Cross Over: Changing form (eg tablet to liquid) of drug OR changing brand of same drug

ChessieCat

• Moderator Emeritus
ChessieCat

I use the term "cross over" for changing FORM of drug.

The term "cross taper" is used when changing to a different drug which is also know as "bridging".  

PLEASE NOTE: 

The method being described in this topic is for changing FORM of drug. 

It is NOT about how to do a cross taper or bridge to a different drug. 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sometimes it is necessary or desirable to change form of drug OR change brand/generic of drug.

When this happens it is a good idea to do a cross over, eg to change from tablet to liquid, brand to a generic, one generic to a different generic.  This is more gentle on your nervous system.

Note:  It is a good idea not to leave getting your prescription filled until the last minute just in case there is a change in the brand/generic you can get.  This way you will still have a few of the old drug to at least do some form of cross over.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

Only make one change at a time.  That is, if you are splitting your dose DO NOT make a dose reduction/increase, add/stop supplement, change brand or form of drug etc at the same time you are splitting your dose.

Try to measure your dose as accurately and consistently as possible.

To do a cross over you would take the following combinations for 3 to 7 days or longer if needed:

3/4 old form of drug (eg tablet) + 1/4 new form of drug (eg liquid)

1/2 + 1/2

1/4 + 3/4

Sometimes it is difficult to get the doses you need to do the cross over but you might be able to do:

2/3 old form + 1/3 new form

1/2 + 1/2

1/3 + 2/3

Please note that there are no hard and fast rules about how to do this.  Observe your symptoms and if needed stay on a combination for longer.

NOTE:  If you notice a worsening of your symptoms that you think is related to the new form of the drug it would be better to go back to the old form of the drug if possible.

Edited by ChessieCat
added extra info

So close to the end!!!

🏁

Current from 16 October 2021:  Pristiq 0.005mg

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering Oct 2015 

My full tapering program     My Intro (goes to my tapering graph)    My website

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Cross Over: Changing form (eg tablet to liquid) of drug OR changing brand of same drug
  • Moderator Emeritus
ChessieCat

I hope that this topic is helpful for SA members.

So close to the end!!!

🏁

Current from 16 October 2021:  Pristiq 0.005mg

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering Oct 2015 

My full tapering program     My Intro (goes to my tapering graph)    My website

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes @ChessieCat, it is helpful. Thanks. Just heard my pharmacy is having trouble getting my usual brand. Fortunately I keep 12 weeks in hand for such times. Hopefully within that time they will get the usual brand, if not, in 8 weeks I’ll do a switch @25% a week. 

Important petition calling for tapering strips in the UK  - please sign
Mirtazepine 15mg Nov 2018 -April 2019

April - Sept 2019 Mirtazepine 7.5

October 2019 - about 4 Nov 6mg Mirtazepine 

4-13 Nov anxiety & sleep problems caused by change of brand & jumping around with doses

13 Nov 2019 to 7 Dec 2019 10mg Mirtazepine 

8-10 Dec 2019 15mg Mirtazepine 

11 Dec 2019 to date 12.5mg Mirtazepine 

15 December 2019 to 13 June 2021 15mg Mirtazepine 

14 June 2021 started brass monkey Slide.  
23 August 2021 12.3mg

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy