camino: Want to stop Trazodone

camino

Hello, I need some help please. I am on Trazodone since March and tapering slowly. I am down to approximately  20 mgs , cutting by hand  so I  suppose doses are not accurate I feel dreadful all the time, not functioning.  My head feels spaced out for months now and I have terrible tinnitus which started 3 weeks after I started the Trazodone. I don't know if this is because of the Trazodone or not. I've lost over 10 KGS since March when I first started taking it for anxiety, 50 mgs which is a low dose I know. Can someone help please.

Edited by arbor

1990 - 1999 Prothiaden antidepressant.  

Nothing after that until this year.

3/3/21  prescibed Trazodone 50 mg  for anxiety. Prescribed Xanax but rarely take it.

No other medication.

Took 50mgs for 2months until May 21. Such a short time!!!

Gradual Cut to 35mgs approx during June/ July. Too quick I now realise.

Symptoms have been severe  brain fog, tinnitus, unreal feelings,spaced out, tearfulness, agitation inside, moments of sheer and utter despair and what's the point of anything feeling so ill all the time!

Lost 10 kgms, no appetite at all.

Now 16/9/21 taking 18 mg approximately. Cutting by shaving off tablet. This latest cut was 1 week ago on 13th sept 21. Felt awful 3 days later but  feel stable now. Will stay on this for now.

• arbor changed the title to camino: Want to stop Trazodone
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello @camino

Welcome to SA.

To get you started and to give you pertinent information, could you summarize your medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in a vertical list format.  

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

I'm sorry that you're experiencing these symptoms as you you taper off Trazadone.  Tinnitus is, unfortunately, a common side effect of these drugs.  Have your symptoms changed since you started Trazadone?  Have they intensified or shown any improvement since you began to taper off? Are you taking any other drugs or herbs as well?  How are you doing with your sleep?  Once you've finished your signature, I can share your situation with the other moderators, so that we can help you figure out your best plan from here.

We don't recommend many supplements, but 3 that we do recommend are magnesium, omega-3, and melatonin. Here are the links for info about those.   It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

Melatonin

These links can help us understand some of what we're dealing with:

What is Withdrawal Syndrome?

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

Symptoms can be challenging.  I encourage you to browse in the symptoms and self care section which include a wealth of information and discussion among other members.  As for the tinnitus, it is a common symptom of these drugs and their withdrawal.  People report that very slowly, as the nervous system heals, the tinnitus fades and disappears.  You may be interested in reading the success stories.  They give those of us still recovering, hope--

Recovery Success Stories

This is your Introduction site where you can ask questions, record your experience, and connect with other members.

I'm glad you've found us. 

Arbor

Zoloft: 1995 - 2015

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

Enalapril: 2010 - 2019

Lipitor: 2017 -2017

Metformin: 2000 - 2020

Liothyronine: 2007 - 2019

Levothyroxine: 2000 - 2022

camino: Trazodone - tinnitus and feeling spaced out

Does anyone have this problem too?  My life has become blighted by these symptoms. Feel like I'm in a bubble, surreal. Cannot function normally. Just want my life back. Will it get better when I have stopped ? Can't cope much more

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging 2 Intro topics

3/3/21  prescibed Trazodone 50 mg  for anxiety. Prescribed Xanax but rarely take it.

No other medication.

Symptoms have been severe  brain fog, tinnitus, unreal feelings,spaced out, tearfulness, agitation inside, moments of sheer and utter despair and what's the point of anything feeling so ill all the time!

Now 16/9/21 taking 18 mg approximately. Cutting by shaving off tablet. This latest cut was 1 week ago on 13th sept 21. Felt awful 3 days later but  feel stable now. Will stay on this for now.

• ChessieCat changed the title to camino: Trazodone - tinnitus and feeling spaced out
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a peer owned and run forum of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.  You have come to the right place.  Thank you for putting your drug history in your signature. 

Here is some information about how these drugs actually work.

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

What is Happening in Your Brain

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Tapering is best done extremely slowly, and we generally taper by 10% of the current dose no more than once every 4 weeks, so that the taper becomes exponentially smaller.  Perhaps you are having these symptoms due to a too fast taper.  Can you please give us more details in your signature about dates, as best you can remember, when you made the dose reductions, and what each dosage was?  It could also be that since you are shaving off bits of the tablet, you are getting inconsistent dosing from day to day, which can cause symptoms.  The following links will help you with tapering in the future.  

Why Taper by 10% of my Dosage  

Tips for Tapering Trazodone

My suggestion would be to hold on your current dose until you feel stable, then resume a very cautious gradual taper. 

Also, as we are recovering, we suggest keeping things slow, simple, and stable. 

Keep it Simple, Slow, and Stable

Considerations About Stability - Stop Jumping Around

These are common symptoms of withdrawal: 

Dr Joseph Glenmullen Withdrawal Symptom Checklist 

It sounds as though you are experiencing depersonalization/derealization.  That is a classic symptom of psych drug withdrawal.  What other symptoms are you having? Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

We don't suggest many supplements, but 2 that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

I've given you quite a bit of information here.  Please read through it, and mull it over, and we will take it from there. In the meantime, take care of yourself, and take heart.  We in this forum have been through this, and we understand first hand the pain and discomfort you are going through.  Please know that the brain is amazing in it's healing abilities.  It takes time, but healing can and will happen. 

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

Thank you so much for your reply. Especially helpful to know about depersonalisation/ derealization being a classic  withdrawal  symptoms. I thought I was going  mad and felt I will never be my " normal" self again. shall update my signature and read the information x

No other medication.

• Moderator Emeritus

Sounds good. Let us know when you feel stable and we can discuss your taper.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

@camino yes! I totally understand how you feel. Was there 2017. Felt like I was in hell. Was on and off AD for years. For some reason this particular time I got off Jan 2017, it was different. March 2017 it hit. Started getting tinnitus, didn’t know why? Dr prescribed steroids (which I now know it makes me suicidal) weird I know. AD withdrawal gave me horrible anxiety and steroids made me super low. It was a horrible week. Got off steroids and that part slowly got better. Got back on AD’s and things slowly started getting better. 
On and off several time since then. Never knew why I was getting anxiety so bad. But now I understand. Started my taper in January and things are sooo much better. 
hang in there! things will be better!!!

2005-2020 diff AD for trouble sleeping, switched multiple times. 

2020 Dec Escitalopram 10 mg

2021 Jan 10 mg -start BMS taper w/2 wk hold

2022 March 3.63 mg

2022 July 2.65 mg

2022 November 1.96 mg

2023 February 1.48 mg

2023 August .90 mg

.25mg Melatonin (as needed)

Thank you for your comments. I can  cope a bit better knowing hopefully  these horrible feelings will pass. I'm living for that day. Was on these tablets  for such a short time when I decided I wanted to get off them, it's horrifying to think they have such effects.  I hope you are continuing to feel better each day.

No other medication.

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, camino said:

I can  cope a bit better knowing hopefully  these horrible feelings will pass.

I'm glad you know that they will pass.  It's very gradual and takes a long time, but healing will happen.  

Drug sig says "Now 16/9/21 taking 18 mg approximately. Cutting by shaving off tablet."

Please try to take a precise dose at the same time each and every day, to allow nervous system stability.  Read "Tips for Tapering Trazodone" in my first post for practical info on how to do this.  

Edited by getofflex

Hello, 

Tapering Trazodone after a short time on them (march)

I am finding I always feel worse" horrible " about 4- 6pm most days. My symptoms of just feeling " ill"  are worse for a few hours around this time.  I have read about the half life of drugs and wondered could it be to do with the drug residue from the tapered dose I take at night, usually 10 pm leaving my system.

No other medication.

• Administrator

Hello, @camino Please put questions about your particular situation in this topic.

What are the symptoms you feel in the evening? How's your sleep?

Has your symptom pattern changed in the last week?

How often are you reducing? At ~18mg trazodone, with your method, you might be experiencing some variation in dosing that is having an effect. Is there a way for you to measure your dose more precisely?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

14 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Hello, @camino Please put questions about your particular situation in this topic.

What are the symptoms you feel in the evening? How's your sleep?

Has your symptom pattern changed in the last week?

How often are you reducing? At ~18mg trazodone, with your method, you might be experiencing some variation in dosing that is having an effect. Is there a way for you to measure your dose more precisely?

Hello Altostrata,

my symptoms have been the same for many weeks. Around 3-5 in afternoon I feel some irritability and agitation. Feel horrible, hopeless, difficult to describe,  also headache. Have these symptoms at other times but are more noticeable in afternoon.

I can get off to sleep after an hour or so but wake up a few hours later and struggle to get back to sleep. I reduced to 18 mgs  2 weeks ago  ( 13/ 9/21)  and will wait another 2 weeks before I cut again.

I need to cut more precisely as doing it by eye and tablet is small now.

No other medication.

• Administrator
5 hours ago, camino said:

Around 3-5 in afternoon I feel some irritability and agitation. Feel horrible, hopeless, difficult to describe,  also headache.

Has this been occurring as long as you've been taking trazodone? If not, when did this pattern appear?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hello Altostrara,

Didnt notice at first when prescibed. Had foggy feeling from the start though and tinnitus 3 weeks after starting .

I noticed the unease and inner unrest feelings  around May. I think I had cut down then. Still get these feelings now.

No other medication.

• Administrator

Have you had tinnitus as long as you've taken trazodone? Did this change after you reduced the dose?

Hello Altostrata, 

I never had any tinnitus until 3 weeks after starting the Trazodone. It is constant and debilitating and there has been no change since.  I hope it will go when I am off this awful drug.

No other medication.

• Administrator

Yes, I think the increase of symptoms in the afternoon may be from the prior night's trazodone. It creates an active metabolite, mCPP, that may have unpleasant effects.

What effect does a dose of trazodone have shortly after you take it? At what point does it make you sleepy?

Hello Altostrata,

Thankyou for your replies.

I usually feel slightly  sleepy after 30 minutes or so but usually wake up a few hours later in the dark if the night unable to get back to sleep. Can't wait to be free of these.

No other medication.

• Administrator

I'm afraid gradual tapering is the only way you can go to address the drug's adverse effects.

You might be better off with micro-tapering, but reducing your taper rate may be tricky since you can't tell how fast you've been tapering with the method you've been using. You'd have to guess.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thankyou for this info. May be the way to go for me.

No other medication.

• Moderator Emeritus

camino created 2 Introduction topics.  They have now been merged.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

I have moved the following post to the existing topic about chest pain.  Please click on the arrow top right of the quote box and it will take you to that topic:

10 hours ago, camino said:

Costochondritis worsened

Hello,

Have costochondritis but lately it has become even more painful. Could this be heightened sensitivity during tapering. I am microtapering trazadone down  to approx 16mgs?

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• 1 month later...
On 9/29/2021 at 2:14 PM, camino said:

I usually feel slightly  sleepy after 30 minutes or so but usually wake up a few hours later in the dark if the night unable to get back to sleep. Can't wait to be free of these.

I am in the process of starting to taper Trazodone. I am curious, do you take the medication with a light snack? This was me until I discovered in the instructions for the drug that it should be taken with food. I went from waking after 3hrs to sleeping 7.5hrs. Mind you I had been taking the drug without food for 1.4yrs with no issue. Not sure why I suddenly had reduced sleep.

3/27/2020 12.5-25mg of Trazodone

6/28/2021 Cold Turkey Trazodone 

7/21-9/21  - Trazodone 25mg PRN

9/25/2021 Magnesium glycinate 200mg

10/21 -12/1/2021- Magnesium glycinate 250mg - worked briefly

11/24/2021 - 18mg Trazodone - planning taper

12/1/2021 - 2/21/2022 - 7.7mg Trazodone - less side effects

1/17/2022-2/3/2022 Mag Malate 200mg - could not sense an effect

2/4/2022- 2/8/2022 Mag Carbonate 1/2 teaspoon - chill affect - constipation and stomach cramps

Current medications: 1.6MG Trazodone, Atomoxetine 10mg 2009 - present.

Hi, I used to eat about 7pm so still probably had some food in stomach which should slow down absorption. I am on tiny amount  now approx 8 mgs. Been microtapering. Having horrible time with withdrawal symptoms on these last few tapers as bad as when I was on 20mgs and more.

No other medication.

So sorry to hear. I wish I had advice that might help you. Just know that you are not alone 🙂

I just ordered a mg scale so I can measure my doses more accurately. I had awful withdrawal after 2 mos of cutting Trazodone cold turkey so  went back on it this month. My current dose is around 14mg to 18mg. Once I have the scale I can keep it more consistent. When I get to smaller doses I will probably need to have my doctor send prescriptions to a compounding pharmacy.

2/4/2022- 2/8/2022 Mag Carbonate 1/2 teaspoon - chill affect - constipation and stomach cramps

That's the best way I'm  sure. The low dose is causing me as many symptoms as when I first started tapering. Just need to get through this. Hope it goes better for you.

No other medication.

I just got my mg scale and it appears 3mg is working so far, to keep me sleeping deeply at night without the next day drowsiness. fingers crossed it keeps working!

• 2 weeks later...

New bladder and female symptoms

I have been micro tapering from Trazodone. Have continued to have horrible feelings throughout although I've have had some better days too which gives me hope. I am now  down to the last few mgs of Trazodone but the last few weeks have been experiencing discomfort in my bladder and female parts. There is no urinary infection and had an examination by Dr who  said all looked normal. I have been using lignocain cream for this area. I've read about pgad on other posts. What I feel is not that exactly the same   but feel swollen at times and painful.

I still suffer tinnitus which is so waring and depressing. I'm so near the end but this drug just keeps on giving me horrors. 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic

No other medication.

12 hours ago, camino said:

I've read about pgad on other posts. What I feel is not that exactly the same   but feel swollen at times and painful.

I’m sorry you are experiencing this. I have heard that pgad can manifest in different ways. Some people use temperature to help depending on where the pain is. Like an heat or ice pack. I’m glad you got something to help with it.

new symptoms are awful uninvited guests. I hope you see improvement.

Current: Bupropion 450mg, Neurontin 800mg, Klonopin 0.5mg

History:

July 2020: started Cogentin 1mg, Lamictal 50mg, Zoloft 150mg, Zyprexa 5mg (+5mg as needed), Klonopin 0.5mg

November 2020: stopped all meds cold-turkey

February 2021: started Latuda 60mg, Lithium 300mg, Melatonin 5mg, Protonix 40mg, Topamax 25mg

2 weeks later: stopped Topamax, increased Lithium 900mg, started Klonopin 1mg, Lexapro 20mg, Neurontin 400mg

April 2021: started Bupropion 150mg, Revia ?mg

May 2021: stopped ReviaProtonixLexaproincreased Neurontin 800mg, started Celexa 10mg

August 2021: decreased Celexa 5mg (stopped Celexa 2 weeks later), increased Bupropion 300mg

September 2021: increased Latuda 80mg

October 2021: decreased Lithium 600mg for 4 daysLithium 300mg for 4 daysstopped LithiumLatuda

increased Bupropion 450mg, started Remeron 15mg, decreased Remeron 7.5mg, stopped Remeron

yes it isnt all the time thankfully. Other symptoms have lessened, for example the brain fog and spaced out feelings. i still feel agitation at times too a few days aftef a  cut. just need to decide when to actually stop now.

No other medication.

Always a good sign to see lessening of symptoms. Even better when they leave. I hope your taper goes smoothly. I see in your signature that you don’t have an appetite either. I hope it comes back to you soon. Wishing the best.

Current: Bupropion 450mg, Neurontin 800mg, Klonopin 0.5mg

History:

July 2020: started Cogentin 1mg, Lamictal 50mg, Zoloft 150mg, Zyprexa 5mg (+5mg as needed), Klonopin 0.5mg

November 2020: stopped all meds cold-turkey

February 2021: started Latuda 60mg, Lithium 300mg, Melatonin 5mg, Protonix 40mg, Topamax 25mg

2 weeks later: stopped Topamax, increased Lithium 900mg, started Klonopin 1mg, Lexapro 20mg, Neurontin 400mg

April 2021: started Bupropion 150mg, Revia ?mg

May 2021: stopped ReviaProtonixLexaproincreased Neurontin 800mg, started Celexa 10mg

August 2021: decreased Celexa 5mg (stopped Celexa 2 weeks later), increased Bupropion 300mg

September 2021: increased Latuda 80mg

October 2021: decreased Lithium 600mg for 4 daysLithium 300mg for 4 daysstopped LithiumLatuda

increased Bupropion 450mg, started Remeron 15mg, decreased Remeron 7.5mg, stopped Remeron

Hello, yes some go ,others appear. My appetite is better now. I had  also been on several courses  of antibiotics back in July/Aug which didn't help. Lost 10 kgs. Have managed to put back  on 4kgs. I hope to be off this vile drug after Christmas. Thankyou for your  comments.  Regards.

No other medication.

• 4 weeks later...

horrendous nausea

I am on about 5 mgs of Trazodone now after micro tapering. Have had horrible symptoms coming and going all along except for the odd day. Not experienced nausea until now! Have been waking in the night with it and getting it really badly in day too. Couldnt face food yesterday. Is this the withdrawals last grip on me because its quite debilitating and I just think what's next to come on the never ending list of symptoms !

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic

No other medication.

• Moderator Emeritus

Please post a list of the doses and that date that you reduced the doses of Trazadone.

Generally withdrawal symptoms are a sign that you are reducing too quickly and /or too soon after the last reduction.

However, because you are shaving off parts of the tablet it might be caused by inconsistent dosing. 

Q:  Are you weighing your tablets?

Hello ChessieCat,

I haven't  been weighing the tablet only shaving off bits. The piece is very small now and have estimated amount of micro taper all along. 30th December was a minute shave. Is it still possible with such minute cuts or minute inconsistencies to feel so horrible?

I guess I am in the 5/7 mgs but can't be sure. The nausea just starts seemingly at random times, ie mid morning after walking, not after eating anything and lasts most of the day. Seems to subside in the evening. Had this for a week or more and am so miserable. My quality of life has been poor for a long time now. My closest family  member in whom I confide is losing patience with all my symptoms  and says just stop taking it and get it over with! Too scared to do that.

No other medication.