Myself114: introduction Zoloft / sertraline

Myself114

Hi,

I am 67 yo female, I am on Sertraline 50mg since 2001. I think I had mania all way along however most recently due to pandemic my negative effects are way too strong so I am looking to taper it off to slightly lower dose. The irritability is very high so does mood swings form few hours to few days which are now very bad.

So I have many questions for my particular case, like speed of tapering, how to dose Zoloft (it's quite hard to make 1/8th of tablet and not sure about diluting), if I should split the doses to avoid maximum plasma concentrations (but I can't take it before night) etc.

The mania is full-blown with episodes of something like not even on c-rated horrors.

My psychiatrist is usually very careful with giving too much drugs however she does seem not to care much with antidepressants. Most recently she prescribed Sertraline 200mg to my friend 70 yo female and she constantly falls. I have read that in this age this is definitely wrong dose as the side effects cancel all benefits. I think she feels "high" so she feels OK, but I don't think this is the way and she should try to some good psychotherapy instead and obviously lower dose. And she continues to live this dangerous live now because of euphoria.

Edited by ChessieCat
added spacing for easier reading

Sertraline 50 mg since 2001 to Nov 2021

Started tapering off on 8th Nov 2021 with 43.75 mg or even slightly more as it's hard to divide.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Myself114: introduction Zoloft / sertraline

Welcome @Myself114

Unfortunately most doctors do not understand well how these drugs affect people, so it's important to read and learn all you can in this forum.

What symptoms have you noticed when you reduced from 50mg to 43.75? Did the irritability and mood swings start before or after you reduced the dose? What kind of "mania" are you having now? Did it start when you were at 50 mg or happen when you lowered the dose?

If you are feeling worse now than at 50 mg it means you should not reduce the dose any more until you are better.

Before tapering more read this:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

NEVER SKIP DOSES TO TAPER

Tips for tapering off sertraline (Zoloft)

In some countries you can get Sertraine/Zoloft as a liquid, it is also possible to make yourself, to make doses that don't exist in pills.

You have been taking this drug for a long time and need to be careful to monitor withdrawal and go slowly.

Learn about withdrawal so you know what to look for:

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

Are you taking any other medications, vitamins, supplements? What about alcohol, coffee, nicotine use?

When we have a few more details, we will be in a better position to offer support and suggestions. This is your Introductory topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  Please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Edited by Kiasofia

These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I have learned, not medical advice.

Drug history

2002-2019 Citalopram/Escitalopram, Lamictal
2019 April Escitalopram, quit at 10mg (withdrawal), Oct Escitalopram 10mg reinstated, quit after a few days (adverse reaction)

2019 Oct Lamictal cut from 200mg to 100mg
2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

2020 Aug-Nov Lamictal tapered to 50 mg

2020 Nov 24 Lithium taper started, 30 Jan off Lithium

2021 15. March-31. May Lamictal tapered to 32.5 mg (holding)

2022 10. Jan started taking 25mg+5mg+2mg+0.5 liquid, 22. Jan went back to taking 25mg+5mg+half 5mg