clugo1976: Zoloft and Geodon

clugo1976

Hi, I am currently on 200 mg of Zoloft and 120 mg (60 mg x 2) of Geodon per day.  I would like to taper off the Geodon.  I really don't like the way it makes me feel and if I don't take it on time or heaven forbid, miss one dose I am in full blown withdrawal, shakes, headaches, dizziness, etc. by the next morning.  My doctor will not support this taper so I can't get a script for liquid Geodon so I will need to taper using the capsules.  Can I do this using the weight method or do I need to count beads?  Any help would be much appreciated.  I need to go as slowly as possible.  TIA!

Zoloft, 200 mg, since 2005 - 2014, then 2016-2018, May 2019 - present

Lithium, 1200 mg, 2014 - 2016, rapid taper per doctor

Tegretol, 1000 mg, 2014 - 2016, rapid taper per doctor, caused temporary tardive dyskinesia

Cymbalta, 60 mg, December 2018 - May 2019, rapid taper per my doctor, still suffering from PAWS

Geodon, 120 mg, 2016 - present 

• ChessieCat changed the title to clugo1976: Zoloft and Geodon
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi clugo and welcome to SA,

I am pleased that you have found SA before trying to get of your drugs.  That is a high dose of Zoloft that you are taking.

It's good that you recognised that you got withdrawal symptoms when you miss a dose.

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

Please create your drug signature.  Include ALL drugs and supplements, details for 2 years, older than 2 years a summary.  If you have changed the doses of any of your drugs, please include the date you changed the dose and the dose amount. 

Please remember to update your drug signature whenever you make a change.  This way the staff can see your drug history at a glance and not have to waste time reading back through your posts to get the information.  Thank you.

The easiest way to list your drugs is a line per drug, followed by the date and the dose.  If there are any drugs that you are no longer taking or you have gone off your current drugs at some time, please include the date of the last dose and the dose amount and one of the following CT, fast taper OFF, slow taper OFF  Thank you.

Drug name:  date, dose; date, dose; date, dose;

Drug name:  date, dose; date, dose; date, dose;

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

SA's recommended tapering protocol is to reduce by no more than 10% of the current dose followed by a hold of about 4 weeks to allow the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug. 

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Please see Post # of this topic which explains how to get non standard doses:

Tips for tapering off ziprasidone (Geodon, Zeldox)

and for later:

Tips for tapering off sertraline (Zoloft)

1 hour ago, clugo1976 said:

My doctor will not support this taper

We have many members who are tapering without the support of a doctor.  All you need is to be able to get a prescription.  Some members are tapering without their doctor's knowledge.

how-to-talk-to-a-doctor-about-tapering-and-withdrawal-what-to-expect

Each member has only one Introduction topic.  This is your own Introduction topic and it is the best place to ask questions specific to your own situation and where you can journal your progress.  This keeps your history in one place and means that you do not have to repeat yourself.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, clugo1976 said:

I am currently on 200 mg of Zoloft and 120 mg (60 mg x 2) of Geodon per day.  I would like to taper off the Geodon.

Something to keep in mind is that the Zoloft is generally activating.  I do not know about the Geodon but the Post #1 of the Tips for tapering it topic says:  "It has a host of side effects. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ziprasidone for background."  So it definitely makes sense to at least start tapering the Geodon first, especially if you know that you are experiencing side effects from it.  But if you find that your sleep starts to get affected as your Geodon dose gets lower and you are not tapering too quickly, you might consider stopping the Geodon taper and taper the Zoloft for a while.

It is important to listen to your body / symptoms and not follow a calendar.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Thanks for the information.  I am still wondering how to taper the Geodon, do I open the capsules and count or weigh what is inside and then repack them?

Zoloft, 200 mg daily, for the last 15 years with a short break 2 years ago for 6 months

Cymbalta, 60 mg daily, for 6 months while on a break from Zoloft, rapid taper per my doctor, still suffering from PAWS

Geodon, 120 mg daily, for the last 7 years 

Tegretol, 1000 mg, 2014 - 2016, rapid taper per doctor, caused temporary tardive dyskinesia

Cymbalta, 60 mg, December 2018 - May 2019, rapid taper per my doctor, still suffering from PAWS

Thanks for the information.  I will open my capsules and weigh and repack.  Please disregard the message above 

Zoloft, 200 mg daily, for the last 15 years with a short break 2 years ago for 6 months

Cymbalta, 60 mg daily, for 6 months while on a break from Zoloft, rapid taper per my doctor, still suffering from PAWS

• Moderator Emeritus

We need you to add dates to the above and remove the number of years.  (No of yrs becomes obsolete in the future)

For the Zoloft please state the years and the months.  The more accurate the information is the better.

Click on this link to go to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Remember to click on Save underneath the box.

This will appear below every post you make and allow the staff to see your drug history at a glance.

Please remember to update it with the date and dose whenever you make a change so it remains current. 

• 4 weeks later...

@clugo1976Hi clugo:

Was wondering how the Geodon taper was going and how you were. I am getting off Gedon myself. 

2016-2019 Lithium

2016-2020 Lorazepam

2016- October 2021 Hydroxizine 

2016-now Seroquel 50 mg September 2021 down to 37.5 every other day for two weeks, back up to 50mg/day after 2 weeks

2017-now Geodon 20mg. Sept 16 2021 10 mg every 5th day and 20mg the other days until Oct 8 2021.

2021 Geodon all in mg Oct 9 17.5 Nov 7 16 Dec 5 15.6 Dec 12 15.2 Dec 19 14.67 Dec 26 14.14  

2022 Geodon in mg Jan 2 13.6 taper weekly Oct 19 2.8mg

2021 Nov 15 50mg Magnesium Citrate Melatonin 1mg