SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Catina7: Effexor withdrawal / destabilized central nervous system

Catina7

• Mentor

Hello everyone,

This is my first post.  I'm not even sure if there is anything you'll be able to do for me other than to offer a kind word.  I evidently went too fast during my Effexor titration and have completely destabilized my central nervous system.  I didn't realize it until recently, but I think my nervous system had already been sensitized by trying to come off of antidepressants two previous times.  Starting in March 2020 I began what I thought was a slow titration of 10% per month of the Effexor.  I started out at about 200 tiny beads and got down to 21.  Then in September 2021 my central nervous system became completely destabilized and it hit me like a ton of bricks - adrenaline pumping through my body, severe anxiety/panic, and sleeplessness.  I went to the ER three times for relief and took lorazepam and Vistaril because I was desperate for relief (I am currently not taking anything).  I've had a couple nights since then that I've actually slept through the night, but most nights I feel so revved up that I can't sleep at all.  I did add back in just a few tiny beads of the Effexor a couple weeks ago (I now take 30), but for the most part I am just going to hold steady and not make any more changes until I reach some form of stability.  

My life has been completely upended by this and I have felt suicidal many times.  The only thing that gives me a glimmer of hope is the two nights that I actually slept through the night.  Other than that, I've hardly slept at all.  Every day has become a struggle to survive.  I realize that I am on a long road to recovery and may never be fully free from the Effexor.  I wanted to get off of it so I could treat my anxiety problems with more natural things, and now I'm dealing with more anxiety than I could ever imagine.  It's a very sad irony.  If I could turn back time I would never have started taking antidepressants 30 years ago.  

Any advice you could give me would be appreciated because I'm feeling pretty hopeless right now and didn't sleep a wink last night because I felt so revved up.

Edited by Catina7
Info added

Disclaimer:  This is not professional medical advice but is based on personal experience only.

1994 - 2017:  Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Seroquel, Buspar, Lorazepam, Xanax, Ambien

2005-present:  Trazodone 50 mg 

2017:  Effexor XR 37.5 >> 75 mg 

2020 (March):  Began 10% monthly taper of Effexor XR (got down to 12 mg)

2021 (September):  Completely crashed.  Went back up to 37.5 mg but in doing so I kindled myself for two years

2024:  1/1:  35.6 mg (-6 beads)  |  2/1:  33.8 mg (-11 beads)  |  3/1:  32.1 mg (-16 beads)

Reasons for starting psych meds:  PMDD/Depression, Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Other medications:  Levothyroxine 75 mcg

Supplements:  Dr. Berg's Electrolyte Powder on occasion   

• ChessieCat changed the title to Catina7: Effexor Withdrawal / Destabilized Central Nervous System
  • Catina7 changed the title to Effexor Withdrawal / Destabilized Central Nervous System
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Catina. Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.

Here is some information on withdrawal to get you started: 

Tips for tapering off venlafaxine (Effexor)

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain

Healing from antidepressants. Patterns of recovery video (4 minutes)

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

On 10/17/2021 at 5:41 AM, Catina7 said:

I did add back in just a few tiny beads of the Effexor a couple weeks ago (I now take 30), but for the most part I am just going to hold steady and not make any more changes until I reach some form of stability.  

Please let us know more about your taper and where you were at prior to adding back in Effexor. This thread on reinstatement may be useful to read: 

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

As you provide more information, we can better guide you in setting up your taper. Please continue to use this thread to ask questions and document your taper. 

• 1 year later...
  • Mentor

UPDATE:  Let's see....right after I made my first post over a year ago, my withdrawal symptoms got so severe that I became suicidal and ended up in a psychiatric hospital for a week.  I had the doctors there put me on the lowest dose of Effexor XR (37.5 mg) after getting down to about 12 mg.  I have been at 37.5 mg ever since and don't know if I will ever be free from it.  I now live in fear of what happens to me if I miss another dose (I was severely ill for three months in 2019 from missing a single dose).  Also, my brain is still trying to find some sort of stability from withdrawal.  Some days are better than others.  My main symptoms now are increased anxiety and intermittent headaches & nausea. 

One thing puzzles me, though...I find that whenever I am looking down for an extended period of time it seems to exacerbate my symptoms.  It's very, very strange...and I can't understand what could be going on inside my brain to be causing this.  Has anyone else dealt with this?

So, I'm just holding on as best as I can as my body and brain continue to heal.  Some days I get really, really down and discouraged because I feel that this drug has ruined me.  I don't know how many years I will be dealing with these difficulties.  I got so angry about what this drug has done to people that I wrote a letter to Pfizer, Viatris, the FDA, and contacted both major and minor news outlets.  I doubt anything will come of it, but it was therapeutic for me to express myself.

Thanks for reading/listening!

Catina7

Disclaimer:  This is not professional medical advice but is based on personal experience only.

1994 - 2017:  Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Seroquel, Buspar, Lorazepam, Xanax, Ambien

2021 (September):  Completely crashed.  Went back up to 37.5 mg but in doing so I kindled myself for two years

2024:  1/1:  35.6 mg (-6 beads)  |  2/1:  33.8 mg (-11 beads)  |  3/1:  32.1 mg (-16 beads)

• Moderator Emeritus
19 hours ago, Catina7 said:

One thing puzzles me, though...I find that whenever I am looking down for an extended period of time it seems to exacerbate my symptoms.  It's very, very strange...and I can't understand what could be going on inside my brain to be causing this.  Has anyone else dealt with this?

What does "exacerbate my symptoms" mean? Which symptoms become worse?

• Mentor
43 minutes ago, Shep said:

What does "exacerbate my symptoms" mean? Which symptoms become worse?

My anxiety will ramp up, my head really starts hurting, and then I'll start feeling more nauseous.  As I said, it's very puzzling to me but I definitely can tell there's a connection.

Catina, I experience the same. I, too, cannot seem to reduce Effexor without increased nausea and headache expecially when moving head in different directions or with bright light. I'm sorry I don't have answers, but want to let you know that you are not alone with these symptoms. Take care.

Prozac 10mg 1990-1999    -1999-2018 Effexor XR 75 mg capsules

-2018 Dr direct switched me from Effexor 75XR to Cymbalta 20mg XR and 20 mg Metoprolol following irregular heartbeat incident  -Late 2019 began worsening anxiety/ depression symptoms     -2020 Dr direct switched  back to 75 mg Effex XR   Symptoms worsened   -2021 Changed Dr and began therapy for GAD and worsening physical symptoms   -2022 Found this forum and began slow taper by removing beads -    6/7 - 6/10 Effexor 73.2mg  6/11-6/14  Effexor 72.9mg   nightmares, tinnitus, anxiety;  6/15- Effexor XR 72.6mg  6/16 - 6/20 Effexor XR 72.8   nausea, heart palpitations, anxiety, tinnitus 6/22-7/4 hold Effexor XR 72.9-73.1     7/5-7/11  Effexor XR 72.62  7/12 - 7/15  Effexor 72.6  bad symptoms 

7/16-7/17 Effexor XR upped to 72.9  7/18 Effexor XR 72.9  most symptoms gone  hold at 72.9 - 73.0   8/26 - 9/6  Trying to keep dosage under 73. Holding around 72.9 sometime 72.86 due to bead count  Having symptoms most days.

9/6-9/23    Holding at about 72.9-73. Still very ill. No improvement.

9/23 - 11/23  Still keeping dose around 72.9-73

11-23-Jan 14   Held until one week ago. Dropped to 72.75-72.81  terrible WD

1/14- present   Worse WD symptoms. Back to 73.10. Cannot seem to stabilize. 

2/2 - present Holding at about 73 hoping to stabilize  

3/19 - present Dropped to aprox 92.9-92.88. (vary from day to day.) Holding 

Take only Clarinex 5mg for allergies and the Effexor 73 XR. I cannot take any supplements. No caffeine, sugar, soy, gluten, dairy.

• Mentor
7 hours ago, rmce72a said:

Catina, I experience the same. I, too, cannot seem to reduce Effexor without increased nausea and headache expecially when moving head in different directions or with bright light. I'm sorry I don't have answers, but want to let you know that you are not alone with these symptoms. Take care.

What a relief to know that I'm not alone....thank you!  Our poor, poor brains....ugh!  

I agree about our brains. I asked my dr two weeks ago for a referral to a neurologist. I am convinced that my CNS is damaged in some way. My appt isn't until Jan 17, so I won't have any info soon, but will let you know what he says. Please keep in touch. Take care.  Rebecca

-2018 Dr direct switched me from Effexor 75XR to Cymbalta 20mg XR and 20 mg Metoprolol following irregular heartbeat incident  -Late 2019 began worsening anxiety/ depression symptoms     -2020 Dr direct switched  back to 75 mg Effex XR   Symptoms worsened   -2021 Changed Dr and began therapy for GAD and worsening physical symptoms   -2022 Found this forum and began slow taper by removing beads -    6/7 - 6/10 Effexor 73.2mg  6/11-6/14  Effexor 72.9mg   nightmares, tinnitus, anxiety;  6/15- Effexor XR 72.6mg  6/16 - 6/20 Effexor XR 72.8   nausea, heart palpitations, anxiety, tinnitus 6/22-7/4 hold Effexor XR 72.9-73.1     7/5-7/11  Effexor XR 72.62  7/12 - 7/15  Effexor 72.6  bad symptoms 

7/16-7/17 Effexor XR upped to 72.9  7/18 Effexor XR 72.9  most symptoms gone  hold at 72.9 - 73.0   8/26 - 9/6  Trying to keep dosage under 73. Holding around 72.9 sometime 72.86 due to bead count  Having symptoms most days.

Take only Clarinex 5mg for allergies and the Effexor 73 XR. I cannot take any supplements. No caffeine, sugar, soy, gluten, dairy.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Catina7: Effexor withdrawal / destabilized central nervous system

Carina, I just want to reach out and say you’re not alone in the destabilization. The word “destabilize” is the only accurate word to describe what happens. Don’t give up hope. Give yourself this time to rest and heal from the fire of withdrawal.

July 2008: Began 150mg Effexor. January 2014: Five week taper off effexor. Off for four months before hospitalization and reinstatement

May 2014: 150mg Effexor and added 150mg Lamictal. March 2018: Five week taper off Effexor but stayed on 150mg Lamical. Mass destabilization began in July. Was trialed on celexa, remeron, latuda, and pristiq over six weeks. Added 1mg Ativan only as needed.

September 2018: Restarted 150 mg Effexor and still remained on 150 mg Lamictal. January 2022: Up to 187.5 of effexor, still on 150mg lamictal

October 2022: Down to 150 mg of effexor. March 2023: Down to 112.5 of effexor and down to 125 of Lamictal. May 2023: Bad break up triggers a wave, went up to 150mg of lamictal but stayed at 112.5 of effexor. Septmeber 2023: Down to 75 mg of Effexor. January 16: Bad wave after smoking weed. January 30: 76.2 mg of effexor. February 10: 77.4 of effexor.

• Mentor

I have been on Trazodone for many, many years!  I was just reading the initial post (in the Tips for Tapering Trazodone topic) about how awful it is!  I'm scared to death!  I'm currently taking 37.5 mg of Venlafaxine but am still experiencing a sensitized CNS from withdrawal.  I am taking 50 mg of Trazodone at night.  I am afraid to make any more changes to anything until I stabilize!  After I stabilize, should I try to get off the Trazodone first before I titrate down any further on the Effexor?  Thanks in advance for your advice.  Oh, I hate all these drugs and am so angry for letting myself be on them for so long! 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic info before merging with Intro

• Moderator Emeritus

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first? (<--this is a link to more information)

If you're not having an adverse reaction from the other medications, taper the most activating drug first. This is usually an antidepressant or stimulant (ADHD drug).

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Mentor
13 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first? (<--this is a link to more information)

If you're not having an adverse reaction from the other medications, taper the most activating drug first. This is usually an antidepressant or stimulant (ADHD drug).

Thank you.  I never had an adverse reaction with the Trazodone, but I'm wondering if it's now somehow contributing to my withdrawal issues.  Plus, I'm not sure I'll ever get off this evil Effexor.  I'm not sure I want to experience any more of the hell I've been going through.  Thanks for responding though!

• Mentor
On 11/23/2022 at 6:58 PM, rmce72a said:

I agree about our brains. I asked my dr two weeks ago for a referral to a neurologist. I am convinced that my CNS is damaged in some way. My appt isn't until Jan 17, so I won't have any info soon, but will let you know what he says. Please keep in touch. Take care.  Rebecca

I hope your neurologist will be able to help you.  I was sent to one a few months ago b/c my psych nurse said, "Well, what if your headaches AREN'T caused by your withdrawal?  What if you have brain tumor or something?"  So, just to appease her, I made an appointment with one (even though I KNEW what was causing my headaches).  My MRI was normal (which I knew it would be), and my neurologist said that with things like headaches it's very hard to treat, especially if the MRI is normal.  I hope you have more success with yours than I did with mine.  I know many times neurologists can be very helpful!  Please keep me posted on your progress.

• Mentor

Boy, today was an especially rotten day.  Woke up to feeling dizzy.  Nasty, nasty headache.  Severe nauseousness.  Yuck!  I laid down pretty much the entire day.  When I'm feeling especially hellish, I find that the heating pad is my best friend (along with my snuggly kitties who comfort me).  I'll put the heating pad on my pillow and just rest my head on it.  Then after awhile I'll place it on the front of my head.  Then after that I'll put it on my abdomen.  It really soothes my pain and discomfort.  I also gambled and took a chance with taking 2 Bonine tablets for motion sickness.  After a long time they seemed to give me some relief.  I was worried that I might have a bad reaction (I didn't do my research first), but so far so good.  I hope it stays that way.  Boy, I never knew one person could feel so sick.  These drugs are absolute poison!  

• Mentor

Thankfully, I feel much better today.  Those 2 pills of Bonine I took yesterday really helped.  Other than my head still hurting a bit I feel pretty good.  I've made peace now with these horrible WD waves.  Whenever they come on, I just buckle up and ride it out, knowing that it will get better eventually.  Instead of wallowing in my misery, I think about what I can do to help my situation.  I utilize every coping skill I can think of.  I try to separate myself and who I am from the symptoms that I am experiencing, if that makes any sense.  I am making peace with getting through life feeling unwell at times.  Thankfully, I have a low stress life and have lots of time for self care.  If I didn't, things would be a lot worse.  My heart goes out to everyone who is fighting this fight.  It truly helps to know that I'm not alone.

I am so glad you are feeling better. Please take care. You are not alone.

• Mentor

Thank you!  I don't feel 100% better but I'm better than what I was...hugs to you!!!  😍

• Mentor
On 11/23/2022 at 10:57 PM, KimMk said:

Carina, I just want to reach out and say you’re not alone in the destabilization. The word “destabilize” is the only accurate word to describe what happens. Don’t give up hope. Give yourself this time to rest and heal from the fire of withdrawal.

Aww thank you for your comforting words...they mean a lot! 😍

• 1 month later...
  • Mentor

You say you want to hear how we're doing, so here goes:  I'm doing better than I was.  The sensitivity to motion and feeling motion sick is much, much better!  I've just been having a lot of anxiety and heart palpitations.  For the most part I've been sleeping very well.  I'm holding steady at 37.5 mg of Venlafaxine (Effexor).  As soon as I feel like my nervous system can handle it, I want to attempt to decrease my dose a little and see how I do.  It scares me, but we'll see.  I feel so limited, however, with being able to be around people.  Even engaging in one animated conversation can increase my anxiety so much.  I feel emotionally handicapped and very isolated sometimes.  My nervous system just has a very hard time with any stimulation or stress.  I'm hanging in the best I can.  

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the update, @Catina7 Very glad to read of the improvements. The fact that you're sleeping well is a great sign of resiliency. 

• Mentor
11 hours ago, Shep said:

Thanks for the update, @Catina7 Very glad to read of the improvements. The fact that you're sleeping well is a great sign of resiliency. 

Thank you Shep!  Your experience, along with others, gives me hope! 🙂

• 4 weeks later...

How Cantina. I am just checking in to see how you are doing. I, too, saw a neurologist 2 weeks ago. He is doing a brain CT in March (1st available date.) I am not expecting that any abnormality will be found. I am convinced this is all Effexor withdrawal. I started at 75 XR last June and am down to 73. Had to increase doseback to 73 when I tried to drop to 72.7 and symptoms were worse, if that's possible. My anxiety, heart palps, etc. are through the roof along with weird head turning feelings. I am about to give up hope. Sorry to be negative. Just another bad day I am trying to get through. After nearly 4 years of this, I just need some hope. Love to you, and I hope you are better.

• Mentor
22 minutes ago, rmce72a said:

How Cantina. I am just checking in to see how you are doing. I, too, saw a neurologist 2 weeks ago. He is doing a brain CT in March (1st available date.) I am not expecting that any abnormality will be found. I am convinced this is all Effexor withdrawal. I started at 75 XR last June and am down to 73. Had to increase doseback to 73 when I tried to drop to 72.7 and symptoms were worse, if that's possible. My anxiety, heart palps, etc. are through the roof along with weird head turning feelings. I am about to give up hope. Sorry to be negative. Just another bad day I am trying to get through. After nearly 4 years of this, I just need some hope. Love to you, and I hope you are better.

Hi there...I am so sorry you're having a rough time.  Trying to get off the Effexor has been the hardest thing I've ever had to go through in life.  Thankfully, my motion sickness feeling and problems with looking down has pretty much subsided.  The only thing I struggle with is just the constant anxiety.  I don't know how long it will take me to feel like I can even attempt to go down any further.  I'm currently taking 37.5 mg.  I want more than anything to be free from this drug, but I might be stuck on it for the foreseeable future.  Don't worry about sounding "negative."  I think you're just being realistic, and that's okay.  I do know how hard this is, and you are not alone!  Sending much love to you as well.  It was nice hearing from you.  We will just keep taking things one day at a time.  

Thank you for your response, Cantina. I think I I could live with most of the symptoms except for the terrible anxiety. I do have loud tinnitus too, but it is usually bearable unless I am especially panicky and then it is so loud! I have been seeing a therapist for 3 years who has taught me techniques for handling the panic and anxiety. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Today they don't. My doc and therapist referred me to a psychiatrist that I see on Friday to see if he has any suggestions. I am wondering what to say if he wants to prescribe a low-dose benzo. I certainly don't want to throw another drug to taper into the situation. Did you ever take a tranquilizer?

• Mentor
4 minutes ago, rmce72a said:

Thank you for your response, Cantina. I think I I could live with most of the symptoms except for the terrible anxiety. I do have loud tinnitus too, but it is usually bearable unless I am especially panicky and then it is so loud! I have been seeing a therapist for 3 years who has taught me techniques for handling the panic and anxiety. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Today they don't. My doc and therapist referred me to a psychiatrist that I see on Friday to see if he has any suggestions. I am wondering what to say if he wants to prescribe a low-dose benzo. I certainly don't want to throw another drug to taper into the situation. Did you ever take a tranquilizer?

Yes, the anxiety is unbearable...I know!  I know a tranquilizer would help in some ways, but in other ways it might compound things.  I was in another Effexor support group, and they didn't recommend adding on other drugs to deal with the side effects of the Effexor withdrawal.  I don't know what to tell you, I'm sorry.  When you updosed the last time, did that bring you any relief?  Could you updose a little more after some time?

Since the drug stopped working for me at 75mg, I have read that I have only 2 choices: increase or drop dosage. I am physically already in WD because by body has reach tolerance. I can give it more, but it will poop out again since by body tolerates it. Then I just have a higher dose to taper from. It's a lose-lose situation. I am going to be sick either way. It's not an addiction issue, but a tolerance once. As I understand it, the CNS neurons are so down-regulated that they no longer function as they naturally should because the drug has changed that. So updosing will not help.

• Mentor
1 hour ago, rmce72a said:

Since the drug stopped working for me at 75mg, I have read that I have only 2 choices: increase or drop dosage. I am physically already in WD because by body has reach tolerance. I can give it more, but it will poop out again since by body tolerates it. Then I just have a higher dose to taper from. It's a lose-lose situation. I am going to be sick either way. It's not an addiction issue, but a tolerance once. As I understand it, the CNS neurons are so down-regulated that they no longer function as they naturally should because the drug has changed that. So updosing will not help.

Okay, I understand.  So sorry...😥

• 3 weeks later...
  • Mentor
On 11/25/2022 at 12:03 PM, Catina7 said:

Oh, I hate all these drugs and am so angry for letting myself be on them for so long! 

I feel this way too sometimes, and it's tough! It's not our fault we trusted doctors, though. 

Pronouns: they/them/theirs 

Started on Prozac in early 2000s to treat cPTSD, been on various cocktails ever since.

2002-2004, 2017-2022: Buspar, tapered down to 0

2016-present: 100mg Seroquel for sleep -> May 2023: 90mg -> June 2023: 81mg -> September 2023: 72mg -> switched to brand name, much too strong, down to 60mg -> October 2023: 54mg -> November 2023: 50mg -> January 2024: 45mg

2016-Present: 100mg Wellbutrin SR -> January 2023: 75mg IR (37.5mg 2x a day) -> February 2023 (33.75mg 2x a day) -> July 2023 (30.37mg 2x a day) -> August 2023: 27.33mg 2x a day 

2018-present: 25mg Pristiq

2015-present: 600mg Gabapentin (200mg 3x a day) -> December 2022: 300mg Gabapentin (100mg 3x a day) per GP's recommendation after side effects -> March 2023: 90mg 3x a day (switched to liquid suspension) -> April 2023: 81mg 3x a day -> September 2023: bad generic, switched back to homemade liquid; too strong after bad generic, down to 70mg 3x a day, still bad. Adjusted slowly till at 60mg 3x a day, much better. Long hold till -> December 2023: 54mg, still feels too high after November Seroquel switch from brand name to generic, doc recommended 50mg which feels better -> January 2024: When Wellbutrin went down, Gabapentin started putting me to sleep, went down to 45mg, then 41mg to stay awake, so far so good -> February 2024: 36mg

Supplements: Multivitamin w/magnesium, probiotics, digestive enzymes, anti-viral nitric oxide nose spray as needed

• Mentor
12 hours ago, littlebird said:

I feel this way too sometimes, and it's tough! It's not our fault we trusted doctors, though. 

I think I have more distrust of doctors now than ever before!  I had one psych nurse that wanted to titrate me down so quickly on my Effexor that even the pharmacist was left bewildered when she was filling the prescription and was reading the directions.  It would have led to my killing myself.  Needless to say, I ditched her and turned to someone else that supported my slow tapering.  Some of these so-called "professionals" have no idea how to safely get people off psych meds.  Things need to change big time!

• 3 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi @Catina7, Just wanted to say that I enjoy reading your encouraging posts on other people’s threads. By the way, I love your avatar, it’s so cute! 

Sending you hugs🤗

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• Mentor
13 hours ago, Carmie said:

Hi @Catina7, Just wanted to say that I enjoy reading your encouraging posts on other people’s threads. By the way, I love your avatar, it’s so cute! 

Sending you hugs🤗

Aww that is so kind of you....thank you!  Sending you back big hugs!  🥰

• Mentor

Well, I think it's time for an UPDATE!  I have been holding at my current 37.5 mg dose of Venlafaxine/Effexor for over a year and a half now.  I think it was a crucial step to take since I titrated down too quickly in the beginning and then experienced a horrible crash.  I never, ever want to go through that again!  I almost didn't make it through.  But it taught me so much in terms of understanding this whole process.  I feel so much better prepared for when I begin my titration again in January of 2024.  

I experienced horrible heart palpitations and severe anxiety for a very long time; they have both since gotten better.  I am still very limited in what I can do in terms of socializing with people and taking on too many tasks.  If I push myself too much then my anxiety does increase and I find it hard to get to sleep at night.  I am thankful that I don't have to work and have lots of time for rest and self-care.

One thing that's happened that I didn't expect is for withdrawal to affect my vestibular system.  For some reason, I have a problem with looking downward for an extended period of time.  It somehow triggers symptoms such as headaches, slight dizziness, and nausea.  I actually hadn't had a problem with it for a while, but then a month ago I was addressing some envelopes and was looking down for about an hour.  I felt sicker and sicker as time went on.  It evidently caused a bit of damage from which I'm still trying to recover.  I even have a hard time scrolling through the internet because the motion makes me feel sick.  I'm going to start doing some vestibular rehab exercises and found some on YouTube.  I've also found that taking Dramamine helps, but I don't want to take it on a regular basis.  One thing I've learned, though, is that any symptoms are only temporary and it's our body's way of trying to repair and heal itself.  We just need to be patient while implementing whatever self-care modalities we can to help us endure.  As they say "This too shall pass..."

I am a bit scared and apprehensive of what is going to happen when I attempt to titrate down again.  I think I might try to decrease by 2.5% every two weeks (5% a month) with holding when necessary.  I will listen to my body and adjust accordingly...that is key!  I want so badly to get off this horrible drug.  When I missed a single dose back in October 2019 I suffered severe withdrawal symptoms for three entire months, even with going back on my regular dose the very next day.  It was a complete nightmare.  I don't want to live in fear of missing another dose of this evil drug.  I curse the day I suggested trying it.  I also have Trazodone to get off of as well.

In the meantime, I continue to learn from the wonderful moderators of this site and all my fellow warriors who are fighting this battle.  I am so grateful this site exists.  Thank you to everyone who volunteers their precious time to help, inform, and encourage others!  

• Mentor

I have been taking an electrolyte powder each night along with additional magnesium glycinate.  Although they help me to sleep, I'm going to refrain from taking them to see if it will calm my current withdrawal symptoms.  I have a sneaking suspicion that all the supplements might be the cause of them; I think my system is still sensitive to too many supplements.  I will let you all know how it goes!  

• Moderator Emeritus
13 hours ago, Catina7 said:

I have been taking an electrolyte powder each night along with additional magnesium glycinate.  Although they help me to sleep, I'm going to refrain from taking them to see if it will calm my current withdrawal symptoms.  I have a sneaking suspicion that all the supplements might be the cause of them; I think my system is still sensitive to too many supplements.  I will let you all know how it goes!  

Please only remove one supplement at a time. Since they're helping you sleep, you may have one or two items in the mix that you want to keep, but if you remove more than one at a time, you may not be able to tell which is helpful and which is harmful. Please see:

The rule of 3KIS: Keep it simple. Keep it slow. Keep it stable.

• Mentor
26 minutes ago, Shep said:

Please only remove one supplement at a time. Since they're helping you sleep, you may have one or two items in the mix that you want to keep, but if you remove more than one at a time, you may not be able to tell which is helpful and which is harmful. Please see:

The rule of 3KIS: Keep it simple. Keep it slow. Keep it stable.

Thanks for your advice 🙂.  I think the electrolyte powder is the one causing problems so I will cease taking it.  I will continue to take the magnesium glycinate and see how I do.  It's crazy how these supplements can mess us up! 

@Catina7  Hi Catina7!  I popped in over here because I liked what you had to say on other people's posts, and now I see you're a fellow bead counter!  🤹‍♀️😊  

That last 37.5 mg is a doozie, isn't it?!?  I think by the time I got down to 20 beads or so I could only lower by one per cut.   How on earth one little tiny bead can affect me like that, I'll never know, but it sure did.  Tapering that stuff rocked my world in just about every way, I had some real issues. That said, I was able to get off and stay off.  Now I'm tackling the other half of my drug cocktail that I was told I could easily quit 🙄🙄

I always enjoy reading your posts!

I am not a doctor and do not offer any medical advice, only my own experience.  Consult your physician.

2011-2015 tapered off 300MG of Effexor.  Back in the Paxil Progress days.  No rebound.   

2005-2021:  450 mg Bupropion XL Daily

2021 Buporopion May 450mg/June 400mg/July 375mg/Aug 10th 360mg/

2021 Dec - 150mg IR, 3x day = 450mg Bup, Heritage manufacturer-yellow color pill. 

2022 May 3 - 3 x 150mg IR Bup, Avet brand(pharmacist said they merged with Heritage-orange color) -migraines

REINSTATED-BACK TO MY LAST STABLE DOSE/TIME RELEASE

2022 June 5 - switched back to 3 x 150mg XL one time per day= 450 mg total Bup-Apotex brand

CURRENT TAPER 2022 Aug 31 - 450MG to 412MG IR Bup//Sep. 28, 2022: 412mg to 375mg//Oct 26, 2022: 375mg to 365 mg//Nov 21, 2022: 365mg to 327mg//Dec 27, 2022: 327 mg to 290 mg//Dec 31, 2022:  290mg to 262mg//Jan 28, 2023:  262mg to 190mg//Feb. 19, 2023:  190mg to 140mg//Mar. 18, '23:  140mg to 100mg//