SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

PandaCycle: Lexapro protracted withdrawal - experiencing anxiety

PandaCycle

Hello,

I started Lexapro in 2001 (10 mg) for mild anxiety and occasional panic attacks.  While I was very stable on the medication with minimal side effects, I was interested in tapering off after 20 years.  My goal was to eliminate my dependence on the SSRI and gain a sense of greater emotional vitality and range.

On the advice of my physician, I tapered from 10mg to 0mg over 40 days in Aug-Sept 2021.  I now realize that may have been to brief a period.  My last dose was 2.5mg on 9/20/21. 

I felt reasonably good for the first couple weeks after stopping; then noticed heightened emotional reactions, including sadness, anger and increasing jumps in baseline anxiety. 

As the weeks have gone by, the increase in my baseline anxiety has become the main issue.  On any given day, my anxiety is in the 5-7 range (on scale of 0-10, with 10 being worst).  The anxiety makes me irritable, quick to anger and very uncomfortable.  It's exhausting and saps my energy.

I exercise regularly (indoor cycling), eat well and generally get good quality sleep.  I'm working with a therapist, using the "Untangling Anxiety" app (MBSR approach) and meditating semi-regularly.  I tried a CBD tincture for a few days.  I'm not taking any other medications or supplements.  

It's been about 2 months since my last dose.  I want these various interventions to work, but I'm not finding relief.   I'm at the point where I'm not sure if I should go back on Lexapro or hold tight for another month or two.  I'm also not clear if I'm still experiencing Lexapro withdrawal or just experiencing a return to the mild anxiety I had 20 years ago.  It feels much worse.

If this story rings true for you, or if you have walked this road, I'd really appreciate your thoughts or guidance.  Thank you in advance!

History:

1/01-8/21 Lexapro (Escitalopram) 10 mg

8/21-9/21 Lexapro (Escitalopram) taper to 0 mg

11/21-Current Fish Oil 3g, Magnesium Glycinate 300mg, Vitamin E 400 IU

Welcome @PandaCycle

This story rings true for many here. Your physician has advised a taper that we would basically consider quitting cold turkey. 10 mg lexapro is a strong dose and you have been taking it for twenty years. We suggest reducing by no more than 10% of the current dose every 4 weeks. The anxiety you are struggling with is more likely withdrawal, than a return of your original anxiety.

Coming off these drugs can cause many different withdrawal symptoms, often leading to doctors thinking the original condition is returning or that another mental illness has emerged.

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

Reinstatement of a small amount of the drug can often work well to alleviate withdrawal symptoms. According to medical knowledge, reinstatement is the only way to alleviate withdrawal. The only other alternative is to try and wait out the symptoms and manage as best you can until your central nervous system returns to homeostasis. Here is some information about reinstatement to help you decide if its something you would like to try: 

About reinstating and stabilizing to stop withdrawal symptoms

Celexa is a similar but less potent SSRI and often 1mg is recommended as a starting dose when reinstating. Or 0.5mg Lexapro. It is best to get a hold of the liquid version of the medication for these small doses.

I found this post helpful to understand what is going on and why healing takes time:

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

When we recover, there are times of feeling OK mixed in with times of feeling bad.  This is called windows and waves.

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Aside from a high quality fish oil and magnesium, be careful with supplements. Your central nervous system (CNS) has become sensitized from psychiatric drug use and can react unpredictably. Alcohol, caffeine, nicotine and other mind altering substances can make the condition worse.

Important topics about tests, supplements, treatments, diet

Important topics about symptoms

I've given you a lot of information here. Take your time to read it and please let us know what you decide. Then we can further advise and offer support.

These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I have learned, not medical advice.

Drug history

2002-2019 Citalopram/Escitalopram, Lamictal
2019 April Escitalopram, quit at 10mg (withdrawal), Oct Escitalopram 10mg reinstated, quit after a few days (adverse reaction)

2019 Oct Lamictal cut from 200mg to 100mg
2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

2020 Aug-Nov Lamictal tapered to 50 mg

2020 Nov 24 Lithium taper started, 30 Jan off Lithium

2021 15. March-31. May Lamictal tapered to 32.5 mg (holding)

2022 10. Jan started taking 25mg+5mg+2mg+0.5 liquid, 22. Jan went back to taking 25mg+5mg+half 5mg

Kiasofia,

Thank you for your thoughtful response and reference materials.  I've started taking both fish oil (3,000mg EPA+DHA) and magnesium glycinate 200mg.  Coincidentally, I experienced a SIGNIFICANT reduction in baseline anxiety.  I suspect its unlikely the supplements could have an effect so quickly.  Maybe its due to the "windows and waves" phenomena you reference above? 

For the time being, I'm going to try to wait out the symptoms as my body adapts.  Thank you again for your help!

18 hours ago, Kiasofia said:

SSRI and often 1mg is recommended as a starting dose when reinstating. Or 0.5mg Lexapro. It is best to get a hold of the liquid version of the medication for these small doses.

I found this post helpful to understand what is going on and why healing takes time:

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

When we recover, there are times of feeling OK mixed in with times of feeling bad.  This is called windows and waves.

History:

Whether it's the magnesium or a "window", it's good to hear you are experiencing less anxiety.

This is your Introductory topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  If you need any advice specific to you and your situation, please ask it here. Otherwise, feel free to join discussions on other threads. To make sure I or someone sees your question, tag them by writing @ and then start typing their username so it becomes blue like this: @Kiasofia

I’m glad you found us, we’re here to support you!

These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I have learned, not medical advice.

Drug history

2019 April Escitalopram, quit at 10mg (withdrawal), Oct Escitalopram 10mg reinstated, quit after a few days (adverse reaction)

2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

2022 10. Jan started taking 25mg+5mg+2mg+0.5 liquid, 22. Jan went back to taking 25mg+5mg+half 5mg

Welcome, PandaCycle! I am going through withdrawal and central nervous system disruption from taking Lexapro for six days at the beginning of September. I, too, feel like the very mild anxiety I had prior to taking Lexapro is laughable compared to the extreme levels I experience now. It’s like a completely different animal. I also rate my anxiety on a 0-10 scale. It can help you to see patterns. Make sure you keep a symptom and med/supplement journal to help you discover patterns. One of the easiest ways is to use a blank calendar page that you can dedicate to your symptoms. This has helped me see when things are negatively affecting me and also helps me to recognize improvements over time. That can be so helpful during this struggle! 

9/3/21-9/8/21--6 doses 2.5 mg escitalopram (adverse reaction)

9/9/21-9/16/21-5 doses .5 mg lorazepam

9/17/21-10/17/21-.25 mg clonazepam (used at bedtime 2-3x/week)

9/19/21-present-25 mg hydroxyzine (3x daily for anxiety)

MTHFR C667T homozygous mutation

COMT val/val homozygous mutation

Supplements: 300 mg magnesium glycinate, ProBiota HistaminX, SmartyPants women’s multi, .5 mg melatonin, starting trial of methylated B complex 

@deg1979 Thank you your note and suggestions.  Sending good thoughts your way!

History:

• 2 weeks later...

@PandaCycle, how have you been doing this week?

9/3/21-9/8/21--6 doses 2.5 mg escitalopram (adverse reaction)

9/9/21-9/16/21-5 doses .5 mg lorazepam

9/17/21-10/17/21-.25 mg clonazepam (used at bedtime 2-3x/week)

9/19/21-present-25 mg hydroxyzine (3x daily for anxiety)

MTHFR C667T homozygous mutation

COMT val/val homozygous mutation

Supplements: 300 mg magnesium glycinate, ProBiota HistaminX, SmartyPants women’s multi, .5 mg melatonin, starting trial of methylated B complex 

@deg1979 just saw this.  Much better.  I feel like things have settled down considerably.  Still taking the fish oil and magnesium.  I hope you are doing better as well.  Thank you for the thoughtful note!

History:

• 4 weeks later...

@deg1979 @Kiasofia

Well, I'm in the midst of my third "wave" of elevated anxiety since completing 40 day taper of Lexapro on 9/20/21.  I define a "wave" as 7-8 level anxiety on a scale of 1-10 that includes ongoing stomach knots and shallow breathing.  My first wave was 10/21/21 (4 weeks since taper) and lasted 8 days.  My second wave was 11/9/21 (after 3 week window) and lasted 5 days.  The third wave just began on 12/25/21 (after 7 week window).  We will see how long this wave lasts.

I thought my second wave *might* have been alleviated by starting a regimen of fish oil, magnesium and vitamin E.  That no longer appears to be the case as I've consistently maintained that regimen.

My current management techniques include: exercise (cycling, weights), meditation (30 min day), pattern recognition/curiosity (Unwinding Anxiety app) and therapy (1x week).

While in the midst of a multi-day "wave" the feelings are powerful, scary and uncomfortable.  I'm trying to treat this like other types of maladies (e.g. headache, sprained ankle) so I'm thinking "well, this is what I feel like right now; I can't seem to control it; I hope it will pass soon; I'll try to be a bit more patient/kind with myself in the meantime."  If these feelings were to continue indefinitely I fear I'd be back on meds again soon.

I truly appreciate this forum and the many caring people who contribute.  Sending kind thoughts, strength and well wishes to all those who suffer.

History:

Thanks for updating @PandaCycle I'm sorry you're having these waves, but it's good you have some management techniques.  And I'm relieved you have windows also.

22 hours ago, PandaCycle said:

so I'm thinking "well, this is what I feel like right now; I can't seem to control it; I hope it will pass soon; I'll try to be a bit more patient/kind with myself in the meantime."

Very good! I'm working on this also. Observing emotions without getting caught up in them...

Here are some threads to explore if you haven't already.

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Neuro-emotions

Acknowledge, Accept, Float

EFT (Tapping)

Sending kind thoughts, strength and well wishes to you too❤️

Drug history

2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

@Kiasofia Thank you so much for your response.  As I manage through this wave I'm wondering if I should reinstate at a low dose.  It has been 3 months since I completed my 6 week taper.  The waves are pretty challenging despite my efforts noted above.  It feels like my body (and mind) are "locked" into a fear state that will not subside.  

Given the many cases reviewed on this forum would there be a rough consensus on whether reinstating at 3 months would be helpful?  I'd be interested in whichever approach is likely to produce the best long-term outcome.  Thank you again!

History:

21 hours ago, PandaCycle said:

I'd be interested in whichever approach is likely to produce the best long-term outcome. 

I really wish I knew the answer to this. It is so frustratingly individual. Ideally reinstatement should be done as soon as possible. And 3 months is the outer limit. Yet many do well with reinstatement long after this. Those who react badly to reinstatement have usually tried too high a starting dose.

From what I have understood you haven't had any bad reactions to the drug previously and are not on any other drugs. You also do not have a history of starting and stopping psych drugs, which sensitizes the brain even more. In cases like this the chance of a bad reaction is small. Whether it will help or not remains unpredictable. If you reinstate then the safest would be 1 mg of the gentler "cousin" celexa.

Drug history

2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

@KiasofiaThank you for your response.  I've been waiting a few days to see if this "wave" abates.  No luck.  I've reached out to my doctor to see if I can get a prescription for a low dose liquid form so I can reinstate.  Fingers crossed. 

Wishing you a very happy holiday and New Year!

History:

Do keep us updated on how that goes. Fingers crossed. And a happy New Year to you too!

Drug history

2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

@Kiasofia Sharing a quick update and a few thoughts.

• The last wave lasted 7 days.  I'm now back to "normal" anxiety (2-3 on scale 1-10).  I've noticed the "waves" tend to be triggered by a change in routine or stressful event, which makes sense.
  • I was able to get Lexapro 5mg/5ml solution in case I want to reinstate.  However, I'm finding it hard to go back on Lexapro, a drug I don't want to be on, when I'm in a "window" state.  I'm not sure I would even notice the difference (e.g. would it help me move my 2-3 level anxiety closer to zero?) I'm tempted to wait until my next wave (if I get one).  Have others on the forum had this dilemma?   
  • My doctor also recommended Propranolol ER 80 mg as an option when my physical anxiety symptoms are feeling elevated (this is my main withdrawal issue: non-specific, physical anxiety).  Are you aware of any situations where individuals have found this medication helpful to manage waves that that involve "physical" anxiety? 

As always - thank you for your helpful guidance and willingness to take time to answer my questions. 

History:

It is a very common dilemma. One has to weigh if the withdrawal is bad enough to be willing to try reinstatement. The goal of reinstatement isn't to eliminate withdrawal symptoms (though it does for some) but rather to make them tolerable. So if your current symptoms are tolerable it might be worth holding off.

I would try non-drug coping ways to deal with anxiety rather than risk making things worse. "Helpful" drugs can end up causing negative symptoms of their own.

Acknowledge, Accept, Float

EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques)

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Pranayama Breathing for Anxiety and Depression

Several have reported Propranolol causing symptoms of depression. It also needs to be tapered.

Beta Blockers: Propranolol, Metopropol, Atenolol etc

Tips for tapering off propranolol

We don't suggest many supplements, but two that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you.
Magnesium 

Omega 3 Fish Oil

The search function on this site doesn't work very well. To find things on the forum I find the easiest is to type "survivingantidepressants.org + what you're searching for" into a search engine.

I'm glad your having a window and hope it is a long one!

Drug history

2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

@KiasofiaThank you for your response and suggestions.  I will revisit some of the non-drug remedies that you suggested.  I hope you are doing well and having a great start to the year!

History:

On 1/4/2022 at 3:58 PM, PandaCycle said:
  • My doctor also recommended Propranolol ER 80 mg as an option when my physical anxiety symptoms are feeling elevated (this is my main withdrawal issue: non-specific, physical anxiety).  Are you aware of any situations where individuals have found this medication helpful to manage waves that that involve "physical" anxiety? 

Hi @PandaCycle. I have been taking 10mg twice daily Propranolol (not extended release) for 3 months for the same reason - stopping anxiety/panic adrenaline from making my heart want to beat out of my chest. The rapid heartrate, while sometimes tolerable, just spins the entire anxiety cycle up worse (in my opinion). I found your thread searching for other member experiences with it, as we are trying to determine if it is causing any issues with my reinstatement. Glad to know the fish oil and magnesium worked for you! I have not begun taking them yet.

My Introduction thread

2002-2003 Celexa/Lexapro (first ride, very mild withdrawal). 2004-2012 Drug free
2013-2018 Cymbalta 60mg | 2019 Effexor 75mg - 150mg (can't recall specifics)
2020-Apr 2021 Trintellix 20mg | May-Jun 10mg | Jul-Aug 5mg (stopped Aug 12th, 2021)

WD symptoms began 4-6 weeks after last dose, increased severely at the 4 month mark
2021 Oct 9th Propranolol 10mg 2x/day (10am and 7pm) tapered to 5mg. Stopped 2/1/22.
Lorazepam (Ativan) 0.5-1mg as needed

Started a 0.5mg Trintellix reinstatement on 12/17/21 

Tapered to ~0.4mg and 0.3mg by end of May 2022

Stopped Caffeine 1/1/2022 and Nicotine on 4/1/2022.

Jan 19, 2022 - Added Vitamin D3 (2000iu), Super Omega-3 (2500mg) 

December 2022 - Finished taper of reinstatement dose around 0.09mg

@YachtRock Thanks for note. I have not tried Propranolol yet (or reinstated with Lexapro).  I think having them both available in my medicine cabinet helps me feel a bit more at ease.  I've continued to have strong, physical anxiety symptoms.  Not fun.  Right now, focused on managing with diet, supplements, meditation (10% Happier) and the DARE methodology (Barry McDonagh).  I'd say my results are hit and miss.  Seeking out and engaging in flow states is definitely helpful.  Thanks again for reaching out and wishing you much success in your journey!

History:

Thanks @PandaCycle and wishing you the same. I can relate entirely to the physical symptoms of anxiety issue. It appears to be at the root of so many of my current issues as well. Many of my biggest waves early on seem to be tied to major life stressors and I have been also working on meditation. I haven't begun taking the supplements as I am still "testing" my reinstatement and don't want to muddy the waters, but feel like I need them.

My Introduction thread

2002-2003 Celexa/Lexapro (first ride, very mild withdrawal). 2004-2012 Drug free
2013-2018 Cymbalta 60mg | 2019 Effexor 75mg - 150mg (can't recall specifics)
2020-Apr 2021 Trintellix 20mg | May-Jun 10mg | Jul-Aug 5mg (stopped Aug 12th, 2021)

WD symptoms began 4-6 weeks after last dose, increased severely at the 4 month mark
2021 Oct 9th Propranolol 10mg 2x/day (10am and 7pm) tapered to 5mg. Stopped 2/1/22.
Lorazepam (Ativan) 0.5-1mg as needed

Started a 0.5mg Trintellix reinstatement on 12/17/21 

Tapered to ~0.4mg and 0.3mg by end of May 2022

Stopped Caffeine 1/1/2022 and Nicotine on 4/1/2022.

Jan 19, 2022 - Added Vitamin D3 (2000iu), Super Omega-3 (2500mg) 

December 2022 - Finished taper of reinstatement dose around 0.09mg

• 2 weeks later...

How have you been feeling lately?

2010 - 2018 Zoloft 75 mg 2019 Zoloft 50mg 2019 Zoloft 25 mg

2020 Zoloft 12.5mg

2020 Switched July 6, 2020 to Lexapro 10 mg  Nov 10, 2020 5 mg 

2021 Feb 2, 2021 2.5 mg until July 24, 2021 (Date quit)

2021 Lexapro .5 mg Reinstatement Aug 18, 2021 

2021 Lexapro .42 mg Nov 16, 2021

2021 Lexapro .35 mg Dec 1, 2021

2021 Lexapro .5 mg updose Dec 11, 2021

2022 Lexapro 1.0 mg updose March 15, 2022

2022 Quit Lexapro March 19, 2022

On 1/9/2022 at 5:20 PM, PandaCycle said:

@YachtRock Thanks for note. I have not tried Propranolol yet (or reinstated with Lexapro).  I think having them both available in my medicine cabinet helps me feel a bit more at ease.  I've continued to have strong, physical anxiety symptoms.  Not fun.  Right now, focused on managing with diet, supplements, meditation (10% Happier) and the DARE methodology (Barry McDonagh).  I'd say my results are hit and miss.  Seeking out and engaging in flow states is definitely helpful.  Thanks again for reaching out and wishing you much success in your journey!

I noticed u mentioned you got lexapro solution , it needs to be  refrigerated not kept in a cabinet. I did the same mistake cause simply stupid pharmacy didn’t clarify . I hope you don’t have to use it but if you do store it properly cause it ll loose it’s potency. Even if refrigerated liquid lexapro doesn’t last long 

Aug. 16-17, 2020, cipralex: went CRAZY! Recovered in 24hrs

Aug.28,2020; 3.5 weeks 25mg sertraline/4.5 weeks taper

Oct. 25: Last dose (4mg)

Symptoms while on zoloft

DPDR/out of my body/soul despair/feeling dead; tinnitus/no appetite; fear, anxiety/panics

4 months OFF: soul despair, anxiety/fear, brain disconnection/ DPDR, brain feels swollen-numb/crazy/bedridden barely functioning, tinnitus, eye lid twitches; face spasms. Feeling slightly better after 10pm.

- sleep & appetite are fine

9 months OFF: hell, no windows, same symptoms as above  (only eye and face twitches have stopped) plus intense arm/shoulder pain and visual issues. Tinnitus replaced by head buzzing. 

10 months-1 year: all above plus Insomnia (out of nowhere), depression, no peace of mind (mental Akathisia); 2.5mg melatonin

14months off: sleep resumed. All rest symptoms remain. Bedridden vegetable all day. DP is relentless. 

1.5 years off: still severely disabled, not much changed except some improvement in vision.

@NeDaytoDayMJ Thank you for the kind note.  I've been doing reasonably well.  The nonspecific physical anxiety symptoms (hyper arousal) have abated for right now.  I think being back at work (from vacation) and having structure is quite helpful.  I've been experiencing some of what I would call me "normal" anxiety (3-4 on scale of 1-10) that is clearly linked to ruminating thought patterns.  These are easier to deal (e.g. DARE method, meditation, working out) then the hyper aroused state.  I have not had to reinstate with Lexapro (or used Propranolol) to date.  I know I will likely experience a wave again at some point, so keeping that in the back of my mind.  I appreciate you checking in with me.  I hope you are having a great start to the New Year!

History:

@JesusSavemefromWD Thank you for your suggestion.  I've been keeping the liquid Lexapro in the medicine cabinet.  I'll move to the refrigerator.  Wishing you all the best!

History:

@PandaCycle

Here is some information on the liquid Lexapro. It does not need to be kept in the refrigerator. You just can not keep it in the medicine cabinet where is it hot. You can store it in a kitchen cabinet as long as it is cool and out of sunlight. It will last approximately 3 months.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

@Frogie Thank you for the additional info!

History:

Just now, PandaCycle said:

@Frogie Thank you for the additional info!

You're very welcome.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.