SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Water: Ocean or Pool

Nikki

I spent a few hours at Juno Beach. The water was so clear no matter how far out I went I could see the bottom. The ocean here is blue and carribean green.

In the summer there is a sandbar that stretches from Jupiter Beach south thru Juno Beach. You can walk along the sandbar in ankle high water from one town into the other. It is amazing.

For me, during the worst parts of any WD, a dip in the ocean and/or pool was very refresing and invigorating. It somehow renews my attitude. Showers have a good effect on me too, particularly to shed panic.

I know the sun can have an adverse effect on some. I don't have that.

If you live near the beach, lake,stream or pool take a dip...it really does wonders B) If you are washing your car, wet yourself or at least your feet.

Nikki

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Nikki, how do stand the heat/humidity? I'm in Florida too (inland though), and break into a trembling sweat just going to the mailbox and back. Hate hate hate the summer here. Being a "native" you'd think I'd be accustomed to it, but I get less tolerant of the suffocating heat every year.

Sparrow

2009-2011: tapered off Trazodone, Namenda, Lamictal, Dextroamphetamine, Zyprexa; cold-turkeyed Pristiq; reduced Lexapro dose 50%.
On clonazepam since 2004, 0.5 - 1.0 mg daily PRN. Three failed (too rapid) partial tapers, 2010 - 2011.
Dec. 2011 - March 2013: Tapered off 0.5 mg clonazepam (Klonopin)

August 2013: Switched to liquid escitalopram (Lexapro) and began tapering from 10 mg.

January 2014: 4.5 mg escitalopram

March 2014: One year off benzos

May 2014: 3.0 mg escitalopram

June 2014: severe depression, updosed to 4.0 mg

Sept 1, 2014: 2.7 mg

Dec 7, 2014: Can't get below 2.5 mg without unbearable symptoms. Doing an extended hold (I hope)

March 2015: TWO YEARS POST-BENZO

Sparrow! For some reason I thought you were in the UK! (I'm on mobile, can't see profile). I love Florida; oddly have done far better with humidity than dry desert heat, but that was when I was hypothyroid and had anhydrosis (sic).

What part of Florida are you in? There's definitely something healing about the ocean and positive energy of the water.

B

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

I'm in central Florida, Barb. Come on down...we'll sit on my porch and watch the moon rise over the lake. Then Nikki will take you to the beach.

(As a lifelong Anglophile, I'm really tickled that you thought I was a Brit!)

Sparrow

2009-2011: tapered off Trazodone, Namenda, Lamictal, Dextroamphetamine, Zyprexa; cold-turkeyed Pristiq; reduced Lexapro dose 50%.
On clonazepam since 2004, 0.5 - 1.0 mg daily PRN. Three failed (too rapid) partial tapers, 2010 - 2011.
Dec. 2011 - March 2013: Tapered off 0.5 mg clonazepam (Klonopin)

August 2013: Switched to liquid escitalopram (Lexapro) and began tapering from 10 mg.

January 2014: 4.5 mg escitalopram

March 2014: One year off benzos

May 2014: 3.0 mg escitalopram

June 2014: severe depression, updosed to 4.0 mg

Sept 1, 2014: 2.7 mg

Dec 7, 2014: Can't get below 2.5 mg without unbearable symptoms. Doing an extended hold (I hope)

March 2015: TWO YEARS POST-BENZO

Sparrow my daughter has been in Orlando this weekend and she said she could not take the heat/humidity.

I think we have more of a breeze here by the ocean. We did this weekend. The humidity gets to me too (bad hair days) :o

I live in Jupiter, walking distance from the Beach. This part of Jupiter is a narrow strip of land surrounded by water. The Ocean and Intracoastal Waterway. West Jupiter is a designated Equestrian area (Burt Reynolds has a Ranch there).

Barb I prefer the dry heat. If I could live anywhere....it would be San Francisco.

It is very beautiful here and Palm Beach is a short drive south. Miami is 70 miles south.

I really need a day or weekend trip to Miami (South Beach) for a change of pace.

The Florida Keys which are gorgeous is a long dry. 3-4 hours to Key West.

Hugs

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

• Moderator Emeritus

I live in Jupiter, walking distance from the Beach. This part of Jupiter is a narrow strip of land surrounded by water. The Ocean and Intracoastal Waterway. West Jupiter is a designated Equestrian area (Burt Reynolds has a Ranch there).

Barb I prefer the dry heat. If I could live anywhere....it would be San Francisco.

It is very beautiful here and Palm Beach is a short drive south. Miami is 70 miles south.

I really need a day or weekend trip to Miami (South Beach) for a change of pace.

The Florida Keys which are gorgeous is a long dry. 3-4 hours to Key West.

Hugs

Nikki, it sounds absolutely beautiful. For the two winters I spent in Fl, I was on the conservative west coast, just inland from Gasparilla Island. I went crazy, no one in the condo where I lived to talk to.. ACH! I so wanted to be on the east/ocean coast. What a crazy country these days, no? Hope you enjoy your daughter's visit.~S

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Off topic, but ... last summer when I 'ran away', I found an adorable Best Western built around a central courtyard with pool, big glider swing, aviary. I stayed there for a few weeks just to have human interaction with staff and other longer term guests. I think they catered to people moving in and out of area.

Scottsdale was NOT pleasant in July-August, though!

LOVE Lauderdale and Intracoastal Waterway. Spent some time in South Beach but had meeting to attend. Have never been to Keys, but would love to. I have some Parrothead in me.

Yes, I could handle Florida. :)

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Want to plan a Pool Party for Labor Day weekend - Day trip to Miami.

I have had alot of Pool Parties on July 4th, Memorial Day, Labor Day. So much fun. Not so much swimming - alot of eating. Everyone brings a dish. So nice to taste different recipes.

Didn't do it the last two years. Need to get back into the swing of things once again.

I make the ribs ;)

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

This summer is absolutely killing me. I used to love summer, especially holiday weekends at the lake. Watching fireworks from the beach or boat. Moved to SoCal and had running joke with cousin because we tried for a few years to see good fireworks and inevitably got blocked view, so we decided "to just LISTEN to the fireworks". ;)

• 1 year later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I'm bumping this because I am going to be very brave today and go to the pool for swimming lessons.

I can swim but not very well and can only do breast stroke which is not that great with arthritis. 

Pre-meds I would swim a half mile  3 times a week  and always spent a lot of time in the pool on

holiday. 

When I started to be ill and was medicated I couldn't swim but still loved the pool. I would go in there

and just float on my back, the sun would come through the glass roof and the water sparkled.

I was under tremendous stress at that time and when thoughts of what was going on popped into

my head I shoved them right back out, telling them "NOT IN HERE" . Occasionally I said it out loud

and must have appeared a bit odd!  That time was MINE it was daytime when the kids were in school

and it was very quiet, and I loved it. Sadly the medication madness took over, I was hospitalised 

and lost the motivation to go. 

So today I start to learn some new strokes, and even if I can't master it I am going to start using the pool

again to get out of the house, it can only be good, water is therapeutic. I went just once when I was feeling

withdrawal and it was good, I need to do it regularly and get some benefit from it. 

Does anyone else find the swimming pool good in withdrawal? 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy