Ktven48: Effexor taper gone wrong

Ktven48

Hello all,

I’m suffering some rather terrible withdrawals and I wanted to introduce myself and find some support within the community. I am searching for connection to those who understand what I am going through and can offer words of wisdom on occasion or be there with me through waves. Does this sound too needy? I would also like to keep track of symptoms here and a log of progress with some accountability (for anyone who stumbles upon my thread) I’ll try and be there for others as well. 

After a traumatic C-section with my son in Nov 2017 I began to experience bad post partum depression. My psychiatrist told me to take Zoloft ( I believe 25mg?) I took it for two-three nights stopped CT and had a terrible reaction. I became almost comatose and my husband and I were terrified. Looking back now I’m sure I would have stabilized but I was so out of it that we checked me into a psychiatric hospital.  There they started me on Venlafaxine and Trazadone for sleep. I had 0 side effects starting the Ven and left the hospital at 75mg. 200mg Trazadone (the lower doses weren’t working for my insomnia so they just kept upping) 

After stabilizing on Ven and Trazadone  I was pretty great for a few years. In 2019 I decided on a slow taper taking a few beads out here and there. I kept no real log - just went by feeling. During this time my DR gave me Adderall for my ADHD which I believe the use of masked any withdrawal symptoms if I had them. I developed a moderate abuse of them and earlier this year Feb28th- I quit CT. This was after a traumatic miscarriage Jan 28th (I was off the adderall for pregnancy but resumed after)

During all this time I had been on 3 remaining beads of Venlafaxine which I was holding strong on for several months since my taper 2019-2020. 

Then March I received my vaccine.

After April I started experiencing windows and waves and like withdrawal and became very confused as to the cause. Unfortunately I played with my dose too much up and down and was taking somewhere between 5-10 beads irregularly for months. 10 beads for all of July and August feeling relatively stable and like myself.

In July I became pregnant and now there are hormones added to the mix. 
Wanting to come off completely for the baby I went down to three beads again the end of August. 

All hell broke loose. Insomnia, akathisia, constant panic, burning skin, restlessness, agitation. 

9/5 I started slowly increasing my beads following SAs advice - waiting 7-10 days starting straight from 8 beads (idk why 8) winding up at 12 beads on 10/6.

Not getting any relief from these small increases and a baby on the way I increased to 37.5mg 10/7 at the advice of my doctor. 

I have seen little improvement since but it’s only been a week. I have pretty much been bed ridden for these 6-7 weeks with a few hours of a window randomly here and there. No immediate reaction to the updose besides some nausea and lack of appetite so I suppose it is not hurting. 

Sleep has improved somewhat from compete insomnia to getting 5-6 hours. In the beginning i had use Klonopin, and Unisom(helps with morning sickness as well) intermittently. The akathisia is mostly gone as well.  But the inner agitation and waves of panic keep me home bound and unable to be apart of life.

Last night I was able to just use my Trazadone and nothing else.

I also take propranolol 5-10mg a day for the panic attacks - which does give me some relief.

So I’m looking for guidance as I figure out all of these meds I’m on. I know the Klonopin is terrible so I told my husband it’s only for an absolute emergency. Last dose was 10/6. I want to stop the propranolol as well. But I really need to stabilize because that can have its own withdrawal. 

I guess I’m just reaching out because I am in dire straights. I have a four year old and a baby on the way with a wonderful husband. I have to make it through this and stabilize. It’s scary to think if I didn’t have them - idk if I would have made it this far. With no real full days of a window yet I’m feeling hopeless. After reading more about tapering I really messed up myself going up and down in dose this year. I hope 37.5 can give me some relief. 

-KT

Dec 2017

Zoloft 3 nights - bad reaction end up in hospital  // Jan 2018-Jan 2019- Venlafaxine 75mg Trazadone 200mgstarted in hospital // 2019-2020 - Slow venlafaxine taper ended up at 3 beads in mid 2020 pretty flawless taper with minimal withdrawal Symptoms was on 10-20mg PRN adderall during this time  // Jan 2021-March 2021 Miscarriage, Adderall CT, Vaccine still on 3 beads // April 2021-July 2021 Start experiencing withdrawal type symptoms, depression anxiety not sure why - increased to 5-10 beads over two months // July 2021

Pregnant // August 2021

tried to wean down back to 3 beads // September 2021 Hard crash - insomnia, akathisia, panic attacks, cortisol rushes, constant adrenaline rushes, depression, no appetite, nausea on and off, muscle pain // current: October 7th Reinstated 37.5mg of Venlafaxine 200mg Trazadone // 5-10 mg of propranolol 

Clonazepam PRN last dose Oct 6th

trying to stay off

Supplements: Occasional L-theanine 

Prenatal mag citrate 400–600mg before bed

• ChessieCat changed the title to Ktven48: Effexor taper gone wrong

10/14

5pm - one hour before Ven dose cortisol rush extreme , flushed face burning sensations - mood okay except extreme panic feeling

6:30- ven dose cortisol still running

8:00pm - unable to eat anything yet all day - I throw up after drinking too much water too fast

10pm- 200mg traz, can still feel adrenaline able to fall asleep at 11pm

with wake ups at 2am (unisom tablet)

another wake up at 4am and up for day at 6/630 am

10/15

630am- wake up , get son ready for daycare - can still feel adrenaline (seems like extra bad yesterday and today and non stopping)

8am- lie in bed - adrenaline keeps me from being able to do anything 

8-10am- dose off here and there with wake ups - body calms down enough for a short nap somewhere in between these hours 

10am- take 5mg propranolol to prevent anymore major attacks 

10am-12pm - lying in bed with anxiety trying to rest - looking at phone 

12:30pm - 200mg l-theanine trying anything to relieve this feeling don’t know if it works same with propranolol 

Dec 2017

Zoloft 3 nights - bad reaction end up in hospital  // Jan 2018-Jan 2019- Venlafaxine 75mg Trazadone 200mgstarted in hospital // 2019-2020 - Slow venlafaxine taper ended up at 3 beads in mid 2020 pretty flawless taper with minimal withdrawal Symptoms was on 10-20mg PRN adderall during this time  // Jan 2021-March 2021 Miscarriage, Adderall CT, Vaccine still on 3 beads // April 2021-July 2021 Start experiencing withdrawal type symptoms, depression anxiety not sure why - increased to 5-10 beads over two months // July 2021

Pregnant // August 2021

tried to wean down back to 3 beads // September 2021 Hard crash - insomnia, akathisia, panic attacks, cortisol rushes, constant adrenaline rushes, depression, no appetite, nausea on and off, muscle pain // current: October 7th Reinstated 37.5mg of Venlafaxine 200mg Trazadone // 5-10 mg of propranolol 

trying to stay off

• Administrator

Welcome, @Ktven48

Thanks for those daily notes. Why are you taking Unisom with 200mg trazodone?

Are you taking any other drugs?

To help us out, follow these instructions Please summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

The trazadone used to to give me flawless deep sleep. Now it’s only working for a few hours at most. I sleep at 11pm and wake up at 1am/2am and need to go back to sleep so I take 25mg of Unisom. It will usually get me another hour or two and then I toss and turn.

I’m trying to see if I will stabilize or improve on the 37.5. It’s now been 11 days since increasing and I can’t tell. Instead of akathisia type mental agitation (which is still with me but not as bad) I’ve been having more physical anxiety in the past week or so. Burning sensations, face flushing, chest tightness, butterflies, on and off throughout the day. 

Here’s a schedule of my dose increases after my rash updosing and deceasing causing major crash end of august;

3 balls caused crash

9/5-9/9 - 8 balls

9/10-9/13- 9 balls

sped up to get to 10 balls where I last felt okay

9/14-9/19- 10 balls still suffering

9/20-9/24- 11 balls no improvement in one month of dose increases. No worsening symptoms due to increases

9/25-10/7- 12 balls - no real improvement 

10/7 I increase to 37.5 because I listen to my DR who says I should probably remain on a a dose of something in case PPD returns. I caved.

I believe I am seeing more windows but I can’t be sure. It seems like on Only on Sundays I get some relief. Some evenings I get relief for a few hours.  I want to take better notes. 

Actually it seems like my back pain is getting worse. I’m not big yet with my pregnancy so I think it’s a withdrawal symptom. Does that sound right? All my muscles ache like I’ve been swimming laps all day. 

Dec 2017

Pregnant // August 2021

trying to stay off

since I increased to 37.5 I moved my dosing time from 9/9:30pm to 6:30pm I thought I did it slowly enough but maybe not. Could that cause symptoms? A lot of my cortisol rushes and face flushing this past week has been 1-2 hours before my dose

Dec 2017

Pregnant // August 2021

trying to stay off

The fancy city psychiatrist who cost me an arm and a leg says I’m sensitive to serotonin due to my bad reaction to Zoloft and due to my increased anxiety right now (she said nothing about withdrawal)  She wants me to start Wellbutrin since it doesn’t affect serotonin. I don’t think I will - my husband and I have just been desperate.

if I couldn’t handle serotonin why would I be fine on Ven for years? 

that’s why I still think it’s withdrawal 

Dec 2017

Pregnant // August 2021

trying to stay off

• Administrator

I need to see your drug history summarized in your signature before any more explanation.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

10/18 evening - 10/19

Trazadone 200mg 

Fall asleep - 10:30 pm 

Wake up bathroom - 11;15pm

Wake up - 2am able to fall back asleep

Wake up- 4am able to fall back asleep

no need to take Unisom very rare

Wake up - 6:30 with heart pounding and cortisol rush lie in bed until 7:30

7:30am- wake up anxious shakey feeling

Generally just restless. Have been like this for 7 weeks just waiting for moments of calm 

8am- not a big appetite force myself to eat cereal 

Feeling a little queasy 

Throw up breakfast

8:30 - 5 mg propranolol to calm heart 

9am- son and husband leave I lay in bed like most days

9am-10am - resting trying to calm anxiety maybe doze off for a few minutes , panic or anxiety abruptly awakens or alarms me 

10:30am - able to drink some of a protein shake 

This is where I still suffer most of the day - after my morning rest I’ll have an inner restlessness that will not go away like mental akathisia. I will try and distract with random chores.  In and out of bed. 

I try not to spiral thinking of the beautiful fall weather and how life is passing me by. I also try and not think about the baby but that makes me even more sad. I just want to feel calm inside.  It’s been almost seven weeks since I crashed and increased my dose. I’ve had only random hours of windows? Will I ever get better?! 

Also Trying to figure out what’s giving me nausea. And why I sleep better some nights.  A part of me think it’s something to do with the propranolol. I just don’t know yet. 

I feel hopeless and stuck with this anxiety forever. It is relentless. 

Dec 2017

Pregnant // August 2021

trying to stay off

The psychiatrist said I will probably not stabilize or get better on the Venlafaxine because of my issue with serotonin. It was so hard to hear these words when I’m trying to stay positive. I was stable on Ven for a few years. I was able to work at a great tech start up and make lots of friends - I was so happy. 

I keep trying to remind myself this has to be withdrawal from dropping to those 3 beads too fast after being on 10 for a few months when I found out I was pregnant. but sometimes I think I don’t know what to think

my husband says what can it hurt to try the Wellbutrin. I keep telling him no but when I am not getting better it’s harder to resist trying anything. 

Being practically bed ridden for 7 weeks it’s hard to see the improvement.  I hope more daily notes I can tell 

I really wish I didn’t add in the propranolol because I don’t know what effects I’m having from it. 

this is why this site is so great. You push people not to add stuff. It just adds confusion to the whole mess. 

Dec 2017

Pregnant // August 2021

trying to stay off

• Mentor

@Ktven48  Hi, I am sorry you are going through this.  These drugs are strong and make changes in our brains.  I hear the panic and fear in your voice.  Take a deep breath and don't make any rash discussions.  Be careful of getting on a drug merry-go-round.  I did this last winter and I am still trying to stabilize, plus poly drugged.  Your nervous system is very irritated right now.  I can't tell you what to do but I would take the advice of the mods before a doc.  Most  doctors don't understand/or even believe in WD.   You can stabilize but it will take time.

Have you had a chance to look around the site to help you learn more about these drugs, get helpful idea's for coping.

If you want someone directly hit the @ key and type in their name click on it and tag them.

Post and reach out for help from the members.

We will help you out as much as we can❤️

Remember you are not alone, the site is full of members trying to find our way out of the maze that these drugs created in their our brains.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/24894-greatful-is-this-withdrawal-or-to-many-med-changes-at-once/

1995? Prozac,  tried several Paxil, Serzone, St John's Wart back to Prozac and Trazodone ct:d Traz

Lexapro. Tried to stop Crash in 2015  Kindled   Hospitalized, Vybrid, Seroquel, Effexor, Abilify  Pristiq, Wellbutrin-- 2016  ended back on   Prozac and Lamictal 200mg

5/2020  thru 12/2020 taper from 20mg  Prozac  down to 3mg.  Crashed  12/13/2020 Zoloft 50mg 1/29ct  1/29/2021 Seroquel 50mg ct  2/12/2021 Wellbutrin 75mg.  Became hypo manic 2/1  6ct Trazodone 50mg 4/25  25mg 2/5/ 2021 Lamictal 150mg.  2/24  100mg   4/9  75mg   4/21 37.5 

2/16/2021 Seroquel 50xr  3/3 100mg  3/17  150mg  side effects ct   4/3 2021 Lexapro 5mg  4/14  7.5mg  4/30 10mg  5/10  7.5mg 

2021/ 5/16  5mg Lexapro   37.5 Lamictal   25mg trazadone,   xanax  .0625mg  3x a day   

Lexapro  Taper> Sept/01/2021  4.90mg>  Sept/25  4.75mg>   Oct/19 4.69mg > Nov/14 4.2mg    Jan/30/2022-- Split dosing 2x a day All liquid  4.2mg  (2.20mg at 8am & 2mg at 4pm) 2/17 4mg>  2/24  3.8mg  slow taper to  Aug/12/2022 2.04mg  2023> 2mg,  1.90mg, 1.80mg, 1.70mg, 1.5mg, 1.4mg, 1.3mg 1.2mg, 1.1mg, 1mg, 0.9mg, 0.8mg, 0.7mg 0.65mg, 0.6mg, 0.55mg, 0.5mg, 0.45mg, 0.4mg, 0.35mg, 0.3mg, 0.25,mg, back to once a day dosing 0 .1mg, 0.07mg , 0.05mg 4/1/2024   0

Lamictal  taper  4/17/ 2022 25mg, 9/9/ 22 -20mg, 9/25/22- 15mg , 10/20/22-   0

Trazodone..2023.>down to 14mg, 7mg, 6mg  July 2023   0

Xanax  0.0625 3 x a day,  2023>  0.042 3x a day

Supplements  Magnesium glycinate, Omega 3, D3, vitamin c , zinc, NAC 

Thank you so much @Greatful

I am pretty adamant about not taking the Wellbutrin. Especially since one of the side effects is anxiety and I’ve been reading that a lot of people experience it since it’s a “stimulant” - I couldn’t possibly add anymore anxiety to my body right now. Also I hate adderall with a passion since it took over my life for a while I never want another stimulant type drug again 

Dec 2017

Pregnant // August 2021

trying to stay off

• Mentor

@Ktven48 

Your welcome.  I remember when I first started my journey here on SA, how scared and lost I felt.  Try to learn as many coping skills as you can and keep reaching out.  You are never alone.  I like to tell people SA is like a life raft that covers the whole world, so grab on, hold on tight and you will do just fine.  You  will see you have more strength and determination in you then you ever knew.

I did the horrible drug start stop trying to stop the panic of WD, nothing worked, my system became so over sensitized.  It is amazing how vulnerable we are when we feel so awful, full of panic and fear,  we will do just about anything to stop the pain.  All I could do for months was poor over the site, reach out to people and know that I was not alone, other people were feeling the same things as me.  I connected with a few members and they have been my rock and encouragement.

Remember as awful as the anxiety is it is only a sensation in your body and it will not hurt you.  You mind want you to run, find a fix, but that only add to the sensation.  Anxiety will only reach a certain point then that's it and you will never out run it.

Oh yeah, learn to use your meditation to not get caught up in the thought spirals that happen in WD.  Around here we say they are just thought and they can't hurt you.  Your thoughts may become very morphed and seem so real.  

Around here you will see a few things mentioned a lot.   Acceptance, patience, self kindness, and time to name a few.

I am sorry about you miscarriage.  

Let's get you in a calmer place so you can focus on your pregnancy and your young family. 

Take it slow and don't put a lot of expectations on yourself.  When I was really bad my hubby did most of the cooking, it wasn't anything fancy, but I was so nauseated and no appetite it was all I could do to eat.

Remember you will  be okay.☺️

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/24894-greatful-is-this-withdrawal-or-to-many-med-changes-at-once/

1995? Prozac,  tried several Paxil, Serzone, St John's Wart back to Prozac and Trazodone ct:d Traz

Lexapro. Tried to stop Crash in 2015  Kindled   Hospitalized, Vybrid, Seroquel, Effexor, Abilify  Pristiq, Wellbutrin-- 2016  ended back on   Prozac and Lamictal 200mg

5/2020  thru 12/2020 taper from 20mg  Prozac  down to 3mg.  Crashed  12/13/2020 Zoloft 50mg 1/29ct  1/29/2021 Seroquel 50mg ct  2/12/2021 Wellbutrin 75mg.  Became hypo manic 2/1  6ct Trazodone 50mg 4/25  25mg 2/5/ 2021 Lamictal 150mg.  2/24  100mg   4/9  75mg   4/21 37.5 

2/16/2021 Seroquel 50xr  3/3 100mg  3/17  150mg  side effects ct   4/3 2021 Lexapro 5mg  4/14  7.5mg  4/30 10mg  5/10  7.5mg 

2021/ 5/16  5mg Lexapro   37.5 Lamictal   25mg trazadone,   xanax  .0625mg  3x a day   

Lexapro  Taper> Sept/01/2021  4.90mg>  Sept/25  4.75mg>   Oct/19 4.69mg > Nov/14 4.2mg    Jan/30/2022-- Split dosing 2x a day All liquid  4.2mg  (2.20mg at 8am & 2mg at 4pm) 2/17 4mg>  2/24  3.8mg  slow taper to  Aug/12/2022 2.04mg  2023> 2mg,  1.90mg, 1.80mg, 1.70mg, 1.5mg, 1.4mg, 1.3mg 1.2mg, 1.1mg, 1mg, 0.9mg, 0.8mg, 0.7mg 0.65mg, 0.6mg, 0.55mg, 0.5mg, 0.45mg, 0.4mg, 0.35mg, 0.3mg, 0.25,mg, back to once a day dosing 0 .1mg, 0.07mg , 0.05mg 4/1/2024   0

I fear everyday I’ll be stuck like this and I won’t be able to care to my baby. Or we won’t connect because I’ll be too anxious/depressed. I feel like I have it so bad because I’m pretty much on a time limit with my recovery. I have to feel better by March. The pressure is so intense 

Dec 2017

Pregnant // August 2021

trying to stay off

10/19

11am - take dog for walk - anxiety in the background - able to appreciate the nice fall weather

11:30 - feeling jolt of energy. Still feel Corisol / adrenaline  but able to put in background and do a lot of chores throughout the house. Feeling a bit more hopeful.

12:30- first time in 7 weeks I am leaving to go to the store by myself. I take another 5mg propranolol to prevent panic attack while out. go to Old Navy and pick out some fall clothes for my son

2pm- back home finishing up some chores. Feel anxiety in the background building up a bit. 
3pm- Axniety getting stronger / cleaning / watching TV

4pm- still anxious - doom feelings coming in strong like I’ll never get better and how will I ever feel normal again

5pm- lower mood watching TV before my son gets home. Staring to get anxious about tomorrow morning since this morning was so bad. Trying to be accepting of my situation. Hoping I don’t have a huge cortisol rush like I’ve been having in the evenings before my dose. I can somewhat handle the background anxiety

5:30- upper back really starting to be uncomfortable and aching 

Dec 2017

Pregnant // August 2021

trying to stay off

10/19 cont. 

night 13 of Ven updose 

6pm - back muscles really in pain , headache starting 

6:30pm - take 37.5 Venlafaxine 

7:30pm - starting to calm down. Have been in a good mood generally today. Except the constant flood of anxiety physical symptoms which bring me lower 

8:00pm- late dinner able to eat a little bit of pizza and soup / still have anxiety symptoms in the background 

having occasional thoughts of scared for the future 

9:00pm- still anxious , 600mg mag citrate is helping - getting sleepy/tired - hope for the best for sleeping and better days tomorrow 

Dec 2017

Pregnant // August 2021

trying to stay off

10/20

Terrible sleep maybe an hour or two. Tossed and turned all night 

6:30- “woke” laid in bed

7am- less heart beating / cortisol rush than yesterday - felt generally ok with a little anxiety 

8am-nausea threw up (might be the baby but it’s weird I had no nausea in the first trimester and I wasn’t withdrawing either)

8:30- say goodbye to husband/son. Feed breakfast to the pets

9-10:30am- try to nap but not happening s anxiety is 2.5/5 

11-12pm - Walk dog . Still nausea very low depressed mood. Maybe combination of no sleep/nausea/ withdrawal. Mood was better yesterday but with higher anxiety. 

12-1pm - laying in bed so wiped out but mental akathisia is preventing me from napping. Feel restless inside and not sure what to do with myself 

1-2pm: run to grocery store trying not to let myself be bed ridden forever 

I’m truly terrified this akathisia  / inner restless / agitation will not leave me. Am I stuck like this? I just want to feel calm inside myself. it’s been so long. The hours are so long. Everyday is a battle. The insomnia is killing me. 

I am losing any hope I will stabilize 

Dec 2017

Pregnant // August 2021

trying to stay off

@Frogie

@Altostrata

hi I know your knowledgeable about benzos I wanted to ask if I could be experiencing some kind of benzo use issue

my symptoms are so up and down which I know is apart of withdrawal but I’m wondering if some of the problem is the klonopin I’ve been using irregularly 

the first week of my crash I was using 

anywhere from .25-.50 a night or every other night 

9/5-9/10 (I should have taken better record)

then

9/15- .25

9/27- .25

(maybe another .25 somewhere in between these weeks)

10/3- .125

10/5 - .50

10/6 - .25 & .112

10/16 - .112

im just trying to figure out this random nausea that happens two/three days out of the week . And days with spikes in anxiety like yesterday 10/19

Dec 2017

Pregnant // August 2021

trying to stay off

@Ktven48

Taking a benzo here and there can cause problems unfortunately. If you’re going to take the klonopin you really need to be on a regular schedule since you’ve taken off and on over 2 weeks. It takes about 2 weeks to become dependent on a benzo.

If I were you I would take .25 mg and space it out to 3 doses a day until you stabilize on it. Just an example schedule would be .25 mg at 7:00 am, .25 mg at 1:00 pm and .25 mg at 7:00 pm.

Can you provide some notes for a couple of days as to what time you take your meds and the symptoms you have. We can go from there.

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

@Frogie

thanks so much for your insight! 

As I’m pregnant I just want to stop completely - now realizing how quick it can be to get dependent I’m pretty mad at myself. I told my husband to get rid of them - if I have panic attacks I’ll just have to deal or take a Benadryl. I also have propranolol which helps. 

What should I expect in the upcoming week/weeks? My last dose was 10/16. More nausea and heightened anxiety? How long will that continue for?? How long until it’s all out of my body ??

Dec 2017

Pregnant // August 2021

trying to stay off

I can’t tell you how long your symptoms may last. Some it doesn’t last long, and some it lingers. Being pregnant could have a lot to do with your nausea. Maybe eat some saltines and drink some ginger ale. 

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

On 10/18/2021 at 8:45 PM, Ktven48 said:

The trazadone used to to give me flawless deep sleep. Now it’s only working for a few hours at most. I sleep at 11pm and wake up at 1am/2am and need to go back to sleep so I take 25mg of Unisom. It will usually get me another hour or two and then I toss and turn.

I’m trying to see if I will stabilize or improve on the 37.5. It’s now been 11 days since increasing and I can’t tell. Instead of akathisia type mental agitation (which is still with me but not as bad) I’ve been having more physical anxiety in the past week or so. Burning sensations, face flushing, chest tightness, butterflies, on and off throughout the day. 

Here’s a schedule of my dose increases after my rash updosing and deceasing causing major crash end of august;

3 balls caused crash

9/5-9/9 - 8 balls

9/10-9/13- 9 balls

sped up to get to 10 balls where I last felt okay

9/14-9/19- 10 balls still suffering

9/20-9/24- 11 balls no improvement in one month of dose increases. No worsening symptoms due to increases

9/25-10/7- 12 balls - no real improvement 

10/7 I increase to 37.5 because I listen to my DR who says I should probably remain on a a dose of something in case PPD returns. I caved.

I believe I am seeing more windows but I can’t be sure. It seems like on Only on Sundays I get some relief. Some evenings I get relief for a few hours.  I want to take better notes. 

Actually it seems like my back pain is getting worse. I’m not big yet with my pregnancy so I think it’s a withdrawal symptom. Does that sound right? All my muscles ache like I’ve been swimming laps all day. 

hi  I feel you, I'm also tapering trazodone right now Im in WD, my main WD is heat in my back,  it's the most thing I cannot deal with, feel better soon.

JOINED THIS BOARD AUGUST 27, 2017

250mg trazodone

250mg   Aug 21, 2017  tapering before I found SA

200mg -  Aug 21, 2017 to Aug 25, 2017 tapering before found SA

225mg -  Aug 26, 2017  updose holding

November 26, 2017. I reinstated my original dose of 250mg  trazodone..planning on holding for a very long time. No more withdrawal

June 14, 2020  at 10% 507  My first start of my trazodone 250mg  taper

6/16/20  90 mgai    7/26/20   81 mgai    9/6/20  72 mg ai 10/17/20- updose to 77 mgai  11/11/20- updose to 81 mgai  

It’s terrible I have two things to taper. But I told myself not to worry about traz until I’m done with the Venlafaxine. So sorry you’re in the thick of it as well.

Dec 2017

Pregnant // August 2021

trying to stay off

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Ktven48 said:

Were you doing this before your "crash" in September?

How do you feel after 2 weeks on 37.5mg of Venlafaxine, 200mg Trazodone, 5-10 mg of propranolol? What times o'clock do you take each of your drugs, with their dosages? Have you accidentally forgotten any doses?

Is it possible you have nausea related to your pregnancy?

• Mentor

@Ktven48

18 hours ago, Ktven48 said:

I’m truly terrified this akathisia  / inner restless / agitation will not leave me. Am I stuck like this? I just want to feel calm inside myself. it’s been so long. The hours are so long. Everyday is a battle.

I can relate to the inner restlessness/panic/agitation.  It can be very unsettling and frightening.  There are many coping skills to help relieve the personal connection with assign to the feelings.  Claire Weeks has a ton of you-tube videos on how to accept anxiety,  I know that  chemical anxiety is really hard to work with but you can minimize your attachment to it.  

On 10/19/2021 at 3:58 PM, Ktven48 said:

I fear everyday I’ll be stuck like this and I won’t be able to care to my baby. Or we won’t connect because I’ll be too anxious/depressed. I feel like I have it so bad because I’m pretty much on a time limit with my recovery. I have to feel better by March. The pressure is so intense 

Meditate, Meditate, Meditate.  Find a way to understand that these are just thought, your brain is not working right at this time and everything is morphed.  You are also fortune telling in your mind of things to come and how bad it will be.  Slow the thoughts down.   You will never out think your thoughts.  Learn that they are just thoughts and can't hurt you.  Learn which one you want to follow and which ones are only causing you distress and most are not even true.  You are and will always be okay.  No, you may not be were you want to be but stay in the day, be kind to yourself, trust that you will do the best that you can with each day and each symptom. 

Believe me when I say I know how hard it is to do and how easy it is to get sucked into a downward spiral. I have on the back of my mind, will I be able to go back to work in Jan.  Then the negative thoughts come in, I take it personal that I am the way I am, dysfunctional, thoughts that create paranoia, fear, depression.  I forget that I am going through something I have very little control over and  I am doing the best that I can.  Yes I beat myself up that I should be coping better, and healing faster, but what good are the neg thoughts, accept that they may come and chose not to follow them and  then reminder yourself that you are human and doing the best that you can.  Refocus on something else.

Here are a few quotes you can print out and put around your house

It is my reaction to my symptoms and not my symptoms that were causing my suffering.

The mind will never be able to cure the anxiety because it is causing it. You must shift your focus (attention) outside the mind.

Your brain has convinced you that you must think about it. But it’s your brain that created the problem so it will never fix it.

I saw you mention on Bea81 that you husband has noticed some improvement, that is a good sign that things are moving in the right direction.

Keep a journal, this will help you look back and see there is small improvements.  I know too small to get to excited about😖, but they do add up.☺️

Really one day at a time.  You can focus better, on today if you let tomorrow go.  We all can get through the day because we are strong and the day goes by.  But we can't get through tomorrow because it is not hear yet.  Our minds are powerful, we need to learn how to reframe our thoughts to help get through this.  Like the little blue train "I think I can I think I can" .  Well we are going to take it one step farther. 

I know I can, I know I can❤️

You are doing great, you are trying to piece together your situation the best that you can and working on how to cope with it.❤️

Thank you so much @Greatful I needed to read this. I am getting so tired of this journey but I need to keep pushing forward and believe in recovery. My old self seems so foreign to me? But I will get back there again. I  must believe it

Dec 2017

Pregnant // August 2021

trying to stay off

@Greatful baby started kicking - it gives me brief moments of joy and love 

Dec 2017

Pregnant // August 2021

trying to stay off

• Mentor

@Ktven48

Wow that is great.  Is this the first time you felt it?  I remember the little flutters the first few times.

Please be kind to yourself and take as much pressure off yourself as you can.  That means do not take on any extra work, slow down and let yourself heal and nourish yourself and the baby.  Let extra housework go, do what feels right for you that day. Your body is doing triple duty right now, healing from WD, growing a baby, and just the normal things it does just to function.🥰

• Administrator

Please answer the questions I asked above.

19 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Were you doing this before your "crash" in September?

How do you feel after 2 weeks on 37.5mg of Venlafaxine, 200mg Trazodone, 5-10 mg of propranolol? What times o'clock do you take each of your drugs, with their dosages? Have you accidentally forgotten any doses?

Is it possible you have nausea related to your pregnancy?

Were you taking a benzo often but irregularly before your "crash" in September?

@Altostrata

no I maybe used .25 klonopin once or twice the entire year before my crash. 
i am very sensitive to meds. I think I’m having terrible rebound anxiety from the times I have taken it recently 

Dec 2017

Pregnant // August 2021

trying to stay off

• Administrator
On 10/20/2021 at 3:59 PM, Ktven48 said:

then

9/15- .25

9/27- .25

(maybe another .25 somewhere in between these weeks)

10/3- .125

10/5 - .50

10/6 - .25 & .112

10/16 - .112

This is your estimate of your benzo use.

What about nausea related to your pregnancy?

I had no nausea all the way up until withdrawal. I find it super odd to have random nausea in my second trimester when it usually subsides if you do get it. Maybe it’s just withdrawal nausea that comes and goes? Maybe I’m grasping at straws trying to attach my suffering to a reason. And if I stop the klonopin It will get better 

Dec 2017

Pregnant // August 2021

trying to stay off

• Administrator

You got pregnant in July? Please confer with an obstetrician about possible pregnancy-related nausea.

If nausea is your primary symptom right now, it may have nothing to do with withdrawal.

On 10/19/2021 at 8:56 AM, Ktven48 said:

The psychiatrist said I will probably not stabilize or get better on the Venlafaxine because of my issue with serotonin.

What issue with serotonin?

I’ve been have a few hours of windows during the afternoon/evenings which a welcome relief after 7 weeks. Still anxious before bed and wake up with terrible cortisol spikes and feeling of terror fear doom and depression. 

Can you tell me if there’s any relation to my Venlafaxine dose

last few days:

dose: 630pm

anxious feeling pop up between 9-10 

terrible anxiety In the morning - ease up between 1pm-3pm 

window until before bed.

does this sound like more anxiety during peak plasma of Ven? Or just normal cortisol schedule? I’m nervous about needing to decrease my dose 

Also I want to stop the propranolol @Altostrata do I need to taper?

it isn’t doing much for me and my panic is lessened. I’ve only continued really for weaning purposes.

I was take roughly 15-20mg for a week and now probably 5-10mg for a week. Adding on anymore withdrawal symptoms scares me

Dec 2017

Pregnant // August 2021

trying to stay off

On 10/21/2021 at 11:27 PM, Altostrata said:

You got pregnant in July? Please confer with an obstetrician about possible pregnancy-related nausea.

If nausea is your primary symptom right now, it may have nothing to do with withdrawal.

What issue with serotonin?

My psychiatrist said I was sensitive to SSRIs because of my bad reaction to Zoloft and my current anxiety fueled state on my Ven. She’s says I need a different type of med 

all this even though I was fine on Ven for 2 years so I feel like she’s not making sense 

Dec 2017

Pregnant // August 2021

trying to stay off

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Ktven48 said:

My psychiatrist said I was sensitive to SSRIs because of my bad reaction to Zoloft and my current anxiety fueled state on my Ven.

It's good that your psychiatrist recognizes that you had an adverse reaction to sertraline. but I don't believe that explanation is correct.

You have a history of interesting psychiatric drug cocktails. Are you convinced you need all these drugs?

It is possible that you are having an adverse reaction to venlafaxine. Please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. Post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, in a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right. This can show if your symptoms are adverse effects from one of your drugs.

10/26
update: 

Having longer windows during the day - and a few hours each day when I actually feel like my old self. I hope this trend continues into windows that last multiple days. I may possibly be stabilizing on 37.5mg of Venlafaxine. Fingers crossed. 

I thought I would attribute some of my anxiety issues to the infrequent klonopin use but I think I was wrong with that

i stopped the  propranolol 5 days ago. I believe it was causing me MORE anxiety! I found a FB support group where this seems to be a trend. Withdrawing from it has its own set of struggles. I have irregular cortisol surges, nausea, face flushing, tingling skull, ice cold hands and feet, jitters, general nervousness some tinnitus snd muscle spasms/weakness. Many other report these issues as well. The shakey/general nervousness is completely different than my akathisia from my bad taper. 

Ever since stopping the prop my windows have gotten longer. Nausea has calmed down day 5. I’m not 100% positive it was a culprit or if it’s still withdrawal but the timing seems suspicious and having symptoms occur that I did not have in the beginning of withdrawal makes me believe it definitely played a huge role in delaying any healing.

I put this out as a warning to Anyone who desires to try a beta blocker for anxiety. It can come with a whole host of problems 

Dec 2017

Pregnant // August 2021

trying to stay off