SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Cobalt: Looking to change from Effexor XR to IR version for tapering

Cobalt

Hi all,

I have been lurking around this site for a number of years. It's been really helpful for all the tapering done to this point. I'm now getting prepared to do my final taper as I'm a bit over the surface sleeping. I've been on Efexor XR 37.5mg for a number of years now and tbh a bit frightened of this last stge.

I've talked to my doctor this morning about moving to Venlafaxine IR (tablets) so that I can more gradually wean. My thought at this point is to go onto IR 37.5mg in the morning and then a half dose in the evening in the hope that going back up a bit will help with the switch over. Has anyone done this? Got any thoughts on how the switch over might work?

TIA

Current - Venlafaxine XR 37.5mg Quetiapine 25mg

2019 - Venlafaxine XR 37.5mg Quetiapine 25mg

2017 - Venlafaxine XR 37.5mg (stable), Quetiapine 50mg

Dec 2014 - Venlafaxine XR 225 mg, Pyroluria diagnosis

Oct 2014 - Venlafaxine XR 187.5mg

Jan 2014 - Start tapering

December 2011 - Venlafaxine XR 300mg, Quetiapine 50mg

October 2011 - Venlafaxine XR 300mg

Mid 2000's - Citalopram

Early 2000's - Prozac 40mg

1999 - Prozac 20mg

• ChessieCat changed the title to Cobalt: Looking to change from Effexor XR to IR version for tapering

Oh well! Looks like this is not going to happen! We can't get the IR Venlafaxine in New Zealand. Looks like I'm back to counting beads!

Mid 2000's - Citalopram

1999 - Prozac 20mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Cobalt and welcome to SA, finally 😊

Added after typing response:  Bother, you have just posted that you cannot get immediate release Effexor after I've typed the following response.  I will leave it here anyway FYI.

Can you get liquid Effexor?  I think it needs to be dosed twice daily.  You can make liquid from the capsule beads.  See Post #1 of the tips topic, link below.

Original post:

Thank you for creating your drug signature.

Here is SA's topic for tapering Effexor.  Please note that you will need to dose 2 or 3 x day when you go to immediate release. Fro Post #1 of the tips topic (link below quote). 

On 5/6/2011 at 1:01 PM, Altostrata said:

Because its half-life is so short, immediate-release venlafaxine is taken 2 or 3 times a day.

See Post #1 which explains how to get the dose you need:

tips-for-tapering-off-effexor-and-effexor-xr-venlafaxine

57 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

My thought at this point is to go onto IR 37.5mg in the morning and then a half dose in the evening in the hope that going back up a bit will help with the switch over.

You will not need to change your dose.

When changing form of a drug it is suggested to do a cross over.  However, depending on the dose of the tablets you have you might be able to take a tablet and make up the remainder of the dose with liquid.

See:

cross-over-changing-form-eg-tablet-to-liquid-of-drug-or-changing-brand-of-same-drug

how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules

Usually when changing the timing of doses, for instance if a person is taking a drug with a shorter half life and they are experiencing interdose withdrawal, then it is suggested that they move part of their dose by 1 hour each day.  But if you are going straight from extended to intermediate, if it was me, I would be dose splitting from the start.

dose-splitting-for-interdose-withdrawal-from-short-half-life-drugs

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Many thanks @ChessieCat.

I'm now re-thinking my approach. Might see if there is a compounding pharmacy that will do a liquid. Definitely not available via the usual means.

And as with the usual theme, my doctor this morning, even knowing that Efexor was difficult to come off still thought that I could drop by a half dose! (sighs and shakes her head!) 

Cheers

Mid 2000's - Citalopram

1999 - Prozac 20mg

• Administrator

I am confused. Why can you not continue to taper by bead-counting?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi @Altostrata

I definitely could continue this way but I was trying to see if there was an easier option than counting beads. Maybe there is not. And maybe all the shifting around drugs will just make for unsettling changes. I had just assumed that cutting tablets was easier.

I know that there is a video on here about counting beads. I will have a look at that.

Thanks

Mid 2000's - Citalopram

1999 - Prozac 20mg

• Administrator

How much venlafaxine are you currently taking? Please put this in your signature.

If you can get your prescription consistently filled with the same brand and bead-filled capsules, bead-counting is the easiest way to taper venlafaxine. Some people do this with the aid of a digital scale, but many do not -- they simply count the beads.

You don't have to worry about reducing by counting beads until you are down to a very low dose and don't have many beads left. When you get there, please let us know and we'll figure out alternatives.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Many thanks.

I'm down to 37.5mg Efexor XR which is the smallest dose available in NZ. 

And, also, a really random question... does anyone think that Venlafaxine affects hunger signaling?

Mid 2000's - Citalopram

1999 - Prozac 20mg

• Administrator

Be sure to get your prescription refilled with the same brand 37.5mg Efexor XR. This can help keep the beads consistent.

Psychiatric drugs can affect insulin balance and cause weight gain. You may be feeling this effect.