held all taper from March 2023- January 2024
  • working with mark Horowitz, a taper coach, and doing acupuncture and chiropractic work.
  • SUPPLEMENTS- Vit d3, B-12, Magnesium 200 mg, Ashwagandha 475mg, lithium  oratate 5 mg

Congratulations from another Zoloft sufferer ……

Aug. 16-17, 2020, cipralex: went CRAZY! Recovered in 24hrs

Aug.28,2020; 3.5 weeks 25mg sertraline/4.5 weeks taper

Oct. 25: Last dose (4mg)

Symptoms while on zoloft

DPDR/out of my body/soul despair/feeling dead; tinnitus/no appetite; fear, anxiety/panics

4 months OFF: soul despair, anxiety/fear, brain disconnection/ DPDR, brain feels swollen-numb/crazy/bedridden barely functioning, tinnitus, eye lid twitches; face spasms. Feeling slightly better after 10pm.

- sleep & appetite are fine

9 months OFF: hell, no windows, same symptoms as above  (only eye and face twitches have stopped) plus intense arm/shoulder pain and visual issues. Tinnitus replaced by head buzzing. 

10 months-1 year: all above plus Insomnia (out of nowhere), depression, no peace of mind (mental Akathisia); 2.5mg melatonin

14months off: sleep resumed. All rest symptoms remain. Bedridden vegetable all day. DP is relentless. 

1.5 years off: still severely disabled, not much changed except some improvement in vision.

Wow so great that you have come back here to post your success!

im just getting to the point where I sometimes feel like myself again but my brain / mind feels weird sometimes, nervous I would call it? Did u feel like this?  And does this clear x

Sertraline 100mg (1 day) then 50mg for 8 weeks March 2020 - May 2020 bad reaction, no medications until October 2020 mirtazapine October 2020 until 7th July 2021 didn’t realise I was in sertraline WD during this time also started natural progesterone January 2021 and started supplements to reduce cortisol and oestrogen April 2021 also Metformin as has insulation resistance not sure if to still take this currently on no medications  

@Kate2301 Yes I felt disoriented at times- kind of dizzy and a brain fog. I also had a good amount of disassociation. Which then would make me feel anxious because I didn't "feel normal". It does go away over time. Best advice I can give is to do things or hobbies that can distract you from focusing on the feelings. I wish you the best xx

*Sertraline (Zoloft)- 10.5 years @ 50mg for panic attacks/GAD (few years at higher dosage)
*Experienced extreme depersonalization and extreme anxiety Oct-Nov 2019 while on meds. Met with psychiatrist who suggested increasing dose from 50mg to 75mg. Increased for 3 weeks, but did not improve. Made the conscious decision to taper off.

• Apr-May 2020: 25mg to 12.5mg (stayed on 12.5mg for 8 weeks to make sure acclimated)

*Experienced delayed withdrawal after 6 weeks (July 2020): high anxiety, body and muscle ache, chest tightness, electric shocks, severe insomnia, no appetite (lost 10 lbs), crying, depression. These extreme symptoms went on for 3 weeks.

* Aug 2020: Went on small 50mg dose of trazodone for insomnia, as I was only getting 2 hours per night. Took for 3 weeks and now fully removed. I can sleep a full night.
*Steadily improving- still have WD symptoms, but can sleep now and function throughout my day.

*Was told by therapist and new psychiatrist I was probably given the wrong medication to begin with. Great. 😒

*I feel way more clear headed. I can logically make the connections of how I'm feeling/what I'm experiencing. I've just got to find my homeostasis again. 💝

*Go to therapy, meditate, practice breathing techniques, cold therapy (Wim Hof) and exercise regularly.

I like the person who is patient and struggles and suffers for success.. in the midst of withdrawal you are in the middle of the sea there is no retreat there is only swimming to shore or drowning..so thank you for the motivation and forward

I don't speak English fluently but I speak to you with google translator

2005-2006:Diversity in taking medications
 2006-2019 Seroxat 20 mg
 2020-2021 Cipralex 15 mg
 Mar 2021 it has decreased from 15 mg to 12.5 mg/Aug 2021 9mg/Sep 12, 2021 8mg/Oct 12, 2021 7mg / Nov 12, 2021 6mg / Dec 12, 2021 5mg / Jan 12, 2022 4.5mg /Feb 12, 2022 4mg/Mar-Apr 3.5mg/May 3mg The beginning of severe withdrawal

/sep 23, 2022 2.5mg

On March 19, 2023, I ended up in the emergency room, with severe palpitations, panic, and severe mental and physical fatigue, then I went back to a dose of 20 milligrams of Seroxat to this day.

Hi Armstrong, 

How long have you been feeling back to normal? 

What were your symptoms? What symptoms went away first? What were the more difficult ones? 

What non-drug techniques were helpful in managing your symptoms?

Thank you for sharing your experience here! 
OMW

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

@amstrongI see that you have CBD listed in your suppliments. Do you think that has helped with the withdrawl symtoms? 

1995 -2008 Zoloft 100-200 mg prescribed by Psychiatrist for depression

5 mg Klonipen prescribed for social anxiety

2008 Zoloft 100 mg Psychiatrist no longer took insurance, started getting Zoloft prescription from OB/GYN

2009 weened myself off of klonipen ( do not know how I did that)

2018 Zoloft 50 mg Weened myself. Getting prescription from new PCP

2020 Zoloft 25 mg weened myself

quit cold turkey mid sept 2020

quit cannibis late June 2021

Aug 2021 Hydroxyzine 25 mg  - for sleep

Withdrawl symptoms: Started Mid June 2021; insomnia, IBS, loss of appetite, cortisol spikes, major anxiety

Suppliments: Seriphos for cortisol spikes, Lactium, Theanine, tryptophan, GABA, Omega 3, Vit B, C

@Onmyway I answered your questions below:

How long have you been feeling back to normal? Larger windows began at the 6 month med free mark. I still had heightened anxiety moments and some days of depression, but overall things improved from there. I think I really hit a good stride at the 10 month mark.

What were your symptoms? What symptoms went away first? What were the more difficult ones? I mentioned all the post withdrawal symptoms, which were terrible at the time. General anxiety overall. I experienced sever panic attacks (numerous ones a day), insomnia and lingering chest tightness- these 3 were the worst of everything. I got in a tailspin of anxiety during the day, insomnia at night which just made things absolutely terrible because I wasn't getting a "break". Endless cycle. It got so bad I was put on trazadone to help. It took about 4 weeks for me to finally start falling asleep on my own and sleeping more each night. That's when I stopped taking it. Anxiety came and went depending on the days, but did subside over time. I do still have general anxiety I have to deal with based upon life stresses, but that's normal. The chest tightness lingered the longest. Nothing helped with that, I just had to wait it out day by day unfortunately.

What non-drug techniques were helpful in managing your symptoms? Exercise- I walked or did spin bike rides almost daily. I began therapy. I also meditated daily (app called Insight Timer recommended by my therapist). I practiced cold therapy and Wim Hof breathing techniques as well- the breathing really helps me get in a meditative state and the cold therapy really helped me learn to control my response/reaction to high stress. Cold therapy can be something as quick as taking a cold shower or advanced as an ice bath or cryo chamber- would definitely suggestive researching the benefits (there are a lot).

Hope this helps :) 

@lookingrelief I do think the CBD helped during my state of withdrawal. I used it pretty regularly. I will say I do not use it as much now, only on occasion if I'm feeling overwhelmed. 

@amstrong did you use it for sleep or just for anxiety?  did you ever use CBN?  I have been thinking about getting some and was not sure what to look for. I had an adverse reaction to the Delta 8 gummies as they had THC in them which increases my anxiety.

Thank you for your help

1995 -2008 Zoloft 100-200 mg prescribed by Psychiatrist for depression

5 mg Klonipen prescribed for social anxiety

2008 Zoloft 100 mg Psychiatrist no longer took insurance, started getting Zoloft prescription from OB/GYN

2009 weened myself off of klonipen ( do not know how I did that)

2018 Zoloft 50 mg Weened myself. Getting prescription from new PCP

2020 Zoloft 25 mg weened myself

quit cold turkey mid sept 2020

quit cannibis late June 2021

Aug 2021 Hydroxyzine 25 mg  - for sleep

Withdrawl symptoms: Started Mid June 2021; insomnia, IBS, loss of appetite, cortisol spikes, major anxiety

Suppliments: Seriphos for cortisol spikes, Lactium, Theanine, tryptophan, GABA, Omega 3, Vit B, C

@lookingrelief I used it for anxiety. There is an overwhelming amount of CBD brands out there. Depending on how you take it, I've listed some I've used below. 

For tinctures:

Sisters of the Valley

Lazarus Naturals (very affordable)

For cartridge- smoking cbd:

For the People 

Americana uncut 

*These brands offer uncut cbd, so they have stronger results. You can buy them at a site called purecbdvapors.com 

For pre-rolls:

Plain Jane Hemp

Terpy J's

I have read about CBN, but not tried it yet. Hope this helps xx

• Mentor

Hi @amstrong and congratulations. I noted you had delayed onset of symptoms, which was the same for me, though mine was almost 1 year out before the WD train hit me. 

I wondered if there was a trigger at 6 weeks for you when it all started. For me I saw patterns in early WD that when I needed to perform, I performed. For example I remember being ok at a family wedding, on vacations and actually at work doing presentations, but when I had an easy day, like weekends or the first day back from holiday I got WD bad. In fact the onset of WD ‘proper’ started as soon as I quit my job. It seemed to me my mind/brain knew the days it could take time out and heal (which is what I think WD is - healing). 

just wondered if you had aligned the point of WD starting at 6 weeks out with any seminal event?

wishing you happy healing 

50 mg Sertraline Nov 2016 to Dec 2016

100 mg Sertraline Jan - March 2017

50 mg Sertraline April - June 2017

25 mg Sertraline July 2017 - Sept 2018

12.5 mg Sertraline Oct 2018

0 mg Nov 1 2018

your story gives me Hope. i have been tapering off zoloft since january 2021,  ive been  on zoloft for 30 years now., since 1992. thank you so much !!

Ive been on antidepressants since august 1992. Ive started with 50 mg paxil, then a couple years later went on 50mg celexa. I cant remember the dates because its been 29 years. Ive been on zoloft for many years. Started with 50mg, then after a couple years went to 100mg. Thats where ive stayed till january 2021 when i lowered my dose to 50mg, then weeks later lowered to 25mg, that is where im at now

• Altostrata changed the title to armstrong Medication Free- over a year later Sertraline/Zoloft withdrawal journey SUCCESS (11 years on)
  • 6 months later...

Thank you all for sharing your experiences, it gives me some hope as I am experiencing terrible WD after coming off of 2 years at 25mg of zoloft per day. I've had almost all of the symptoms, but the scariest one over the last few days has been a terrible pressure in the back of my head, like my brain is inflamed and going to burst, followed by a soreness in the back of my head that is tender to the touch. Has this happened anyone? I don't know if it's signs of an aneurysm or something serious, but it's almost making me feel light headed and dizzy, with some waves of nausea. My doctor gave terrible advice when coming off, saying that I was on such a "low" dose (25mg), I only needed to taper for a week, which is what I did. Then the WD hit really hard about a week after my past pill and got worse over 3 weeks. So about 4 days ago I started taking 12.5 mg per day to try and help, so far I don't feel any relief. I want to come off the drugs and I want to feel normal again, but mostly right now, I want to make sure I don't need to go to the hospital because of the inflammation I feel in my head :(

• ChessieCat changed the title to amstrong Medication Free- over a year later Sertraline/Zoloft withdrawal journey SUCCESS (11 years on)
  • 2 months later...

this is great! I’m so happy to hesr you’ve finally recovered and in a better place :) i’m also doing Wim hof but just the breathing exercises. Do you feel like the cold showers helps anxiety too? 

2018 (citalopram 75mg for social anxiety + 75mg Seroquel for sleep)

2021 Jan - tapering down to 50mg citalopram (no reaction)

2021 Feb - tapering down to 25mg citalopram (withdrawal symptoms for weeks and slowly got better)

2021 May - tapered down to 12mg and had HORRIBLE withdrawal

2021 June - went up 3mg and felt slightly better and staying on a 15mg dose until this day

2021 Aug - 2022 Apr - tapered down Seroquel from August 2021 till last dose of 6.25 mg in April 2022. Horrible withdrawal, but slightly improving everyday

Supplements: none