Petition calling for tapering strips in the UK

Faure

• Mentor

Please consider signing the petition calling for tapering strips on the NHS in the UK.

https://www.change.org/p/provide-tapering-strips-to-help-people-withdraw-from-antidepressant-and-antipsychotic-drugs

Blurb:

Provide Tapering Strips through the NHS to help users who want to stop taking prescription drugs for anxiety & depression (antidepressants, antipsychotics, benzodiazepines and opioids).

Psychotropic prescription drugs can be very difficult for some people to stop taking because they can lead to dependence. Some users experience difficulties stopping or reducing their drugs even with the support of doctors and psychiatrists. Research indicates that around 50% of users will experience significant withdrawal effects, yet this is little recognised by doctors. Recently, the UK Royal College of Psychiatrists has accepted this is a problem with antidepressant drugs.

Because stopping or reducing these drugs is so difficult, many people feel trapped into taking these tablets for many years, giving them side effects and costing the NHS money in providing unnecessary prescriptions. In 2018 the NHS spent £202 million just on antidepressants.

Many of these drugs cause a physical dependence and the best way to avoid any unpleasant symptoms is to reduce the dosage slowly over an extended period (sometimes many months or even years). This approach is widely recommended yet remains practically impossible for most people.

Providing a safe method by which people can gradually reduce their psychoactive prescription medications helps patients and helps doctors too.

Edited by ChessieCat
added link

am not a medical professional. I provide information and make suggestions based on my own experience and SA guidelines. I am unable to respond to private messages. 

Mirtazepine 15mg Nov 2018 -April 2019  April - Sept 2019 Mirtazepine down to around 6mg - skipping days to taper

October 2019 - Dec 2019 unwell from failed taper including jumping about in doses 

15 December 2019 to 13 June 2021 15mg Mirtazepine 

14 June 2021 started brass monkey Slide.  
2021: 23 August 12.3mg, 28 October 11.1mg, 6 Dec 10mg

2022: 12 Feb 8.5, 25 Oct 4.5mg

2023: 16 Jan 3.6mg, 28 Sept 1.8mg

@FaureI clicked on the initial "this" in your first sentence. It cycled back to your post. I was able to sign the petition from the sentence in your signature "Important petition calling for tapering strips in the UK"-please sign.   Thank you for posting this, Faure!

1999 began Wellbutrin, and Zoloft, then off both, tried Lexapro, then eventually Effexor XR

2009 slowly weaned self off Effexor XR  experienced 7 months of withdrawal syndrome, became suicidal

2010 went on Prozac (dose ?), then off Prozac (agitation/anxiety), resumed Effexor XR

2010-2014 titrated up to Effexor XR 150mg and Effexor 37.5mg

2014-2018 have been on this dose for 4 years~Effexor EX 150mg and Effexor 37.5mg (Total 188mg)

January 22, 2018, began decreasing dose of Effexor 37.5mg (Continuing 150mg dose unchanged)

February 19, 2018 Effexor XR 150mg + 29 balls of Effexor 37.5mg capsule (29mg?????) x 2 days

August 15, 2020 Effexor ER 60mg x 5 months

August 10, 2021 Effexor ER 10mg Experiencing vertigo since last taper (from 11 beads/?mg to 10 beads/?mg) 4 days ago.

August 21, 2021 Vertigo gone 🥳(lasted 8 days) Will stay at 10 beads/?mg.

July 1, 2022 Effexor 7 beads/?mg 

• Mentor

Oh, @92sharks that’s a shame my link didn’t work. In case anyone else wants to sign it here it is again:

https://www.change.org/p/provide-tapering-strips-to-help-people-withdraw-from-antidepressant-and-antipsychotic-drugs

am not a medical professional. I provide information and make suggestions based on my own experience and SA guidelines. I am unable to respond to private messages. 

Mirtazepine 15mg Nov 2018 -April 2019  April - Sept 2019 Mirtazepine down to around 6mg - skipping days to taper

October 2019 - Dec 2019 unwell from failed taper including jumping about in doses 

• Moderator Emeritus

@Faure  I've added the link to the petition to the first post.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

The british government rejects all petitions hosted on third party websites in favour of their own internal first party parliamentary government petition website. Make your petition there instead.

March 2020 - off all drugs. Previous history: 10mg or 5mg of olanzapine then resperidone tablets. This later changed to 40mg of depixol injection. I refused treatment and was later discharged after a year

• Mentor
On 10/24/2021 at 7:58 AM, innocent21 said:

The british government rejects all petitions hosted on third party websites in favour of their own internal first party parliamentary government petition website. Make your petition there instead.

That’s a shame. It’s not my petition. Can’t easily see contact details of the person; whose petition is it 😌

• Moderator Emeritus

@Faure  @innocent21

Just below the big turquoise Let's Talk Withdrawal box:

James Moore started this petition to Matt Hancock (Secretary of State for Health and Social Care)

EDITED to add:  James Moore is a member of SA:

Edited by ChessieCat

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Mentor

@JamesMoore - I have signed your petition and linked to it my signature but have you seen what innocent21 has said about petitions on change.org?

• 1 month later...

Hi innocent21, thank you for your message and for your interest, can I first apologise for taking so long to reply. You are correct that the UK Government will look at petitions on their own service which get more than 10K signatures but I know for a fact that our petition would not get debated. Similar direct efforts have received the response that "Public Health England has already reviewed the evidence" which is true but of course they stopped short of making the kind of recommendations that we think are appropriate in terms of dedicated help and support and training for prescribers. When I first set the petition up, I was also interested to know 'is this just a UK/US issue or is it wider?'. When I last checked, 104 countries were represented on the Change petition which is useful information in itself.

As you may know, I did submit the petition to our then Secretary of State for Health (Matt Hancock). He never replied and later claimed his department never received the letter. Wendy Burn, then President of the Royal College of Psychiatrists, did respond to myself and Matt Hancock and we met but this was in Feb 2020 just as the pandemic was kicking off. I will give some thought to starting the petition off again but it has proved useful as evidence in support of ongoing work in the UK even though it was not on the Government's own portal. Thanks again for taking an interest and for your suggestion. All the best.

March 2012 - Prescribed Mirtazapine 15mg for anxiety and phobias

May 2012 - Jan 2017 - Had several brief spells on 30mg, none helpful, remained at 15mg

May 2017 - Started my withdrawal by transferring to liquid preparation at the same dosage (1ml = 15mg)

• ChessieCat changed the title to Petition calling for tapering strips in the UK