dipeshk: Pristiq messed up my life - persistent withdrawal symptoms after stopping (6+ months)

dipeshk

Hi folks, I took Pristiq (50mg and 100mg) from February through September 2020 (based on my Dr.  recommendation)but I wasn't noticing any positive changes.

In Sept, I (along with my Dr) decided to stop Pristiq and did a 2 week 50mg taper (side by side start a new medication Trentellix). 

I noticed after 2 weeks of stopping Pristiq I was getting mild micro seizures / hypnic jerks while trying to sleep with my head shaking / involuntary movement. 

Fast forward to February 2021 it still wasnt going away so I tried low dose Effexor and that didn't help either as I was getting essential tremor. 

After reading online and my Dr. being of no help, I decided that maybe I need to taper of Pristiq more slowly so I decided to jump back on it again and the Dr. recommended I do 1 day on and 1 day off. However this time I was getting severe insomnia and severe hypnic jerks. I then decided to take it everyday but cut/shave off the tablets instead however the insomnia and jerks persisted. Since the side effects were intolerable this time, I decided to stop taking it completely after March (only 1 month). 

It has been now 6+ months after stopping and I still have severe insomnia and frequent hypnic jerks while trying to sleep. Its almost like my brain hasn't adapted to me stopping Pristiq. 

I spoke with a psychiatrist and he recommends that I now see a neurologist along with trying Remeron. I initially took Pristiq and various other meds (with no withdrawals) for anxiety, panic attacks and persistent depression. 

Any inputs? Am I screwed for life?

2018-2019 - Wellbutrin, Cymbalta, Cipralex
2020 - Pristiq (rapid taper - protracted withdrawal insomnia and myoclonic sleep jerks)
2021 - March re-instated Pristiq at original dosage instead of minimal dosage - protracted symptoms worsened

2021 - Zopiclone, Doxepin, Clonazepam to treat protracted symptoms (insomnia and myoclonic jerks

1/05/2022: severe withdrawals from Clonazepam (panic attacks insomnia). Originally thought my anxiety/depression were getting worse. Dr put me on Lexapro 10mg

1/24/2022: Found addictions psychiatrist to put me on benzo taper

1/27/2022: Decided to rapid taper Lexapro on my own to 5mg. Experiencing slight involuntary jaw movement and hand tremor

2/7/2022: Tapering Lexapro 10mg (10% 2-4 weeks) side by side tapering Benzo (switch from clonazepam to valium 15mg)

3/11/2022: Slow tapering Lexapro and currently on 6.5mg. Tapering Diazepam 11mg

Still experiencing side effects from Lexapro (involuntary jaw movement and hand tremor). Pristiq protracted withdrawal myoclonic sleep jerks (of the head)

• dipeshk changed the title to dipeshk: Pristiq messed up my life - dealing with persistent withdrawal symptoms after stopping (6+ months)
  • Administrator

Welcome, @dipeshk

Tapering an antidepressant by skipping doses is a good way to provoke withdrawal symptoms. It's very probable that you are suffering protracted withdrawal syndrome from going off Pristiq in such an irregular fashion.

Your doctor was remiss in recommending this method and then ignoring your withdrawal symptoms. You might find a new doctor.

Sometimes taking a very low dose of the same drug again can help relieve withdrawal syndrome. Pristiq is a hard tablet that is difficult to titrate, but venlafaxine (Effexor) is a sibling drug that may substitute.

Are you able to get the type of Effexor that is a capsule filled with tiny beads? Even 3 beads may work.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 months later...

Hi thanks for your reply. I did try effexor 37.5mg but I noticed I get a tremor from it. Would it better to try another SSRI/SNRI to counteract the effects of pristiq withdrawal? 

I am afraid of making things worse

Regards

2020 - Pristiq (rapid taper - protracted withdrawal insomnia and myoclonic sleep jerks)
2021 - March re-instated Pristiq at original dosage instead of minimal dosage - protracted symptoms worsened

2021 - Zopiclone, Doxepin, Clonazepam to treat protracted symptoms (insomnia and myoclonic jerks

1/05/2022: severe withdrawals from Clonazepam (panic attacks insomnia). Originally thought my anxiety/depression were getting worse. Dr put me on Lexapro 10mg

1/27/2022: Decided to rapid taper Lexapro on my own to 5mg. Experiencing slight involuntary jaw movement and hand tremor

2/7/2022: Tapering Lexapro 10mg (10% 2-4 weeks) side by side tapering Benzo (switch from clonazepam to valium 15mg)

Still experiencing side effects from Lexapro (involuntary jaw movement and hand tremor). Pristiq protracted withdrawal myoclonic sleep jerks (of the head)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi there dipeshk,

When did you try the 37.5 mg of Effexor?  And then for how long?

Could you work on a Signature for us please:

How to summarize your drug history in your signature?

Get the dates in there, of these trials you've done.  I'm confused as to whether you just tried Effexor 37.5 mg, or if that was clear back last February.

We often have members try reinstatements at doses much less than what you tried.  Here's the topic:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Also see:  What is withdrawal syndrome?

The windows and waves pattern of stabilization

Are you taking anything now?

And how are you doing?  Symptoms now?  Functioning?

I assure you, you are not screwed for life dipeshk.  I think you are suffering WD, like most members here and possibly your doctors don't have a clue.

Welcome aboard,

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2021 at 5:05 PM, manymoretodays said:

Hi there dipeshk,

When did you try the 37.5 mg of Effexor?  And then for how long? (In December 2020 and only for 2 weeks - sorry not February as mentioned in my above post)

Could you work on a Signature for us please: (Done)

Get the dates in there, of these trials you've done.  I'm confused as to whether you just tried Effexor 37.5 mg, or if that was clear back last February. (Done - I tried the effexor 37.5 back in December for 2 weeks but stopped due to essential tremor)

We often have members try reinstatements at doses much less than what you tried.  Here's the topic: (Thanks, I will read the topic. I tried reinstating back in March (every other day) but that made my symptoms worse)

Are you taking anything now? (Lexapro)

Not doing too good. The hypnic jerks are getting worse and causing me panic attacks. I am not functioning at all due to severe anxiety when trying to sleep. I am having to go on short term disability at work. 

I assure you, you are not screwed for life dipeshk.  I think you are suffering WD, like most members here and possibly your doctors don't have a clue.

Welcome aboard,

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi dipeshk,

I'm just reading your responses now.  I can get rid of the post that says delete.  I justed copied your responses and that above quote here too.  And then, of course, more questions below the copy with your response.  I put dashed lines where the copy starts and ends.  I'm happy if you just would like to use the option to just do a partial quote, and then answer below it.  Or notify me, when you reply with just answers to questions.  You just use the @ button and then start to type in my full user name, and you'll see my user name and can then click on it.  That's a notification.

Either way.......better than full quote, with answers in there, as I have to pull it down to read everything.......it just get's awkward.

---------------------------

Hi there dipeshk,

When did you try the 37.5 mg of Effexor?  And then for how long? (In December 2020 and only for 2 weeks - sorry not February as mentioned in my above post)

Get the dates in there, of these trials you've done.  I'm confused as to whether you just tried Effexor 37.5 mg, or if that was clear back last February. (Done - I tried the effexor 37.5 back in December for 2 weeks but stopped due to essential tremor)

We often have members try reinstatements at doses much less than what you tried.  Here's the topic: (Thanks, I will read the topic. I tried reinstating back in March (every other day) but that made my symptoms worse)

Not doing too good. The hypnic jerks are getting worse and causing me panic attacks. I am not functioning at all due to severe anxiety when trying to sleep. I am having to go on short term disability at work. 

---------------------------------------

Thank you on the signature.  It's not unusual to feel a bit confused and/or cognitively impaired when in WD or even sometimes from adverse effects of drugs too.  Just so you know that.  And also know it gets better too.  It's not permanent, it wasn't for me.......  Keep the hope.

Thank you, and copy that on the Effexor.

What dose of Lexapro are you on now?  When exactly did you start it this month?  Day, date?

Why did you start it?

Has it helped with anything?

And oh shoot, on you aren't doing well right now.  How are the essential tremors you mention?

Stupid hypnic jerks!!  And panic and severe anxiety.  Decent though, I mean it is, that you at least get short term disability now.  And I'm sure that does add to your distress though too. 

I'm going to stop there.  I can help you find some links to symptoms and non-drug coping, if you don't beat me to it, when I get back.

You can go to the Symptoms and Self Care forum, and then plug in say panic or anxiety, right into the top right search box, and then see what comes up.

Or search from your main browser, even when not signed in too......just type in surviving antidepressants.org and then your topic of interest, or symptom.

See how those go for you.

And yes, that every other day dosing is never good.  As far as your reinstatement trial, and doing Effexor that way.  Were you then not able to get a capsule with beads of Effexor then, to retry that at a dose much lower than 37.5 mg ?

So sorry bud, it's still so very symptomatic for you.  Try try your best to be patient with yourself now, and this process of healing from psych drugs.  I am so hoping you are just on a teeny tiny dose of Lexapro.  As, sometimes........it's just time and patience and the belief in healing that helps the most.  There are not often shortcuts to that once the drugs have harmed.  Just saying, to give you strength now.

Best, L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• ChessieCat changed the title to dipeshk: Pristiq messed up my life - persistent withdrawal symptoms after stopping (6+ months)
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi folks, I started taking 10mg Escitalopram in Jan 5 after suffering from severe withdrawals from Clonazepam. 

I am currently doing a Clonazepam taper (along with Diazepam) with a help of a Dr. 

Currently I'm taking. 

0.25 Clonazepam day

0.25 Clonazepam night + 5mg Diazepam night

10mg propanolol

10mg escitalopram

My question is that since I have only been taking this drug for about a month. Is it safe to taper is 5mg a week while I'm also tapering Clonazepam/Diazepam?

Since I've had a bad experience with Pristiq, I want to stay away from all SSRI/SNRI. The Escitalopram was prescribed to me by a general walkin clinic dr when I was having benzo withdrawals (he probably didn't know and neither did I that it was a benzo issue since I wasn't taking the 1mg clonazepam daily)

On 1/9/2022 at 2:51 PM, manymoretodays said:

Hi dipeshk,

I'm just reading your responses now.  I can get rid of the post that says delete.  I justed copied your responses and that above quote here too.  And then, of course, more questions below the copy with your response.  I put dashed lines where the copy starts and ends.  I'm happy if you just would like to use the option to just do a partial quote, and then answer below it.  Or notify me, when you reply with just answers to questions.  You just use the @ button and then start to type in my full user name, and you'll see my user name and can then click on it.  That's a notification.

Either way.......better than full quote, with answers in there, as I have to pull it down to read everything.......it just get's awkward.

---------------------------

Hi there dipeshk,

---------------------------------------

Thank you on the signature.  It's not unusual to feel a bit confused and/or cognitively impaired when in WD or even sometimes from adverse effects of drugs too.  Just so you know that.  And also know it gets better too.  It's not permanent, it wasn't for me.......  Keep the hope.

Thank you, and copy that on the Effexor.

What dose of Lexapro are you on now?  When exactly did you start it this month?  Day, date?

Why did you start it?

Has it helped with anything?

And oh shoot, on you aren't doing well right now.  How are the essential tremors you mention?

Stupid hypnic jerks!!  And panic and severe anxiety.  Decent though, I mean it is, that you at least get short term disability now.  And I'm sure that does add to your distress though too. 

I'm going to stop there.  I can help you find some links to symptoms and non-drug coping, if you don't beat me to it, when I get back.

You can go to the Symptoms and Self Care forum, and then plug in say panic or anxiety, right into the top right search box, and then see what comes up.

Or search from your main browser, even when not signed in too......just type in surviving antidepressants.org and then your topic of interest, or symptom.

See how those go for you.

And yes, that every other day dosing is never good.  As far as your reinstatement trial, and doing Effexor that way.  Were you then not able to get a capsule with beads of Effexor then, to retry that at a dose much lower than 37.5 mg ?

So sorry bud, it's still so very symptomatic for you.  Try try your best to be patient with yourself now, and this process of healing from psych drugs.  I am so hoping you are just on a teeny tiny dose of Lexapro.  As, sometimes........it's just time and patience and the belief in healing that helps the most.  There are not often shortcuts to that once the drugs have harmed.  Just saying, to give you strength now.

Best, L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Hi mmt, thanks for much for your response. A couple of updates:

I am currently only on 10mg lexapro and planning to wean off that soon in the future

I am currently weaning off the benzos with the help of an addictions Dr. 

However my primary concern - myoclonic jerks and insomnia from Pristiq withdrawal (all the back in Nov2020 and then Mar 2021) still remain. 

I am in the process of getting a new psychiatrist so I will discuss these concerns with them. 

I tried effexor 37.5 in December of 2020 but was getting tremor (my head was shaking). This scared me even more so I stopped it. 

I'm not sure if re-enstating pristiq at a lower dose (say 25mg) would be a good idea? Here in Canada 50mg is the lowest so I'm not sure if I'll need to get it compounded.

Just trying not to focus on these symptoms as its making me anxious and depressed even more (which I was originally taking this med for). Just focusing on a healthy lifestyle, exercise, diet, positive environment and sleep.

regards

My Benzo issues - switching from Clonazepam to Diazepam

Hi folks, I was occasionally taking 1mg Clonazepam for insomnia and myoclonic jerks (which started after stopping Pristiq). 

Little did I know that I would get dependent on the drug and started getting panic attacks / insomnia / severe myoclonic jerks when not taking the medicine. Had to visit the ER a few times. 

My GP had no idea about tapering so now I'm seeing an addictions Dr and he's helping me taper the benzo from Clonazepam to Diazepam. 

Currently I'm on Week 1 which is:

0.25 Clonazepam morning + evening and 5mg diazepam at bed time. 

I am currently  noticing panic attacks around 6am. Could this be because of the cortisol spike? On top of that I am noticing some constipation as well. 

Edited by ChessieCat
added benzo topic title before merging with intro

• Moderator Emeritus

@Frogie Would you please assist this member?  Thank you.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

@manymoretodays

Would you like to handle this since you have been working with this member, or would you like me to handle this situation?

Please let me know as I would love to help them.

Take care,

Frogie 

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

@dipeshk

Hi,

Are you switching over from 1mg Clonazepam  to Diazepam? The conversion from Clonazepam (1 mg) to Diazepam is (10 mg). Your dr is not giving you enough Diazepam.

Then you can't just change overnight. It looks like you are doing a crossover, but you should probably be taking 3/4 Clonazepam and 1/4 Diazepam, week 2 1/2 Clonazepam and 1/2 Diazepam, week 3 1/4 Clonzepam and 3/4 Diazepam and week 4 all Diazepam.

I think that would really help with your struggles right now.

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

1 hour ago, Frogie said:

@dipeshk

Hi,

Are you switching over from 1mg Clonazepam  to Diazepam? The conversion from Clonazepam (1 mg) to Diazepam is (10 mg). Your dr is not giving you enough Diazepam.

Then you can't just change overnight. It looks like you are doing a crossover, but you should probably be taking 3/4 Clonazepam and 1/4 Diazepam, week 2 1/2 Clonazepam and 1/2 Diazepam, week 3 1/4 Clonzepam and 3/4 Diazepam and week 4 all Diazepam.

I think that would really help with your struggles right now.

Hi @Frogie, thanks for your input. 

I am currently on the following regiment (switching from 0.75mg Clonazepam): 0.25 clonazepam morning, 0.25 clonazepam evening and 5mg diazepam bed time (with propanolol). The only symptoms I am getting is morning panic attacks and morning anxiety. Maybe this is due to me taking clonazepam at bed time before. I have my meeting with Dr tomorrow and I can discuss this with him as well.

I am also taking 10mg escitalopram since Jan 5. I figured that since I have been only taking this med for 3 weeks I would try to taper - big mistake. Jan 5 - Jan 27 10mg and then Jan 28 and Jan 29 I took 5mg. Today I got insomnia and weird headache feeling early morning. 

I am guessing I should not be tapering the AD or should be tapering it very slowly? I am based in Toronto, Canada and I  believe 5mg is the lowest tab here.

Hi @dipeshk

You are welcome for the information.

We do only suggest switching one medication at a time, then a good long hold.

You should probably complete the switch over to Diazepam before doing anything else. Then hold.

Morning cortisol spikes are very normal, even in people that don't take any medication.

early-morning-waking-managing-the-morning-cortisol-spike

You want to taper an accelerator before a brake. Lexapro is an accelerator and Diazepam is a brake. The Diazepam should help when it comes time to taper the Lexapro.

Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable

1 minute ago, Frogie said:

Hi @dipeshk

You are welcome for the information.

We do only suggest switching one medication at a time, then a good long hold.

You should probably complete the switch over to Diazepam before doing anything else. Then hold.

Morning cortisol spikes are very normal, even in people that don't take any medication.

early-morning-waking-managing-the-morning-cortisol-spike

You want to taper an accelerator before a brake. Lexapro is an accelerator and Diazepam is a brake. The Diazepam should help when it comes time to taper the Lexapro.

Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable

Thanks @Frogie, should I stick to 5mg escitalopram or go back up to 10mg escitalopram? I regret taking another SSRI now since I already had a bad experience with Pristiq before and have long term withdrawals. I am very intimidated by the tapering process since they don't make it easy to taper.  

@dipeshk

I’m going to reach out to another moderator and get an answer for you.

Hold tight.

1 hour ago, Frogie said:

@dipeshk

I’m going to reach out to another moderator and get an answer for you.

Hold tight.

Hi @Frogiethanks again. 

I just spoke with a compounding pharmacy who can create a liquid version of this medication. I will talk to my Dr. about getting that made and tapering. I was wondering who I can contact for a tapering plan? The psychiatrist wait time here is very long (a few months - and they will most likely tell me to go down some crazy dosage like from 10mg to 5mg!)

@dipeshk

I just want to make sure it is ok to go back to the 10 mg since you just cut it a couple days ago.

You've come to the right place for tapering information though. We can help you through that. And I can help you set up a schedule for tapering Lexapro when you are ready.

If you want to change from Lexapro tablets to Liquid, you will want to take the 10 mg Lexapro tablets (if the other moderators agree) then hold for a little while to let your body stabilize again before switching to liquid. 

We can certainly help you with the liquid switch also. I switched from tablets to liquid when I did my taper and it was so much easier. It just takes a little time to switch from tablets to liquid so you won't have a lot of wd symptoms.

I'm sure I will receive an answer soon on the Lexapro increase though. 

1 minute ago, Frogie said:

@dipeshk

I just want to make sure it is ok to go back to the 10 mg since you just cut it a couple days ago.

You've come to the right place for tapering information though. We can help you through that. And I can help you set up a schedule for tapering Lexapro when you are ready.

If you want to change from Lexapro tablets to Liquid, you will want to take the 10 mg Lexapro tablets (if the other moderators agree) then hold for a little while to let your body stabilize again before switching to liquid. 

We can certainly help you with the liquid switch also. I switched from tablets to liquid when I did my taper and it was so much easier. It just takes a little time to switch from tablets to liquid so you won't have a lot of wd symptoms.

I'm sure I will receive an answer soon on the Lexapro increase though. 

No worries @Frogie, you and this forum are a godsend. I don't know why the doctors and the medical professionals out there don't follow this. 

So basically, my initial goal would be to switch from 10mg lexapro tablet to 10mg liquid (through the compounded pharmacy)? 

Appreciate your help

Regards

@dipeshk

Yes that would be your goal. But since you just cut your Lexapro in 1/2, you will need to hold a little while before making the switch to liquid.

Most dr.'s don't understand tapering. Mine did at first and then in the middle of my taper of my Xanax he took the prescription away. Big shock.

But I'm glad you found us. You'll do fine I'm sure.

Insomnia and myoclonic jerks from rapid taper Pristiq

Hi folks, my idiot Dr. rapidly tapered me off pristiq (8 months) in 2 weeks. I have developed protracted withdrawal symptoms from it including insomnia and myoclonic jerks. 

This happened back in 2020 November. Tried reinstating in Mar 2021 and symptoms got worse. 

Currently waiting to taper off Clonazepam (been on it 2-3 months) and Lexapro (been on it 3-4 weeks) before I address this issue. 

Has anyone been through something similar on here and tried reinstating? What was your experience like?

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic

• Administrator
On 1/25/2022 at 9:01 AM, dipeshk said:

Hi folks, I started taking 10mg Escitalopram in Jan 5 after suffering from severe withdrawals from Clonazepam. 

I am currently doing a Clonazepam taper (along with Diazepam) with a help of a Dr. 

Currently I'm taking. 

0.25 Clonazepam day

0.25 Clonazepam night + 5mg Diazepam night

10mg propanolol

10mg escitalopram

My question is that since I have only been taking this drug for about a month. Is it safe to taper is 5mg a week while I'm also tapering Clonazepam/Diazepam?

Since I've had a bad experience with Pristiq, I want to stay away from all SSRI/SNRI. The Escitalopram was prescribed to me by a general walkin clinic dr when I was having benzo withdrawals (he probably didn't know and neither did I that it was a benzo issue since I wasn't taking the 1mg clonazepam daily)

Hello, @dipeshk. The last time we heard from you was at the end of December, regarding Pristiq withdrawal, and you hadn't mentioned taking clonazepam.

Since then, you've been under the care of an addiction medicine doctor to help you go off clonazepam?

On 1/28/2022 at 8:30 AM, dipeshk said:

I am currently  noticing panic attacks around 6am. Could this be because of the cortisol spike? On top of that I am noticing some constipation as well. 

Have you discussed your problems with this doctor, whom you pay for these services?

Why are you going off clonazepam, being that you only jus started taking escitalopram?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

NOTE TO MODS:

This post has been moved from a different forum and appears before Alto's response so might be overlooked:

4 hours ago, dipeshk said:

Insomnia and myoclonic jerks from rapid taper Pristiq

Hi folks, my idiot Dr. rapidly tapered me off pristiq (8 months) in 2 weeks. I have developed protracted withdrawal symptoms from it including insomnia and myoclonic jerks. 

This happened back in 2020 November. Tried reinstating in Mar 2021 and symptoms got worse. 

Currently waiting to taper off Clonazepam (been on it 2-3 months) and Lexapro (been on it 3-4 weeks) before I address this issue. 

Has anyone been through something similar on here and tried reinstating? What was your experience like?

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

38 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Hello, @dipeshk. The last time we heard from you was at the end of December, regarding Pristiq withdrawal, and you hadn't mentioned taking clonazepam.

Since then, you've been under the care of an addiction medicine doctor to help you go off clonazepam?

Have you discussed your problems with this doctor, whom you pay for these services?

Why are you going off clonazepam, being that you only jus started taking escitalopram?

Hi @Altostrata, my situation has changed dramatically since then.

I was taking clonazepam on and off (1mg) in December and .25mg in November as prescribed by my sleep Dr. I  noticed towards end of December that I was getting non stop panic attacks and unable to sleep for many days, hypertension, tachycardia (had to go to the ER. I thought that this would be somehow attributed to my Pristiq issues or worsening mental health)

However my situation kept getting worse but I noticed I got relief from taking Clonazepam. I was only taking it once at bed time (then during the day I got withdrawal symptoms). 

In desperation I went to a walkin / urgent care clinic on Jan 5 and the Dr. there just thought I had anxiety and started me on escitalopram. I hesitantly took it (since it wasn't clear to me that my issue is benzo dependence). 

I started seeing an addictions dr. Jan 24 (who put me on a Clonazepam taper) and I have been feeling better since then. I believe my issue is only related to Benzo. I don't want anything to do with SSRI's. 

It was probably a poor decision on my end to reduce the dose too quickly from 10mg to 5mg. I took 5mg again today. If symptoms get intolerable then I can go back up to 10mg and start tapering from there (once I am stable on Diazepam). 

I discussed my issue with the addictions Dr. however he is only managing my benzo issue. He told me to take the SSRI issue with my family doctor and psychiatrist (here in Canada its covered under OHIP). 

I'm thinking I should probably go back up to 10mg escitalopram? Since its the most potent SSRI and I don't want to do a cliff dive.

Hi @dipeshk

it is hard for us to advise you while you are working with multiple doctors and addiction specialists. If you go against our recommendations, how are we to help you? There are three volunteers so far spending their time advising you, yet you do what your doctors say even if this does not coincide with what you have been advised here.

We are not against you doing what your doctors suggest but we can't be the cleanup crew after they mess things up yet again. 

We also do not provide advice on the right cocktail to take, what drugs to add etc. 

You were given the reinstatements link which clearly says that we recommend a very small dose reinstatement of the original drug and since your original drug was hard to get in small doses, its closest 'cousin' was suggested. We clearly explain our reasoning for doing that.

Yet you went to something completely different at a very high dose. You then decided to cut that by 50% which is against all the tapering guidelines of this website. 

What do you expect us to do in this situation? 

Even if we make a suggestion, will you follow it? Or are we going to continue wasting our resources on giving you advice where there are many more people to whom these resources can go.

OMW

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

42 minutes ago, Onmyway said:

Hi @dipeshk

it is hard for us to advise you while you are working with multiple doctors and addiction specialists. If you go against our recommendations, how are we to help you? There are three volunteers so far spending their time advising you, yet you do what your doctors say even if this does not coincide with what you have been advised here.

We are not against you doing what your doctors suggest but we can't be the cleanup crew after they mess things up yet again. 

We also do not provide advice on the right cocktail to take, what drugs to add etc. 

You were given the reinstatements link which clearly says that we recommend a very small dose reinstatement of the original drug and since your original drug was hard to get in small doses, its closest 'cousin' was suggested. We clearly explain our reasoning for doing that.

Yet you went to something completely different at a very high dose. You then decided to cut that by 50% which is against all the tapering guidelines of this website. 

What do you expect us to do in this situation? 

Even if we make a suggestion, will you follow it? Or are we going to continue wasting our resources on giving you advice where there are many more people to whom these resources can go.

OMW

Hi @Onmywaythanks for your response and I understand your frustration.

When I originally posted the Pristiq issue I was not in the situation that I am in now (Clonazepam dependence) and taking Escitalopram. I was looking into the option of reinstatements but wanted to discuss it with a psychiatrist as I am traumatized with the long term effects it has caused me (and an unempathetic doctor). I was also alone and isolated and tried re-instating the drug myself back in March (trying to reduce 10%) but that made my situation worse. I understand that I needed to re-instate at a much lower dose.

When I started having severe withdrawal issues I was desperate for help and the addictions Dr. was the only one willing to help me (even my family doctor didn't know how to wean me off Clonazepam). He tried and I was getting severe withdrawals. The addictions dr. seems to be following the Ashton manual and plans to taper me off Diazepam 1mg per week.

I am reading Dr. Breggin's book Psychiatric Drug Withdrawal and now understand the severity of dose changes. I was under the impression that since I was only on Escitalopram for less than 1 month I should be able to wean off quicker (the doctors make it sound so easy).

I am willing to do whatever it takes to follow the sites guidelines. I understand now that 10% is the dose reduction recommended (and I have contacted a compounding pharmacy here who can help). 

I am also in a more positive environment now (had to move back with family and take short term disability at work) whereas before I was isolated and being stressed by work. 

Hope you understand my situation. 

Regards

• Administrator

2022: Jan 5 10mg Escitalopram, Jan 24 .75mg clonazepam taper (with the help of addictions dr) to switch to Diazepam

2022: Jan 27 - tried cutting escitalopram to 5mg but got withdrawals including insomnia, head pressure and anxiety

Very possible what you interpreted as withdrawal from reducing escitalopram to 5mg was actually from the clonazepam taper and diazepam switch.

How the addiction medicine specialist missed this, I have no idea.

It's beyond me why you're going off the benzo at this point. If I were you, I'd stop changing any of your drugs. We need to know exactly what you're taking and when, with your symptoms before and after each dose. Please keep daily notes of times o’clock you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. We need to know how you feel before and after taking each drug, and your symptoms in between. Post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, in a simple list format with time o’clock on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right. This can show if your symptoms are adverse effects from one of your drugs.

@Onmyway voiced our concerns that since you didn't follow our advice before, and are now under care by at least a couple of doctors, we may be wasting our time reviewing your problem.

15 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Very possible what you interpreted as withdrawal from reducing escitalopram to 5mg was actually from the clonazepam taper and diazepam switch.

How the addiction medicine specialist missed this, I have no idea.

It's beyond me why you're going off the benzo at this point. If I were you, I'd stop changing any of your drugs. We need to know exactly what you're taking and when, with your symptoms before and after each dose. Please keep daily notes of times o’clock you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. We need to know how you feel before and after taking each drug, and your symptoms in between. Post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, in a simple list format with time o’clock on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right. This can show if your symptoms are adverse effects from one of your drugs.

@Onmyway voiced our concerns that since you didn't follow our advice before, and are now under care by at least a couple of doctors, we may be wasting our time reviewing your problem.

Hi @AltostrataI apologize for not following the advise before. Before I was at least functioning day to day however after the Clonazepam / benzo ordeal in late December I became unable to function and had to go to the ER. 

I am currently in care of only the addictions Dr. for benzos. However, I am in the process of finding a psychiatrist to augment the advise that is given here.

I will post my notes of drug taken, how I feel and symptoms every 24 hours in this topic. 

I will appreciate all the help I can get as this website is invaluable and there is nothing else out there for help. I made a big mistake of reducing my Escitalopram by 50% now will post my results. 

• Administrator
26 minutes ago, dipeshk said:

I made a big mistake of reducing my Escitalopram by 50% now will post my results. 

As I noted above, this may not be the source of your symptoms.

8 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

As I noted above, this may not be the source of your symptoms.

Thanks @Altostrata. I will post my 24 hour log and go from there if that's alright?

I really appreciate everyone's help here as I feel like there is nowhere else to turn to. I will follow all advise as directed.

24 Hour Log

Jan 30

9am: didn't sleep last night (was sleeping atleast a few hours before taking 10mg escitalopram)

11am: took .25mg clonazepam

12pm: had lunch. took fish oil, magnesium oxide supplement

3pm: took 5mg escitalopram

5pm: took dog out for a walk. mood has been low. only started feeling this way since taking 5mg escitalopram

6pm: had light dinner

7pm: took clonazepam .25mg

9pm: went to bed. couldn't sleep. took 1 melatonin gummy

11:30pm: took 5mg diazepam and 10mg propanolol

Jan31

12am: unable to fall asleep

2am: light sleep but woke up

3am: noticing breathing issues while sleeping. started after reducing escitalopram dosage

4am: unable to sleep, noticing teeth grinding issues and more breathing issues

5am: becoming anxious

6am-9am: didn't sleep. woke up with teeth grinding/shivering feeling. feeling more depressed than usual

I will probably up my dosage of escitalopram to 10mg today and stabilize on the benzos. then take an extremely slow and careful approach before making any changes. I will talk to my Dr. about stopping propanolol and I don't think I need it (since I was really unable with high anxiety and panic attacks a few weeks ago, that is when I Started it).

• Administrator
19 hours ago, Altostrata said:

If I were you, I'd stop changing any of your drugs.

18 hours ago, dipeshk said:

I will follow all advise as directed.

5 hours ago, dipeshk said:

I will probably up my dosage of escitalopram to 10mg today and stabilize on the benzos.

No comment.

3 hours ago, Altostrata said:

No comment.

Hi @Altostrata, sorry for being a difficult user.

The withdrawals were too much for me to handle (and I know I have made the stupid mistake of cutting the tablet) but never again. I had to visit the ER and they recommended I stick with 10mg until I wean off the benzos (which I should be doing first). 

As you can see I have a difficult history of past withdrawal and I am finding out I am too sensitive for these medications. I really regret going on Escitalopram and after my benzo taper I plan to taper that medication. 

I am not doing well mentally and just trying to deal with all of this.

24 hour log Jan 31

11am: took clonazepam .25mg

12pm: took 10mg escitalopram

all day: noticing high heart rate, teeth chattering, anxiety, nausea, sleep apnea worsened. went to the ER. Doctor recommended I finish my benzo taper first before adjusting any dose for Escitalopram. I see that 10% reduction per month is recommended. I am going to follow that, would it be just the matter of shaving the pill off? or should I use a compound pharmacy 9mg formula?

6pm: took clonazepam .25mg

evening: heart rate is still elevated and not calming down

11pm: will take diazepam 5mg + propanolol 10mg before sleep

• Moderator Emeritus

Post #1 of this topic has links to Tips for Tapering different drug topics.  And Post #1 of the Tips for Tapering topics explains how to get non standard doses of that particular drug.

important-topics-in-the-tapering-forum-and-faq

1 minute ago, ChessieCat said:

Post #1 of this topic has links to Tips for Tapering different drug topics.  And Post #1 of the Tips for Tapering topics explains how to get non standard doses of that particular drug.

important-topics-in-the-tapering-forum-and-faq

Thanks @ChessieCat, I will check it out. 

Can I still post my daily log on here?

Regards