Man who killed son tours Canada to discuss drugs danger (Nov. 6 - tour of eastern provinces begins)

existing

David Carmichael killed his 11 year old son, Ian, during Paxil induced psychosis 18 years ago.

I've seen him in the news now and then speaking about his experience.

https://knowyourdrugs.org/tour/

David Carmichael, Executive Director of Canadians for Vanessa’s Law, will be launching a cross-Canada tour in Halifax, Nova Scotia on November 6, 2021 (Know Your Drugs Day), which will end in Victoria, British Columbia in June 2022. His tour was promoted in this October 9, 2021 CTV W5 episode.

During the tour, Canadians will be encouraged to participate in public discussions about prescription drug safety. Before each discussion, David will be delivering the presentation Preventing Another Opioid Crisis.

--

The cross-Canada tour will take place in three stages:

1. Eastern Canada (November 2021) – Nova Scotia, Newfoundland-Labrador, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, and Quebec
  2. Central Canada (December 2021 to April 2022) – Ontario and Manitoba
  3. Western Canada (May and June 2022) – Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia

knowyourdrugs.org is partnered with Rxisk which people here will know.

I know I've been told I should write my intro before continuing to post but I am still finding this prohibitively difficult.

I thought this shouldn't wait as the tour starts very soon and there might be people here who end up missing it in the news.

This might better fit in 'media' but I wasn't able to choose that to make the topic in.

I'm not sure completely how to feel about the tour. I am sure pro-drug people will try to frame this as evidence of anti-drug people being crazy, irresponsible, possibly evil. I hope the discussion doesn't tip too far in that direction and it's a net positive.

I can't imagine the courage it takes to speak publicly about something like this. I would want to hide forever.

I suppose grief and desire to give his son and others some bit of justice drives him in the face of all the pain.

1996: Mellaril (Thioridazine) - taken just once, "high" then "comedown" with suicidal threats and gestures

1998-2009: various antidepressants, mostly(I think)SSRIs
2008: Risperdal for 2 week period (caused unbearable akathisia)
2009-2017: Prozac 60mg and Wellbutrin 300mg (began at lower doses
2017, early: stopped meds after lowering doses at 2-week intervals
2017, mid (about 3 months later): withdrawal symptoms begin, prozac reinstated almost immediately, other hellish symptoms begin.

Press on slowly raising dose back to 60mg hoping (and with GP reassurance) for return to 'normalcy'. Now 2-month intervals before dose increase

2017, late: Wellbutrin reinstated (and starting Wellbutrin again too
2018, mid: hellish symptoms still there, stop meds again over about 3 or 4 months.
2018, late: withdrawal symptoms again begin about 3 months after last dose of meds (prozac)

• 5 months later...

I just checked the site again and it seems the tour was changed/delayed and will now be starting in late April and going until June.

1. Eastern Canada (April 2022) – Nova Scotia, Newfoundland-Labrador, Prince Edward Island, and New Brunswick
  2. Central Canada (May 2022) – Quebec and Ontario
  3. Western Canada (June 2022) – Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and British Columbia

info/dates still at:

https://knowyourdrugs.org/tour/

1996: Mellaril (Thioridazine) - taken just once, "high" then "comedown" with suicidal threats and gestures

1998-2009: various antidepressants, mostly(I think)SSRIs
2008: Risperdal for 2 week period (caused unbearable akathisia)
2009-2017: Prozac 60mg and Wellbutrin 300mg (began at lower doses
2017, early: stopped meds after lowering doses at 2-week intervals
2017, mid (about 3 months later): withdrawal symptoms begin, prozac reinstated almost immediately, other hellish symptoms begin.

Press on slowly raising dose back to 60mg hoping (and with GP reassurance) for return to 'normalcy'. Now 2-month intervals before dose increase

2017, late: Wellbutrin reinstated (and starting Wellbutrin again too
2018, mid: hellish symptoms still there, stop meds again over about 3 or 4 months.
2018, late: withdrawal symptoms again begin about 3 months after last dose of meds (prozac)