Turkey: Question about Prozac taper

Turkey

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm feeling okay and felt reasonable throughout the majority of my taper.  The issues I had were right at the start which is when I found SA and it took a little bit of time to stabilise after I updosed.  The delayed reaction I had was after a cold turkey.  I tapered the Pristiq following SA's tapering protocol.

The idea of tapering so that the brain adapts to not getting as much of the drug.  If we take the drug away took quickly we can get bad withdrawal symptoms because the brain automatically tries to regain homeostasis, sort things out about how to work without the drug.  Tapering is "sneaking" the drug away.  We might still get some withdrawal symptoms, but they are generally mild and resolve fairly quickly after a reduction.

It is important not to taper if you are experiencing withdrawal symptoms and it is a good idea to hold on a dose if you are sick, experiencing added stress, or even if you are going on a holiday (which can be a "good" stress).

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 2 weeks later...

I know that the reason we taper slowly is in order to avoid and/or minimize withdrawal symptoms.  But it seems like there are a lot of people who experience protracted withdrawal and difficult symptoms even after jumping from a long taper.  Why is that?  Is there any way to avoid that?  And, if you do experience difficult withdrawal symptoms even while doing a slow taper, does that mean you will probably have a difficult and protracted withdrawal?  I am still in benzo withdrawal (10 months off) and experiencing bad symptoms, but I am really worried that continuing to take Prozac might be making me even worse or might be keeping me from recovering from benzos.  I decided to do another 5% cut of Prozac (I did my first 10% cut three months ago).  Now I am terrified that I might be making a mistake and it might make me even worse.  Everyone suggested that I wait to continue with a Prozac taper until I go through benzo withdrawal or "stabilise."  But that might take another year, and I am alreaady 71 years old.  Advice, suggestions would be very appreciated.  Should I really react to a 5% cut this early in a Prozac taper?

2000-2005:  Tried various Antidepressants, then Paxil for 5 years; Valium 2 - 4 mg for flights, 

dental / medical procedures, probably about 2-3 times per year, never 2 days in a row

2005-2017:   Switched in 2005 to Prozac, 10 mg, took Prozac 12 years

2017:  CT off Prozac, reinstated after about a month (10 mg.)

August 2020:  CT off Prozac

November 2020 - February 2021:   Valium 1 mg day, then 2 mg day, then 2 mg twice day

End February 2021:  Took 5 mg Prozac for 3 days and went berzerk, so stopped.

March 1, 2021:   After ER visit switched to .50 mg Ativan 3 times a day (1.5 mg day total)

March 14, 2021:  Reinstated Prozac, 10 mg.

April 1, 2021:  Switched from Ativan to Tranxene, tapered Tranxene 7.5 mg day (2.5 mg / 3 times a day) over 3 days, then jumped on April 4, 2020, before finishing so-called "detox". Benzo free since April  4.

Currently still on 10 mg Prozac, which I started to taper 5 weeks ago by reducing 10%

• Administrator

Please update your signature.

Did you make a recent reduction in Prozac? If so, how do you feel?

If you're asking what will happen -- we don't know, we can't predict the future. Most people do fine with 5% or 10% reductions, some do not.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.