DauntlessScholar: Introduction - came off Pristiq January 2021 after being on it 20 years

DauntlessScholar

Hi Guys,

I came off antidepressants (Pristiq) 100 mgs - in January this year. I had been on them for 20 years. I am going okay. I had withdrawal symptoms for months. I used CBD oil and spent time in the sun. Diet and exercise. Avoided alcohol. I am still struggling with residual depression and fatigue and stomach upsets. Both otherwise going okay.

• ChessieCat changed the title to DauntlessScholar: Introduction - came off Pristiq January 2021 after being on it 20 years
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a peer owned and run forum of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.  Congratulations for getting off Pristiq!  That is a major accomplishment.  Did you go off all at once without tapering (cold turkey)?  I'm glad to hear most of your symptoms have gone away.  How is your sleep?   

Can you please give us specific information about your drug history for all drugs you are on and have been on, especially for the past 18-24 months?  It would be especially helpful to have the details of your drugs in a concise vertical list (no symptoms), only drug names, specific dates (as best you can say for example early March if you don't recall the day) and dosages of each medication decrease or increase.  Please read the link below for instructions.  This will allow us to give you the best guidance.  

How to List Drug History in Signature

Here is some information about how these drugs actually work.

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

What is Happening in Your Brain

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Also, as we are recovering, we suggest keeping things slow, simple, and stable. 

Keep it Simple, Slow, and Stable

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

We don't suggest many supplements, but 2 that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

I've given you quite a bit of information here.  You may find some useful non drug coping techniques to help you with the remaining depression.  Here are a couple of links that may help:

Neuro Emotions

Emotional Spirals

Please keep in touch, and let us know how you are doing!  I'm glad you found us. 

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

Hi Guys, the only other medication I am on is Thyroxine for hyperthyroidism. That's all I have been on for years. Along with 100 mgs of Pristiq. I used CBD oil to taper off Pristiq and also tried some Green Kratom. Got lots of sunlight, exercise, vitamins. My sleep is okay at present. Sometimes my sleep is unsettled as I have had other financial stresses here but otherwise good.

• Moderator Emeritus

It sounds like you are doing very well, especially for having cold turkeyed off Pristiq.  Read my links above about magnesium, and omega 3 and give those a try for your residual symptoms.  Also, see the link above for non drug coping skills.  Hang in there, your system sounds like it is still healing, and you will continue to see gradual improvements.   Do let us know how you are doing. 

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly