Lilmizz21: Introduction - Advice needed

Lilmizz21

Hi, I had severe adverse reaction to lexapro. Within 12 hours I was vommitting, shaking all over my body, brain burning and my mental state was like a maniac.

I came off and 4 days was ok. Then it all happened again.

Out of desperation, and please dont judge as I never had knowledge of these websites or groups.

I took Amitriptyline 10mg for 3 weeks and then 5mg for one week then 0mg. I came off as it was giving me intrusive thoughts. 

I am now 6 weeks off everything and first month was severe with SI, shaking, sweating, severe muscle tightening and just the complusion to not want to be here. 

Now for 2 weeks I have developed almost severe OCD. I cant watch tv or do nothing. Even a word can trigger me. If I see something I obsess I have it and obsess about not acting like I have it. (I know it sounds mad). Or I'll see someone do something and think I'm gonna end up doing that forever. I am losing my mind.

Please tell me is this withdrawl? And will this pass? Has anyone had similar?

Edited by ChessieCat
resized font

Lexapro 10mg - 30th august 2021 - Adverse reaction

Amitriptyline - 10mg - 7th September - 30th sep 4 weeks

Amitriptyline 5mg -28th sep - 5th oct 

0mg ever since the 5th oct

12th oct - 1 amoxcillin and 2

metronidazole

Makes it 5 weeks 0mg so far

• ChessieCat changed the title to Lilmizz21: Introduction - Advice needed

Welcome @Lilmizz21

I am sorry you are going through this and are suffering, but relieved you have found us.  This forum is run by others like you who have been through and survived, or are surviving, the negative effects of psychiatric drugs. Hang in there.

These links might help you understand what is going on:

Adverse reactions to an antidepressant within a few doses -- how long for recovery?

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

Akathisia vs restlessness, anxiety, agitation

tremors, shaking, body vibration, internal trembling

Your symptoms do sound like an adverse reaction, not withdrawal. Lexapro, like other psychiatric drugs, is a psychoactive substance and can cause some of us to "go mad" when we take them. But you are not mad. You are reacting to a psychoactive substance that has shocked your brain, and now it needs to heal.

Did you feel worse after quitting Amitryptaline? How is your sleep?

To help us better advise you, can you please create a signature with all of the drugs that you are taking and have been taking in the last couple of years following these instructions. Make it clear when you started and quit lexapro and when you started and quit Amitriptyline:

How to List Drug History in Signature

Aside from a high quality fish oil and magnesium, be careful with supplements. Your central nervous system (CNS) has become sensitized from psychiatric drug use and can react unpredictably. Important topics about tests, supplements, treatments, diet Alcohol, caffeine, nicotine and other mind altering substances can make the condition worse.

Here is our symptoms and self care section, you may find some useful ideas to help manage symptoms as you recover. 

Important topics about symptoms

In the meantime, take care of yourself, and take heart.  We in this forum have been through this, and we understand first hand the pain and discomfort you are going through. Please know that the brain is amazing in it's healing abilities. It takes time, but healing can and will happen. 

Please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.

These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I have learned, not medical advice.

Drug history

2002-2019 Citalopram/Escitalopram, Lamictal
2019 April Escitalopram, quit at 10mg (withdrawal), Oct Escitalopram 10mg reinstated, quit after a few days (adverse reaction)

2019 Oct Lamictal cut from 200mg to 100mg
2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

2020 Aug-Nov Lamictal tapered to 50 mg

2020 Nov 24 Lithium taper started, 30 Jan off Lithium

2021 15. March-31. May Lamictal tapered to 32.5 mg (holding)

2022 10. Jan started taking 25mg+5mg+2mg+0.5 liquid, 22. Jan went back to taking 25mg+5mg+half 5mg

Hi,

When I took amtriyline it calmed me down but it was suppressing as it is a sedative. It also gave me side effects such as intrusive thoughts. So I came off quite quickly. 

Since coming off my life has been like severe withdrawls. SI, complusions, head pressures, shaking, almost like my head is in a vice, intrusive thoughts, vision floaties, face burning.

Sometimes I wonder what has caused all this. But the OCD is definitely since coming of amtriyline in "withdrawl".

I'm just so confused by it. But the OCD is the thing I'm worried about the most. 

Will this pass? Thank you for your response

metronidazole

Was lexapro the first psychiatric drug you ever took?

Please add the date of your first dose at 5mg and last dose of 5mg Amitryptaline to your signature.

Did you have all these symptoms also while taking Amitryptaline or they came when you quit? (SI, complusions, head pressures, shaking, almost like head is in a vice, intrusive thoughts, vision floaties, face burning)

Did you notice a difference from taking 10 mg Amitryptaline versus 5mg?

Did you notice a difference from taking 5 mg Amitryptaline versus 0 mg?

This will pass, but it can take time. For now we need to determine what is an adverse reaction from lexapro and what is withdrawal from Amitryptaline. Sometimes a very small dose of the drug causing withdrawal should be reinstated. But we need more information to know what to advise on this. In the meantime, don't take other medications or supplements as it can make things worse and make it harder to know what to do.

These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I have learned, not medical advice.

Drug history

2019 April Escitalopram, quit at 10mg (withdrawal), Oct Escitalopram 10mg reinstated, quit after a few days (adverse reaction)

2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

2022 10. Jan started taking 25mg+5mg+2mg+0.5 liquid, 22. Jan went back to taking 25mg+5mg+half 5mg

The whole time whilst taking amtriyline I could feel that inner anxiousness, I wasnt myself. I always felt like that anxiety was going to come up like it did with the adverse reaction. But the amtriyline almost calmed that from happening but I knew it was there because it's a sedative. The amtriyline gave me intrusive thoughts but not sure if that could have been from delay from adverse reaction. I also still had times were it felt my brain was crushing with SI on the amtriyline.

I didnt notice any difference from moving dosage of the amtriyline. I came off as the intrusive thoughts scared me.

And apologises I have updated the signature and it seems I took the AMT longer than I thought, 4 weeks and I'm a week less in withdrawl than I thought, 5 weeks.

But no the withdrawl has been severe ever since quitting. The OCD I never had on ethier. This developed week 2 of withdrawl. And the other symptoms all came in withdrawl as well. 

So lexapro - brain burning, restlessness, seizure type shaking, complete overwhelming fear, racing thoughts.

AMT - That feeling of the lexapro wanting to happen but sedated me slightly. Then intrusive thoughts began. And still had SI with head swelling.

Off all meds - SI, complusions, shaking, intrusive thoughts, depression, anxiety, floaties in my vision, eye flickering.

Thanks so much for your response.

metronidazole

Oh sorry I also wanted to add that I had no knowledge of anti botics causing issues. Had severe tooth infection and took two anti botics , amoxicillin and meterozine.

metronidazole

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi there Lilmizz21,

And yes, I think you are going to be okay.  When that time comes, is hard to say.

But I Only Took it For a Week from the Are We There Yet? How Long is Withdrawal Going to Take? topic in our Tapering Forum.

At least you know you are not alone anymore in your struggles.  That helps most of us, once we first find our way here.  And members helping members can be a beautiful thing too.

On the tooth and treatment of..........If you have a severe tooth infection.......well if it was me, I'd go with dental best practices to treat that.  I've had to do amoxicillin myself, while in WD, and also after suffering adverse reactions to many drugs, and have done just fine.

I'm not sure what the meterozine is, but you can, from here on out, rest assured that you can look up drugs before you take them.

I use drugs.com myself.  Right at the top you can plug in a individual drug to see more about it, including some of the side effects/adverse reactions.  I did take a look at the metronidazole and indeed, many side effects.  Are you still on it?  Or have you finished it?

Important for you to empower yourself now, with information.   And know that, yes, you too can and will recover.

So do not get too caught up in that you will not recover......ever, feeling.  That's about the worst thing you could do.

Do know, that you are somewhat sensitized now, and may be sensitive to any drugs.  I mean if I was you, I'd avoid AD's(antidepressants) now for sure.  I only wish I had way back when, when I began my own journey so to speak, on so many, and then finally off again.

I think you'll recover.  Sooner rather than later.

A couple of links to what you may find helpful on:

Withdrawal causing repetitive or intrusive thoughts, rumination, and increased panic?

Obsessive compulsive disorder or OCD: repetative thoughts, compulsive behaviors

*do read through the first post of ^, for sure

And know that thoughts are just thoughts, they come and go.  Not harmful in themselves.  Annoying- yes.  Frustrating- also yes.  Scary if this has just happened for the first time with the drugs, or since the drugs- yes.

But fear not-  Try to use non-drug coping all you can now.

See our Symptoms and Self Care Forum for ideas

Neuroemotions can be fierce.

And I'd also suggest going down the list in this topic there:  Non drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms and trying a few options, be it meditation, or taking more outdoor time, trying to engage in activities outside of your head......so much to choose from.

Here is one you can look at and try now:

Dealing With Emotional Spirals

And welcome, welcome aboard.  To the club none of us ever really wanted to join.

This is your introduction/journal page where you have now introduced yourself to the community, you can ask questions here regarding your case, give updates, keep a record of your journey, and communicate with us and other members here as well.

Best, Love, Peace, Healing, and Growth,
manymoretodays(mmt)

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Thank you so much for such a lovely response. 

Can I ask since I am 5 weeks in. Do you think I will regret not reinstating? 

Or because I I took for such short amount of time. Worth the risk of carrying on like this? 

metronidazole

@manymoretodays @Kiasofia would you reinstate if you was me?

The side effects of tryclic was intrusive thoughts and wasnt myself still with anxiety in my tummy but suppressed it.

I am just not functional at all. 

metronidazole

• Mentor

@Lilmizz21Hi, I just wanted to welcome you to SA.  I am sorry that you are going through this.   

You have been given a lot of good advice.  I really found the thread on the Symptoms & Self Care about OCD, obsessing, intrusive thoughts, unexplained fear and many more weird symptoms very reassuring to see that other people are experiencing the same things.  I know this can be really overwhelming and scary but you will be okay.  

Like manymoretoday said empower and educate yourself.  Try not to panic/get over whelmed with all the information, Take it slow, read, learn, take care of yourself and know that you are not alone.  This is happening all over the world and you found the biggest life raft around.❤️

We are all here for you❤️

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/24894-greatful-is-this-withdrawal-or-to-many-med-changes-at-once/

1995? Prozac,  tried several Paxil, Serzone, St John's Wart back to Prozac and Trazodone ct:d Traz

Lexapro. Tried to stop Crash in 2015  Kindled   Hospitalized, Vybrid, Seroquel, Effexor, Abilify  Pristiq, Wellbutrin-- 2016  ended back on   Prozac and Lamictal 200mg

5/2020  thru 12/2020 taper from 20mg  Prozac  down to 3mg.  Crashed  12/13/2020 Zoloft 50mg 1/29ct  1/29/2021 Seroquel 50mg ct  2/12/2021 Wellbutrin 75mg.  Became hypo manic 2/1  6ct Trazodone 50mg 4/25  25mg 2/5/ 2021 Lamictal 150mg.  2/24  100mg   4/9  75mg   4/21 37.5 

2/16/2021 Seroquel 50xr  3/3 100mg  3/17  150mg  side effects ct   4/3 2021 Lexapro 5mg  4/14  7.5mg  4/30 10mg  5/10  7.5mg 

2021/ 5/16  5mg Lexapro   37.5 Lamictal   25mg trazadone,   xanax  .0625mg  3x a day   

Lexapro  Taper> Sept/01/2021  4.90mg>  Sept/25  4.75mg>   Oct/19 4.69mg > Nov/14 4.2mg    Jan/30/2022-- Split dosing 2x a day All liquid  4.2mg  (2.20mg at 8am & 2mg at 4pm) 2/17 4mg>  2/24  3.8mg  slow taper to  Aug/12/2022 2.04mg  2023> 2mg,  1.90mg, 1.80mg, 1.70mg, 1.5mg, 1.4mg, 1.3mg 1.2mg, 1.1mg, 1mg, 0.9mg, 0.8mg, 0.7mg 0.65mg, 0.6mg, 0.55mg, 0.5mg, 0.45mg, 0.4mg, 0.35mg, 0.3mg, 0.25,mg, back to once a day dosing 0 .1mg, 0.07mg , 0.05mg 4/1/2024   0

Lamictal  taper  4/17/ 2022 25mg, 9/9/ 22 -20mg, 9/25/22- 15mg , 10/20/22-   0

Trazodone..2023.>down to 14mg, 7mg, 6mg  July 2023   0

Xanax  0.0625 3 x a day,  2023>  0.042 3x a day

Supplements  Magnesium glycinate, Omega 3, D3, vitamin c , zinc, NAC 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lilmizz21,

Any improvement at all since the 5th of October?  Any windows that you can appreciate?

21 hours ago, Lilmizz21 said:

The whole time whilst taking amtriyline I could feel that inner anxiousness, I wasnt myself. I always felt like that anxiety was going to come up like it did with the adverse reaction. But the amtriyline almost calmed that from happening but I knew it was there because it's a sedative. The amtriyline gave me intrusive thoughts but not sure if that could have been from delay from adverse reaction. I also still had times were it felt my brain was crushing with SI on the amtriyline.

I didnt notice any difference from moving dosage of the amtriyline. I came off as the intrusive thoughts scared me.

Here's the topic on reinstatements:  About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal syndrome

And more about amitriptyline, which may be helpful in getting the small, small doses needed for reinstatement:

Tips for tapering off amitriptyline

22 hours ago, Kiasofia said:

For now we need to determine what is an adverse reaction from lexapro and what is withdrawal from Amitryptaline. Sometimes a very small dose of the drug causing withdrawal should be reinstated. But we need more information to know what to advise on this. In the meantime, don't take other medications or supplements as it can make things worse and make it harder to know what to do.

I agree with Kiasofia above too, that it is difficult to tell which is recovery from your adverse effect from Lexapro, and then what is WD from the Amitriptyline.  And you do seem to be very sensitized to the drugs.  Amitriptyline is an AD, just a bit different from Lexapro.

Let me see what Kia thinks, and/or other staff, or if they have other questions for you too.

Me, I don't think that I would reinstate if I was you.  Just based on that you have had very little positive effect from either drug, if any, and that your total usage time was not very long.....although long enough to establish dependency.  And that you seem so very, very sensitive to the drugs.......I'm just not sure you'd see any benefit from reinstating.  Other opinions may vary though.

Thanks, L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
in purple, at end

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Administrator

Hello, @Lilmizz21

On 11/8/2021 at 11:01 AM, Lilmizz21 said:

Do you mean you stopped taking Lexapro and then you tried it again?

How did you feel when you were taking 5mg amitriptyline? 

Pretty clear that you probably should not take an SSRI such as Lexapro again.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

@AltostrataI didnt take lexapro again. That nearly killed me. 

Amtricyline gave me intrusive thoughts both on 10mg and 5mg. 

@manymoretodays I havent had any windows without obsessional or racing thoughts, I feel like I'm gonna be stuck like this. And I've got tinnitus now. It's never ending. I just dont know what to do :( I cant see the racing thoughts and obsessional thoughts ever going away.

metronidazole

@Altostrata @manymoretodaysI am getting so scared.

I am - shaking, compulsions, impulses, racing thoughts, depression, tinnitus, eye flickering, obsessions with concentrating on my body (mad I know I was never like this),  head pressures.

I am so scared. Is this normal? 

metronidazole

• Mentor

@Lilmizz21  Yes these all can happen in WD.  I know it is hard to believe but it does slowly go away.  The brain is trying to figure things out.

Did you get a chance to read any of the thread to see that other people have gone through.  They give out some good advice for coping skill.

The biggest one is try not to panic, as scary as this is it will not hurt you.

I really feel for you, I am going through similar things that morph and settle down and morph up again. 

Here is a story to help you understand what the brain it trying to do and why it is not working right.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/10914-what-is-happening-in-your-brain/ 

Hang in there❤️

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/24894-greatful-is-this-withdrawal-or-to-many-med-changes-at-once/

1995? Prozac,  tried several Paxil, Serzone, St John's Wart back to Prozac and Trazodone ct:d Traz

Lexapro. Tried to stop Crash in 2015  Kindled   Hospitalized, Vybrid, Seroquel, Effexor, Abilify  Pristiq, Wellbutrin-- 2016  ended back on   Prozac and Lamictal 200mg

5/2020  thru 12/2020 taper from 20mg  Prozac  down to 3mg.  Crashed  12/13/2020 Zoloft 50mg 1/29ct  1/29/2021 Seroquel 50mg ct  2/12/2021 Wellbutrin 75mg.  Became hypo manic 2/1  6ct Trazodone 50mg 4/25  25mg 2/5/ 2021 Lamictal 150mg.  2/24  100mg   4/9  75mg   4/21 37.5 

2/16/2021 Seroquel 50xr  3/3 100mg  3/17  150mg  side effects ct   4/3 2021 Lexapro 5mg  4/14  7.5mg  4/30 10mg  5/10  7.5mg 

2021/ 5/16  5mg Lexapro   37.5 Lamictal   25mg trazadone,   xanax  .0625mg  3x a day   

Lexapro  Taper> Sept/01/2021  4.90mg>  Sept/25  4.75mg>   Oct/19 4.69mg > Nov/14 4.2mg    Jan/30/2022-- Split dosing 2x a day All liquid  4.2mg  (2.20mg at 8am & 2mg at 4pm) 2/17 4mg>  2/24  3.8mg  slow taper to  Aug/12/2022 2.04mg  2023> 2mg,  1.90mg, 1.80mg, 1.70mg, 1.5mg, 1.4mg, 1.3mg 1.2mg, 1.1mg, 1mg, 0.9mg, 0.8mg, 0.7mg 0.65mg, 0.6mg, 0.55mg, 0.5mg, 0.45mg, 0.4mg, 0.35mg, 0.3mg, 0.25,mg, back to once a day dosing 0 .1mg, 0.07mg , 0.05mg 4/1/2024   0

@Greatfulthank you so much for your comfort.

You dont think I have akathsia do you?

metronidazole

• Mentor

@Lilmizz21  I wish I had some answers for you.  Just remember that we all heal from this.  I at one time had fears that the wind and birds might start talking to me.  I had a unexplainable fear of something, I would look around to see what in the world I was suppose to be afraid of.  The drugs are chemicals and they affect us in changing our normal homeostasis in our body and brains and then we shock it even more by trying to change it again.  

Are you able to distract yourself at all, do you have any coping skills?  If there is one thing I can say is do not believe the crazy thoughts that come into your mind.  Most of the time there is very little  truth to them if any and are way morphed out of proportion.  Thoughts are just that thoughts and they can't hurt you.  Can you do some mindfulness, acknowledge the though and redirect yourself to something else, your breath(like in meditation), what ever you may be working on, a picture, touch you something,  and if you can you can go one step farther and describe it to yourself in as much detail as you can, the color, size, how it feel, this will stop the thought spiral and the dialog with the thought. 

If you do have it, all of this heals.   Here are some symptoms I got read from a book.

The Antidepressant Solution by  Joseph Glenmullen M.D.   A quick outline of akathisia

Akathesia has 2 sides or faces, outer “adjective restlessness” and inner, “subjective agitation”

The outer visible restlessness is caused by akathisia particularly and affects the legs and can be mild, moderate or severe.  In mild cases , patients find it difficult to sit or stand comfortably. They may adjust their posture frequently, shift their weight from one foot to the other while standing, or crossing  and uncrossing  their leg while sitting.  In moderate cases patients are more visibly jittery and fidgety, Tapping their feet on the floor or pacing.  In severe cases, patients are visibly agitated, find it difficult to sit still, and are driven to pace back and forth.

The inner “subjective agitation” of akathisia is, in fact, it's more dangerous side .

This drug induced state can include anxiety, tension, irritability, hostility, paranoia, rage reactions and violence.

“Akathisia has been described in medical journals as causing “object terror” in patients. Akathisia is unlike anything the patient has ever experienced before.  Patients report: “ I feel like I am going to explode, like the molecules inside my body are all sped up, bursting against my skin”  “ I feel like my bones are like tuning forks rattling in my body.”  I feel like I am living twenty four hours a day with the sensations of nails scratching up and down a black-board.” “ I feel like I have caffeine running in my veins.”  “ I feel like jumping out of my skin.”

Writing in medical journals, experts describe akathisia as “more difficult to endure than any of the symptoms for which they (patients) had been originally treated.”  

The abnormal body sensation and anxiety make it difficult for patients to think clearly, leaving them feelings of confusion and unreality.  Indeed, as part of akathisia patients may experience  depersonalization, an” out- of -body- experience” in which they feel outside themselves, observing themselves, horrified by their suicidal or violent behavior, but unable to stop themselves.  Experts refer to the effects of akathisia as a form of “behavior toxicity” of antidepressants. 

Have you tried tapping for anxiety and distraction?  Here is a quick demonstration on how  

https://youtu.be/pAclBdj20ZU

• Moderator Emeritus

Sweetie, try, try to change the channel

Perhaps get off the internet.  Or even off site for a little bit of time.

If you stay around here, go to Off Topic, to read poems or see what songs members are posting.  Write a poem. 

Or listen to calming affirmations.

Try the first two short videos in the reassurance room, here.

Grab something for dinner, I think it must be dinner or tea time there.

If you have not yet, brush your teeth, wash your face, change into a fresh outfit.

Sure, could be some very high anxiety......like I said before though, do not go to worst case ever.

Do you have time to walk around for 5 minutes outside before dark? 

Let me know when you get that minute, or 5 minutes of calm.  Embrace it.

Are you sleeping a little most nights?

And best, L, P, H, and G,  there, there.......you too, will make it to see better days.....💜

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

@manymoretodays fortunately I do sleep. It's the only relief I seem to get. Thank you Im just losing my son, home and everything :( sorry it's just so many symptoms to take on at once. 

Thank you always for your reassurance

metronidazole

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh yah, I love tapping too @Greatful

Here's our topic: EFT(Emotional Freedom Techniques)

And breathe.......in for 4 seconds, gently hold for 7, and out for 8..........do 4 rounds.  Try it with in one nostril, and then out the other.

Just breathe.............and ahhhhh

• Moderator Emeritus
7 minutes ago, Lilmizz21 said:

Thank you Im just losing my son, home and everything :( sorry it's just so many symptoms to take on at once. 

Ooooh, there, there......there, there.......(singing a lullabye.......or a nice little song to you now).

• Administrator
On 11/8/2021 at 11:01 AM, Lilmizz21 said:

What occurred just before "theen it all happened again"? Is that when you took an antibiotic?

Did 5mg amitriptyline affect any other of your symptoms?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

@Altostrata When I took the amtriyline for 4 days I was completely normal. Then intrusive thoughts occured and that underlying anxiety could be felt simmering.

This stayed this way on 10mg and 5mg 

metronidazole

@Altostrata I have a funny feeling the adverse reaction symptoms was lingering and the amtricyline calmed me down as natural sedative but I knew something underlying wasnt right if that makes sense. 

So I think I have adverse reaction lingering plus withdrawl from amtricyline.

metronidazole

• Administrator

You do mean amitriptyline, the antidepressant?

If you felt the amitriptyline calmed you down, how about taking a smaller amount, such as 1mg or 2.5mg? If you have withdrawal from amitriptyline, that probably would reduce it.

@Altostrata I am seriously considering it. It is actually dangerous what is happening to me symptom wise. Like I'm turning psychotic and I dont know how much longer I can do this alone in a country by myself. 

Although I am scared I could make things worse. 

6 weeks 0mg

metronidazole

• Moderator Emeritus
On 11/11/2021 at 12:48 PM, manymoretodays said:

Here's the topic on reinstatements:  About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal syndrome

And more about amitriptyline, which may be helpful in getting the small, small doses needed for reinstatement:

Tips for tapering off amitriptyline

Hey Lilmizz,

Do you have left over amitriptyline then that is not past it's expiry date?

I am assuming you might have some 10 mg tablets.

Do use the tapering link, specific to amitriptyline to plan your reinstatement.  That's why I quoted that above again.  You'll see more about getting the small doses needed.

So.......... ponder the various methods, study them.  Do you have pen and paper?  Jot things down.  That always helps me bring my thinking into a more orderly direction.

You have several options to choose from to get a reinstatement started.

Notes are really valuable.  And should most definitely be done if you start a reinstatement.   What we would need to see is what  symptoms you note before and after you take your dose.

On 9/27/2016 at 12:49 PM, Altostrata said:

Keep notes on paper about your daily symptom pattern and drug dosing

Are your symptoms worse at any particular times of day? A symptom pattern that occurs regularly over several days could mean the symptoms are from withdrawal, other adverse effects of drugs, or something else you do on a daily schedule.

In the course of discussion in your Introductions forum topic, you may be asked to keep notes on paper of your daily symptom pattern, including when you take your drugs, their dosages, and any symptoms. We ask this because there may be something we can do to reduce the symptoms.

What we need to see for every single day over several days is what symptoms you get before and after you take your drugs. If you're not taking any drugs and have withdrawal symptoms, we still need to see your symptom pattern throughout the day:

The time of day, dosage, and severity of symptoms are essential information. Include

- Time and dosage for all drugs taken throughout the day, psychiatric and non-psychiatric.

- Following each dose, note any symptoms. If you are having a reaction to the drug, it may take hours for a symptom to show up -- that's why we ask you to keep notes all day long.

- If you're not taking any drugs, your symptoms throughout the day.

- Your sleep pattern. Since so many drugs disturb sleep, if you find you're waking in the middle of the night, it could be from a drug you took earlier in the evening. If you're not taking any drugs, there may be ways you can improve your sleep.

And so forth. A diary, in chronological order, looking something like this:

Example:

DATE:

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep

An appointments diary is perfect for this and can be bought at stationery stores. They have a page for each day with times for appointments which can be filled in with doses, symptoms etc as shown above. Or, you can copy and paste from a cell phone app -- but make sure the result is easily readable.

Please do not use spreadsheets, they are difficult to read online and some of us don't have Microsoft Excel to look at them.  You may link to a Google Doc or spreadsheet if you wish.

Then try and report back in the format shown in the quote above.

Is there absolutely no one local to help you and check in on you from time to time? 

Whens the last time you talked to someone locally?

What do you mean by "you are turning psychotic" ?  Be specific with your symptom description, not generalized.  Psychotic can mean many things.  Break it down into what you are feeling.  And what you are doing.

If you are in any eminent danger, of course I trust that you could call for immediate help and assistance.

Can you self manage symptoms for an hour at a time?  And eat enough?  Get enough fluids?

You are strong Lilmizz.  You got this.  You'll get through. 

Best, L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
white space removal

@manymoretodays I do have amtriyline 10mg.

I dont know what to do. I'm losing everything because no one believes me and I have no support as everyone doesnt believe me.

I am very scared and alone. 

The amtriyline I still didnt feel right on it. I'm not sure if it's the adverse reaction in the background. And I did feel suicidal but only when my skull would crush into my brain which happened mostly at night time and I would get intrusive thoughts.

But what I'm going through now is just awful 24.7. Psychotic as in i think my brains itching, I am told to concentrate on my blinking, saliva everything in my body and I feel like I'm going nuts. 

metronidazole

Did you start Amitriptyline again? Alto suggested if you try, then only 1mg or 2.5mg. Do not take 10 mg. What does your doctor say about what is happening? Are you getting any follow up? Did a doctor tell you to take 10mg lexapro as a starting dose? I also got a bad reaction from 10 mg lexapro. It is frightening. Even if no one around you believes or supports you, this forum is full of people who do❤️

Drug history

2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

@Kiasofiawhat kind of adverse reaction did you have if you dont mind me asking? 

I havent reinstated. I'm too scared. I'm starting to think it's all in my head now which is scaring me even more. 

I was never this person before taking the lexapro. Never. 

metronidazole

@Kiasofia apologises. As for the doctors they dont believe any of it. Just want me on more meds. 

When I took lexapro I experienced what I would image is akathasia. 

Brain burning, legs shaking, restlessness, had to keep walking, inner torture, skull pressing into my brain, severe SI. 

Then amtriyline was instated and it calmed me. But intrusive thoughts came and that brain burning and skull pressing my brain still happened.

Now I'm 6 weeks off, I now have obsessions, SI, depression, anxiety, blackouts, floaters in my eye, impulses, tinnitus. 

I wonder if the lexapro caused me akathasia. And adding the amtriyline just made it worse or covered up what was happening.

metronidazole

My reaction was eventually diagnosed as akathisia. But first it was misdiagnosed as "agitated depression with psychosis". I couldn't sit still, had to get up and walk around, wanted to get out of my body, couldn't concentrate, couldn't read a sentence or watch TV, felt a desperate need to die, felt totally nuts. 10mg lexapro is a highly potent dose. It's the same as 20 mg Celexa/cipramil/citalopram. Absolutely no one should be advised to take that. Doctors are supposed to start people on a low dose and slowly go higher. I don't think anyone should get these drugs ever, but the higher the starting dose, the more chance of a terrible reaction. It's horrible that a doctor then doesn't believe it's a drug reaction.

This is worth considering.

18 hours ago, Altostrata said:

If you felt the amitriptyline calmed you down, how about taking a smaller amount, such as 1mg or 2.5mg? If you have withdrawal from amitriptyline, that probably would reduce it.

Drug history

2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

@Kiasofiathanks so much for replying. i think lexapro did that to me too. Can I ask is taking the amtriyline a mistake if I did have akathasia? 

Did you take another anti d after?

And long did it take you to recover?

Honestly thank you

metronidazole

21 minutes ago, Lilmizz21 said:

Can I ask is taking the amtriyline a mistake if I did have akathasia? 

The akathisia was probably caused by taking a ridiculously high dose of a psychoactive substance. There is concern when the brain has gone on and off drugs that it becomes sensitized (kindled) and reacts badly to more drugs. That's why the recommendation is to try with as low a dose as possible.

You can read my (long) intro story here.

It took a few weeks for the worst to pass but because I was being given ECT (not recommended!!!) I was getting high from it and felt "better" but wasn't really.

Edited by Kiasofia

Drug history

2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

@Kiasofia wow you have been through so much

It makes me feel like why am I such a bad state when you got through all that.

metronidazole

I hope my story can offer some comfort. You are in a truly horrible state that no human should have to experience, but it is temporary. One day it will be in the past❤️

Drug history

2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg