Hayek: Tapering Zyprexa

Hayek

Hello Everybody, 

so this is going to be a short introduction about my current situation: I am currently taking 2,5 mg Zyprexa and 40mg Mirtazapine after having severe depression and sleeping problems, which were caused by my former friends group dosing me with Molly. I was in a rough spot and had suicidal ideation for more than 2 months. I went to therapy and stabilized myself. I have now completely stabilized and talked to my doctor about cutting out Zyprexa because I was kind of concerned about tardive dyskinesia. I have now been on Zyprexa for 6 months and my doctor recommended me to jump off the 2,5 mg because he referred to it as "homeopathic dose". Though I have read that many people would recommend tapering off the 2,5 mg Zyprexa to avoid any complications. I seek some help to get off the Zyprexa. What should I do? Should I just go cold turkey and get off the meds or taper down?

Trittico 150mg (April-June 2021)
Mirtazapine 15 mg (June-July)
Mirtazapine 30 mg (July-September 2021)
Mirtazapine 45 mg (September 2021) onwards
Zyprexa 2,5 mg (June 2021 onwards)

• Kiasofia changed the title to Hayek: Tapering zyprexa

Welcome Hayek

Psychedelics like MDMA can bring up unprocessed past trauma in a big way, which can be very destabilising if we're not also in a good place to deal with it and have appropriate support.  Therapy can certainly help you here - well done.

While 2.5mg is not a large dose of olanzapine, you'll almost certainly do better to taper off.  Quitting cold turkey after more than a month generally leads to difficulties one might best avoid.  The recommended baseline taper rate is 10% a month.  By trying this when ready you should have a safe estimation of whether you might be able to taper a bit faster, or in many cases maybe a bit solwer.

Generally we also recommend only tapering one drug at a time.  Other mods will have advice shortly about which to come off first.

I will post some links for you to review shortly.

I am not a health professional - your actions are your own.  

Please do not seek tapering support via private message - "Any reason to hold is a good one"

My taper visualised as a graph   |   My intro thread

Backdrop:  2003 10mg olanzapine | 2004 2-3mg risperidone | end 2014 3wks aripiprazole

2015: olanzapine  10 -> 7½ -> 6⅔ -> 5mg  by crude pill cutter

2018:  Mar 5.00mg -> water titrated taper -> Aug2.5mg tablet and hold

Jan 2019 2.50mg water titration -> Jan 2020 1.214  -> Jan 2021 0.44 -> 2 Oct 0.205 ->3 Oct ZERO🥂

Jun 2023 💉150mg paliperidone "loading" depot shot, 100mg 1wk after Jul 100mg Aug-Dec 75mg/4wks

Jul 2023 2.50mg aripiprazole/day attempt to lower prolactin^

Jan-Feb 2024 cross taper off shots to 1mg risperidone

Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country did to you"  -- KMFDM

• ChessieCat changed the title to Hayek: Tapering Zyprexa

These should get you started, there is a wealth of info on the site.  Cheers

Please do not seek tapering support via private message - "Any reason to hold is a good one"

Backdrop:  2003 10mg olanzapine | 2004 2-3mg risperidone | end 2014 3wks aripiprazole

Jan 2019 2.50mg water titration -> Jan 2020 1.214  -> Jan 2021 0.44 -> 2 Oct 0.205 ->3 Oct ZERO🥂

Jun 2023 💉150mg paliperidone "loading" depot shot, 100mg 1wk after Jul 100mg Aug-Dec 75mg/4wks

Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country did to you"  -- KMFDM

• Administrator

Welcome, @Hayek

I agree, you'd want to go off olanzapine, a high-risk drug, first, and you need to taper it, as @hayduke recommended.

10 hours ago, Hayek said:

he referred to it as "homeopathic dose"

This is a stupid remark.

What effect does mirtazapine have on you?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Okay, I will start tapering. I have read the threads @hayduke has posted and will follow the 10% taper method. But could I also go faster as I feel like I could do it?

Mirtazapine has an antidepressive effect and has a minor sedating effect. 

Edited by hayduke
typo (I assume!)

@haydukeyes I was definitely not ready for the MDMA experience as it was completely involuntary. Getting slipped something into your drink was definitely a traumatic experience. I think it let my depression and trauma surface which I am now dealing with. 

Extremely poor behaviour from your friends.  It's a golden rule never to surprise dose anyone, especially with powerful entheogens.  "Set and setting" are the foundation of safe and healthy psychedelic use, and they gave you no chance to prepare either.

I've found EMDR therapy highly effective for trauma myself.

Give monthly 10% cuts at least two or three rounds before you consider going faster...and again, you may find you want to go slower.

Cheers