SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

LotusRising

I was offered various prescriptions for antidepressants in my early 20's, but the side effects were terrible and nothing helped with the generalized anxiety and social anxiety I experienced. I took ativan on and off for 10 years, though there's been large stretches where I didn't take it all. I knew it wasn't good to taken ativan, but since I wasn't taking it every day, I presumed I was avoiding physical dependence. 

After taking time off work for children, I had recently returned and felt it worth trying medication one more time, to avoid taking ativan. I began Buspar March 2 - started at 2.5mg and titrated up to 45mg over 4 months, but at this dose I began having numbness in my legs, uncomfortable head rushes, and pins and needles everywhere. At the advice of my doctor, I tapered down over 2 months (until end of July) - although my doctor said I could taper even faster.  Started on Wellbutrin Aug 2 and took it for 5 days and quit cold turkey, as per my doctor, due to side effects like Raynaud's and numbness to hands on waking, extreme head rushes and pins/needles. Lastly, started mirtazapine 7.5mg on August 18. Took for 7 days, but it caused panic attacks and I started having chest pains. I ended up titrating down for 7 days, although again, my doctor said I could just quit. So here I am about 1 month with no drugs. I had panic attacks almost every day for two weeks. I have pins/needles in my head in the evenings and I still wake with a part of my hand or fingers having gone numb. The panic attacks are difficult to control and I have chest tightness most days. On the days when I cannot get them under control with breathing and/or meditation, I take lorazepam. In the last two weeks, I am also having weird fluttering/vibrations across my chest when I sleep at night, causing me to have short bouts of anxiety and shortness of breath.  The side effects have been so bad, I have not been able to work for the past month. So, as of this morning, I have just restarted buspar at 1.25mg to see if this helps to curb the side effects. I am hoping the reinstatement will not make things worse. But one of my questions is - Buspar has a relatively short half life - so should I be taking 1.25mg again this evening, or just waiting to take it in the morning again.

Edited by LotusRising

2003-2009 on and off various SSRI's for short periods, Ativan prn

2010-2011 Ativan, up to 1.5mg/day - tapered off without issue

2013-2021 ativan 1-1.5mg 10-12x/month, daily starting Oct 21 to help with buspar WD

2016 - Effexor 75mg, short-term

2021 Mar -Jun Buspar ADR at high dose, tapered 3 months

2021 Aug Wellbutrin 150mg for 5 days (ADR), then MIrtazapine 7.5mg for 7 days (ADR)

Oct 22/21 - Direct switch ativan to clonazepam (don't do this)

Tapered clonaz Oct/21 - Apr/23 0.25mg - 0mg!

Supplements: omega-3, mag-glycinate, vitamin D

"Believe that your tragedies, your losses, your sorrows, your hurt, happened for you, not to you. And I bless the thing that broke you down and cracked you open, because the world needs you open" - Rebecca Campbell

*** Disclaimer: Please note, my suggestions/comments are based on my own personal experiences. Please consult a knowledgeable practitioner to discuss decisions regarding your medical care *** 

*** Please do not send me PM's ***

Welcome to SA, 

I am sorry you are suffering so badly. Those panic attacks and chest issues sound awful. Why don't you try to split the 1.25 dose in two and take half in the morning and half at night? I wouldn't start at a higher dose since you already dropped it because of side effects and it has been a while since you came off of it. How are you measuring the dosage? If you take it for a few days (i.e. no side effects and some improvements) it will be important to dose it precisely either through a very sensitive scale or by dissolving in water. Check out the tapering thread for Buspar specific tips. 

By the way, why did you decide to restart Buspar rather than the drug from which you came off last? 

If you haven't had a look yet, please check out these threads. They will explain what is happening and what to expect. 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants 

What is happening in your brain? - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants  (my favorite thread)

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

This might help with reinstatement questions: 

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

And this is how to taper down (after a sufficient hold) if the reinstatement works

Why taper by 10% of my dosage? - Tapering - Surviving Antidepressants

Why taper? SERT transporter occupancy studies show importance of gradual change in plasma concentration - Tapering - Surviving Antidepressants

A few threads to help cope with emotional symptoms

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

And finally, the success stories to give you some hope that this does end, albeit after quite a while. 

Success stories: Recovery from psychiatric drug withdrawal - Surviving Antidepressants

Also, participating on other people's threads really helps build a support network here, so go ahead and mingle if you can :)

omw

Edited by LotusRising

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

Hello @Onmyway

Thank you for your response.

I will definitely try splitting the 1.25mg into two doses. I have been using a pill cutter, so it is not precise, but I do also have a scale that may work. 

I decided to go with Buspar because the last drug I came off, mirtazapine, gave me chest pains and caused panic attacks within days of starting it. Buspar seemed like a safer bet as I had no side effects when I started it initially.

I have read through some of the above offered info. Will continue to do so. I did notice a reduction in pins/needles within about 2 hours of taking the buspar today, so perhaps I'm on the right track. I will try splitting the dose tomorrow.

Thanks again

Edited by LotusRising

2013-2021 ativan 1-1.5mg 10-12x/month, daily starting Oct 21 to help with buspar WD

2021 Aug Wellbutrin 150mg for 5 days (ADR), then MIrtazapine 7.5mg for 7 days (ADR)

"Believe that your tragedies, your losses, your sorrows, your hurt, happened for you, not to you. And I bless the thing that broke you down and cracked you open, because the world needs you open" - Rebecca Campbell

*** Disclaimer: Please note, my suggestions/comments are based on my own personal experiences. Please consult a knowledgeable practitioner to discuss decisions regarding your medical care *** 

Oh, that's encouraging. I would stay at this dose for a few days until you feel the full effect. 

Tips for tapering off buspirone (Buspar) - Tapering - Surviving Antidepressants

This has tips on how to measure/cut/dissolve etc. 

Good luck

Edited by LotusRising

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Hi @Onmyway 

So, I have some other questions now that this is my second day.

I took 1.25mg of buspar yesterday morning - I had thought I felt some relief from the pins/needles and they did not return for the remainder of the day.

Today, I split the dose so I've only taken 0.625mg this a.m. A couple hours after taking it I noticed pins/needles have returned, so I'm assuming this may be tied to taking the buspar? I also had a mild uptick in anxiety, but this passed. I've read through all the info about reinstatement, but it still seems unclear if this means that reinstatement is not working? And should I still be taking the next split dose of 0.625mg this evening? I'm mostly worried about doing more harm than good and if I stop the reinstatement now, is there a greater chance that I will have an increase in symptoms?

Thanks in advance,

Edited by LotusRising

Hi, 

So, in comparing your symptoms before reinstatement (so Wed/Thu) does it look like you are seeing improvement? Or is it getting worse?

From what you have written I understand that some symptoms have improved (pins/needles). Was the anxiety you felt today worse than what you felt before the reinstatement? If not, I'd continue with the half dose tonight.

As you know the drug will take some time before it reaches its full concentration. If things continue to get better or stay the same we usually wait for 4 days or a week. If there is an immediate adverse effect or things get worse gradually over that time, we can stop.

It seems like you are tolerating this well and possibly seeing benefits as well. Let's hope that it continues the same way.

Try not to worry and anticipate bad things but keep observing.

Good luck and do update us how things are going.

OMW

Edited by LotusRising

Hi @Onmyway,

Compared to Wed/Thurs, the pins and needles are worse today. Before reinstatement, they were occurring primarily in the evenings. Today, they started after I took the dose of buspar and are now on/off. My anxiety is the same, though it tends to increase with any new symptom I have.

When I originally took Buspar and was up to 45mg, I had an episode of numbness to my legs, tinnitus and rushing sensations in my head, so I wonder if this could happen as it reaches full concentration? I was never really stabilized on Buspar to begin with.

Sorry for so many questions. I feel like my body is on hyper-alert with any new symptom I have and I've been running quite anxious since stopping all meds a month ago.

Edited by LotusRising

If I feel like reinstatement is making my symptoms worse after two days, can I just stop, or do I need to taper?

The reason I tried reinstating is because of the following withdrawal symptoms: pins and needles in my head, vibration across my chest, mostly when I'm going to sleep, hand numbness when waking and electrical zap sensations in my heart/chest. I have anxiety, sometimes panic, and I can sometimes manage this.

I have only just started reinstating, but already have an increase in pins/needles, ear pressure/throbbing sensation and I've noticed an uptick in my anxiety over the course of the day. Is this me readjusting to the med, or should I just be stopping the reinstatement?

• Administrator

Hello,

How often have you taken Ativan in the last 2 weeks? Was there a period when you took it every day?

Buspar has a half-life of only a few hours. Most likely, you are metabolizing the smaller doses so fast, the effect wears off quickly.

The relief of pins-and-needles, which you may have identified as a Buspar withdrawal symptom, with low-dose reinstatement suggests many of your symptoms may be Buspar withdrawal.

If I were you, I'd choose one time to take 1.25mg busipirone and give it several days to get a clearer idea of its effect. Please keep daily notes of times o’clock you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. We need to know how you feel before and after taking each drug, and your symptoms in between. Post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, in a simple list format with time o’clock on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right. This can show if your symptoms are adverse effects from one of your drugs.

It appears 45mg buspirone was too much for you. However, the Ativan use is a potential confounder.

Edited by LotusRising

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi @Altostrata

I have taken ativan 3 times over the last 2 weeks. I have taken ativan on and off for many years and not had any difficulty with side effects the following day.

The pins and needles I was experiencing before reinstatement always occurred in the evening and only on my scalp, which I presumed to be related to buspar withdrawal as I have been feeling them for many weeks. The pins and needles I'm feeling today started 2 hours after I took the 0.625mg of buspar and have continued on and off into the afternoon. They are also more widespread - hands, face, lips - the way I felt when starting buspar back in March. It is my understanding that these symptoms should lessen and not increase with reinstatement. Is that correct? It makes me wonder if I should just ride out the initial withdrawal symptoms instead of worrying about new ones from reinstating the medication. Will I make things worse if I stop after only two days of reinstating?

Thanks in advance,

Edited by LotusRising

• Administrator

I may have misunderstood. The pins and needles occur after you take Buspar? They are not relieved by taking Buspar?

If they occur regularly after you take Buspar, they are an adverse effect of Buspar. I do not think reinstatement of Buspar is an answer for you.

In fact, it appears you have a tendency to have adverse reactions from psychiatric drugs. This may be related to nervous system sensitization because of a long history of going on and off drugs. There may be a period when you had benzo withdrawal or paradoxical reaction but mistook it for a panic attack.

Are you taking any other drugs? Do you drink alcohol? Have you taken an antibiotic recently?

I think it's possible you are not presently in a situation of of withdrawal syndrome, but iatrogenic nervous system destabilization. Is your work environment pressured?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hi @Altostrata,

Yes, reinstatement of Buspar is definitely not for me. I took 0.625mg for two days in a row first thing in the morning. Yesterday evening, the pins and needles appeared all over my body and my body temp went up, along with my HR and BP. Maybe serotonin syndrome? It was definitely not a panic attack, as I have had those and am able to breathe through them. Regardless, I had to call an ambulance, as I had no idea what was happening and I did not take the buspar today. Now that I've taken it for two days, should I expect to see more symptoms?

I am not taking other drugs. I take ativan as needed for situational anxiety. I have not drank any alcohol for 2 weeks and I have not had antibiotics in over 10 years.

So, is my best case scenario just to wait out the symptoms I'm feeling - anxiety, inner chest vibrations, chest pains? 

Would a general detox work, or do you think this mag aggravate things.

Thanks for your feedback

Edited by LotusRising

• Administrator

My guess is you're allergic to buspirone.

If you had neurological instability because of a history of going on and off drugs and possible periods of withdrawal symptoms (mistaken for anxiety), drinking a little alcohol or even a course of antibiotics might bring on a resurgence of symptoms.

My intuition is that there's something drug-related happening with you, perhaps rooted in an extended adverse effect of buspirone all the time you were taking it. This can cause that instability as well, your system is still struggling to recover. You may have to wait it out.

I would not detox, that can be harsh on a fragile system. Have you noticed any unusual reactions to foods?

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see

https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

Please let us know how you're doing.

Hi @Altostrata

No, I haven't noticed any reactions to foods. I have been eating a gluten-free, sugar free and dairy free diet for the last two weeks to reduce inflammation in my body. I'm hoping this will help to keep the symptoms at a minimum. And yes, magnesium and fish oils have been a part of my diet for many years, so I suspect they are not making things worse at this point.

Has anyone have a sudden onset of a skin disorder? When I stopped my medication, I had a huge flare up of eczema all over my hands - never had eczema before in my life!

Hi ,

After stopping citalopram, I had red spots in my torso and back for about 5 months for no apparent reason ,as checked by dermatologist. 

Eventually got away and didn't return!

Regards 

Citalopram 20 mg

Mid June 1994- end March 1995 Then tapering 3 months 

Mid August 1995-end August 1996 Tapering 6 months 

Mid January 2000-end September 2001 Tapering 6 months

Mid October 2003-end October 2005 Tapering 7 years. 

More detailed drug history is here - ☼-kostas

Off any drug from October 2012 

• Administrator

See Symptoms and Self-Care forum for discussions of symptoms.

Hi @Altostrata and anyone who has advice to give,

I am almost 6 wks since stopping meds and 8 days after trying a 2 day reinstatement of buspar, which as noted above, caused a huge flare of symptoms. I was initially getting multiple panic attacks a day for about 5 days, but over the last few days they seem to be decreasing in intensity and episodes. I have been practicing breathing and relaxing techniques multiples times a day, but I was still needing ativan at night, as my anxiety is worse in the evenings. In total, I have taken ativan 1.5mg for 9 days in a row, but would like to try going a day without it. How would you suggest going about this? I'm of course concerned about withdrawal, as I am still experiencing many withdrawal symptoms from buspar. I was previously only taking ativan for situational anxiety, never daily and at most about 10 -12 times/month. 

Thank you for any advice,

Edited by LotusRising

• Administrator

That those surges of symptoms are abating indicates they were withdrawal-related, as that is typical of withdrawal symptoms.

If you've been taking Ativan once at night, it is possible that evening anxiety is interdose withdrawal from Ativan. You may already be physiologically dependent on it. Cold turkey is not a good idea. @Frogie will help you to make a drug schedule so you can go off Ativan without stirring up withdrawal again.

Edited by LotusRising

Hi,

Could you tell me how much Ativan you’re taking and at what time(s)?

I’d be happy to help you with some information.

Take care,

Frogie xx 

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Hi @Frogie,

Thanks so much for your time.

I am currently taking 1.5mg of ativan, sublingual, between 5 and 7pm each night. I have been doing this for the last 9 days, but was taking it, as needed, for situational anxiety prior to that (approximately 10-12 times/month). It is helping with the anxiety I am getting from the buspar withdrawal, but at the same time, I am concerned about being on it for a longer period of time.

Any insight, schedules, etc, would be helpful.

Again, thank you so much :)

MedRN

• Administrator

When did the regular evening anxiety start? 

Please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. We need to know how you feel before and after taking each drug, and your symptoms in between. Post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, in a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right. This can show if your symptoms are adverse effects from one of your drugs.

@altostrata,

The evening anxiety began 2 days after trying to reinstate the buspar. Prior to retrying the buspar, I was not having evening anxiety. I will keep more detailed notes tomorrow with times and post.

• Administrator

The evening anxiety began on October 10? And you've been taking Ativan daily since October 7?

@altostrata

According to the notes I've been taking, it looks as though I had a panic attack in the morning on October 7 and took ativan for it. This is the first day of reinstatement of 0.625mg of buspar. October 8th was the second day I took the same amount of buspar when I had the really scary reaction and didn't take it again. Since then, all symptoms have worsened, including anxiety. The anxiety was initially present at random times of day, but is now occurring 2-3 times a day. I mostly continued to take ativan in the evenings because I was worried about waking with anxiety or not being able to sleep.

• Administrator

What was the really scary reaction?

I suspect you might have been having Ativan interdose symptoms October 7, based on intermittent Ativan use in the the prior week, and your current symptoms are also due to physiological dependency on Ativan. This would not be unusual when we see someone with benzos in their history. Your daily notes will verify this, or not.

Edited by LotusRising

@altostrata

I took 0.625mg fo buspar for two days in a row, first thing in the morning. I noticed a mild uptick in my anxiety on the first day. On the evening of the second day, the pins and needles became very intense, occurring all over my body and my scalp felt like it was burning. My body temp went up, along with my HR (140) and BP and I flushed in parts of my body. Maybe serotonin reaction? It did not feel like any panic attack I had ever know before. It was scary enough that I called an ambulance. And I didn't take buspar again.

I'll post my notes for the next 24 hrs.

Please do the notes that @Altostratahas requested and then we can set up a schedule for you. 😊

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

Here's my 24hr notes @Altostrata and @Frogie

October 16

7:15pm - took 1.5mgSL ativan (I did not have anxiety at this time, it is just the time I have been taking it for the last 10 days)

9:30pm - into bed, fell asleep right away

October 17

1:00a.m. - woke up with anxiety I would rate at 2/10, used breathing to calm

3:00a.m. - woke again with anxiety at 2/10, used breathing to calm

5:30a.m. - woke again with anxiety at 2/10, used breathing again to calm

7:00a.m.- out of bed and anxiety noticeably heightened, up to 5 or 6/10, breathing to calm

9:15a.m. - small surge of anxiety again, mild tinnitus, very emotional (crying), some nausea

10:15a.m. - tingling/burning to scalp and tingling in toes

11:00a.m. - 12:30 - slow surge of anxiety with chest tightening and some scalp tingling, used breathing to calm

2:30p.m. - chest vibrations/tremors, short in duration (only about 2-3mins)

4:00p.m. - surge of restlessness/anxiety/chest tightening, scalp tingling, breathing exercise to calm

5:00p.m. - felt chest starting to tighten slightly, but the feeling passed

6:15p.m. - current time and still have some tingling, and also some ear pressure/pain - both these symptoms have been increasing in the evening the last 3 days. No current anxiety.

I have been getting 2-3 surges of anxiety per day. This was happening before reinstatement and before I was using ativan every day. According to my notes, I had only taken ativan 2 times in the week prior to trying reinstatement. After trying to reinstate buspar for 2 days, all of the above symptoms worsened.

I would like to be able to swtich ativan over to daytime, but not sure if this is possible, nor sure of how or if it is worth tapering right now. I can't say for sure that the anxiety I'm having between doses is specifically related to ativan, as the surges were already happening before taking ativan for 10 days straight. But, perhaps you guys will see something that I'm not :)

What are your thoughts?

And thanks again for all your help. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your insights. 

Just adding, I did have another surge of restlessness, tingling, anxiety at about 745. 

• Administrator

It's possible you had an adverse reaction to buspirone as well. 

Do these symptoms become more or less intense as the day progresses?

Was this before or after you took your nightly Ativan? Are you taking it at the same time every night?

Edited by LotusRising

@Altostrata

The symptoms tend to worsen as the day goes by, especially into the evening. Does this mean something?

I took my Ativan 45 mins later than usual. I thought the later time might help me sleep through the night better. 

Anyway, that did not work, as I woke up at 1130pm with racing heartbeat, nausea and more scalp burning. 

And just to confirm, this could have been an adverse reaction to buspirone, even though I did not have the same reaction the first time I tried it back in March?

• Administrator

Please take Ativan at the same time each day, and continue to post daily notes.

It is possible that you had an adverse reaction to buspirone. You also had a recent history of psychotropic drug changes and adverse reactions. What we've seen here is that going on and off psychiatric drugs and adverse drug reactions cause the nervous system to become progressively more sensitive to other drugs, such as your adverse reaction to mirtazapine. It's possible your earlier drug history set you up for a hypersensivity reaction to buspirone in October.

When people are taking benzodiazepines, we frequently see adverse effects such as interdose withdrawal and paradoxical reactions. If your nervous system is already sensitized, you might start displaying these reactions to a benzodiazepine very soon in regular benzo dosing.

We cannot differentiate what drug is causing what from the symptoms, because it's all happening in the same nervous system. The reactions are not compartmentalized. You might have started with symptoms arising from buspirone but they're now aggravated by adverse benzo effects.

This may be a paradoxical reaction to the Ativan when it reached peak plasma. It's very common for clinicians to mistake adverse reactions to benzos for the condition they're trying to treat.

What we're after is to verify this hypothesis by looking at your daily notes. Frogie probably will guide you in taking your daily Ativan in split doses 12 hours apart to prevent interdose withdrawal and still help you sleep. This probably will make you more comfortable and set up a stable situation for eventually tapering Ativan. We do this all the time.

Edited by LotusRising

@Altostrata would it make sense to start splitting the dose today? I had lot's of anxiety overnight, and lots this morning on waking, so I'm assuming that this would be interdose withdrawal, as I was not originally having difficulty sleeping at initial reinstatement. It feels a long way off to wait until this evening to take ativan, when I am barely functioning through the day as it is.

Also, what you said about paradoxical reactions scares me and I'd prefer to prevent this sooner rather than later.

5 hours ago, Altostrata said:

you might start displaying these reactions to a benzodiazepine very soon in regular benzo dosing.

@Altostratawhen you say this, do you mean the current dosing of once a day?

@MedRN

You can take your Ativan during the day. What needs to be done is getting your doses evenly spaced throughout the day/evening. Take .5 mg of your dose and move it up 1 hour each day until you get to the time you want to take it. For example: if you take 1.5 mg at 7:00 pm, start taking .5 mg at 6:00 pm. Then the next day, 5:00 pm, and so forth until you get it to 7:00 am. I would space out the next dose out about 6 hours. So you would take .5 mg and and start taking it 1 hour earlier each day as you did the 1st dose until you get it 6 hours from the morning dose. Then take the 3rd dose of .5 mg 6 hours after the 2nd dose you take during the day. That may mean taking it 1 hour later each evening until you get to the 6 hour time. You can pick your times to do this to meet your own schedule. I just used these times as examples.

If you have any questions, please tag me so I get the notification and can help you.

I hope this helps.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Sorry @Frogie, I am confused and I got a little ahead of myself when I heard back from @altostrata. She had thought you might have me split the dose with 12 hours in between. I started this morning by taking .75mg at 0700a.m., which is twelve hours since my last evening dose, Can you please tell me what I should do now, or have I already messed this up? This day is already off to a bad start and concentrating and figuring this stuff out is challenging right now..

Sorry for getting ahead, I was just anxious to get this going.