dipeshk: Pristiq messed up my life - persistent withdrawal symptoms after stopping (6+ months)

dipeshk

9 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Post #1 of this topic has links to Tips for Tapering different drug topics.  And Post #1 of the Tips for Tapering topics explains how to get non standard doses of that particular drug.

important-topics-in-the-tapering-forum-and-faq

Thanks @ChessieCat I will check it out. I was wondering if switching from Lexapro/Escitalopram to a "safer" SSRI would be a good option from what you have seen in the past?

2018-2019 - Wellbutrin, Cymbalta, Cipralex
2020 - Pristiq (rapid taper - protracted withdrawal insomnia and myoclonic sleep jerks)
2021 - March re-instated Pristiq at original dosage instead of minimal dosage - protracted symptoms worsened

2021 - Zopiclone, Doxepin, Clonazepam to treat protracted symptoms (insomnia and myoclonic jerks

1/05/2022: severe withdrawals from Clonazepam (panic attacks insomnia). Originally thought my anxiety/depression were getting worse. Dr put me on Lexapro 10mg

1/24/2022: Found addictions psychiatrist to put me on benzo taper

1/27/2022: Decided to rapid taper Lexapro on my own to 5mg. Experiencing slight involuntary jaw movement and hand tremor

2/7/2022: Tapering Lexapro 10mg (10% 2-4 weeks) side by side tapering Benzo (switch from clonazepam to valium 15mg)

3/11/2022: Slow tapering Lexapro and currently on 6.5mg. Tapering Diazepam 11mg

Still experiencing side effects from Lexapro (involuntary jaw movement and hand tremor). Pristiq protracted withdrawal myoclonic sleep jerks (of the head)

• Moderator Emeritus

You are welcome.

Please do not tag me.  Thank you.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Will do

2020 - Pristiq (rapid taper - protracted withdrawal insomnia and myoclonic sleep jerks)
2021 - March re-instated Pristiq at original dosage instead of minimal dosage - protracted symptoms worsened

2021 - Zopiclone, Doxepin, Clonazepam to treat protracted symptoms (insomnia and myoclonic jerks

1/05/2022: severe withdrawals from Clonazepam (panic attacks insomnia). Originally thought my anxiety/depression were getting worse. Dr put me on Lexapro 10mg

1/27/2022: Decided to rapid taper Lexapro on my own to 5mg. Experiencing slight involuntary jaw movement and hand tremor

2/7/2022: Tapering Lexapro 10mg (10% 2-4 weeks) side by side tapering Benzo (switch from clonazepam to valium 15mg)

Still experiencing side effects from Lexapro (involuntary jaw movement and hand tremor). Pristiq protracted withdrawal myoclonic sleep jerks (of the head)

• Administrator

@dipeshk I think this may be the wrong Web site for you. Your clear preference is to consult doctors. You can do that, but you need to take your problems to them. We offer peer support, we're not here to clean up after your doctor. Sorry.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

14 hours ago, Altostrata said:

@dipeshk I think this may be the wrong Web site for you. Your clear preference is to consult doctors. You can do that, but you need to take your problems to them. We offer peer support, we're not here to clean up after your doctor. Sorry.

Hi Altostrata, please consider giving me another chance. 

Currently I am reliant on my addictions Dr. to wean me off the benzos (valium and clonazepam). I'm not sure if there is anything else I can do about this? As most GP's would not prescribe these drugs that easily. Also my issue started as a dependence rather than recreatinoal use.

However Lexapro is under my control (and my biggest problem right now). I am in the process of finding a new GP as well as psychiatrist but it can be a challenge in Canada. I plan to use pharmacy.ca for compounding and taper.

This site is an invaluable resource and my only hope. I promise to follow the advise to the T (as I have already seen the consequence of not doing it). 

Current issues with Lexapro 10mg

Hi folks, I am currently on Lexapro 10mg since 1 month and tapering benzodiazepines (through a Dr.). Few days ago I stupidly decided to rapid taper (5mg) and faced severe withdrawals. 

I am now back on 10mg however noticing a new set of symptoms. Nausea, stomach upset/bloating, weird head feeling etc... 

I am hoping this will stabilize? Has anyone else reduced their dosage and gone back up in dosing? 

I plan to use pharmacy.ca tapering method (10-15 %) every month to gradually reduce after I am done with my benzodiazepine taper

Regards

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic

• Moderator Emeritus

@dipeshk

I have moved your recent new topic (you have created many other topics before) and merged it here with your Introduction topic.  The other topics have also been merged here.  Please do not create new topics when you are posting questions about your own situation.

Each member has their own Introduction topic.  Your Introduction topic is the best place to ask questions and journal your progress.  This way your history is in one place and you do not have to repeat your story.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus
8 hours ago, dipeshk said:

Current issues with Lexapro 10mg

Hi folks, I am currently on Lexapro 10mg since 1 month and tapering benzodiazepines (through a Dr.). Few days ago I stupidly decided to rapid taper (5mg) and faced severe withdrawals. 

I am now back on 10mg however noticing a new set of symptoms. Nausea, stomach upset/bloating, weird head feeling etc... 

I am hoping this will stabilize? Has anyone else reduced their dosage and gone back up in dosing? 

I plan to use pharmacy.ca tapering method (10-15 %) every month to gradually reduce after I am done with my benzodiazepine taper

Regards

Q:  Did the doctor suggest the dose changes of escitalopram?

(Please do not tag me)

It might be that taking 10mg escitalopram was too much when you started it and it is again, or it might be that your system has become sensitised after all the recent changes you have made so that going back to 10mg was too high a dose.

Escitalopram is a VERY STRONG drug.  It might be better to reduce to 7.5mg escitalopram.

Post #1 of this topic explains how to get non standard doses:

Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro)

• Administrator
11 hours ago, dipeshk said:

I promise to follow the advise to the T (as I have already seen the consequence of not doing it). 

Really? What consequence?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

16 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Q:  Did the doctor suggest the dose changes of escitalopram?

(Please do not tag me)

It might be that taking 10mg escitalopram was too much when you started it and it is again, or it might be that your system has become sensitised after all the recent changes you have made so that going back to 10mg was too high a dose.

Escitalopram is a VERY STRONG drug.  It might be better to reduce to 7.5mg escitalopram.

Post #1 of this topic explains how to get non standard doses:

Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro)

Hi ChessieCat, the doctor did not suggest any dose changes. I was feeling "high" on the drug and not completely myself and decided to make changes on my own. Which I now realize was a really big mistake (considering all the complicated factors such as my previous history and my side by side benzo taper). 

Yes I believe Escitalopram is the strongest SSRI out there. 

I am getting side effects: today I have a crippling headache, in the night I get sweating, heart palpitations/extra beats, I also have a teeth chattering. I really messed up  big time. 

I contacted this pharmacy who have custom compound mixtures (https://www.pharmacy.ca/ssridiscontinuation.shtml?active=15)

It shows the slowest route would be 40 weeks! to taper to 0. 

I feel like I am currently in hell and I am just praying that I get better. 

Since I made a dose change Jan 28 to 5mg, then back to 10mg on Jan 31st, should I give it some time before changing it again to 7.5mg? Or should I do a 10% reduction through compounding pharmacy?

I am reading Dr. Breggin's books and he recommends that if side effects are intolerable then large dose adjustments can be made. However this time around, I am definitely going to be more careful . 

Regards

Tapering Calculator.pdf

13 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Really? What consequence?

Hi Altostrata, I am suffering from various side effects after going back to 10mg. Including crippling headaches, teeth chattering movement that's not stopping, heart palpitations/extra beats, stomach upset, sweating, irritability and general mood issues.

Its worse in the mornings for some reason (for example today I have a crippling headache since the morning). 

I am currently on 10mg but not sure if I should drop by dosage to 7.5mg as ChessieCat suggested or if I should give my nervous system some time to stabilize. I am thoroughly reading all the articles on this site. I would never imagine I would get sucked into this hell. I am praying that I get better.

I am also planning to taper through a compounding pharmacy (I am really grateful as I found it through one of your posts) https://www.pharmacy.ca/ssridiscontinuation.shtml?active=15

They have a 5% weekly/biweekly or 10% weekly/biweekly compounding mixture. 

Tapering Calculator.pdf

• Administrator

Well, @dipeshk if you increased Lexapro (against our advice) and the increase makes you feel worse, the logical solution would be to reduce the dosage. You've been taking 10mg for only a few days, you could reduce directly to 7.5mg, or even 5mg.

10 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Well, @dipeshk if you increased Lexapro (against our advice) and the increase makes you feel worse, the logical solution would be to reduce the dosage. You've been taking 10mg for only a few days, you could reduce directly to 7.5mg, or even 5mg.

Thanks @Altostrata, since the pills are not exactly easy to cut and I don't believe there is a liquid solution in Canada. Would it be better/more convenient to just have it compounded at the pharmacy?

I was doing fine on the benzo taper until I adjusted my escitalopram dosage. That's when all hell broke loose.

Regards

• Moderator Emeritus

I have provided the link to the Tips for Tapering Lexapro / escitalopram TWICE.  The last was posted only 21 hours ago.

Please read Post #1 of that topic.

• Administrator

@dipeshk, you're showing signs of not paying attention and requiring excessive hand-holding. These are not good signs.

• Moderator Emeritus

Please carefully read the 2 following quoted posts:

AND

• Administrator

@dipeshk may be confused by the references to 10% reductions. This applies to people who increased their drugs more than a month ago. He has been on a dose increased from 5mg to 10mg only a few days. He can make an immediate reduction.

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, Altostrata said:

may be confused by the references to 10% reductions.

Alto, thank you for pointing that out.

Thanks so much Alto and Chessie, yes I was confused about that. Overall I've been on Cipralex/escitalopram since 1 month 10mg, reduced dosage to 5mg only for 3 days and back to 10mg for 4 days. 

I am hoping I don't get any major withdrawals with going down back to 7.5mg. I really appreciate  your help.

Regards

• 1 month later...

Hi folks just an update. 

I am currently on a slow taper of Lexapro and on 6.5mg. I am also tapering Diazepam (currently on 11mg). 

I don't seem to be experiencing any side effects while tapering Diazepam however I noticed slight insomnia and stomach upset on every dose reduction in Lexapro. 

I still seem to have involuntary jaw movement (teeth chattering) and hand tremor from when I rapidly tapered Lexapro

I saw a psychiatrist who said to stop Lexapro cold turkey! However, I know that can cause more damage and I will need to slowly taper. 

I am hoping these neurological side effects go away once I reduce and am completely off the Lex!

On a positive side: My pristiq protracted withdrawal symptoms seem to have improved. Not sure if this is because of the Diazepam. 

Regards

On my next visit to the mental health clinician I plan to bring some resources for them about SSRI discontinuation and taper. Hopefully this will open their eyes. They seem to think these medications are mild!

Hi folks, just a question about my original condition (Myoclonic / hypnic jerks caused by Pristiq - only happens when I try to sleep). 

I know Altostrata recommended low dose Effexor (the one with beads), however I was wondering would a low dose compounded Pristiq work just as well? (Say 5mg compounded - Original dose was 50mg). 

I could even get Effexor compounded at a low custom dose. 

I am planning to do this after I get off my current medication which is Lexapro/Diazepam. 

I spoke to a few psychiatrists about this issue and they are against reinstating since they said it could possibly worsen the issue. But I'm not sure how familiar they are with protracted withdrawals. 

Will read up on reinstatement on this website and any experiences of people that have reinstated after a long time (years) would be greatly helpful. 

Regards

@dipeshk

Why would you taper the Lexapro when you were in such withdrawals? And if you started your 10% a month taper, you should not be at 6.5 mg if you started February 22. You should be 9.0 mg for the first taper. Then you hold for 4-6 weeks and drop to 8.1 mg. Which would mean you wouldn't taper until at least March 22, and yet you are at 6.5 mg. 

And you are tapering Valium at the same time? You never want to taper 2 drugs at the same time. And you should taper the Valium after the Lexapro.

You are having major withdrawals from doing this.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

The slowness of slow tapers

Taper more than one drug at a time?

You have been given information on Tapering Lexapro multiple times.

You need to stop tapering and hold, hold, and hold some more. You have put your body through way too much and it is fighting you now. Please read these links that I provided, along with the Lexapro tapering that was provided previously.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.