NardilTime: Desperate for guidance

NardilTime

Hello everyone. I have spent the past two decades on Effexor and the past year on Nardil. I have now completely stopped all medication and I am having overwhelming anxiety that subsides by the evening. Very consistent intrusive rumination on unreasonable fears that increases the anxiety to unfathomable levels. I started taking the medication very young, but I’ve never experienced anxiety like this. I had steady and debilitating withdrawal while coming off the Nardil, but not anxiety. Is this still withdrawal or is this just my underlying condition? I really do not want to go back on medication, but I can’t hold out indefinitely. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. 

2000 - 2020 - Effexor 250 mg

November 2020 began Nardil 60 mg

reduced Nardil from January 2021 to August 2021 to 0 mg. Drug free. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to NardilTime: Desperate for guidance
  • Administrator

Welcome @NardilTime

When did you last take Nardil?  What was your tapering method? At what dose did you quit? What was your original Nardil dosage?

That intense anxiety is a withdrawal symptom; rumination and unreasonable fears may be related to withdrawal, too.

Do you have any Nardil left? Is it a tablet?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Altostrata, thank you for your response. Here’s a quick rundown of my drug history. I was on Paxil briefly as a teenager but I took it irregularly. In my early twenties I started Effexor and was put all the way up to the maximum dosage which I believe was 750mg. I stayed there for a few years then in my late twenties went down to 250mg. I stayed there until this past November when, at the age of 42, my doctor switched me to Nardil. So I was on Effexor for around 20 years. I did a few drug switches during that time after being hospitalized twice, but they were short and I always returned to Effexor. I was on Nardil 60mg for about two months and I knew I had no future on these drugs so I started to taper with a new doctor who is supportive. I was on three pills so I started by eliminating a half a pill. No problem. Then another half a pill, a little withdrawal, but short lasting. Then another half a pill and the major withdrawal started. I became very sick. I then went down by a quarter of a pill every two weeks. I finished the taper in late August so I’ve been off about six weeks. The extreme anxiety that I had last week has subsided but I still feel pretty sick most days. I’ve tried to exercise but I notice that the next day I am worse. Doing well with anxiety and rumination at the moment but I have virtually no energy, feel sick, and have some mild depression. I’m terrified at how long this will last given how long I have been on these drugs, but I will never under any circumstances go back on them. Any help or guidance is appreciated. I’m a pretty healthy guy, I do not drink or smoke, and my diet is fair (not great not horrible). I am not obese. Thank you. 

• Administrator

Did you switch directly from Effexor to Nardil? How did you feel in the 2 months you were taking Nardil?

You have withdrawal syndrome. Fortunately, it seems to be improving a little.

To help us out, follow these instructions Please summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Yes I went directly from Effexor to Nardil. I felt very energetic on Nardil but I also found it very difficult to talk to people. I just felt very off. It was obvious I was drugged. I will complete my drug and withdrawal history. I also had a bad wave today. It seems to be happening at least once a week where I have virtual breakdowns. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello - just a quick update. Most of the withdrawal symptoms that I had become accustomed to disappeared about a week ago but I have now been hit with an overwhelming wave of severe depression. I’ve seldom felt depression this strong. Is this another wave of withdrawal? It’s very terrifying. 

Now I’m definitely feeling some new physical stuff but it’s different than it was before. Very exhausting. All I want to do is sleep. 

Now I feel very physically sick. Almost like I’ve got the flu. I thought I was through this but I guess nobody escapes that easy. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I have now been off the drugs for close to three months and I have extreme depression. I can barely get out of bed. Most of the other symptoms have gone away, like the nausea, but I’m in a horrible horrible place. I have zero energy to do anything. Is this still withdrawal or am I suffering from an underlying condition? Please respond, thank you.  

Please, I know you are volunteers and busy, but I’m really suffering. Could somebody please respond? Thank you. 

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry about your suffering. It is true that these drugs don't cure anything. They mask the symptoms. You are likely still suffering from withdrawal and will continue to improve over the coming months. At best you will feel like you did before the meds. That will be the time to practice new coping mechanisms that treat the underlying issues. If i were in your position, I would avoid nardil as often winds up being a lifetime prescription and tends to poop out with some. 

I was on nardil for 30 yrs. off now for 2 years and in much worse shape than before i started nardil. It's a powerful drug that makes you feel bullet proof but also screws up your judgement on many levels. You need to address the real human issues in your life. It's hard but really the only way. 

• 1992-2020-Nardil altered between 45 and 60 mgs
  • March 2020 fast 1 month taper from 45 mg to zero
  • July 2020 Venlafaxine xr 37.5 for 2 days-kindled stopped
  • August 2020 Sertraline 25 mg for 2 days kindled stopped
  • two weeks later nardil 3.5 mg for 5 days kindled stopped
  • Tried to reinstate nardil  3 more times over next 3 months @ 3.5 mg. Always kindled
  • October 2020 seroquel low dose one night for sleep no thanks
  • February 2021 clonazepam .25 mg. intermittently for 6 weeks total of 6 tablets used
  • Quit caffeine drinking decaf
  • Smoking half a pack to a full pack a day
  • currently taking no supplements as have cause kindling in the past
  • currently take no meds letting my nervous system stabilize
  • Trialed 15 mg. nardil daily for 3 days stopped 11/18/2021

Hi phenylbot, thank you for responding. I’ve actually been following your posts since we both were on Nardil. I agree, it made me feel amazing but at the same time “not real”. Hard to explain it to someone who hasn’t been on that drug. I’m so sorry you are suffering so badly. I’ve actually seen some improvement lately but I’m still definitely a little “off”. Having bad depressive episodes but I’m getting help. How are you doing today? Hope you’re getting at least some small windows of peace. 

hi @nardiltime, Yes I think you should run from this drug. It does in fact make a person feel better but so does cocaine. Facebook support groups have many people who've been on it for decades and suffer extremely when the drug is un-available. i've been doing poorly with not a window of relief. My once nice life is gone and everyday is misery. If I could get back on nardil I would but the anxiety I experience with a tiny dose is excruciating. I'd never have touched the stuff had i known it would lead to this. I'm still alive though and I think that with your short time on you'd be best to stay off. Drugs are not the answer. Thanks for your interest.

• 1992-2020-Nardil altered between 45 and 60 mgs
  • March 2020 fast 1 month taper from 45 mg to zero
  • July 2020 Venlafaxine xr 37.5 for 2 days-kindled stopped
  • August 2020 Sertraline 25 mg for 2 days kindled stopped
  • two weeks later nardil 3.5 mg for 5 days kindled stopped
  • Tried to reinstate nardil  3 more times over next 3 months @ 3.5 mg. Always kindled
  • October 2020 seroquel low dose one night for sleep no thanks
  • February 2021 clonazepam .25 mg. intermittently for 6 weeks total of 6 tablets used
  • Quit caffeine drinking decaf
  • Smoking half a pack to a full pack a day
  • currently taking no supplements as have cause kindling in the past
  • currently take no meds letting my nervous system stabilize
  • Trialed 15 mg. nardil daily for 3 days stopped 11/18/2021

Yes I was on Effexor for a very long time and it has done untold damage to my life. I will never take another antidepressant as long as I live. A lot of the physical stuff has gone away. Not sure if I’m in a window or if this is it. But I’m still having lots of psychological and emotional problems. I really feel like my emotional development has been stunted by the use of these drugs. At 43 I’m not sure how much of a future that leaves for me. I’m hopeful but the lonely life these drugs have left me with makes it hard to stave off depression.