Tinnited: Remeron, Trazodone and Tinnitus

Tinnited

Hello all,

Very worried and anxious here, as I started suddenly having tinnitus around three weeks ago on September 7, which is distressing me quite a lot.

The short story: I had been taking Trazodone 50mg occasionally for insomnia (2 x 50mg, one at bedtime and one during night) since mid-July, when a stressful event occured on top of more stressful events.

Trazodone wasn't being effective at calming my anxiety. I started Remeron on Aug 15, which then worked wonders for my sleep and anxiety.

Main stressful event resolved on Aug 25.

I started slowing down Remeron on Aug 30 by taking 7.5mg doses every 2 days -. I had taken some alcohol on September 5 in the evening, I was told it could increase Remeron side effects such as drowsiness but it didn't have much effect then, and it was on a night where I skipped Remeron. 

Tinnitus started on September 7, in the form of noticeable hyperacusis in left ear. I also felt like I had a cold, some shivers, but that was mostly it.

I stopped Remeron completely that day.

Started worrying more on September 8 where I went to see my family doctor and also ENT, as tinnitus symptoms at night were intense (louder when I shifted posititons). 

Hyperracusis resolved, but changed to constant tinnitus. Around September 9-10 I was told to start Trazodone again 50mg x 2 (one at bedtime, one during the night, for a total 100mg). Tinnitus symptoms seemed to stabilize, but it was just an impression. 

Cut down trazodone to 50mg per night on Sept. 22, which I am still taking to this day.

I'm also afraid I might have a case of serotonin syndrome, but am not experiencing any of the symptoms describing the condition, other than the tinnitus — which I think is not even related to serotonin syndrome.

I'm wondering if the tinnitus is exacerbated by the Trazodone I'm taking. I have very low hyperacusis during daytime, but intense tinnitus if waking up at night. I started feeling anxious at the thought of napping or going to bed in the evening. Had to eventually request a work leave because the stress of having permanent tinnitus is completely scaring me into anxiety. 

I feel like my doctor has prescribed Remeron without warning me about possible trazodone interactions, tapering, etc. and my pharmacist didn't think much of possible interactions or side-effects of switching anti-depressants as fast as I did. 

Please be careful in your answers here as I'm very scared of not being able to cope with this tinnitus situation, I'm just hoping it resolves through two hypotheses:

a) Maybe tapering down Trazodone will help in and of itself, or

b) Once Trazodone is tapered down, should I reinstate Remeron and taper down more slowly, hoping Tinnitus stops?

Please help me feel reassured about tinnitus and medication, either with your experience or knowledge. I understand none of this is medical advice — I will see my family doctor again on Oct 5. 

Thanks

July 12, 2021: Was taking Trazodone 50mg on occasion, trying to cope with insomnia, light anxiety after stressful even

August 15 2021: Started Remeron 15mg as Trazodone doesn't really do anything. Weaned off Trazondone a few days before starting, no more than what the pharmacist recommended.

August 30 2021: I decide Remeron is not required anymore as stressful event subsides, I decide to wean off by myself since it's only been 15 days. I take 7.5 mg every two days until September 6.

September 6: Last day of Remeron 7.5mg. Tinnitus starts.

September 15: Back on Trazodone  2 x 50mg each night.

October 4: Stopped Trazodone after tapering over 1 week. Tinnitus now lighter, but still there. Unsure what my baseline level was.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Tinnited: Remeron, Trazodone and Tinnitus
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello @Tinnited

Welcome to SA.

I'm sorry you're going through tinnitus.  Many of us on the site, as you might've read, can commiserate, as this is a common symptom of withdrawal off psycho-drugs.  I'm encouraged that your hyperacusis has improved this quickly.  The good news is that tinnitus does tend to fade and go away, but each person being different, we don't know how long that will take.  Patience and avoiding stress are important as anxiety makes tinnitus worse.

Tinnitus: What does all that noise mean?

Brain Remodelling 

To get you started and to give you pertinent information, could you summarize your medication history in a signature – only drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in a vertical list format.  

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Here are some links to help you with communicating to your doctors.  The second one, recently published by Alto, the founder of SA, and other links you find helpful on the site, you can send to your doctors:

How to talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

What I have learnt from helping thousands of ... - PubMed

On 9/30/2021 at 12:50 AM, Tinnited said:

Please help me feel reassured about tinnitus and medication, either with your experience or knowledge.

When you have finished your signature, I can share your questions with the other moderators to advise you further with your medication questions.   In reference to your questions, have you seen these links?

Tips for tapering off trazodone (Desyrel)

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

About reinstating and stabilizing to stop withdrawal symptoms

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

This is your Introduction site where you can ask questions, report your progress, and connect with other members.

I'm glad you've found us. 

Arbor

Zoloft: 1995 - 2015

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

Enalapril: 2010 - 2019

Lipitor: 2017 -2017

Metformin: 2000 - 2020

Liothyronine: 2007 - 2019

Levothyroxine: 2000 - 2022

Thank you for your help.

I’ve seen my doctor on oct 5 but she doesn’t seem preoccupied by the possibility of my tinnitus being induced by just two weeks of Remeron (mirtazapine). 
I wish I could believe this, but tinnitus came as being so new in my life with no prior ear/ neurological problems, I can’t bring myself to believe it came out of nowhere.

What’s also surprising to me is that it came only two weeks of 15mg daily doses for sleep. I can’t believe such a short time could mess me up the way it did (IF, that is, mirtazapine is the real culprit).

Nevertheless, my anxiety has spiked since getting tinnitus. It is acting unpredictability and so it’s hard to adapt to. Some days it’s crickets in the back of my head, they sound like the tinnitus is receding, and then another night comes and bam 💥 it starts again, taking me down the amxiety path again. I was leading a happy and healthy life before it declared, and right now I find myself struck with managing daily symptoms, fighting off anxiety, my insomnia has worsened and my situation makes everyday a struggle. I don’t want my quality of life to go down any further, I want to fight this. But I’m sad about tinnitus suddenly coming into my life and I need therapy to cope.

I’ve tried reinststing 3.75mg for two days, but felt it was making the tinnitus worse so I stopped. I have been taking a little Ativan every two days (for 5 days) recently to help cope with anxiety when it’s peaking, but my stress levels peak on the day I’m not taking it, and so is my tinnitus. I don’t want to take additional drugs and want to fight this naturally, but it’s really, really hard. I need any help, moral support or tips you can give me, any experience you had with tinnitus recovery to help me win over this.

Thank you.

July 12, 2021: Was taking Trazodone 50mg on occasion, trying to cope with insomnia, light anxiety after stressful even

August 15 2021: Started Remeron 15mg as Trazodone doesn't really do anything. Weaned off Trazondone a few days before starting, no more than what the pharmacist recommended.

August 30 2021: I decide Remeron is not required anymore as stressful event subsides, I decide to wean off by myself since it's only been 15 days. I take 7.5 mg every two days until September 6.

October 4: Stopped Trazodone after tapering over 1 week. Tinnitus now lighter, but still there. Unsure what my baseline level was.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi @Tinnited

I'm sorry that your doctor isn't listening.  What you're going through is probably harder than most people can ever imagine.  Meanwhile, it's worse than a shame that we have doctors who don't know how to listen.  I'm very sorry for your suffering right now.  For what it's worth, I can share that your symptoms will improve, even if you never take another drug.  Ativan can help you cope in the short run, but I tend to be suspicious of its effect on the long run.  Therefore, I recommend accepting how truly difficult withdrawal is, and concentrating on the self care section of the forum.  If/when you are feeling the neuro-emotions very strongly, please reach out.  I will have my eye out for you.

symptoms and self care

Neuro-emotions 

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

My tinnitus has finally begun to improve.  It's not gone, but it's much better.  I don't know whether trying the supplement of the amino acid, taurine, will help or not.  I use it.  Here is a study that supports its use for tinnitus.  

The Effect of Supplemental Dietary Taurine on Tinnitus and ...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov › articles › PMC2997922

by TJ Brozoski · 2010 · Cited by 40 — Three main effects were obtained: (1) The high taurine dose significantly attenuated tinnitus, which returned to near pre-treatment levels ...

Please know I'm thinking of you, and hold the future day of your recovery in my heart.

Arbor

Zoloft: 1995 - 2015

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

Enalapril: 2010 - 2019

Lipitor: 2017 -2017

Metformin: 2000 - 2020

Liothyronine: 2007 - 2019

Levothyroxine: 2000 - 2022

• 3 weeks later...

Venlaflaxine for 5 days

Hello again,

I took Venlaflaxine (Effexor XR) for 5 days on my doctor's recommendation to treat anxiety. I find myself unable to deal with the initial onset of anxiety spike that happens with taking Effexor, it completely handicaps my ability to relax and take care of myself, eat or sleep adequately. I will talk to my doctor this morning and to a pharmacist, but I'm afraid they'll tell me I can stop cold turkey since I haven't been taking it for long.

What would be your insights or suggestions for an adequate taper, even if I just took it 5 days?

Thank you.

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic