Twinmom: All better 3-6 years later

Twinmom's Introduction topic:  twinmom-long-term-effects-of-ssri-discontinuation

Hi,

Something reminded today me of my time on this forum back around 2015, and I came to report that I've been doing very well for the past several years, after about 18 months on Zoloft, and a probably reckless (Dr prescribed) tapering approach back then. I think it took about 3 years with some ups and downs to feel fully recovered (2019 stands out). My mood changes and uncharacteristic short-lived depression symptoms can be particular intense during certain times of the month, but the older I get the better I know my body, and these mood swings are not related to my medication history with an SSRI, but from increasing PMS and menstrual symptoms in my mid-40s (apparently this is a thing - extra tough periods in your 40s). 2017 and 2018 (both antidepressant-free) were also very good, but I think there was still some still some unresolved stuff. I remember trying counseling a few times for anger/irritability/anxiety/depression related management, and it was too difficult still for me to process in that way (I have found verbal therapy sessions are too draining for me). But now, probably over 6 years later, it all feels like very much in the past, and as noted, I know my body and mind better than I did before. I know that I'm very sensitive to any medication. I know that conventional doctors try to help me with various mild medical issues with medications (e.g., hormone-based medications), and that I need to strongly advocate this fact that I have intense side effects to most medications tried. And that this sensitivity probably only gets more as I get older. My lesson learned over time is that I'm very sensitive to most medications, and that I need to advocate this fact when talking with my medical professionals. Healing thoughts to everyone out there struggling.

Edited by ChessieCat
add intro topic link

I took Zoloft at 50mg/day, then 100mg/day, for 18 months for Postpartum Depression. My dr wanted to increase to 150mg, at which point I decided I needed to get off (at about 1 year). I had many debilitating symptoms but it took me a while to recognize that it was the drug causing the problems. I tapered off over 6 months, and had lots of horrible discontinuation symptoms. I went from 100 to 50 by alternating doses (doctor's plan), for probably 2-3 weeks, then to 50, and stayed there for several months. Then down to 25mg/day alternated with 50 mg/day for a couple of weeks, then straight 25, then every other day 25, for like 2 weeks each time, down to one dose of 25 every few days, then off completely. I'm now 3-4 months drug-free but still experiencing severe mood fluctuations and some depression and self-harm. Just wondering when it's all going to end and when I'll be back to my old self. As long as the answer isn't "never" I just want to hear other stories. xo

• getofflex changed the title to Twinmom: All better 3-6 years later
  • Moderator Emeritus

@Twinmomthank you for coming back to write your success story!  This will be a significant help and encouragement to many people here.  I'm so glad to hear that you are doing well, and that you are advocating for yourself, and being very careful about drugs now.  It sounds like you have learned a lot of wisdom from your experience.  

Here is a link to twin mom's introduction thread:  

Twinmom Introduction

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello @Twinmom,

Thank you deeply for coming back here and sharing your story of healing !

I wish you a beautiful and peaceful life ☀️

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

On 10/26/2021 at 6:39 PM, EmptyVessle said:

did you have sexuall side effects, did they resolve?

I'm still in withdrawal but I've noticed an improvement in sexual function for sure. It used to be totally numb down south but it works now much better than before. I used to stress about it all the time but not so much now. Seems to be coming back slowly.

Fluanxol dosage n/a - 6 months cold turkey Start/ may 2015 end/august 2015

Sertraline 100mg - 10 months cold turkey start/ may 2015 End/Feb 2016

On 10/20/2021 at 8:04 PM, Twinmom said:

Twinmom's Introduction topic:  twinmom-long-term-effects-of-ssri-discontinuation

Hi,

Something reminded today me of my time on this forum back around 2015, and I came to report that I've been doing very well for the past several years, after about 18 months on Zoloft, and a probably reckless (Dr prescribed) tapering approach back then. I think it took about 3 years with some ups and downs to feel fully recovered (2019 stands out). My mood changes and uncharacteristic short-lived depression symptoms can be particular intense during certain times of the month, but the older I get the better I know my body, and these mood swings are not related to my medication history with an SSRI, but from increasing PMS and menstrual symptoms in my mid-40s (apparently this is a thing - extra tough periods in your 40s). 2017 and 2018 (both antidepressant-free) were also very good, but I think there was still some still some unresolved stuff. I remember trying counseling a few times for anger/irritability/anxiety/depression related management, and it was too difficult still for me to process in that way (I have found verbal therapy sessions are too draining for me). But now, probably over 6 years later, it all feels like very much in the past, and as noted, I know my body and mind better than I did before. I know that I'm very sensitive to any medication. I know that conventional doctors try to help me with various mild medical issues with medications (e.g., hormone-based medications), and that I need to strongly advocate this fact that I have intense side effects to most medications tried. And that this sensitivity probably only gets more as I get older. My lesson learned over time is that I'm very sensitive to most medications, and that I need to advocate this fact when talking with my medical professionals. Healing thoughts to everyone out there struggling.

Thank you for sharing your story, it encourages many
I am still halfway there and currently in a heavier wave
Such stories give hope that one day it will pass and give hope

Xanax 0,5mg 1999-2019 a Xanax 0,5mg paar korda kuus, vajadusel

Cymbalta 30mg 2012-25.04.2018 kitsenev 2-3 kuud,rasked sümptomid 1 nädal pärast viimast annust

Amitriptüliin 25mg 25.05.18-20.01.19 ,kitsenev 2-3 kuuga, unetus, paanika-ärevus, segasusseisund, iiveldus

Valdoxan 25mg 10.02.19-10.03.19, ei stabiliseerinud olukorda, Lorasepaam 10.02.19-20.02.19 vajadusel üleöö

Brintellix 5mg 10.03.19-30.06.19 ,ei stabiliseerinud olukorda, hirme, segasust ja unetust, olin haiglas 1 nädal

Olansapiin 5mg 01.03.19-02.08.19,unetuse leevendamiseks suureneb segasus, suureneb depressioon, tekib raske akatiisia Cymbalta 30mg 30.06.19-01.08.19,ei tööta enam, olukord ei stabiliseeru, jälle haiglas 2 nädalat

Levomepromasiin 5mg 03.08.19-20.12.19 aitas magada, kuid suurendas segadust ja depressiooni

Anafraniil 75mg03.08.19-15.12.19  15.12.19 , 35mg  17.05.20  , 27mg 01.01.21 16.07.21 oli päevane A19 mg 01.04.22 11mg 01.11.22 8,6mg, 01.11.23 6,5mg 01.01.24 5mg

Thank you SO SO MUCH for coming back. It is so important to know that even after months of torture, there is hope.

March 2019: 10mg Citalopram

April 2019: 20mg Citalopram

October/November 2019(sorry, I don't remember the exact date): 10mg of Citalopram without tapering, as suggested by my pharmacist. 

March 2020: Started "tapering", taking the 10mg of Citalopram every other day, again, following the recommendations of my pharmacist. 

April 2020: Stopped taking Citalopram.

I haven't reinstall since then. I've tried taking Magnesium a couple of times, but I found out it makes me nervous. I only take Paracetemol when the headache becomes unbearable (2gr every couple of weeks or so). 

• Mentor

Glad to hear you’re out the other side @Twinmom Sertraline and 3 years of WD seems a common story. Congratulations on your persistence and determination to find your old self. 

50 mg Sertraline Nov 2016 to Dec 2016

100 mg Sertraline Jan - March 2017

50 mg Sertraline April - June 2017

25 mg Sertraline July 2017 - Sept 2018

12.5 mg Sertraline Oct 2018

0 mg Nov 1 2018

Hi - thank you everyone for your kind words. @EmptyVessleI'm sorry I took so long to come back on here to respond. Yes, among many other side effects, I had no sex drive. That problem went away completely with my recovery. All of the awful side effects I had went away - most in the relatively short term, and all by this point.

While I feel 100% on the other side of the drugs, my mental health still requires lots of nourishment, as it does for everyone. For the first time in about 6 years I had a panic attack yesterday. Which reminded me about this page and that I needed to check in after my above post. I saw the attack coming though, and got someone on the phone to help me through it since I was home alone with my kids. It was a bad combination of triggers (one of my pets is near the end of her life, coupled with mild depression and anxiety that I manage through exercise, nutrition, and all of the many many other things I do for myself that I need to do), so I won't become anxious about it happening again. Also, I know that I dealt with it perfectly. I was surprised though that I had to sleep it off for almost the whole day after it happened. 

Anyway, we're all on a journey and I send healing thoughts out to everyone out there still dealing with the medication part of things. My time on and trying to get off of Zoloft was arguably the worst experience of my life. But it's now thoroughly in the past. I can talk about it without crying. And am happy to answer any questions. xo

I took Zoloft at 50mg/day, then 100mg/day, for 18 months for Postpartum Depression. My dr wanted to increase to 150mg, at which point I decided I needed to get off (at about 1 year). I had many debilitating symptoms but it took me a while to recognize that it was the drug causing the problems. I tapered off over 6 months, and had lots of horrible discontinuation symptoms. I went from 100 to 50 by alternating doses (doctor's plan), for probably 2-3 weeks, then to 50, and stayed there for several months. Then down to 25mg/day alternated with 50 mg/day for a couple of weeks, then straight 25, then every other day 25, for like 2 weeks each time, down to one dose of 25 every few days, then off completely. I'm now 3-4 months drug-free but still experiencing severe mood fluctuations and some depression and self-harm. Just wondering when it's all going to end and when I'll be back to my old self. As long as the answer isn't "never" I just want to hear other stories. xo

Also @EmptyVessleI'm pretty sure that libido was one of the side effects for me that took quite a while (1-3 years) to get back to what I would call normal. 

@EmptyVesslesorry but I don't recall. I had other much more difficult-for-me symptoms to contend with, so I may have, but I can't say for sure.

• Mentor
On 11/7/2021 at 11:54 PM, EmptyVessle said:

@Twinmom, did you also had genital numbness?

Hi @EmptyVessle I had genital numbness for a couple of months when I went on Sertraline and again for a couple of months about a year into WD. It resolved. I know for some it can take a very long time. I think there are other places in the forum specifically on this topic. 

50 mg Sertraline Nov 2016 to Dec 2016

100 mg Sertraline Jan - March 2017

50 mg Sertraline April - June 2017

25 mg Sertraline July 2017 - Sept 2018

12.5 mg Sertraline Oct 2018

0 mg Nov 1 2018

• 2 weeks later...

@EmptyVessle Yes, it can. I saw some success stories on this topic.

AD since 2006 (16 years old). Prescribed on Citalopram, Fluoxetin(2x), Opipramol, Paroxetin. All with CT except Paroxetin (fast taper).
Last medication was Paroxetin for 3 years. Tapered fast:
- October 2018: 10mg -> 5mg
- December 2018: 5mg -> 2,5mg
- February 2019: 2,5mg -> 1,25mg
- March 2019: 1,25mg -> 1 mg
Since May 2019: 0 mg

Supplements:
- Omega 3 (2200mg EPA + DHA )                  - Vitamin D 2000 i.u. and Vitamin K2 50 mcg            - Vitamin B12 (100mcg)
- Zinc (4 mg)                                                    - Magnesium-Bisglycinat (100mg elemantal Mg)     
30 months off and improvements but still setbacks.  Link to my introduction: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/21876-malon-14-years-of-ssri-since-youth-last-was-paroxetin/?tab=comments#comment-486450

• 2 months later...

@Twinmomthanks so much for sharing. I’m at the start of my journey off & good to hear there’s another side.

Reading into the pms & anxiety you mentioned, I’m mid-40’s myself. I’ve found that supporting estrogen & progesterone really help leagues with hormonal mood changes. maybe something to try — I believe they give us Ssri’s instead of looking at true causes. 

Zoloft 50 mg since 2019.   
2024. January. 33.75 February. 33.75 March 32.5 April 30.0

2023. January 33.75 mg  February 32.5 mg March 30.0 mg April 27.5 mg June 50 mg August 40 mg September-December 37.5 mg December 33.75 mg 

2022. January 50mg February 45 mg March 40.5 April-November 37.5  December 33.75 mg

Prior to discontinuation:  20 years of a variety of antidepressants & anti-anxiety meds from months to  years at a time (fluoxetine, nefazodone, venlafaxine, clonazepam, hydroxyzine).  I was unknowingly experiencing discontinuation and was frequently diagnosed with anxiety/exacerbations of previous illness as opposed to discontinuation. 

Supplements: Fish oil, Vitamin D3, magnesium,  B complex, l-theanine