Amelia1066: advice needed on tapering too quickly

Amelia1066

15 years on citalopram, came off too quickly.( approx 3/4 years ago ).  Withdrawals showed up 3  month later and was not able to reinstate.  Eight months of hell managed to take escitalopram at an initial dose of 1.5mg, then 2 months later upped the dose by 2.5.   This helped stabilize by nervous system, and my withdrawal symptoms went way, stayed on this dose for 2year      But the past 6 months I have experienced excessive debilitating sweating. which has impacted my life.  I was hoping it was just a side effect of the AD and would get better, but it never did.  Had my thyroid tested and all clear.   My new doctor suggested that i try coming of the anti- depressant.  His tapering method was take the same dose every other day for a month, then come off.   I did question that it may be too fast, but he assured me that because my dose was so small it wouldn't be a problem.  And if any side effects such showed then

to take propranolol.   I did ask for the liquid form but the doctor was adament that it was only for children and people who couldn't take tablets (But the real reason was probably the expense).  

Well what did I do? 🥺 I decided to cut the dose to 1.5 mg and wait, it's probably just as bad if not as worse then my doctor's tapering method. A month later i am  experiencing internal tremors, on edge, muscle/body pain, trouble getting to sleep, just feeling like crap  I do have days when I'm back to normal, but I'm just worried as to what I'm setting myself up for further down the line.  I really would love to start again and taper correctly, but I really dont know if I would be able to go back up to 2.5 again without causing major problems, or taper up slowly at say 5 percent.  or just hold on until hopefully I'll stabilise and start tapering slowly.

15 years on citalopram (10mg)

2018  May to October tapered too quickly, 

End of january 2019 went into severe withdrawal and was unable to reinstate original drug.

May 2019,  started Lexapro at a low dose of 1.25 mg, withdrawal symptoms improved 

July 2019 increased Lexapro to 2.5mg,   withdrawal symptoms ceased

At this dose  2.5 mg from  July 2019 - september 2021

April 2021 suddenly started experiencing extreme sweating.... debilitating. Did not improve.

September 20th 2021  Reduced dose  1.5 mg - 2 weeks later developed withdrawal symptoms (agitation, insomnia, internal tremors) 

21 October  2021 up dosed to 1.8mg  Improvement in withdrawal symptoms.  

Hi Amelia, 

welcome to SA. I am sorry you are suffering coming off of this drug - we have all been here and understand what you are going through. 

Before we start, can you please post a drug signature. Here are instructions. Please only list the drug and the period during which you took it, please do not list symptoms, side effects etc. 

How to List Drug History in Signature - Introductions and updates - Surviving Antidepressants

The advice that your doctor gave you is wrong. It is a very bad idea to alternate doses or to lower by such a high percentage. Because you are still within a month of going down to 1.5, you might try to reinstate to let's say 2mg and see if it makes things better. You can then try to updose (give it a week first) if you don't have immediate bad side effects and haven't yet stabilized. If this experiment works well you can then try to taper but should wait a month or more to stabilize. I would wait many months but because you have side effects like sweating, you might want to not wait that long. 

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

At SA we advise to taper at no more than 10% of your previous dose every 4 weeks. Your brain and body need to adapt to the new dosage by making changes and these changes are slow. 

Why taper by 10% of my dosage? - Tapering - Surviving Antidepressants

Why taper? SERT transporter occupancy studies show importance of gradual change in plasma concentration - Tapering - Surviving Antidepressants. You could, alternatively, try micro-tapering. Here is one way to do it. 

The Brassmonkey Slide Method of Micro-tapering - Tapering - Surviving Antidepressants

You can taper by either getting a very sensitive scale or by making a liquid  out of tablets. Some people compound their tablets through a compounding pharmacy as well. Here is a link to Citalopram tapering thread in the Tapering forum Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram) - Tapering - Surviving Antidepressants. Read it carefully before embarking on a taper. 

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules - Tapering - Surviving Antidepressants

How to calculate dosages and dilutions? Spreadsheets and calculators - Tapering - Surviving Antidepressants

You have suffered quite a lot coming off of this drug but it is possible to do it and hopefully do it less painfully. Here are a few of my favorite links that help explain what is happening to you. 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

What is happening in your brain? - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

Please reach out of you have specific questions about anything. You can write @Onmyway in your message to get my attention. Also have a look around the forums and post on other people's threads - making friends here can be very supportive. 

Hope things get better soon and welcome again to SA!
OMW

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

• Shep changed the title to Amelia1066: advice needed on tapering to quickly

@onmiway  Thanks for replying, but just in case there was any confusion in my previous post I am now on Escitalopram (LEXAPRO) 1.5 mg which I believe is twice as powerful as citalopram.  Would it still be ok to try and updose by 2mg.     And if the initial dose of say 2mg makes things worse  should i still continue taking it for a week to see if things improve, or just reduce to the original dose of 1.5 again.  Thanks.

End of january 2019 went into severe withdrawal and was unable to reinstate original drug.

May 2019,  started Lexapro at a low dose of 1.25 mg, withdrawal symptoms improved 

April 2021 suddenly started experiencing extreme sweating.... debilitating. Did not improve.

September 20th 2021  Reduced dose  1.5 mg - 2 weeks later developed withdrawal symptoms (agitation, insomnia, internal tremors) 

@Onmyway  Thanks for replying, but just in case there was any confusion in my previous post I am now on Escitalopram (LEXAPRO) 1.5 mg which I believe is twice as powerful as citalopram.  Would it still be ok to try and updose by 2mg.     And if the initial dose of say 2mg makes things worse  should i still continue taking it for a week to see if things improve, or just reduce to the original dose of 1.5 again.  Thanks.

I meant "reinstate" at 2mg, not updose  by 2mg 🙄..  I wish i could edit my posts🤨.  I've reinstated at a slightly lower dose and already feel better, fingers crossed

• Administrator

Welcome, @Amelia1066

On 10/20/2021 at 5:39 AM, Amelia1066 said:

But the past 6 months I have experienced excessive debilitating sweating. which has impacted my life.  I was hoping it was just a side effect of the AD and would get better, but it never did.

This suggests the drug had become too strong for you. Did you accidentally skip a dose, or take it off-schedule? Add or drop any other drugs?

It could be that normal aging has made you less tolerant of escitalopram's effects. 

On 10/20/2021 at 5:39 AM, Amelia1066 said:

I decided to cut the dose to 1.5 mg and wait, it's probably just as bad if not as worse then my doctor's tapering method. A month later i am  experiencing internal tremors, on edge, muscle/body pain, trouble getting to sleep, just feeling like crap  I do have days when I'm back to normal

How do you feel before and after taking 1.5mg escitalopram? What time o'clock do you take it? Do you take any other drugs?

To help us out, follow these instructions Please summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

On 10/21/2021 at 8:16 PM, Amelia1066 said:

@Onmyway  Thanks for replying, but just in case there was any confusion in my previous post I am now on Escitalopram (LEXAPRO) 1.5 mg which I believe is twice as powerful as citalopram.  Would it still be ok to try and updose by 2mg.     And if the initial dose of say 2mg makes things worse  should i still continue taking it for a week to see if things improve, or just reduce to the original dose of 1.5 again.  Thanks.

Hi Amelia, sorry for the wrong link. There should be a link in the Tapering forum on Escitalopram as well. You are right, this one is much stronger. 

If you've already reinstated and it feels better, can you hold on this dose for a while and see if things improve even further? And then if no worse side effects maybe you can updose slightly more? 

If you can follow Alto's suggestion to observe your reaction around the time you take the drug it will help us advise you better. Also remember to fill in the signature. 

Hope you continue to get better Amelia! 
OMW

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

@Altostrata  Thankyou for replying. 

Yes, I have accidently forgot to take a dose a few times.

I am not taking any other drug, although the doctor prescribed 40 mg Propranolol /Inderal 3 times a day to help cope with the side effects  (which I have not taken).    I'm not even sure if his  a good idea, or will it actually help to buffer the withdrawal symptoms and make the whole process easier?

It's difficult to say how I was feeling before and after taking lexapro, (at 1.5mg) as I always take it before I went to bed  at  around 9pm and unfortunately never kept detailed notes. On a few occasions I have noticed  that the jittery feeling would kick in around 7.30/8 pm, which would prompt me to want to take the drug earlier. but I would hold on till 9pm, and after taking would feel some relief, but this could just be the placebo effect    My sleep pattern, however, is now disrupted, although this looks like it is part and parcel of withdrawing from ADs.  

If you think the drug could be too strong for me (I am 58), would this equate to higher serotonin within the body; I just keep thinking about serotonin syndrome, and am concerned.   When I recently reduced the drug, the sweating immediately stopped. The doctor said all ADs have the potential to cause excess sweating, but I would  have expected a side effect of a  drug to appear sooner, rather then later.

@Onmyway Thanks for your help, much appreciated. I will hold for a while and see how it goes

• Administrator
9 hours ago, Amelia1066 said:

When I recently reduced the drug, the sweating immediately stopped.

Your doctor is wrong.

Especially at such a low dose, you need to take escitalopram at the same time each day. Taking off-schedule or missing a dose could cause a ripple effect of strange symptoms. 

Please keep daily notes of times o’clock you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. We need to know how you feel before and after taking each drug, and your symptoms in between. Post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, in a simple list format with time o’clock on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right. This can show what your drug is doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

8.00am am got up, felt fine

8.30am Had breakfast, started to feel jittery

9.00am took dog for walk, improved slightly

10.30am got back home, jittery feeling continued, decided to do some housework, helped but the feeling did not subside.

12.00 spent time on the computer, helped to distract me.

13.00 jitteriness subsided

14.00 took dog for walk along the coast, started to sweat, felt fatigued.

16.15 got back home

17.30 had something to eat

18.00 took dog out again

19.00 got home still felt fine

21.00 took escitalopram 1.8g

22.00 went to bed, woke up a few times, reasonable sleep

• ChessieCat changed the title to Amelia1066: advice needed on tapering too quickly
  • Administrator

The jitteriness does not look like it's related to Lexapro, but something else that happens.

Do you drink caffeine in the morning and at other times of day?

@Altostrata  yes i do drink a lot of tea throughout the day, but this symptom is one I have never experienced before.  

8.40 woke up, felt a bit down

9.00.  had breakfast,  (tea and toast), appetite has been greatly reduced since reducing escitalopram .  Have to force myself to eat something. started to feel a bit shaky,  but calmed down

10.30 took dog for a walk.   Periods of feeling on edge, then back to feeling normal, then on edge again.

12.30 came back home, had a good cry, which generally takes away all the tension.  Felt better.

13.30 had lunch and a cup of tea.  

14.30 went shopping, started to feel unsettled again.....that's the only way i can describe how I feel.  Felt nauseous had to leave shop and get fresh air.

15.00 came home, took dog for walk felt much better.

17.00 had something to eat, tried a cup of decaf tea

21.00 took escitalopram

22.00 went to bed

• Administrator

Please try to cut down the caffeine, see if that helps. You may have become sensitive to it because of withdrawal.

@Altostrata I'm now cutting down by alternating between caffeinated and decaffeinated.

I don't know if you still want me to post notes on this topic, so sorry if this is slightly late.

10.00am reasonable sleep, woke up a few times, but managed to get back to sleep

10.30 had breakfast

12.00 took dog and husband for 5 mile walk, awful feeling of being on edge, not being able to relax and enjoy the walk through the countryside. Felt tired.  Felt like this for duration of walk.

15.30 got back home, went straight to bed, fell fast asleep

18.00 got up, felt fine

21.00 took escitalopram

22.00 went back to bed had a good sleep. 

• Administrator
13 hours ago, Amelia1066 said:

I'm now cutting down by alternating between caffeinated and decaffeinated.

A better way to taper would be to dilute your caffeinated with uncaffeinated.

Although caffeine has a very long half-life, it's probably kinder to your nervous system to gradually reduce your use rather than ping-pong with alternating doses. People do get withdrawal when they suddenly stop a caffeine habit. Usually, it's a headache.

Your daily notes do not indicate when you ingested caffeine. Please include this.

• Mentor

Welcome @Amelia1066! I just stop by to encourage you !
About that caffeine during withdrawals , I’ve had this happen to me too! During withdrawals or stressing anxious times any kind of stimulant in small amounts can make symptoms 10 times worse . And yes sweating too. 
Like Altostrata said ease off of it slowly for now. 

You are in good hands! 
Keep it slow and steady and you will be feeling better soon ! 👍

2000-2013 Paxil - 1 year fast taper

2013-2018 merry go round
zoloft, cymbalta, lamictal, Prozac.

Nov. 2018 lexapro 15 mgs, Dec. 2019 to Mar. 2020 taper to 10mg. Jul 2020 to October 2020 taper to 8.5 ml.
Oct 2020 reinstated to 9 ml.
Apr 2021 to Jul  taper to 7ml. Oct 2021 to Jan 2022 taper to 5.9ml, Mar 5 2022 5.8 ml, Mar 12 5.7ml, Mar 20 5.6ml, Mar 27 5.5ml, April 23 5.4ml, April 30 5.3ml, May 7 5.2ml,  Jul 9 2022 5.4ml, 

Klonopin prn, Allegra 180 for 3 seasons, aspirin 81 mg, plavix , nitroglycerin 0.4 mg prn, 2k mg  turmeric Qunol, 4- Trader Joe’s omega 3 -2400 mg, Pepcid 20mg,  Prilosec 40 mg, Tylenol arthritis 4 tablets daily, 350mg calm magnesium citrate, melatonin 2.5- 5mg as needed to sleep. Saline spray as needed. 

@Altostrata

8.20 got up, had a poor sleep, woke up numerous times and found difficult to get back to sleep

9.00 had breakfast tea and decaf/caffeinated tea as suggested

9.45 started to feel unsettled, on edge (cant explain the feeling)

10.30 took dog for walk but this feeling continued 

12.30  returned home had cup of tea (mixed with decaf), and lunch, still felt unsettled

13.00 housework, still unsettled

14.00  still unsettled feeling

15.00 Felt fatigued. went for lie down

16.00 felt better, took dog for walk

17.30 returned home, had decaf/ caffeinated mix, something to eat

18.00 felt fine

19.00 started to feel on edge again

21.00 took escitalopram, went to bed

*Not jittery after drinking tea, that seems to have resolved.

@Heath Thanks so much, that was really kind of you. 

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Amelia1066 said:

*Not jittery after drinking tea, that seems to have resolved.

That's good. You might still be ingesting too much caffeine for your sensitized nervous system right now.

8:00am  got up at 8am had a decent night sleep, despite waking up with burning pain that moved around different parts of my body.  In my jaw, shoulder blade, elbow, lower back, into my hip, down my leg , into my foot.  Just weird, lasted about half an hour then just disappeared.

8.30 had breakfast (reduced caffeine)

10.00 took dog for a walk, feel back to my normal self

12.00 came back home had lunch and reduced caffeine tea

16.00 took dog for walk

18.00 came home 

18.30 had something to eat, reduced caffeine tea.

21.00 took escitalopram

21.00 went to bed had a good day