camino: Want to stop Trazodone

camino

Hi @camino

Have your symptoms gotten worse since Dec 30? As ChessieCat says, it might be inconsistent dosing or it might be that you reduced too quickly and need to stabilize. I suggest getting a scale so you can be sure of what dose you are taking. Perhaps take 7mg every day for a few weeks before tapering further.

Tips for tapering off trazodone (Desyrel)

Edited by Kiasofia
Added link

These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I have learned, not medical advice.

Drug history

2002-2019 Citalopram/Escitalopram, Lamictal
2019 April Escitalopram, quit at 10mg (withdrawal), Oct Escitalopram 10mg reinstated, quit after a few days (adverse reaction)

2019 Oct Lamictal cut from 200mg to 100mg
2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

2020 Aug-Nov Lamictal tapered to 50 mg

2020 Nov 24 Lithium taper started, 30 Jan off Lithium

2021 15. March-31. May Lamictal tapered to 32.5 mg (holding)

2022 10. Jan started taking 25mg+5mg+2mg+0.5 liquid, 22. Jan went back to taking 25mg+5mg+half 5mg

• Administrator
On 12/19/2021 at 1:45 AM, camino said:

I hope to be off this vile drug after Christmas.

Since you posted this on December 19, it seems you intended to go off 18mg (?) in a week or two. Ordinarily, we would say this is too fast.

Since you experienced withdrawal symptoms before, you're probably aware that you went off too fast again. You probably also know that the likeliest remedy is to updose slightly. Otherwise, you'd stay at the same dose you're taking now and cope with withdrawal symptoms until they go away. 

Since you joined in September, the staff has given you many tips to avoid withdrawal. You might re-read this topic and consider whether they might work better for you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you for your replies. I guess my micro tapering has been done by eye and probably erratic, not sure of exact dose.

It was wishful thinking and  impossible  to get off by Christmas.  Suppose I just want to try and reassure myself these symptoms are from withdrawal and nothing else. I'll cope with them better if I could be sure they are  caused by withdrawing.  My Sister  who I have confided in,  lives in U.K. I went to stay with her for 3 months last September when I was feeling so unwell. Had various blood tests, a scan, all normal. I am back in my own home now. I Don't live in the U.K. I don't have anyone  to talk to here and although I am learning the language, I don't feel I can talk to my  Dr. He didn't recognise that the tinnitus  I have could be caused by the Trazodone. 

I'm just frightened by new symptoms.

1990 - 1999 Prothiaden antidepressant.  

Nothing after that until this year.

3/3/21  prescibed Trazodone 50 mg  for anxiety. Prescribed Xanax but rarely take it.

No other medication.

Took 50mgs for 2months until May 21. Such a short time!!!

Gradual Cut to 35mgs approx during June/ July. Too quick I now realise.

Symptoms have been severe  brain fog, tinnitus, unreal feelings,spaced out, tearfulness, agitation inside, moments of sheer and utter despair and what's the point of anything feeling so ill all the time!

Lost 10 kgms, no appetite at all.

Now 16/9/21 taking 18 mg approximately. Cutting by shaving off tablet. This latest cut was 1 week ago on 13th sept 21. Felt awful 3 days later but  feel stable now. Will stay on this for now.

• Administrator

Nobody seems to like withdrawal symptoms.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.