SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Saeen: Taper Off Zoloft / sertraline

Saeen

Hi all. 34 yr old female from the UK.

50mg - April to August 2019

100mg - August 2019 to present 

I've been reading as much as possible on the taper threads to get my head around things. 

I've decided to proceed with crushing my pills instead of home made liquid taper. From my understanding, liquid sertraline is not available in the UK.

I will be purchasing;

0.0001g precision scale -

[New Version] ORIA Mini Precision Scale, [50g 0.001g] Digital Pocket Scale with 50g Calibration Weight and Electrostatic Tweezers, Kitchen Scale with Tare & LCD Backlit Display (Battery Included) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08BZCJNVR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_R60JFKT9ENEBHPZE9790?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Pill grinder - 

Pill Mill Pill Crusher - Crushes Multiple Tablets to a Fine Powder - Metal Medicine Grinder - Tablet Pulverizer Perfect for Travel - Great for Feeding Tube use, Pets or easier Medicine intake for Kids https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075HZYT9G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_WPRPP5SX9B2D4SQ7PC4N?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Pill cutter - 

Pill Cutter Splitter by Pill Mill - Metal Blades That Will Never Dull - Grip Handle Helps to Cut Small or Large Pills with Ease - Light and Durable Tablet Divider - Perfect Medicine Slicer for Travel https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JCSJ2F3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_NS3ZGQRBB475XE5CC6BD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Mini Funnels and Empty Capsules.

I want to ask if the above mentioned products are suitable for what I am trying to do. Is there anything else that I will require? 

I need help to figure out the math side of things. Ideally, I want to taper 10% every 6 weeks, until I reach 20mg where I will reduce the percentage even more to anything between 2-5% reduction every 6 weeks.

Does the above sound feasible? I know everyone's nervous systems reacts differently, so I can always adjust accordingly. 

if anyone can help with getting the average weight of the pills and then calculating the 90% of 100mg etc etc I would be most thankful. 

I was never good with numbers 😝

Also as a side note, whilst tapering, I will also be microdosing and using psilocybin.

sertraline/Zoloft for Anxiety & Depression
50mg Sertraline - April 2019 till August 2019

100mg Sertraline - August 2019 till Present Day

Microdosing Psilocybin 100mg per every 3rd day

To treat anxiety and depression 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Saeen: Taper Off Zoloft / sertraline
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi there Saeen,

Welcome.

Your plan for tapering sertraline sounds sound.  And I like the idea of your decreasing the percentage of your taper at the lower dosages a lot.

Tapering the sertraline while beginning a psilocybin mushroom experiment though......I am uneasy about.

While I do like to meet members where they are at, we just don't know enough about micro-dosing mushrooms AND we would never condone starting a taper while adding on another psychoactive substance, which psilocybin definitely is.

Before you begin tapering what you need to know

Any addition of something like psilocybin micro-dosing could be very destabilizing, and so......not a good time to taper.

The rule of 3KI's: Keep it simple, slow, and stable

If you do have a change of heart or mind, and would like to just taper the sertraline at some point, that sounds great.

Anyway, wanted to get you started, and your first post approved today.  I did write a longer response, yet managed to lose it somehow to the internets......

Ah well.

So will leave a few more links now and leave it at that.  Your second post will also require moderator approval, as that is custom.  Thank you for doing a signature AND being honest as to your "aside".

Why taper by 10% of my dose?

Tips for tapering Zoloft(sertraline)

Using a scale to weigh and measure doses

Welcome again.

This is your introduction/journal page where you have now introduced yourself to the community, you can ask questions here regarding your case and tapering, give updates, keep a record of your journey, as well as communicate with staff and other members.

And best.  Love, peace, healing, and growth,

moderator manymoretodays (mmt)

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Moderator Emeritus

Saeen,

Just adding in, that I will have to get back to you on your more direct questions too.

I answered a few, then lost my first reply, and now must get offline.

Sorry about that.

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Moderator Emeritus

Okay, then on to some of your more direct questions on tapering sertraline and the method you'd like to use.  And apologies, I've had some posting difficulties and time crunches as well lately.

On 11/9/2021 at 4:51 PM, Saeen said:

0.0001g precision scale -

[New Version] ORIA Mini Precision Scale, [50g 0.001g] Digital Pocket Scale with 50g Calibration Weight and Electrostatic Tweezers, Kitchen Scale with Tare & LCD Backlit Display (Battery Included) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08BZCJNVR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_R60JFKT9ENEBHPZE9790?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Most here use the Gemini20 scale with readings to .001 g which does look similar to what you are considering.

Is that first 0.0001 g a typo or does it actually measure out beyond 0.001 g ?

Amazon does seem to be going up in price for the Gemini 20 scales, so your best bet would be to compare brands, and prices, and then purchase after that.

I trust that you did good check as to availability of the prescription liquid in the UK.  And have thoughtfully, and completely ruled out making your own sertraline liquid for tapering.

Pill grinder - 

Pill Mill Pill Crusher - Crushes Multiple Tablets to a Fine Powder - Metal Medicine Grinder - Tablet Pulverizer Perfect for Travel - Great for Feeding Tube use, Pets or easier Medicine intake for Kids https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075HZYT9G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_WPRPP5SX9B2D4SQ7PC4N?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Sounds good to me.

Pill cutter - 

Pill Cutter Splitter by Pill Mill - Metal Blades That Will Never Dull - Grip Handle Helps to Cut Small or Large Pills with Ease - Light and Durable Tablet Divider - Perfect Medicine Slicer for Travel https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JCSJ2F3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_NS3ZGQRBB475XE5CC6BD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Mini Funnels and Empty Capsules.

Again, sounds fine, and great that you are looking at all this before beginning.  I learned that the size of the capsules(vegetarian/gelatin capsules get larger with each additional O rating, so go with at least a 00, for ease of filling.  Many will just use a small piece of paper to transfer their weighed dose to, and then from there fold in to pour your crushed tablet material into.  So experiment a bit, before tapering to see what works best for you.

I need help to figure out the math side of things. Ideally, I want to taper 10% every 6 weeks, until I reach 20mg where I will reduce the percentage even more to anything between 2-5% reduction every 6 weeks.

Does the above sound feasible? I know everyone's nervous systems reacts differently, so I can always adjust accordingly. 

if anyone can help with getting the average weight of the pills and then calculating the 90% of 100mg etc etc I would be most thankful. 

Okay, starting with getting an average weight of your pills

Henceforth let's go with the average mgpw(mg of pill weight) for the mgai(mg of active ingredient, also know as dose strength)

To get an average weight of your pills/tablets.....you can put 10 pills on the scale, after you have carefully calibrated the scale, and while keeping it free from drafts or movement, get the readout.

Then divide what you get by 10, and that will give you the average weight of each 10 mgai tablet in the batch or bottle of sertraline that you are starting your taper from.

Then you will have the average mgpw(milligrams of pill weight) for each 100 mgai of sertraline to further calculate from.

If the pills are too large, you can weight 10 of them individually, write down each weight, then add up the 10 individual weights and divide by 10.

Good idea to re-average with each batch of pills you receive from the pharmacy.

mgai stands for the milligrams of ai, or dose strength of your tablet.

Simplistically to get 90% of 100 mg:

100 X .90= 90 mgai, this represents the dose of your first taper.

Then 90(mgai or dose strength) X .90= 81 mg, this represents your second taper dose, the 10% drop from 90 mg dose or 90mgai.

To do a 5% taper, you would multiply present dose by 0.95

To do a 2.5% taper you would multiply present dose by 0.975

So this then, tells you the dose in mgai, you wish to get to.

Do ask away if any of this is confusing.

Then....oh yes, there is more, you also need to know what the weight or mgpw will be for each dose measured or mgai.

Ultimately, you want to always know mgai and mgpw.

Then when you have the weight done, we need to calculate the AIC(or active ingredient concentration).

To do this you simply divide your pill weight average mgpw by the mgai.

e.g.     .001 on your scale would be 1 mg

(*also of note, is that weighing has not been found to be real accurate below 4 mg,  and so you might want to essentially do a cross over to liquid well prior to getting to that point, and do carefully cross over from solid to liquid when that time comes,

See:  Cross Over: Changing form(e.g. tablet to liquid form of drug) or changing brand of drug )

Do let us know if you do reconsider and wish to make a homemade suspension too.  Happy to try to guide.

Just file this information for now, it will be helpful when you actually have got an average pill weight done.  mgpw again.  B)

From the initial AIC then you'll be able to further calculate the crushed pill weight that you will need for any given mgai.

You do need to convert from g or grams to mg of weight too.

One gram, or g as your readout will show = 1000 mg (the formula for g to mg is to multiply the mass value by 1000)

Then you will have the average mgpw(milligrams of pill weight) for each 100 mgai of sertraline to further calculate from.

Do not be surprised if the weight of the pill in mg, is more than the dose strength or active ingredient.  This is due to fillers and such.

I hope I got to most of your more direct questions.  And definitely do your best with the links I provide in that first post too, to guide your sertraline taper, when you do get started or wish to become more prepared.

And as an aside-  just noticing another newbie here, who rapid tapered and is having good initial immediate effects from microdosing, but again that is completely out of my repertoire to be dealing with here right now.  I am always wary of immediate gains or effects too, until I have actually seen some long term positives from any of the alleged treatments for diagnoses, and or WD(withdrawal). 

My current aim here, is to guide in the most harm free tapers possible.  And offer support.

And I will just include in this now, rather lengthy post one more topic for your perusal:

Important topics about tests, supplements, treatments, and diet

I don't as a rule, recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that I would recommend trying are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system.  

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

And obviously, I'm not comfortable with the idea of,  microdosing of mushrooms, while tapering at this point.  I don't know anything about it, and worked hard to become drug/medication free myself after many many drug trials. 

I do hope you are doing well at this point, and might consider possibly just doing a nice harm reduction with your sertraline.

Best, Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
good to go....

• Administrator

Hello, @Saeen Sertraline is available as a liquid in the UK, see https://bnfc.nice.org.uk/drug/sertraline.html

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 year later...

Hello, did you try the mushrooms? I’m in a bad place and considering trying psilocybin.

Wish you well.

Lexy

Started Effexor August 2012 Sept'12-150mg=extreme anxiety Oct'12 cut half-75mg severe wds

Feb 2013 68.5mg. Mar'13- 65mg. Apr'13-59mg. May'13-57mg. June '13-52mg Aug'13 49.75mg.

Sep'13-48.75. Nov'13-47mg Dec'13-45..5mg

May 2014 42mg. Jun'14 40mg (depressive mood started). Aug'14 -40mg/ started brintellix 2.5mg

Oct '14 -39 Nov'14 36.89 Dec'14 34.45

Jan 2015- 31 Feb'15 29mg. Mar'15 26.72. Apr'15 24.48. May'15 22.31mg. Jun'15 20.30mg

Aug'15-18.89. Oct'15 16.96. Nov/16- 16.10. Dec/15- 15mg

Jan 2016-14.22. May'16 11.45. Aug'16-9.60. Sep/16- 8.88mg. Oct/16- 8.39mg. Nov/16- 8.13. Dec/16- 7.89

• Administrator

We have not seen psilocybin to reverse withdrawal syndrome. It may assist short-term with mood, that is all.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.