SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

rilexapro: Problems with APRN, led to problems with Lexapro.

rilexapro

Hello everybody. I was referred to this forum after trying to find answers about my problem on other websites for almost a year now.

To somewhat quickly sum up my story. I was put on psych meds at 16 after a breakdown related to OCD. I am not sure how long I have been on Lexapro, but probably since around 2013/2014. I first started taking psych meds at 16. I was dealing with a bad APRN (who I saw for years but became worse and worse over time) who had me on 30mg of Lexapro for at least 2 to 3 years. I cannot remember how long I was on 20mg before that, and for how long. I apologize. I couldn't get a refill due to problems with my computer for an online meeting, they didn't give me enough to taper off safely (didn't even tell me to taper off or warn me about withdrawal symptoms), so I ended up having a breakdown about 3 months later, but not any cognitive issues at all. I was very paranoid and anxious, but my memory was fine along with my memory and ability to talk eloquently. 

I was put back on 10mg of Lexapro about 2ish weeks after the incident. I remember having a dull pain at the very top of my head for a little bit, and since that week, I've had breathing problems, sinus issues such as dryness and pain (watery mucus too, now my sinuses feel very dry recently), memory loss, brain fog, fatigue, dry mouth, chest pains, face/neck pains and a warm/tingling feeling on the left side of my face (sometimes numbness too), vomiting, throbbing headaches, high blood pressure (this has mainly gone away I think, could have been from withdrawal) jaw stiffness (my teeth would clench subconsciously while awake, that's gone away) and ear ringing. I also now have sleep apnea. I had to immediately stop taking it again due to these issues, I lasted about a week on the new dosage. It almost feels like I had a TBI without having a TBI.

I don't know if the SSRI caused it or the stress of the breakdown (was put on a psych hold) and personal family problems such as my mom getting sick with cancer that eventually killed her caused it, or both. I've been feeling like this for about 10ish months now and it's not getting any better. I have sexual dysfunction problems, emotionally I feel numb, and when I try to think deeply it feels like my brain is a stalling car. My memory is also as bad as ever, and the neck/face problems are still here, I can feel them as I'm typing this.

It also feels like when I speak to people, my mouth is speaking faster than my brain can think. This is something very new, and it causes me to stutter/not talk as eloquently as I used to. I used to be very well spoken and now that's gone. I can recall events in my life/childhood, but now I can no longer remember specifics of the events, such as words said. It's very odd.

I've had CT/MRI scans done of my brain and neither showed real problems. I'm seeing my PCP in September because my problems are getting worse, and I'm supposed to see a neurologist in November, and I'm thinking of asking for a qEEG, SPECT, and a nerve conduction study. I'd just like some advice on what to do to feel better. Not sure if my APRN is liable for the damage done to be or not, either, but this isn't a legal forum, so I'm not expecting any advice on that front.

My former APRN, who I had gone to for years, slowly became worse and worse, and got angry at my mom at times for scheduling my appointments with my APRN. When I saw my APRN again after my breakdown/psych hold, she didn't seem to care about me going off 30mg cold turkey, her not telling me to taper off of it or warning me about the problems etc. She just put me back on 10mg, and when I had to stop taking it due to my side effects, she refused to help me any further, saying she would only see me if I saw a therapist, and even when I did, she refused to talk to me about my problems because "legally I [The APRN] can't because [The APRN] doesn't see me as a client anymore". She's the one who won't see me anymore, so I don't get it at all. She was very cold and uncaring about my mom getting sick and dying of cancer, only saying "getting a job helps with anxiety" and "Medicaid is hard to get on".

It's so horribly depressing to feel like you've lost what made you, you. My memory is awful, my emotions are all over the place, I stutter sometimes now when I never used to, my cognitive thinking is awful. My voice actually sounds different to me. I don't know what's going on. My personality feels so neutered. I just want some help to get a definite answer on what's causing all of this.

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

30mg Lexapro from 2016-2020

30mg cold turkey in June 2020 due to issues with APRN

Re-instatement of 10mg of Lexapro in late September 2020 due to panic attack

Cold turkey 10mg Lexapro early October 2020 due to sudden health problems possibly caused by Lexapro

Now taking 20mg of Lisinopril. Stopped iron supplement over the counter for low iron due to feeling sick while taking it. Taking a vitamin D supplement alongside the Lisinopril.

• rilexapro changed the title to rilexapro: Problems with APRN, led to problems with Lexapro.
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a peer owned and run forum of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.  Your APRN sounds terrible.  First of all, 30 mg Lexapro is a very high dose.  The standard dose is 10 mg.  And to not give you enough to taper off that high dose is unconscionable.  

18 hours ago, rilexapro said:

I remember having a dull pain at the very top of my head for a little bit, and since that week, I've had breathing problems, sinus issues such as dryness and pain (watery mucus too, now my sinuses feel very dry recently), memory loss, brain fog, fatigue, dry mouth, chest pains, face/neck pains and a warm/tingling feeling on the left side of my face (sometimes numbness too), vomiting, throbbing headaches, high blood pressure (this has mainly gone away I think, could have been from withdrawal) jaw stiffness (my teeth would clench subconsciously while awake, that's gone away) and ear ringing. I also now have sleep apnea.

So these issues started after you reinstated to 10 mg Lexapro?  Were you having any of these symptoms prior to the reinstatement?  If so, which ones? How is your sleep? 

Are you now altogether off the Lexapro?  Can you please give us specific information about your drug history for all drugs you are on and have been on, especially for the past 18-24 months?  It would be especially helpful to have the details of your drugs in a concise list (no symptoms), only drug names, specific dates (as best you can say for example early March if you don't recall the day) and dosages of each medication decrease or increase.  Please read the link below for instructions.  This will allow us to give you the best guidance.  

How to List Drug History in Signature

Here is some information about how these drugs actually work.  

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

What is Withdrawal Syndrome?

Here is some information on common withdrawal symptoms:  

Glenmullen Withdrawal Symptoms Checklists

Also, as we are recovering, we suggest keeping things slow, simple, and stable. This is extremely important.

Keep it Simple, Slow, and Stable

When we recover, there are times of feeling OK mixed in with times of feeling bad.  This is called windows and waves.

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

We don't suggest many supplements, but 2 that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

There is the possibility you could try a small reinstatement.  Even though you had adverse effects at the 10 mg dose, a very small reinstatement dose, such as 0.25 or 0.5 mg, may help you with the. withdrawal symptoms.  Please read this link, and tell me what you think.  

About Reinstating and Stabilizing to Reduce Withdrawal Symptoms

18 hours ago, rilexapro said:

It's so horribly depressing to feel like you've lost what made you, you. My memory is awful, my emotions are all over the place, I stutter sometimes now when I never used to, my cognitive thinking is awful. My voice actually sounds different to me. I don't know what's going on. My personality feels so neutered. I just want some help to get a definite answer on what's causing all of this.

I'm terribly sorry that this medical "professional" had treated you so badly.  You could file a complaint about him/her someday, when you feel up to it, or even take legal action.  It sounds like they have definitely violated many standards of care.  I just want to reassure you that you can and will recover from this, but it takes lots of time and patience, as long as you take care of yourself.  What is causing all this is that you have had a major shock to your nervous system by being suddenly taken off of the drugs.  The previous links should help you understand what I mean.  Its like a plant suddenly being jerked away from a trellis that is had wound itself around.  That does a lot of destruction to the plant, but in time, it will grow new tendrils, and recover itself.  You have come to the right place.  We are here for you.  Hang in there, and take care. 

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• Mentor

@rilexapro  I wanted to welcome you to SA.  I am so sorry with what you are gong through and the loss of your mother.

It appalls me the way the your APRN treated you.  This must be very scary for you.  Do you have any support at home with you?

So many of your symptoms sound like withdrawal from Lexapro and maybe kindling from trying to reinstate at a high dose.  But l will let the mods help you there.  I am not an expert on this as  I am trying to heal also.  The tingling and numbness on the left side of your face sounds just like what I have.  I also have very dry sinuses, sore on top of my brain, most of what you have listed.  So rest assured you will heal.  

The SA site is very large and has a ton of information on it.  There is some good information on the taper forum, learn about how the meds effect and change our brains.  The Symptoms & Self-Care forum has topics on the many symptoms we can experience in WD.  Believe me there are many, some are very overwhelming and ones you would never think they were from WD.  A lot of advice how coping skills.

Hang in there.  You are in good hands. The mods here know more about psychotropic drug, then most doctors.  

Post here, ask questions, meet other members and most important getting encouragement.

We are here for you 

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/24894-greatful-is-this-withdrawal-or-to-many-med-changes-at-once/

1995? Prozac,  tried several Paxil, Serzone, St John's Wart back to Prozac and Trazodone ct:d Traz

Lexapro. Tried to stop Crash in 2015  Kindled   Hospitalized, Vybrid, Seroquel, Effexor, Abilify  Pristiq, Wellbutrin-- 2016  ended back on   Prozac and Lamictal 200mg

5/2020  thru 12/2020 taper from 20mg  Prozac  down to 3mg.  Crashed  12/13/2020 Zoloft 50mg 1/29ct  1/29/2021 Seroquel 50mg ct  2/12/2021 Wellbutrin 75mg.  Became hypo manic 2/1  6ct Trazodone 50mg 4/25  25mg 2/5/ 2021 Lamictal 150mg.  2/24  100mg   4/9  75mg   4/21 37.5 

2/16/2021 Seroquel 50xr  3/3 100mg  3/17  150mg  side effects ct   4/3 2021 Lexapro 5mg  4/14  7.5mg  4/30 10mg  5/10  7.5mg 

2021/ 5/16  5mg Lexapro   37.5 Lamictal   25mg trazadone,   xanax  .0625mg  3x a day   

Lexapro  Taper> Sept/01/2021  4.90mg>  Sept/25  4.75mg>   Oct/19 4.69mg > Nov/14 4.2mg    Jan/30/2022-- Split dosing 2x a day All liquid  4.2mg  (2.20mg at 8am & 2mg at 4pm) 2/17 4mg>  2/24  3.8mg  slow taper to  Aug/12/2022 2.04mg  2023> 2mg,  1.90mg, 1.80mg, 1.70mg, 1.5mg, 1.4mg, 1.3mg 1.2mg, 1.1mg, 1mg, 0.9mg, 0.8mg, 0.7mg 0.65mg, 0.6mg, 0.55mg, 0.5mg, 0.45mg, 0.4mg, 0.35mg, 0.3mg, 0.25,mg, back to once a day dosing 0 .1mg, 0.07mg

Lamictal  taper  4/17/ 2022 25mg, 9/9/ 22 -20mg, 9/25/22- 15mg , 10/20/22-   0

Trazodone..2023.>down to 14mg, 7mg, 6mg  July 2023   0

Xanax  0.0625 3 x a day,  2023>  0.042 3x a day

Supplements  Magnesium glycinate, Omega 3, D3, vitamin c , zinc, NAC 

3 hours ago, getofflex said:

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a peer owned and run forum of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.  Your APRN sounds terrible.  First of all, 30 mg Lexapro is a very high dose.  The standard dose is 10 mg.  And to not give you enough to taper off that high dose is unconscionable.  

Thank you for the reply. From what I can remember, The APRN never warned me about not rescheduling, in relation to not being able to properly wean off of the medication, or about the problems if I tried to go off it cold turkey.

When I reconnected with the APRN a few months later after the psych hold, they never asked how I was, what happened, etc. Only that my mom needed to stay at home because my dad was untrustworthy for putting me on a psych hold. It couldn't be their fault for making me go off 30mg cold turkey in the first place, causing my mind to be a wreck, right? Of course not.

Lexapro, even at 30mg, had not been helping me at all for years, but I never changed it due to being too depressed and angry to do anything at all. I sat inside my house for a few years. My parents weren't very helpful and didn't seem very concerned about it. Not great, but what can you do now?

So these issues started after you reinstated to 10 mg Lexapro?  Were you having any of these symptoms prior to the reinstatement?  If so, which ones? How is your sleep? 

Are you now altogether off the Lexapro?  Can you please give us specific information about your drug history for all drugs you are on and have been on, especially for the past 18-24 months?  It would be especially helpful to have the details of your drugs in a concise list (no symptoms), only drug names, specific dates (as best you can say for example early March if you don't recall the day) and dosages of each medication decrease or increase. 

Yes, only after I tried to go back on 10mg of Lexapro, did these symptoms start, as far as I can remember. It happened the same week. Before that, I was awful, had bad paranoia and crippling anxiety and panic, but mentally was still sharp and cognitively fine. I also was still okay sexually.

I have not taken any Lexapro since early October 2020. I now take Lisinopril (20mg) for high blood pressure, and an iron supplement for low iron in my blood tests. That's all.

I'm terribly sorry that this medical "professional" had treated you so badly.  You could file a complaint about him/her someday, when you feel up to it, or even take legal action.  It sounds like they have definitely violated many standards of care.  I just want to reassure you that you can and will recover from this, but it takes lots of time and patience, as long as you take care of yourself.  What is causing all this is that you have had a major shock to your nervous system by being suddenly taken off of the drugs.  The previous links should help you understand what I mean.  Its like a plant suddenly being jerked away from a trellis that is had wound itself around.  That does a lot of destruction to the plant, but in time, it will grow new tendrils, and recover itself.  You have come to the right place.  We are here for you.  Hang in there, and take care. 

Trust me, I've strongly considered taking legal action, the fact 30mg is more than FDA approved seems very legally iffy. This APRN was very good when I first started seeing them about 7 years ago, but got very rude at the end of my time with them. This APRN yelled at my mom once because "my mom scheduled my appointments". The APRN was also rude to her again after my mom had cancer. The APRN was also rude to me. I had called the APRN early one morning because of anxiety issues due to my mom being sick with cancer, and I got a call later where the APRN said "You woke me up, this is my cell phone number" and that they would only see me again if I saw a therapist, even adding the comment "I should have gone to therapy long before this". The APRN had never suggested therapy ever before, and that number is the only one they give out.

After my mother died, the APRN said nothing really of comfort, only "it's hard to get on Medicaid" and "getting a job relieves stress", as if my mom dying is just a simple stress issue that can be fixed. I'm also on Medicaid now.

A few months after that, I had seen a therapist, and when I went back to my APRN, they refused to see me for anything, and refused to give any advice related to my issues, because I wasn't a client of theirs. Just totally awful to somebody who never gave them trouble.

I just really hope this isn't permanent. I can deal with it, if I know at the end my brain can be repaired, but if it's permanent, I don't know what to do. I feel so useless these days. I feel like the great parts about me have been stolen.

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

Cold turkey 10mg Lexapro early October 2020 due to sudden health problems possibly caused by Lexapro

Now taking 20mg of Lisinopril. Stopped iron supplement over the counter for low iron due to feeling sick while taking it. Taking a vitamin D supplement alongside the Lisinopril.

1 hour ago, Greatful said:

@rilexapro  I wanted to welcome you to SA.  I am so sorry with what you are gong through and the loss of your mother.

It appalls me the way the your APRN treated you.  This must be very scary for you.  Do you have any support at home with you?

So many of your symptoms sound like withdrawal from Lexapro and maybe kindling from trying to reinstate at a high dose.  But l will let the mods help you there.  I am not an expert on this as  I am trying to heal also.  The tingling and numbness on the left side of your face sounds just like what I have.  I also have very dry sinuses, sore on top of my brain, most of what you have listed.  So rest assured you will heal.  

The SA site is very large and has a ton of information on it.  There is some good information on the taper forum, learn about how the meds effect and change our brains.  The Symptoms & Self-Care forum has topics on the many symptoms we can experience in WD.  Believe me there are many, some are very overwhelming and ones you would never think they were from WD.  A lot of advice how coping skills.

Hang in there.  You are in good hands. The mods here know more about psychotropic drug, then most doctors.  

Post here, ask questions, meet other members and most important getting encouragement.

We are here for you 

Thank you for the condolences.

I've considered taking legal action against my former APRN. Not sure if I can, but I will probably be consulting with some sort of malpractice lawyer, I will probably ask our probate lawyer who to go to.

My father isn't very supportive, he's dealing with a financial mess my mom left, but even besides that, he never really tried to care about my problems, and that's not going to change now. He's OCD/anxiety ridden himself, and will ruminate about very mundane things, worse than me at my worst. On top of the SSRI problems and my mom dying, it doesn't help that I don't have a good support system at all, either.

Not really sure what kindling means, sorry. Also. sorry about having the same sinus/face issues that I have too, it really stinks. I hope that it isn't a sign of something severe or permanent.

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

• Moderator Emeritus
19 hours ago, Greatful said:

So many of your symptoms sound like withdrawal from Lexapro and maybe kindling from trying to reinstate at a high dose.

I would tend to agree.  

17 hours ago, rilexapro said:

Lexapro, even at 30mg, had not been helping me at all for years, but I never changed it due to being too depressed and angry to do anything at all. I sat inside my house for a few years. My parents weren't very helpful and didn't seem very concerned about it. Not great, but what can you do now?

My heart goes out to you, it truly does.  This makes me sad.  You deserve so much better than this. Unfortunately, many parents are not very helpful or supportive.  I just want to reassure you that you can improve your life a lot, if you are willing to work at it, and not just take the easy way out.  There is a lot of help out there for healing and recovery from anxiety and depression that does not involve drugs.  There are therapists, counselors, support groups, tons of info on the internet, etc.  

After my mother died, the APRN said nothing really of comfort, only "it's hard to get on Medicaid" and "getting a job relieves stress", as if my mom dying is just a simple stress issue that can be fixed. I'm also on Medicaid now.

He/she sounds like a very cold hearted and cold blooded person. I'm so sorry for the loss of your mother.  😟💔

I just really hope this isn't permanent. I can deal with it, if I know at the end my brain can be repaired,

I can assure you, this is not permanent.  Just take good care of yourself, stay away from mind altering drugs and substances, and you WILL recover.  You are young, and this is in your favor.  Please read some of the success stories. Here are some to get you started:  

Jemima Survives Lexapro and Doctors Too

Aeroman Recovered from Lexapro

Longest Road Home from Lexapro

Sunday Recovered from Lexapro and Wellbutrin

Missmellie Lexapro Recovery Story

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

• Moderator Emeritus

Not really sure what kindling means, sorry

Kindling means the nervous system reacts strongly to going back on the drug, because it has been highly sensitized.  Here is more info on that: 

Kindling and Hypersensitivity

8 minutes ago, getofflex said:

Kindling means the nervous system reacts strongly to going back on the drug, because it has been highly sensitized.  Here is more info on that: 

Kindling and Hypersensitivity

Thank for you the kind words in the post before this. I truly hope the severe brain fog and struggle of processing thoughts and thinking clearly goes away, along with the face/neck issues & coughing/breathing problems. Last night I was trying to critically think about something, my brain stalled in place and I got so upset and depressed. I feel neutered so much. If I can take legal action, I absolutely will. I wonder if she's liable for 1. not really asking me how I was doing since I went off 30mg of Lexapro cold turkey and had a breakdown, and 2. just put me back on 10mg instead of trying to thing of another medication to use. I tried suggesting I go on something else, and she refused. I wanted to try other stuff and she didn't allow it. It's very much negligence, I think.

The APRN I went to lives in Texas now, and is still licensed in RI along with other states, but hasn't updated any of their pages to say they live in Texas now. Their website is shoddy and not finished (The reviews section just has templates that say REVIEW 1, REVIEW 2, etc.). Just very strange. 

Does going back on Lexapro with a highly kindled brain mean the 10mg damaged my brain, or just made me have a very bad reaction to it that is essentially temporary, but long to recover from?

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

• Moderator Emeritus

Kindling means that you had a bad reaction and this will eventually go away. I just want to reassure you that people who have bad reactions on a high dose like 10 mg often respond well to a very low-dose reinstatement. Please carefully read the link on reinstatement and let me know what you think.

Just now, getofflex said:

Kindling means that you had a bad reaction and this will eventually go away. I just want to reassure you that people who have bad reactions on a high dose like 10 mg often respond well to a very low-dose reinstatement. Please carefully read the link on reinstatement and let me know what you think.

Okay, will do. I was on 30mg for a few years, and then was reinstated at 10mg I'd say around 3ish months after going off 30mg cold turkey. If 10mg is a high dosage, 30mg must be overload. I wonder if being on such a high dosage, and not being tapered off, and then my brain getting a high dosage all of a sudden again, caused real non-temporary damage. I hope not.

You also say it's temporary, but my issues haven't gone away in almost a year. I feel worse some days than I did half a year ago. I hope you're right.

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

• Moderator Emeritus
On 8/9/2021 at 2:28 PM, rilexapro said:

If 10mg is a high dosage, 30mg must be overload

The standard starting dose is 5 mg to 10 mg for Lexapro.  So yes, 30 mg is a hefty dose.  

On 8/9/2021 at 2:28 PM, rilexapro said:

I wonder if being on such a high dosage, and not being tapered off, and then my brain getting a high dosage all of a sudden again, caused real non-temporary damage. I hope not.

I believe it caused real damage, but that the damage is temporary.  However, it takes a lot of time for the nervous system to heal itself.  Did you read any of the success stories in the links above?  It will help you have hope for healing.   

8 hours ago, getofflex said:

The standard starting dose is 5 mg to 10 mg for Lexapro.  So yes, 30 mg is a hefty dose.  

I believe it caused real damage, but that the damage is temporary.  However, it takes a lot of time for the nervous system to heal itself.  Did you read any of the success stories in the links above?  It will help you have hope for healing.   

Yes, I read the success stories. I actually feel better today, a little tired but mentally better. My neck/face problem might be a pinched nerve of some sort.

By "real damage", what do you mean, exactly? 

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

• Moderator Emeritus

Maybe real damage isn’t the correct term but it does change our brains. Check out the link in my initial post of how psych meds remodel our brains.

Edited by getofflex

2 hours ago, getofflex said:

Maybe real damage isn’t the correct term but it does change our brains. Check out the link in my initial post of how psych meds remodel our brains.

Yeah, psych meds do change our brain's architecture over time, but from what I know, your brain can, also over time, revert back and fix itself to when it wasn't a part of your system.

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

• 1 month later...

Update: Felt the worst I've felt in months. Constant weird feeling on the left side of my body, specifically in the face, chest, thigh, and foot. Neurologist visit was pointless, refused to believe Lexapro could cause this, even at the high dosage I was at, going off of that cold turkey, and then going back on it at a lesser dosage. PCP's office was very rude at first, saying to just call the neurologist back, and if my problems were so bad to just go to the ER, which I am not doing. I re-called the office and the second person was much nicer, said the neurologist gets complaints a lot, and said they would set me up with another neurologist for a second opinion.

I am lying in bed. I feel very sick, tired, and numb. I feel no emotions recently. No libido, nothing. I feel nothing when I laugh, cry, etc. The only thing that slightly improved over time was sleep. I no longer wake up with a dry sinus, but at times I have a weird feeling in my sinus areas, almost a numbness. Also, for some reason, I will manually have to breathe for myself. 

I do not know if I had neurotoxicity, or what. I don't know what could cause such a terrible health situation. I almost doubt the SSRI could do this, but what else could? It all seems neurologically related.

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody willing to help me?

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

• Administrator

Hello, @rilexapro 

What times o'clock do you take your drugs, with their dosages? Are the symptoms you reported worse at any particular times of day?

When did these symptoms appear?

Have you forgotten to take a dose, had alcohol, or been treated with antibiotics recently?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

2 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Hello, @rilexapro 

What times o'clock do you take your drugs, with their dosages? Are the symptoms you reported worse at any particular times of day?

When did these symptoms appear?

Have you forgotten to take a dose, had alcohol, or been treated with antibiotics recently?

I haven't been on medication in over a year. I've been dealing with horrible problems since then. I mentioned it in the first post.

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

• Administrator

When did you last take Lexapro?

You might file a complaint with your state health board about the APRN.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

On 9/14/2021 at 9:46 AM, rilexapro said:

I almost doubt the SSRI could do this, but what else could?

Going from 30 mg Lexapro to 0 suddenly is probably what is causing your trouble.  

Cold Turkey/Fast Taper

You can, and eventually will, recover from this, as long as you take proper care of yourself.  It will take a lot of time, and patience.  I'm sorry that you are dealing with this, and that the doctor and their staff have been so unhelpful and rude.  The vast majority of doctors are clues about the dependency and withdrawal from psych meds. 

On 9/29/2021 at 10:14 PM, Altostrata said:

When did you last take Lexapro?

You might file a complaint with your state health board about the APRN.

I last took it in October 2020.

The APRN doesn't live in my state anymore. She moved years ago and I would get refills every few months via a webcam session.

Going from 30 mg Lexapro to 0 suddenly is probably what is causing your trouble.  

Cold Turkey/Fast Taper

You can, and eventually will, recover from this, as long as you take proper care of yourself.  It will take a lot of time, and patience.  I'm sorry that you are dealing with this, and that the doctor and their staff have been so unhelpful and rude.  The vast majority of doctors are clues about the dependency and withdrawal from psych meds. 

It's been a year and I don't feel better, I feel worse. This feels permanent to me. I don't know how to fix it. It only started when I tried retaking the Lexapro.

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

• Moderator Emeritus

It may feel permanent because it’s been such a long time. But that doesn’t mean that it is permanent. I know it’s very discouraging when things seem to not be improving. When did you try retaking it? I don’t see anything about that in your drug signature? Can you please put more detail about when you started and stopped the drug and the dosages of each time please? Are you drinking any alcohol or using any mind altering substances?  Are you taking any supplements and if so which ones?

13 minutes ago, getofflex said:

It may feel permanent because it’s been such a long time. But that doesn’t mean that it is permanent. I know it’s very discouraging when things seem to not be improving. When did you try retaking it? I don’t see anything about that in your drug signature? Can you please put more detail about when you started and stopped the drug and the dosages of each time please? Are you drinking any alcohol or using any mind altering substances?  Are you taking any supplements and if so which ones?

I went off 30mg of Lexapro cold turkey in the summer of 2020, recontacted my APRN after a breakdown, went back on 10mg of Lexapro from late September 2020 to early October 2020, and had to go off it again due to the problems that still persist today.

I am not sure if I caused myself serotonin syndrome, as I was taking a 5-HTP over the counter supplement as a replacement for the Lexapro. I am not sure if I took it at the same time as the Lexapro, I cannot remember, sorry. From what I know, serotonin syndrome happens acutely and is pretty obvious, and does not usually leave lasting damage once the toxins are out of your body.

I do not drink or smoke or do any drugs of that sort. I take Lisinopril 20mg for high blood pressure and an over the counter iron supplement for low iron.

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

• Administrator
3 hours ago, rilexapro said:

went back on 10mg of Lexapro from late September 2020 to early October 2020, and had to go off it again due to the problems that still persist today.

It is possible that 10mg dosage was too high for you then, maybe augmented by the 5-HTP.

On 8/7/2021 at 7:53 PM, rilexapro said:

I was put back on 10mg of Lexapro about 2ish weeks after the incident. I remember having a dull pain at the very top of my head for a little bit, and since that week, I've had breathing problems, sinus issues such as dryness and pain (watery mucus too, now my sinuses feel very dry recently), memory loss, brain fog, fatigue, dry mouth, chest pains, face/neck pains and a warm/tingling feeling on the left side of my face (sometimes numbness too), vomiting, throbbing headaches, high blood pressure (this has mainly gone away I think, could have been from withdrawal) jaw stiffness (my teeth would clench subconsciously while awake, that's gone away) and ear ringing. I also now have sleep apnea. I had to immediately stop taking it again due to these issues, I lasted about a week on the new dosage. It almost feels like I had a TBI without having a TBI.

Some of these symptoms have gone away, haven't they? Which resolved, and which remain?

On 9/14/2021 at 7:46 AM, rilexapro said:

I am lying in bed. I feel very sick, tired, and numb. I feel no emotions recently. No libido, nothing. I feel nothing when I laugh, cry, etc. The only thing that slightly improved over time was sleep.

It appears you went off 30mg Lexapro cold turkey in October 2020 (please add the month to your signature) and then perhaps had an adverse reaction to an attempted reinstatement of 10mg.

When people go cold turkey, they run a risk of severe withdrawal symptoms. It's not unusual for these to last many months as protracted withdrawal syndrome. We have seen this very slowly and frustratingly resolves over time. It's a good sign that your withdrawal insomnia improved. What is your sleep pattern now?

The fatigue, lack of libido, and emotional anesthesia are a common consequence of severe antidepressant withdrawal syndrome. 

It's important that you strengthen your sleep with non-drug means as much as you can. See

Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Path to Better Sleep FREE online for everyone from the US Veterans Administration

Music for self-care: Calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

White noise devices for sleep

Melatonin for sleep: Many people find it helpful

TV or computer use in evening can disrupt sleep: Bright light signals the brain that it's daytime

You should also get at least a half-hour of gentle exercise, such as walking every day, and eat good, fresh food with lots of green vegetables.

There is a possibility that low-dose reinstatement may help you, maybe 0.5mg citalopram, Lexapro's milder sibling. You'd stabilize and taper off by tiny amounts later. Do you want to try this?

2 hours ago, Altostrata said:

It is possible that 10mg dosage was too high for you then, maybe augmented by the 5-HTP.

I find it strange that I would not have serotonin syndrome after taking 30mg of Lexapro daily, but 5-HTP and 10mg of Lexapro would create a combination that would cause it. Not sure how it works.

Some of these symptoms have gone away, haven't they? Which resolved, and which remain?

Not really. I still have brain fog, fatigue, memory loss, trouble speaking eloquentlly, pains/twitching in my body, nerve problems on the left side, etc. 

It's not as severe as last year, but it's still there.

It appears you went off 30mg Lexapro cold turkey in October 2020 (please add the month to your signature) and then perhaps had an adverse reaction to an attempted reinstatement of 10mg.

That's what I think too, but I don't get how it could cause such a severe reaction, that this would happen, especially since my body was used to Lexapro.

When people go cold turkey, they run a risk of severe withdrawal symptoms. It's not unusual for these to last many months as protracted withdrawal syndrome. We have seen this very slowly and frustratingly resolves over time. It's a good sign that your withdrawal insomnia improved. What is your sleep pattern now?

The fatigue, lack of libido, and emotional anesthesia are a common consequence of severe antidepressant withdrawal syndrome. 

The libido and emotional numbness feels more recent. Not sure how that happens.

It's important that you strengthen your sleep with non-drug means as much as you can. See

Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Path to Better Sleep FREE online for everyone from the US Veterans Administration

Music for self-care: Calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

White noise devices for sleep

Melatonin for sleep: Many people find it helpful

TV or computer use in evening can disrupt sleep: Bright light signals the brain that it's daytime

You should also get at least a half-hour of gentle exercise, such as walking every day, and eat good, fresh food with lots of green vegetables.

There is a possibility that low-dose reinstatement may help you, maybe 0.5mg citalopram, Lexapro's milder sibling. You'd stabilize and taper off by tiny amounts later. Do you want to try this?

I use a CPAP machine for sleep apnea, which I was diagnosed with this year. 

As for reinstating on citalopram, I'm nervous to retake any psych meds. Why do you think I was put on Lexapro over that, if Lexapro is more harsh? Not sure if you can answer that.

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

• Administrator

What we see is that when people go off their drug and get withdrawal syndrome, their nervous systems become sensitized and they may not be able to tolerate dosages they previously took. This is very common.

This is one reason why we suggest very low dosages for reinstatement.

10 minutes ago, rilexapro said:

It's not as severe as last year, but it's still there.

This is an improvement. When we say recovery is slow, we mean it is slooooow, with lots of ups and downs. It's very common for symptoms to flux and mutate.

Why were you put on Lexapro? Who knows, it could have been your prescriber's favorite antidepressant. Their choices are often arbitrary.

Up to you if you want to try a very small dose of citalopram.

18 hours ago, Altostrata said:

What we see is that when people go off their drug and get withdrawal syndrome, their nervous systems become sensitized and they may not be able to tolerate dosages they previously took. This is very common.

This is one reason why we suggest very low dosages for reinstatement.

Would my former APRN prescriber be liable at all for causing this? She never asked for blood tests or to see if my body could handle Lexapro anymore. She just reordered a lower dosage of Lexapro, never really asked how I felt healthwise.

I'm not even sure what tests I could take to prove Lexapro caused this, but I'd like to at least find out why this happened. So far no doctor can properly diagnose it.

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

• Administrator

There are no tests. If you have a lot of money, you could try suing your APRN for malpractice. You'll have to talk to an attorney about this.

Just now, Altostrata said:

There are no tests. If you have a lot of money, you could try suing your APRN for malpractice. You'll have to talk to an attorney about this.

Really? Are there no tests to check for brain activity problems or nerve damage? I thought SPECT scans check for blood flow problems in the brain.

I called my father's probate lawyer but they never got back to me. Might re-call them.

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

• Administrator

There are no tests. You're not the first person to ask this. Sorry.

27 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

There are no tests. You're not the first person to ask this. Sorry.

Is there anything I can do to show possible damage done to me? There's no way to see why I have nerve problems on the left side of my body? No way to see if I have brain damage?

Sorry if I sound dumb, I just find it unbelievable there's no tests for neurological/nervous system damage.

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

• Administrator

You'd have to go to a neurologist to see if you have nerve damage on the left side of your body. If it's from withdrawal, tests probably will not show anything.

1 minute ago, Altostrata said:

You'd have to go to a neurologist to see if you have nerve damage on the left side of your body. If it's from withdrawal, tests probably will not show anything.

At this point I just want to find out what's happened to my body. Not that concerned with if it was caused by the Lexapro. Once it gets diagnosed I can start properly getting healing treatment.

I'm still going to look into a lawsuit at some point in the future. I think I mentioned this, but my MRI showed no brain damage, so I guess that's something to be optimistic about. I read about somebody who had Lexapro cause lesions in his brain.

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

• Administrator

Many people here have had such neurological and brain imaging tests. They very rarely show anything of note, and when they do, it was something that was always there.

Please see the Symptoms and Self-Care forum for the many discussions about this.

Just now, Altostrata said:

Many people here have had such neurological and brain imaging tests. They very rarely show anything of note, and when they do, it was something that was always there.

Please see the Symptoms and Self-Care forum for the many discussions about this.

Okay, thanks.

How would I get it proven SSRIs caused this? Is it impossible, and I'm stuck not having a case against anybody? People say this heals over time, but for me, I feel like something permanent was done. The nerve problems suggest that.

Am I just stuck dealing with doctors who refuse to believe SSRIs cause this, meaning I never get proper help?

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

It's been a year of feeling unhealthy. Will I ever be myself again?

I explained my story in my introductory thread a while ago, but to sum it up here, I had been on 30mg of Lexapro for years, went off it cold turkey in June 2020 due to refill issues with my APRN, tried going back on Lexapro at a 10mg dosage a few months later (From late September 2020 to early October 2020), and had to stop again due to a multitude of rapidly onsetting problems, such as brain fog, fatigue, memory loss, nerve issues, numb emotions, jaw clenching, chest/neck pain, low/no libido, breathing problems, sinus issues, watery mucus, and a ton of other stuff I can't remember.

It has been over a year since I have taken any sort of psych med. I was put on Lisinopril 20mg for high blood pressure, which still can get high, so I'm not sure if that's totally related to the SSRI, but I do not take anything else of that sort.

I have spent all year going to doctors and trying to research myself what could have happened. I possibly caused myself serotonin syndrome by taking an over the counter 5-HTP supplement alongside the Lexapro, but 1. I find it odd 30mg of Lexapro would not cause that, but 10mg of Lexapro plus 5-HTP would, and 2. Serotonin syndrome most of the time is very acute, and is not something subtle, and also mostly goes away once the toxins are removed. My problems have been long term.

I also wonder if I had COVID, and I've had what they call "long COVID" where the symptoms take a long time to heal.

I have considered taking legal action against the APRN/Lexapro manufacturers, but I would need proof the Lexapro cause this, and I don't know how to do that. My former APRN lives in Texas, and I live in Rhode Island, so I do not know if she was doing anything legally unsound. From what I know, APRNs in Texas are legally required to work with physicians, but she wasn't licensed in Texas itself, she just resides there.

My main trouble is seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. My problems have slowly improved, but some days are just as bad as it was last year. I felt so sick and awful last year, I can't believe Lexapro would do it, considering I had actually gone off Lexapro a few times before last year, and re-instated myself, with no serious problems. Maybe I had COVID, I don't know. I'm just looking for some optimism. This year has been terrible, at the same time this is happening to me, my mom was dying of cancer. I haven't had time to properly address my grief with that, due to Lexapro possibly doing serious harm to my brain and body.

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020