SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ MrAnxious: 3 months off Effexor XR (6 years on)

MrAnxious

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Mr A...

If you are planning on going up to 50mg, why don't you just go up now? If you have tolerated the 25mg, you will probably tolerate 50mg.

However....if you are starting to feel a little better, then i would probably stay where you are - you may not even need to go up to 50 - the recommended doses are fairly arbitrary - you will only have to go down again. And it does take a while for the full effect to be felt.

Hang in there, it is good that you are feeling a little better - it was never going to be a quick fix, so the fact that you are feeling even a little better is a good thing!!

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

Hey Peggy,

Thanks for the reply, only reason why I haven't went up quicker is because then I would run out of my prescription before the first check up from my doctor is, so that would be a no no. I will check though and see, it's like i can feel myself needing more , that extra push.. hard time getting out of bed right now.Not sure what that is all about, guessing it's the effexor w/d.

2007-2012started Effexor xr 225mg -150mg- Varied2months of Taper,(March 22/2012 Off Med/in W/D)Currently No medicationMarch 22/2012- August 16/2012 - Totally Off Effexor( Rough Rough time) Reinstatement for a week(didn't work)****** New Doctor******* Very nice/helpful and in touch.Tried Zoloft- No successAUGUST 17/2012- STARTED 37.5 EFFEXOR FOR ONE WEEK - NOT GOOD < STOPPED.Started Buspar Oct 11th 2012----10 mg for the first 7 days and then 15mg a day---- Taking a new route----Racing thoughts - Gone.Oct 9th ( Done Zoloft,wellbutrin week project trial to feel better) - OFFICIALLY OFF ANTI DEPRESSANT !Oct 26 - Raised Buspar to 20mg a day- Tolerating wellJan 2nd 2013-

Reduce Buspar until full off march 20th 2015 Off all medication !

Tried natural supplements to no avail

Gluten/sugar free since december 2013

Ahhh Okay I am definetely thinking this is because I came off 37.5 effexor and switched it right up with Zoloft 25mg the next day. I get that intense anxiety in the morning, feeling alright during aft/night , but the sleep is still so broken. Like i just wanna lie in bed and sleep or want to try to sleep and feel like i have the flu...all effexor withdrawl symptoms.

I don't go up to 50mg for another day after today sept 5th to Sept 18th(two weeks) so 1 more day. Really hoping that extra 25mg gives me the extra boost and doesn't make me feel worse. Only time will tell I guess, wow this has been quite the ride. I can honestly see why so many people give up after awhile, i am glad that i am strong. Been in withdrawl(heavy) since march 22/2012 maybe a long time before that, but actual w/d march 22... every day since then have been hell , but i know there are worse people out there, I FEEL UR PAIN.

Let's hope this all changes, I want to feel functional and stabilized so I can get back to work and start talking to people again. Such a recluse right now, just no energy or motivation to get out...

2007-2012started Effexor xr 225mg -150mg- Varied2months of Taper,(March 22/2012 Off Med/in W/D)Currently No medicationMarch 22/2012- August 16/2012 - Totally Off Effexor( Rough Rough time) Reinstatement for a week(didn't work)****** New Doctor******* Very nice/helpful and in touch.Tried Zoloft- No successAUGUST 17/2012- STARTED 37.5 EFFEXOR FOR ONE WEEK - NOT GOOD < STOPPED.Started Buspar Oct 11th 2012----10 mg for the first 7 days and then 15mg a day---- Taking a new route----Racing thoughts - Gone.Oct 9th ( Done Zoloft,wellbutrin week project trial to feel better) - OFFICIALLY OFF ANTI DEPRESSANT !Oct 26 - Raised Buspar to 20mg a day- Tolerating wellJan 2nd 2013-

Okay I just took the first 50mg of Zoloft...Let's see what happens !

• Moderator Emeritus

Let's hope this all changes, I want to feel functional and stabilized so I can get back to work and start talking to people again. Such a recluse right now, just no energy or motivation to get out...

I understand this completely. I hope the extra makes you feel better too.

Hugs

I understand this completely. I hope the extra makes you feel better too.

Hugs

Thanks Tezza hugs back ! how are you doing??

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi,

I'm doing fairly well, thank you for asking. My sleep is broken like yours, I think. Meaning, I wake throughout the night but usually go back to sleep and I'm not sure how deeply I sleep.

I can't really complain much because I know others here are struggling much worse than I. I lack motivation and am not interested in getting out of the hous much. I'm trying to work on these two but I have to force myself.

I went to the vet's clinic, alone, Friday and that was a big step for me. I was happy because I was picking up a dog that we thought was going to be adopted out. :D

I feel like I'm getting a little better each day. I hope you will too.

Hugs,

Tezza

Question: It's day 3 at 50mg from 25mg of Sertaline(Zoloft) and I am having bad morning anxiety still and not wanting to get out of bed? Is this normal ? Is it because I made a jump in dosage ? How long does this stuff take to start working? I did 2 weeks at 25mg had a few headaches they went away...now i am 50mg and i lay in bed just thinking about everything and just feeling blah... Does this take time ? or is it a sign that it's not working? Or does it need to go up in Dose? Should I contact the doctor? or just wait it out?

Question: It's day 3 at 50mg from 25mg of Sertaline(Zoloft) and I am having bad morning anxiety still and not wanting to get out of bed? Is this normal ? Is it because I made a jump in dosage ? How long does this stuff take to start working? I did 2 weeks at 25mg had a few headaches they went away...now i am 50mg and i lay in bed just thinking about everything and just feeling blah... Does this take time ? or is it a sign that it's not working? Or does it need to go up in Dose? Should I contact the doctor? or just wait it out?

Have you tried blacking out your windows at night? That might help the morning anxiety by stopping cortisol from spiking due to morning light.

It can take from 4-8 weeks for reinstatement to work, just keep things steady and don't keep changing the dose around. Patience is key here. I hope it works you you.

2003-2011: Paroxetine,Citalopram,Effexor; Aug/Sept 2011: Effexor to Mirtazapine; Oct 2011: C/T Mirtazapine back to Effexor; Nov/Dec 2011: Fast Tapered Effexor - w/d hell; Feb 2012: Reinstated Effexor 37.5mg; June 2012: Dropped to 35.6mg; Jan 2016: Propranolol 2.5mg per day for general anxiety; Feb 2016: Finasteride 0.25mg per week to slow hair loss; 18th May - 8th June 2019: Started Vyvanse 7.5mg and increased by 7.5mg weekly to 30mg (lowest “therapeutic” dose for adults).; 21st June 2019 - 12th July: Cross tapered from venlafaxine brand Rodomel to Efexor (1/4 > 1/2 > 3/4 weekly before ditching Rodomel); 13th July 2019: Cut Vyvanse dose to 15mg; 15th July 2019: Akathisia returned after years of being free; 16th July 2019: Went back up to Vyvanse 30mg

Supplements: Omega-3, Vitamin D, Zinc, Phosphatidylserine 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Mr A,

There is no guarantee that Zoloft will work, just as there was no guarantee that reinstating effexor would work - swapping medications to treat withdrawal doesn't make good physiological sense to me - you are dealing with an irritated, upset, sensitised nervous system. I know it is hard but you need to stop thinking and examining how you are feeling. You have committed to this treatment, so, i think you should start believing that it will work - I would NOT be wanting to go up any further.

You are feeding your anxiety and making it worse. No medication will stop it completely, so you have to start some retraining in the way that you think. Drugs usually take 6 weeks to reach their full effect, so you need to remember that.

A good technique to manage anxiety my therapist told me once was to imagine the anxiety sitting on my shoulder and to continue with my day anyhow. It takes discipline to do, but it did help to relieve it and it helped me to stop being paralysed by it.

Recognise that you are feeling anxious in the morning, but get up anyway..

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

Thanks for the responses guys ! Jr and Peggy...I will definitely give it time, I guess going through what I have, I am just really hoping that I would see a immediate effect and relief and I gotta know that is impossible. I know I had to get rid of Effexor it had it's day and was not working at all and I just couldn't take it anymore , i've accepted it, if this doesn't work then I really don't know what the next option is , but your right it's only been 3 days on the upped dose, I guess also because I am moving back to my parents and have no job or no money and parents are in europe that it really can bring on fear that way in this whole transition. My birthday 30th coming up on the 4 th of Oct and just so much going on.

• Moderator Emeritus

Excellent advice from Peggy.

It is still early days and can take a few weeks to straighten up and fly right, nothing happens overnight I'm afraid. Wish it did. It is easy to keep over thinking and over analysing and thinking the worst is going to happen.

I think Peggy has some good advice about the morning anxiety, it's crap but it helps to just get up and at em and get on with your day and try and ignore the anxiety, (unless it is totally crippling 24/7 adrenaline rush which won't be ignored).

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/
Original drug was sertraline/Zoloft, switched to Prozac in 2007.
Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

MrAnxious, have you read "Hope and Help for Your Nerves" by Claire Weekes? I thoroughly recommend it for anyone who suffers from anxiety. You can download her audiobook from iTunes.

2003-2011: Paroxetine,Citalopram,Effexor; Aug/Sept 2011: Effexor to Mirtazapine; Oct 2011: C/T Mirtazapine back to Effexor; Nov/Dec 2011: Fast Tapered Effexor - w/d hell; Feb 2012: Reinstated Effexor 37.5mg; June 2012: Dropped to 35.6mg; Jan 2016: Propranolol 2.5mg per day for general anxiety; Feb 2016: Finasteride 0.25mg per week to slow hair loss; 18th May - 8th June 2019: Started Vyvanse 7.5mg and increased by 7.5mg weekly to 30mg (lowest “therapeutic” dose for adults).; 21st June 2019 - 12th July: Cross tapered from venlafaxine brand Rodomel to Efexor (1/4 > 1/2 > 3/4 weekly before ditching Rodomel); 13th July 2019: Cut Vyvanse dose to 15mg; 15th July 2019: Akathisia returned after years of being free; 16th July 2019: Went back up to Vyvanse 30mg

Supplements: Omega-3, Vitamin D, Zinc, Phosphatidylserine 

Hi Mr. Anxious. I just found your messages. Hope you don't mind my writing to you here. I am off effexor xr after ten years or so on it. I went off cold turkey by mistake (I didn't know any better then). I went ct on Oct. 6 2011. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT.

I was very lucky; just a few weeks of weird physical syptoms; the hardest part has been gaining back some sense of emotional equilibrium. I have feelings now and cry etc. I was so numbed out on the drug. I hated that. I can only say that it does get better; This site has been a lifesaver for me. Supporting me in the ups and downs, especially when I wanted to go back on ads (only when I feel horrible) which I think would be a mistake for me to do at this point. I have used cbt, dbt, meditation, minfulness based cognitive therapy etc etc. I am finally learning to take what I can use and leave the rest, rather than thinking I have to do each method 100%. I am much older than you and have to remind myself to go from today; to focus on today, every day and not regret the past. I can feel sad about things but when I regret and blame myself I start to slip down. So I don't know if this helps; all I can say is hand in there and listen to what others say about tapering slowly and be patient. Easier said than done. It does get better in my experience and, again, this site has been a help beyond that which words can express. Love, FM

MrAnxious, have you read "Hope and Help for Your Nerves" by Claire Weekes? I thoroughly recommend it for anyone who suffers from anxiety. You can download her audiobook from iTunes.

Hey Can I find this book in chapters, I hear alot about this lady?

Thanks JR

Hi Mr. Anxious. I just found your messages. Hope you don't mind my writing to you here. I am off effexor xr after ten years or so on it. I went off cold turkey by mistake (I didn't know any better then). I went ct on Oct. 6 2011. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT.

I was very lucky; just a few weeks of weird physical syptoms; the hardest part has been gaining back some sense of emotional equilibrium. I have feelings now and cry etc. I was so numbed out on the drug. I hated that. I can only say that it does get better; This site has been a lifesaver for me. Supporting me in the ups and downs, especially when I wanted to go back on ads (only when I feel horrible) which I think would be a mistake for me to do at this point. I have used cbt, dbt, meditation, minfulness based cognitive therapy etc etc. I am finally learning to take what I can use and leave the rest, rather than thinking I have to do each method 100%. I am much older than you and have to remind myself to go from today; to focus on today, every day and not regret the past. I can feel sad about things but when I regret and blame myself I start to slip down. So I don't know if this helps; all I can say is hand in there and listen to what others say about tapering slowly and be patient. Easier said than done. It does get better in my experience and, again, this site has been a help beyond that which words can express. Love, FM

Hey Fefe thanks for responding, I never c/t but weaned off for about 1 month and half from 225mg , seemed alright until it hit me later, but i did come down but probably too fast in the long run, went 5 whole months with crippling insomnia anxiety, tried for a few weeks back on 37.5 and it was making me feel sick so my new doctor a nice lady suggested Zoloft and i figured well if I can just get off this effexor and then get better on Zoloft and then do a slow taper i might be fine? Just it's been 2weeks and 2 days on Zoloft now day 3 on 50mg from 25mg and I just feel like i lay in bed, feel like i have the flu, when i do get up i feel a bit better, thinking it's the effexor withdrawl now from just switching the 37.5 effexor to 25mg zoloft, 2 different drugs, w/d from efffexor? and start up of zoloft so I have to give it time. Just tired and exhausted and tramatized from this whole situation.

I am hoping those 5 months off effexor totally didn't mess up my nervous system so bad that this new drug won't take effect or work...guess just gotta wait until 4-6 weeks...

How long did you taper from the effexor after the 10years? and wow 10 years I know what you mean, effexor helped at the start then ruined my life and created addictions and when i came off it was like WOW this is what life is really like, So i know for those 5 months what it was like to feel, i can already feel myself going back to that state and forgetting the good...my bday is in 2 weeks where i turn 30...just wish i felt good to celebrate it

Hi Mr A,

There is no guarantee that Zoloft will work, just as there was no guarantee that reinstating effexor would work - swapping medications to treat withdrawal doesn't make good physiological sense to me - you are dealing with an irritated, upset, sensitised nervous system. I know it is hard but you need to stop thinking and examining how you are feeling. You have committed to this treatment, so, i think you should start believing that it will work - I would NOT be wanting to go up any further.

You are feeding your anxiety and making it worse. No medication will stop it completely, so you have to start some retraining in the way that you think. Drugs usually take 6 weeks to reach their full effect, so you need to remember that.

A good technique to manage anxiety my therapist told me once was to imagine the anxiety sitting on my shoulder and to continue with my day anyhow. It takes discipline to do, but it did help to relieve it and it helped me to stop being paralysed by it.

Recognise that you are feeling anxious in the morning, but get up anyway..

Thanks for the response Peggy and following me and helping me. I didn't want to switch but felt i needed something to start functioning so i can get on with my life and then my goal is to taper slow, just hope it works. There is no instruction manual when it comes to these things, but the help on here has been great and I'd like to think I have followed alot of it. Just my days with Effexor were numbered, was making me feel ill, 5 months off it i had to figure start up wouldn't work. So I am trying Zoloft and I have been taking it for 2 weeks and 3 days...day 3 on 50mg from 25mg , i feel blah, feel like sleeping, anxiety intense and then goes away, i figure this is effexor w/d back again from the 2 weeks that i took 37.5mg and just went off it and switched to zoloft..

talk to you soon !

I didn't taper. I went off cold turkey which I DO NOT RECOMMEND.

I was lucky.

When I was on Paxil before Effexor i went off ct (the shrink never told me to taper) I felt like I had been hit by a truck for about a week. It was awful but it subsided pretty quickly.

So if you can't celebrate your birthday when it happens, you can plan to celebrate it when you feel like it.

Easy for me to say, but give yourself some slack.

FM

Yah I heard it can take awhile for Zoloft to take effect and maybe 50mg won't be enough but I have wait atleast until week 4 to find out , not at week 3 right , have irritable bowel, anxiety, insomnia..at night im okay.. just can't take a stress situation or anything right now.

• Administrator

Hang in there, Mr. A. Give the Zoloft some time to work and your nervous system time to stabilize - be good to yourself. You are going to make it through this.

Love and light,

Posted Image

2007 @ 375 mg Effexor - 11/29/2011 - 43.75 mg Effexor (regular) & .625 mg Xanax

200 mg Gabapentin 2/27/21 - 194.5 mg, 5/28/21 - 183 mg, 8/2/21 - 170 mg, 11/28/21 - 150 mg, 4/19/22 - 122 mg; 8//7/22 - 100 mg; 12/17 - 75mg; 8/17 - 45 mg; 10/16 40 mg
Xanax taper: 3/11/12 - 0.9375 mg, 3/25/12 - 0.875 mg, 4/6/12 - 0.8125 mg, 4/18/12 - 0.75 ; 10/16 40mg;

1/16 0.6875 mg; at some point 0.625 mg
Effexor taper: 1/29/12 - 40.625 mg, 4/29/12 - 39.875 mg, 5/11/12 - Switched to liquid Effexor, 5/25/12 - 38 mg, 7/6/12 - 35 mg, 8/17/12 - 32 mg, 9/14/12 - 30 mg, 10/19/12 - 28 mg, 11/9/12 - 26 mg, 11/30/12 - 24 mg, 01/14/13 - 22 mg. 02/25/13 - 20.8 mg, 03/18/13 - 19.2 mg, 4/15/13 - 17.6 mg, 8/10/13 - 16.4 mg, 9/7/13 - 15.2 mg, 10/19/13 - 14 mg, 1/15/14 - 13.2 mg, 3/1/2014 - 12.6 mg, 5/4/14 - 12 mg, 8/1/14 - 11.4 mg, 8/29/14 - 10.8 mg; 10/14/14 - 10.2 mg; 12/15/14 - 10 mg, 1/11/15 - 9.5 mg, 2/8/15 - 9 mg, 3/21/15 - 8.5 mg, 5/1/15 - 8 mg, 6/9/15 - 7.5 mg, 7/8/15 - 7 mg, 8/22/15 - 6.5 mg, 10/4/15 - 6 mg; 1/1/16 - 5.6 mg; 2/6/16 - 5.2 mg; 4/9 - 4.8 mg; 7/7 4.5 mg; 10/7 4.25 mg; 11/4 4.0 mg; 11/25 3.8 mg; 4/24 3.6 mg; 5/27 3.4 mg; 7/8 3.2 mg ... 10/18 2.8 mg; 1/18 2.6 mg; 4/7 2.4 mg; 5/26 2.15mg; 8/18 1.85 mg; 10/7 1.7 mg; 12/1 1.45 mg; 3/2 1.2 mg; 5/4 0.90 mg; 6/1 0.80 mg; 6/22 0.65 mg; 08/03 0.50 mg, 08/10 0.45 mg, 10/05 0.325 mg, 11/23 0.2 mg, 12/14 0.15 mg, 12/21 0.125 mg, 02/28 0.03125 mg, 2/15 0.015625 mg, 2/29/20 0.00 mg - OFF Effexor

I am not a medical professional - this is not medical advice. My suggestions are based on personal experience, reading, observation and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers

Hang in there, Mr. A. Give the Zoloft some time to work and your nervous system time to stabilize - be good to yourself. You are going to make it through this.

Love and light,

Posted Image

Thanks Karma , that made me smile :) I needed that,

• Moderator Emeritus

How are you today?

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

How are you today?

I am thinking not better , the anxiety is really bad...woke up this morning worrying if i can't take my meds what will happen etc and if i forgot and stuff like that. I keep thinking that I have to take these things for life, just feel so unstable still. Moving out at the end of the month, not sure where i can find a job and if i can actually do it , feeling like this. Already lost one job due to my insomnia, just can't sleep at a proper hour , find myself falling asleep at like 4am even if i go to bed at 12am, it's rough. There are no windows even in there , pure darkness...it's my mind that won't tire or shut off. Hoping these meds kick in sometime soon , and I am like broke...just so many if's. Thanks for asking though strawberry

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Mr A,

I am thinking you may be a little better..

Try not to wonder any more than what is happening at the present moment - you just can't predict what will happen good OR bad - I know it's hard - but try to see these thoughts as merely a symptom and not the truth

Hi Mr A,

I am thinking you may be a little better..

Try not to wonder any more than what is happening at the present moment - you just can't predict what will happen good OR bad - I know it's hard - but try to see these thoughts as merely a symptom and not the truth

thanks Peggy im trying, it so hard when everything has been awful in the past year with w/d and now this med. Alot is relying on my feeling better,work etc.

Wow today was just horrible, anger , anxiety , sense of hopelessness, bills over due , just feel like I am never going to get stable and the minute that I do this is all gonna be in disaray...struggling, 5 more days until I move back to parents, then a week before my 30th birthday and I never pictured life like this at 30, no job, back at parents...so frustrated and upset. Like is this medication working or not? How am I suppose to know after what I just went through with withdrawl.

I came off 37.5 that I had been taking for 2 weeks after w/d for 5 months. And then switched to 25mg for 2 weeks zoloft on sept 5/2012, and then went up to 50mg on sept 18th so it's been 7 days on 50mg and I don't really notice a difference adn it's been 3 weeks today.

Who think's that I should schedule a sooner doctor appointment or wait until Oct 11th when I met my doctor again. I think that the 50mg isn't doing anything and creating alot of unwanted anxiety etc...cause i am 6'4 255lbs i think 50mg is too low a dose and need to go to 100mg for this medication to be effective but it's been 1 week now at the 50mg , not sure if i am just feeling anything but mild effects, not wanting to get outta bed etc.

Need advice please,

• Moderator Emeritus

I really don't know the answer to that one, I've never related body weight to quantity of these drugs, I hope someone else comes along with an idea. I didn't want you to think I was ignoring you! I know it's bloody horrible but I think I would be inclined to say it has only been one week at 50mg, give it a bit longer to see if anything clears before updosing. The higher the dose of something you're on, the more side effects you could get, and the longer it will take to taper off if you want to do that in the future.

Thanks strawberry for answering me , I just heard about body weight and height factors into how much mg a person needs to become effective level in the blood, not sure if that is true of not.

Also yes I will wait it out until Oct 11th and then make the decision from there. I just don't see how if 1 week on 50mg isn't working , how is two weeks going to work, i am probably just not getting enough, but yes I will wait it out better than being over medicated, if it starts working then great ill stay at this dose but if it doesn't by oct 11 then I am going to talk to the doctor about going up so i can stabilize because as I don't feel 100% horrible , I don't feel 20% good, i know the feeling of being stable and it's definetely not there yet as I have no motivation to do anything.

• Moderator Emeritus

I am sorry you are still not feeling well Mr A, don't forget, you are dealing with effexor withdrawal as well as going on Zoloft - your instability could be primarily related to the effexor withdrawal, in which case it may take longer for the Zoloft to take effect (if it does at all). But you have started on Zoloft, so you really need to commit to seeing it through, otherwise you risk further problems by going on and off another drug.

I really suggest, even though i KNOW it's really hard, to practise some meditation every day, you are playing a bit of a waiting game ATM

I am sorry you are still not feeling well Mr A, don't forget, you are dealing with effexor withdrawal as well as going on Zoloft - your instability could be primarily related to the effexor withdrawal, in which case it may take longer for the Zoloft to take effect (if it does at all). But you have started on Zoloft, so you really need to commit to seeing it through, otherwise you risk further problems by going on and off another drug.

I really suggest, even though i KNOW it's really hard, to practise some meditation every day, you are playing a bit of a waiting game ATM

I know this waiting game is sure terrible, I really hope it starts to work, I am just thinking 50mg is still a really low dose for me as I am not feeling physical side effects , just anxiety and insomnia , noticing my sleep getting a little deeper though which is good. I just don't feel any motivation and just fear and thinking , which i try to deter right away but it's getting the best of me.

It's really hard cause i have 3 days until moving back to parents which are gone for another month in europe. I just feel my life has drifted so far from where i want to be or wish i could be, that i feel once this gets better its gonna collapse again or the drug will not work and if it does it will wear off etc and then taper will go horrible....millions of thoughts that i hate and wish i never had !my head hurts

• Administrator

Hey Mr.A, you are definitely experiencing neuro-emotions http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/137-neuro-emotion/

These thoughts are not real and they have no power over you ... you just need to name them and then gently reassure yourself that the meds will eventually work and you will get stable. After you stabilize you can come up with a plan for a slow taper.

You have a lot of life left to live and there is time to get well and move on with goals in your life.

Love and light,

and here is a Karma hug Posted Image to help you through

2007 @ 375 mg Effexor - 11/29/2011 - 43.75 mg Effexor (regular) & .625 mg Xanax

200 mg Gabapentin 2/27/21 - 194.5 mg, 5/28/21 - 183 mg, 8/2/21 - 170 mg, 11/28/21 - 150 mg, 4/19/22 - 122 mg; 8//7/22 - 100 mg; 12/17 - 75mg; 8/17 - 45 mg; 10/16 40 mg
Xanax taper: 3/11/12 - 0.9375 mg, 3/25/12 - 0.875 mg, 4/6/12 - 0.8125 mg, 4/18/12 - 0.75 ; 10/16 40mg;

1/16 0.6875 mg; at some point 0.625 mg
Effexor taper: 1/29/12 - 40.625 mg, 4/29/12 - 39.875 mg, 5/11/12 - Switched to liquid Effexor, 5/25/12 - 38 mg, 7/6/12 - 35 mg, 8/17/12 - 32 mg, 9/14/12 - 30 mg, 10/19/12 - 28 mg, 11/9/12 - 26 mg, 11/30/12 - 24 mg, 01/14/13 - 22 mg. 02/25/13 - 20.8 mg, 03/18/13 - 19.2 mg, 4/15/13 - 17.6 mg, 8/10/13 - 16.4 mg, 9/7/13 - 15.2 mg, 10/19/13 - 14 mg, 1/15/14 - 13.2 mg, 3/1/2014 - 12.6 mg, 5/4/14 - 12 mg, 8/1/14 - 11.4 mg, 8/29/14 - 10.8 mg; 10/14/14 - 10.2 mg; 12/15/14 - 10 mg, 1/11/15 - 9.5 mg, 2/8/15 - 9 mg, 3/21/15 - 8.5 mg, 5/1/15 - 8 mg, 6/9/15 - 7.5 mg, 7/8/15 - 7 mg, 8/22/15 - 6.5 mg, 10/4/15 - 6 mg; 1/1/16 - 5.6 mg; 2/6/16 - 5.2 mg; 4/9 - 4.8 mg; 7/7 4.5 mg; 10/7 4.25 mg; 11/4 4.0 mg; 11/25 3.8 mg; 4/24 3.6 mg; 5/27 3.4 mg; 7/8 3.2 mg ... 10/18 2.8 mg; 1/18 2.6 mg; 4/7 2.4 mg; 5/26 2.15mg; 8/18 1.85 mg; 10/7 1.7 mg; 12/1 1.45 mg; 3/2 1.2 mg; 5/4 0.90 mg; 6/1 0.80 mg; 6/22 0.65 mg; 08/03 0.50 mg, 08/10 0.45 mg, 10/05 0.325 mg, 11/23 0.2 mg, 12/14 0.15 mg, 12/21 0.125 mg, 02/28 0.03125 mg, 2/15 0.015625 mg, 2/29/20 0.00 mg - OFF Effexor

I am not a medical professional - this is not medical advice. My suggestions are based on personal experience, reading, observation and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers

Hi- I can totally relate to your symptoms. Overwhelming fearful thoughts that just keep coming. My perception gets is so skewed. I also have terrible challenges with talking, just trying to get what I am thinking to come out of my mouth in a manner that makes sense is horrible.

I downloaded a breathing app on my phone and it really has helped me a lot! Another thing that has helped is reading about CBT and idenifying my thinking errors.

Treating our selves like a dear sick friend is not what we are accustomed to do, but we must.

Healing energy to you!

300mg lamictal 160mg strattera 50mg prestiq

Taper off of all three over last 4-6 months

Last dose 8/25/2012

Thank you very much Karma and Determined it helps out alot knowing I have support through this. I have to wait through this process and hope for the best I will never give up !

• Moderator Emeritus

Mr A, you did say that your sleep may be a little better - thats great!

Karma encouraged me to rate my symptoms and it has been very helpful. I would encourage you to do the same thing, as sometimes it is easy to say "I am no better", but when you start to look at which symptoms are bad and which ones are reducing, it can give you some encouragement/ reassurance

• Moderator Emeritus

Peggy's idea just reminded me, when I first started tapering I kept a paper diary/log of my progress, I have suggested that to people as well as it can help remind you and keep track of what improved and what didn't.