SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

SvenZagreb: Zoloft withdrawal please help

SvenZagreb

19 hours ago, Frogie said:

Maybe this article will help:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8411-bts-the-many-faces-of-reinstatement/#entry35502

I can’t tell you to reinstate, only you can make that decision. However even taking a Valium or Xanax on the weekends for as long as you did your body will become dependent on it.

I wish I had the magic words that I knew how long this might take to heal from, unfortunately I don’t. I don’t know if it’s the benzo or the Zoloft you are experiencing wd from because it seems you went off of both at relatively the same time.

Take care,

Frogie xx 

Frogie thank you for all the effort. I really appreciate it.

I cant open the link you sent me because it says its for administrators only. Do you have some other useful articles or links?

Can you just tell me few more things please?

How long after taking last pill do I have to decide if I will reinstate?

If I renstate with 0.5mg/day, how would the taper from that look like? Taking 10% off that every month? I cant cut pills precisely to those fractions i think. So I will have to make liquids right?

Zoloft 50mg-December 2005-April 2006 (18 yo) 
Zoloft 50mg- July 2009- July 2010 (21-22yo) 
Zoloft 25/50mg - June 2019-March 2021 (31-33yo) fast taper

Diazepam/Xanax 10mg once a week2016-2021

Took Lithium orotate supplement for 4 days 2,5mg per day, felt huge depression and anxiety- Oct 22'

Day 4

8am woke up feeling depressed,had breakfast

9am started my job depression eased a bit

12- had lunch,feeling ok

3pm- feeling anxious that I am having some mental illness and not withdrawl

7pm-feeling lazy and anhedonic, skipped gym because of it

9pm- went for a walk with dog

11pm- went to bed feeling low

I am affraid i am not getting any better and like I am going to live forever in this anhedonic,low mood,depressive/anxious state...

Whole day every day i feel anhedonic,depressive,no libido,overanalysing every tought I have and every move I make,lazy,sleepy,nostalgic,irritable,hostile...

Took Lithium orotate supplement for 4 days 2,5mg per day, felt huge depression and anxiety- Oct 22'

I think you are in the window to reinstate if you wish to do so.

Try this link:

If you decide to reinstate, the best way to do it is get a scale, crush and weigh the tablets. But I will be happy to help you with that if you decide.

Tapering is different for everyone. The standard we recommend here is 10% a month. But you could go slower if needed because of symptoms.

It won't last forever. Your body has to, heal. Unfortunately I nor anyone here can tell you how long that might take.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

9 hours ago, Frogie said:

I think you are in the window to reinstate if you wish to do so.

Try this link:

If you decide to reinstate, the best way to do it is get a scale, crush and weigh the tablets. But I will be happy to help you with that if you decide.

Tapering is different for everyone. The standard we recommend here is 10% a month. But you could go slower if needed because of symptoms.

It won't last forever. Your body has to, heal. Unfortunately I nor anyone here can tell you how long that might take.

Thx,this link worked...

This is the interesting part written there: 

" It is generally felt that if a person has recently come off benzos rapidly and is extremely unwell, then reinstatement may be an option to discuss with their doctor.

It is also felt that if a person has done a reasonable taper and is many months or years into recovery that reinstatement should only be considered if the person has absolutely no quality of life"

Well, I have all those symptoms I wrote about but I can still live productive life. For sure I dont feel good in my skin and it makes me miserable every second of the day but I am not having symptoms so hard that I cant live. I also dont have any physical symptoms to make me even worse. So I should be greatful for that.

Do you agree that reinstatement should be done only for folks whose symptoms make their quality of life an absolute zero?

I dont want you to decide for me ofcourse,and I will make that decision on my own but can I ask you what would you decide if you were me?

I swear this was the last set of questions 😅

• Moderator Emeritus

@SvenZagrebdid you go off Zoloft cold turkey in March 2021?  or did you fast taper?  Please indicate in your drug signature.  

46 minutes ago, SvenZagreb said:

Do you agree that reinstatement should be done only for folks whose symptoms make their quality of life an absolute zero?

I personally think a reinstatement can be done if the withdrawal effects are severe, especially if the person has a significantly hard time eating, sleeping, or functioning in their job or vocation.  

11 hours ago, SvenZagreb said:

Whole day every day i feel anhedonic,depressive,no libido,overanalysing every tought I have and every move I make,lazy,sleepy,nostalgic,irritable,hostile...

I believe you may benefit from a reinstatement, based on this.  Is this how you have felt since you quit Zoloft in March?  Or have you had any improvement at all since March?  How is your eating, sleeping, and basic functioning?  

Did you have adverse effects from taking the Zoloft? 

Edited by getofflex

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

22 hours ago, getofflex said:

@SvenZagrebdid you go off Zoloft cold turkey in March 2021?  or did you fast taper?  Please indicate in your drug signature.  

I personally think a reinstatement can be done if the withdrawal effects are severe, especially if the person has a significantly hard time eating, sleeping, or functioning in their job or vocation.  

I believe you may benefit from a reinstatement, based on this.  Is this how you have felt since you quit Zoloft in March?  Or have you had any improvement at all since March?  How is your eating, sleeping, and basic functioning?  

Did you have adverse effects from taking the Zoloft? 

I didnt go CT but fast taper. But I was fluctuating with doses for the whole time while taking it.

Ok,updated signature.

Well i dont have hard time eating(i eat too much!),sleeping or functioning on my job. I just feel low and weird and not like myself all the time. All my symptoms are mentioned in my first post and there are quite a bit 😕

well i didnt feel like this since stopping zoloft in March. I started feeling like this around October/November 2020. I had some good days but I also had worse days. But all of my symptoms persist. Not even one went away..

my basic functioning/eating/sleeping is ok but I feel all those symptoms every day and I dont want to live like this. I've had enough. I didnt feel anything positive for more then a year now. I have derealization every day,anhedonia,no libido and bunch of all other symptoms I already mentioned. And its killing me slowly...

I didnt have adverse zoloft effect,I stopped it because it wasnt helping me.

I somehow feel like my symptoms started after I stopped benzos and then,because I didnt know whats wrong with me, i started zoloft to help me out. But in fact, it never did help me so i stopped it. And benzos symptoms are present all the time because from time to time (once every month or two) I still took them because I didnt know they caused withdrawal. And I didnt know because I didnt believe taking them only on weekends can create dependency. Also symptoms started like a month after stopping first time so i didnt connect symptoms to cause.

Day 5

7am-woke up,depressive and tired,had nightmares

8am had breakfast

1pm had lunch,analysing myself whole day. All symptoms persist. Feeling low but nothing overwhelms me.

4pm- done with job,mentally exhausted even thou I hadnt had demanding day. I spent my day googling about symptoms. Derealization went worse.

5pm- hostility and irritability turned up. Anxiety showed up about why I cant control those negative emotions.

8pm- had dinner and went for a walk. So tired I cant even funcion properly. Like I have 0 energy in my mind while my body is not fatigued.

Went for an hour long walk with a dog

10pm- went to bed because I couldnt stay awake any further. I dont see light at the end of tunnel. I am pessimistic and like i am stuck in a bad dream. I am affraid i could lose my job because my motivation is absolute zero for that job and any job and bacically for anything in my life. And when I have zero motivation, i struggle to satisfy job demands... 

Please don't Google symptoms and such. You will drive yourself crazy. You can't believe everything that is out there on the web.

Take a deep breath and tell yourself this will pass, because it will. I just wish I could tell you when.

Try taking an Epson salt bath. Sometimes with some lavender oil in helps me.

Just try to do a lot of self care. It's great you went for a walk. That's good self care and exercise all at once.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

• Moderator Emeritus
4 hours ago, SvenZagreb said:

But I was fluctuating with doses for the whole time while taking it.

You fluctuated doses only during the taper, or the whole time you were taking the medication before you started tapering?  This can cause major problems.  Because there is an inconsistent amount of the drug in your bloodstream, your nervous system becomes destabilized, and you get symptoms.  

I didnt have adverse zoloft effect,I stopped it because it wasnt helping me.

That's good.  

my basic functioning/eating/sleeping is ok but I feel all those symptoms every day and I dont want to live like this. I've had enough. I didnt feel anything positive for more then a year now. I have derealization every day,anhedonia,no libido and bunch of all other symptoms I already mentioned. And its killing me slowly...

The only way we know to reduce symptoms from withdrawal is to do a small cautious reinstatement.   If it were me, I would try doing back on 1 mg Zoloft each day - don't skip or vary the dose, and take it at the same time each day.  We can see how that goes and take it from there.  

About Reinstating and Stabilizing to Reduce Withdrawal Symptoms

Tips for Tapering Zoloft

I'm not clear on your pattern of taking diazepam/xanax.  You say you take 10 mg once a week.  How many tablets do you take, what is the strength of each tablet, what days and times do you take them, etc?  

I would suggest you look at this link and come up with some non drug coping techniques to help you with pessimism, and focusing on symptoms. Please try to spend less time researching and thinking about the symptoms.  This can cause greater anxiety and depression.  Here are 2 links that may help: 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

Acknowledge, Accept, Float

Radical Acceptance

Edited by getofflex

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

7 hours ago, getofflex said:

You fluctuated doses only during the taper, or the whole time you were taking the medication before you started tapering?  This can cause major problems.  Because there is an inconsistent amount of the drug in your bloodstream, your nervous system becomes destabilized, and you get symptoms.

I would be so greatfull if you could read my first/ intro post in this topic. I really gave my best and tried hard to describe all what had been happening. Answer to this question would be too long so please read my intro post. Thank you for your understanding.

I'm not clear on your pattern of taking diazepam/xanax.  You say you take 10 mg once a week.  How many tablets do you take, what is the strength of each tablet, what days and times do you take them, etc?

That is also described in posts between me and @Frogie. Please take a look on our recent posts.

The only way we know to reduce symptoms from withdrawal is to do a small cautious reinstatement.   If it were me, I would try doing back on 1 mg Zoloft each day - don't skip or vary the dose, and take it at the same time each day.  We can see how that goes and take it from there.

But we still dont know if my symptoms are from benzos or zoloft withdrawl. I can get hooked up on zoloft this way without even getting better. And then be left with symptoms and have to taper off for next year or so...Right?

Do you think my symptoms will never go away if I dont reinstate? 

Also, its been 8 months since I last took zoloft.

Are the odds on my side after so long?

• Moderator Emeritus

This is a large and busy forum, and I don't have time to reread previous posts at this time.  I cannot tell if your symptoms are from benzos or Zoloft withdrawal, or from adverse effects, etc.  

2 hours ago, getofflex said:

This is a large and busy forum, and I don't have time to reread previous posts at this time.  I cannot tell if your symptoms are from benzos or Zoloft withdrawal, or from adverse effects, etc.  

Sure, I understand you and agree with you.

But please understand that I also cant take advices from someone who seems to randomly click on topics and threads and gives advices without reading the introduction,the fundamental part of topic.

Thank you very very much for your time and effort but I am scared to listen to someone who doesnt even bother to read through to my story.

It makes me even more anxious.

I fear it can do me more harm then good.

Thank you for your time ❤

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, SvenZagreb said:

I also cant take advices from someone who seems to randomly click on topics

I am scared to listen to someone who doesnt even bother to read through to my story.

I find the statements above to be disrespectful and uncooperative.  We do not tolerate that sort of thing in this forum. 

Please read What Will Get You Warned or Banned

13 hours ago, getofflex said:

I find the statements above to be disrespectful and uncooperative.  We do not tolerate that sort of thing in this forum. 

Please read What Will Get You Warned or Banned

I really didnt mean to be disrespectfull and tried my hardest to put it as nice as I possibly could. 

It seems that questioning what you do is disrespectful? I didnt know we live in regime where noone can tell you if they think your style is not something they resonate and agree with. 

If this is a forum where one cant disagree with mods, then its place where I dont want to be. But I hope this is just an exception.

I think nazi and fasci time,where one was not able to say what they think of leadership,is long gone. And thank god for that. You live in the States, you know what freedom of speech is.

Dont let your ego govern you. Accepting someone not having total faith in what you do is a strenght,not a weakness.

I really appreciate time you took and I know all what you did was in good intention. You have to know I appreciate that. I mean, it means the world to me. I just dont see eye to eye and I descibed why I dont. Nothing to get upset about. Keep up the good will and work you do. Dont let things like this stand in way of your work. Thank God for people like you. You are an angel. Just not my angel. But I still respect you. You cant be everyone's angel and dont let that hurt your ego.❤

P.S. And cutting sentences out of content and quoting them also doesnt represent sign of good self confidence.

I mean,people lives are at stake here,all we got is you here. Imagine how we feel when some moderator like you says he doesnt have time to read whats our problem and says what should take meds again without even bothering to take 5min to read our topic... just take a moment and try to see it from our angle. And you were talking about uncooperability above? After not bothering to take 5mins and read topic? I guess you think that is cooperable?

Once again, thank you. And dont be too hard on your self. Ban threats are signs of weakness and voulnerability and you are better than that. God bless you.

• Moderator Emeritus

You have been warned for your abusive post.  This forum is not like the rest of the internet.  We have standards of behavior here. If you read the link above, you will see what they are.  

18 minutes ago, getofflex said:

You have been warned for your abusive post.  This forum is not like the rest of the internet.  We have standards of behavior here. If you read the link above, you will see what they are.  

Nice... you are being abusive by not letting people say something about your behavior. I am glad there are standards of behavior here as you said.  Please tell me, do you have any standards that you should stick to as a mod?

If you do, is meeting that standard that you advise people to take pills again without even reading their topic? And saying openly to them that you dont have time to read what they wrote but will give advice based on nothing?

Please, answer these questions to me. Dont hide behing that "red button" you pressed,be an adult please.

I really find your behavior dangerous for people you advise. 

I wonder what people like @Altostrata would think about this way of moderating that you present.

• Administrator

getofflex is very conscientious and does not randomly click on links. Please be aware our moderators have a difficult job and treat them with respect, @SvenZagreb

On 11/8/2021 at 3:30 AM, SvenZagreb said:

And it went on all the way until recently. Each weekend full of cocaine and alcohol. And adding in benzos at the end of party night to ease my cocaine crashes here and then.

On 11/8/2021 at 3:30 AM, SvenZagreb said:

It was probably some form of PAWS after stopping taking cocaine and alcohol every few days. But it didnt realise that at a time. 

What we see here is that when people have a history of going on and off drugs, their nervous systems can become sensitized to all psychotropics. Among our members, these are usually psychiatric drugs but in your case, Sven, they are Zoloft, diazepam, cocaine, alcohol, and maybe miscellaneous at times.

Quite often, when people have a history of heavy use of recreational drugs and alcohol, they end up getting antidepressants and other psychiatric drugs to treat the neurobiological consequences, such as depersonalization, apathy, and emotional blunting, of taking lots of psychotropics. You have probably done this and now Zoloft and diazepam are added to your history.

We have seen repeatedly that when someone has this neurobiologjcal vulnerability from going on and off psychotropics repeatedly, other drugs, in particular alcohol and stimulants such as cocaine, can cause iatrogenic symptoms to resurface, perpetuating the neurobiological chaos.

Given your many years of heavy use of cocaine, alcohol, etc., which we cannot address here, my guess is most likely the symptoms you are suffering are from many years of intermittent heavy use as well as going on and off psychotropic drugs. Our understanding of reinstatement does not extend to treating this. 

If you want to get out of the spiral of psychotropics you are in, I would pursue non-drug therapies to manage your anger, irritabilty, and conflict with your girlfriend, as well as living a healthy lifestyle without alcohol, cocaine, etc. 

On the other hand, if you really want to pursue a drug remedy, as has been your habit, please talk to your doctor. Treating the consequences of long-term intermittent psychotropic binges, use, and discontinuation is beyond the peer support we can offer here. We wish you the best in whatever path you pursue.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

10 hours ago, Altostrata said:

getofflex is very conscientious and does not randomly click on links. Please be aware our moderators have a difficult job and treat them with respect, @SvenZagreb

What we see here is that when people have a history of going on and off drugs, their nervous systems can become sensitized to all psychotropics. Among our members, these are usually psychiatric drugs but in your case, Sven, they are Zoloft, diazepam, cocaine, alcohol, and maybe miscellaneous at times.

Quite often, when people have a history of heavy use of recreational drugs and alcohol, they end up getting antidepressants and other psychiatric drugs to treat the neurobiological consequences, such as depersonalization, apathy, and emotional blunting, of taking lots of psychotropics. You have probably done this and now Zoloft and diazepam are added to your history.

We have seen repeatedly that when someone has this neurobiologjcal vulnerability from going on and off psychotropics repeatedly, other drugs, in particular alcohol and stimulants such as cocaine, can cause iatrogenic symptoms to resurface, perpetuating the neurobiological chaos.

Given your many years of heavy use of cocaine, alcohol, etc., which we cannot address here, my guess is most likely the symptoms you are suffering are from many years of intermittent heavy use as well as going on and off psychotropic drugs. Our understanding of reinstatement does not extend to treating this. 

If you want to get out of the spiral of psychotropics you are in, I would pursue non-drug therapies to manage your anger, irritabilty, and conflict with your girlfriend, as well as living a healthy lifestyle without alcohol, cocaine, etc. 

On the other hand, if you really want to pursue a drug remedy, as has been your habit, please talk to your doctor. Treating the consequences of long-term intermittent psychotropic binges, use, and discontinuation is beyond the peer support we can offer here. We wish you the best in whatever path you pursue.

@Altostrata Thank yoh for patient answer and taking time to really read my topic. This is a proof it can be done.

Regarding @getofflex, I received some messages in my inbox agreeing on what I said about her by some member who have been here much longer then I am. I believe she is conscientious but I also believe that it is dangerous giving advices without reading peoples topics.

And I am sure others will agree here.

After reading what you wrote it is clear that you dont want me here. You quoted my symptoms of irritability to make it look like I am just irritable and thats why I got into an argue with @getofflex

And on the other hand you want me to stay away from this forum by saying I have cocaine problem and I should search for help elsewhere.

Even thou I read hundreds of stories here of people who had problems with drugs and alcohol here and they got help here. Because WD symptoms are the same and are treated in same way. But it seems like I am unwanted because I dared to question some holy moderators work. You wanted to make me look like some junkie who ended up here. But in truth you have loooots of people here with same problems and you help them and dont treat them like junkies but like someone who had psychotropic drug history. But it seems that you dont treat them the same. I dont have a right to get help and advices because I dared to touch into mods holiness...

Also you said i should use non drug techniques. Well thats why I came here at first place. And you see how you have different advice from @getofflex? You suggest using nom drug techniques because you read all my posts while she advised to go back on drugs. You know why she advised that? Because she never read my topic. Now you can see how dangerous can it be if she doesnt read posts. I rest my case regarding her.

I really feel bad now. I opened here and told all my problems which noone knows about and you used that to turn it against me. 

I hoped here is where I can find some help and understanding but I got this... 

Havent you maybe tought I started using drugs because my WD symptoms after taking zoloft didnt go away so I searched for relief in drugs?

• Moderator Emeritus

@SvenZagreb  Getofflex has already stopped posting in your thread. There's no need to continue arguing and tagging all of the staff. If you have specific questions, please post them. I would encourage you to re-read your thread first, as many questions have already been answered, especially your main question about reinstating. 

I've read your thread and I see you've posted you aren't interested in reinstating. I would work on non-drug coping techniques at this point. You'll find once you begin learning about mindfulness, techniques in handling anxiety, etc., you'll have the resources you need to get you through this. I would focus your time and energy on this. 

• Administrator
On 11/20/2021 at 4:38 PM, Altostrata said:

We can't fix this, @SvenZagreb, it's a consequence of your long history with psychotropics. Your problems are beyond our expertise. We've done the best we can. We cannot work miracles. Nobody is being discriminated against, especially you.

Sorry if you don't like the quality of service here. The Internet is a big place, you and your disgruntled correspondents are welcome to go elsewhere that's more congenial. Reddit might be a good choice.

There's no more to discuss in this topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Altostrata locked this topic
  • 10 months later...

Lithium orotate setback?

6 days ago i bought OTC Lithium Orotate 5mg in pharmacy.

For first 3 days I felt nothing. On day 4 I felt my mood slightly improved and my anxiety diminished a bit. Yesterday on day 5 i felt like background anxiety is building up because it was kept down for a day or two by that supplement. And then yesterday evening all hell broke lose and anxiety exploded. I never felt such thing,such strong anxiety. It is like standing on the edge of the cliff but multiple that with 1000. Chest pain,racing heart,like being stuck in a panic attack. For the first time in my wd I couldnt sleep and was on a verge of going to ER. Today is no better,some of the acute symptoms like irritability and total memory loss came back 

Is it possible I messed everything up? Is it possible that I am not even back to square one but back to square -5? 

I thought i was making some progress last couple of months with finally having waves and windows and it would be devastating to lose that all just because of one supplement that was at lowest possible dose.

Is it possible that I am back in acute and will have to start my journey all over again? 

Anyone had similar experience? 

Please,i am desperate,i need to know what to expect honestly

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic

• ChessieCat changed the title to SvenZagreb: Zoloft withdrawal please help
  • Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• ChessieCat unlocked this topic
  • Moderator Emeritus

@SvenZagreb

Please read this post again.  Thank you.

Edited by ChessieCat

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• ChessieCat locked and unlocked this topic
40 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

hi chessiecat,thx for the fast response. I have read that topic about lithium orotate before taking supplement and I never read anyone having problems like I did now. Thats why I tought its pretty much safe to take. 

Second link is about Lithium carbonate used to treat bipolar disorder. It is not the same as OTC supplement lithium orotate. 

I really dont think I will benefit from knowing how bipolar people taper their meds,I just want to know if anyone had same reaction as me to orotate supplement and if one can be thrown back to square one by taking such a thing.

Thank you very much. 

• Moderator Emeritus

All I know about lithium is what I read here on SA and I don't understand the difference.  And of course I did not know if you had seen the topics so I provided the links.

If you look around the site in the Symptoms and Self Care forum you will see that SA members report having unexpected bad reactions to various things.  Some members have a bad reaction to taking magnesium.  Some have issues with different foods.  Some members' WD symptoms increase if they do too much exercise, or if the weather is hot, take an antibiotic.  We need to be aware that even the simplest of things might cause an issue because our nervous system is still recovering.

SA recommends when trying anything new to only start with a small dose and to only try one thing at a time and not to take something in a complex, but rather as a single supplement.  I'm just pointing this out as general information; not saying that you took a complex.  But if there was more than one variable (ie you tried 2 different things at about the same time) then it is difficult to know what caused the issues.  This happened to me when I started magnesium and omega 3 at the same time; I got achy but didn't know the cause so had to stop both, wait for a while and then reintroduce them one at a time.

It would appear that you know that your reaction was to the lithium orotate; it can be frustrating and stressful when you get a reaction but cannot pin point the cause.  When you know what it is then it is less stressful because you have an answer.  I'm assuming that you have now stopped taking it.  You don't mention what dose you took; ie did you start with a small amount or just take the dose suggested on the bottle.  If you started with the recommended dosage or more than that, then that was not a sensible thing to do.

One thing that I have learned since being here at SA is to be cautious about everything, do our own research and we each have to find what works for us.

I'm assuming that just like other members who have had a bad reaction to something, regardless of what they took, that generally, given time and not trying to fix things by taking another supplement/drug, that the bad effect will gradually resolve.  And obviously there is no way to know how long it will take.

If you are consuming alcohol then you might consider stopping that for the time to allow your body to focus on recovering from the lithium orotate issue.

Thx for all the explanation. I bought smallest dose tablets of 5mg and i even cut that in half. And for the first 3 days i didnt feel anything. Only when it built up in my system i started to feel the effect.

Oh, i havent had a drink for more than a year. 

I hope that i am not at square one. I couldnt do it all over again...

• Moderator Emeritus

Please update your drug signature to included the lithium oratate, dates and doses:

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

1 minute ago, ChessieCat said:

Please update your drug signature to included the lithium oratate, dates and doses:

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Ok,but its not a drug. Its a OTC supplement like omega 3 or magnesium. Do ppl rly put omega 3 in their signatures?

• Moderator Emeritus

Ok,but its not a drug. Its a OTC supplement like omega 3 or magnesium. Do ppl rly put omega 3 in their signatures?

If you're asking for feedback on supplements, than please add it to your signature. This keeps the staff from having to read through your posts when you're asking for feedback on something you're taking, be it a drug or a supplement. 

Is there anyone here who can answer me this question.

Does ssri work the same as lithium?

Lithium increases production of the serotonin in the brain and decreases number of serotonin receptors. 

Does ssri work the same?

• Moderator Emeritus

SA is a site for tapering prescription psychiatric drugs.  You are wanting to discuss a supplement, lithium oratate, which you took (possibly at a much higher dose than we would have suggested), you had a bad reaction (which sometimes happens especially if your nervous system has been sensitised after taking/going off psychiatric drug/s), and you stopped taking it when you realised it was the supplement causing the issues which is the sensible thing to do.  I suggest that you do your own research on the internet to see if you can find more information about this supplement and what you want to know about it. 

The unpaid SA peer staff are extremely busy with many members needing help with getting off their psychiatric drug/s and will not be discussing lithium oratate and comparing it with SSRIs with you any more.

From your comment it sounds like you believe the chemical imbalance theory.  This was only a theory and was debunked at least 20 years ago.  Only recently there has been a lot in the media about the chemical imbalance and how it was never proven.

See:

Again, chemical imbalance is a myth. Stop the lies, please.

and there are topics that have been posted in this forum with the recent media releases:

in-the-media

Edited by ChessieCat

All I wanted to know is did I just do the same thing like i took ssri again when i took lithium. This forum is full of topics regarding symptoms and not just regarding the process of getting of drugs but i see again that i might not be welcome here anymore. I reached out for hep as i fel worst then ever and am desperate for help. Sry for doing that. Maybe i should suffer now because its what i deserve.

Thx...a

• Moderator Emeritus

Lithium and SSRIs are two different classes of drugs with different mechanisms of actions. 

If you have a setback from taking lithium orotate after 4 days, you can stop taking it. 

The only supplements which SA recommends are Magnesium and Omega-3 Fish Oil

• Administrator

@SvenZagreb please use common sense. We've told you not to experiment with drugs. If you have decided to experiment with supplements or other drugs, this is not the right place to ask about whether that was a good idea. Please join a different community to discuss whatever drugs you wish to take.