SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

OptimisticRP: hello - my story help me

OptimisticRP

I’m a 21 year old male. I was on Prozac from November 2019 to April of 2021. Weened off of it quite quickly but had no problems. 2 months after that. My symptoms of severe anxiety came back so instead of going back on Prozac my doctor suggested I try Zoloft. So I did and it just made me sick for 8 days so I got off of that. Then I tried lexapro - stayed on it for a month. Increased my anxiety and crippled me a lot - so I weened off of that. And then for 3 weeks I was doing great off medicine no issues, working out again and living life. And then I realized I started to feel my anxiety increasing again after stopping and my mood started to plummet. So I said **** I need meds again. So this time we tried celexa (20MG) and I took it for 8 days and it gave me awful side effects so I took 10MG for two days and stopped. Now 2 -3weeks after that - for a week now. I’ve been anhedonic and apathetic. I went on meds for anxiety and now I can’t feel anything - I have to force myself to do anything because I don’t feel anything. I think the SSRI induced this anhedonia. Can anyone help ? Im in therapy and see my medicine doctor soon. 

ProzacNovember 2019: 10MG start

January 2021: up to 60MG 

march 2021: Valium everyday 2MG twice a day for a month or after that take as needed 

April 2021-May: taper to 0MG

June 2021: Zoloft 7 days and ween off. 
August 2021: escitalopram 5MG-10MG

August 2021: Propanol 10MG-20MG as needed 

September 2021: weened off escitalopram over a week.

October 30th: Citalopram 20MG 

November 10th: stopped - 10MG 2 days. 
November 14th: Prozac 20MG

November 18th: stop C/T 

• ChessieCat changed the title to OptimisticRPL: Hello - my story help me!!

Welcome @OptimisticRP

I am sorry you are going through this and are suffering, but relieved you have found us. It is not uncommon that several weeks, even two months, can pass before withdrawal kicks in. Especially for Prozac. It is likely that your symptoms of anxiety were due to withdrawal. Coming off these drugs can cause many different withdrawal symptoms, often leading to doctors thinking the original condition is returning or that another mental illness has emerged.

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

Ideally you should have given it time or reinstated a very small dose (1mg) of Prozac, rather than starting and stopping various other drugs. This only adds to your problem by sensitizing your central nervous system (CNS) and makes the decision of whether or not to reinstate now more difficult. Please read this:

About reinstating and stabilizing to stop withdrawal symptoms

I found this post helpful to understand how these drugs actually work.

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

The reaction you are having now is a common consequence of these drugs.

Apathy, anhedonia, emotional numbness, emotional anesthesia

When we recover, there are times of feeling OK mixed in with times of feeling bad.  This is called windows and waves.

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

To help us better advise you, can you please create a signature with all of the drugs that you are taking and have been taking in the last couple of years following these instructions:

How to List Drug History in Signature

I would recommend asking for a liquid prescription for Prozac, so you have the option of taking 1 mg if you choose to reinstate. I would not try any other psychiatric drugs as this can do more harm than good.

Take some time to read the information I have provided and then we can take it from there. This is your Introductory topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I have learned, not medical advice.

Drug history

2002-2019 Citalopram/Escitalopram, Lamictal
2019 April Escitalopram, quit at 10mg (withdrawal), Oct Escitalopram 10mg reinstated, quit after a few days (adverse reaction)

2019 Oct Lamictal cut from 200mg to 100mg
2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

2020 Aug-Nov Lamictal tapered to 50 mg

2020 Nov 24 Lithium taper started, 30 Jan off Lithium

2021 15. March-31. May Lamictal tapered to 32.5 mg (holding)

2022 10. Jan started taking 25mg+5mg+2mg+0.5 liquid, 22. Jan went back to taking 25mg+5mg+half 5mg

• 4 weeks later...

I just read all of this, I have gotten worse as of recently - I just submitted my drug signature. 

i have had non stop anxiety - trouble eating - sexual problems and blunted emotions. I just feel really really awful. 

march 2021: Valium everyday 2MG twice a day for a month or after that take as needed 

• ChessieCat changed the title to OptimisticRPL: Hello - my story help me

I'm so sorry you have gotten worse.

On 11/20/2021 at 4:07 PM, OptimisticRP said:

instead of going back on Prozac my doctor suggested I try Zoloft

What was the reason for this? Why did your doctor not suggest restarting Prozac?

These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I have learned, not medical advice.

Drug history

2019 April Escitalopram, quit at 10mg (withdrawal), Oct Escitalopram 10mg reinstated, quit after a few days (adverse reaction)

2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

2022 10. Jan started taking 25mg+5mg+2mg+0.5 liquid, 22. Jan went back to taking 25mg+5mg+half 5mg

We thought I was relapsing, anxiety was back. 

Prozac: 10MG-60MG for a year and a half no real problems 

- didn’t go back on Prozac cause still had panic. 
Gastroproblems  after stopping - weened over 1.5 months 

Zoloft: 7 days early side effects so I stopped it - still anxious after 

lexapro: 1 month horrible side effects- then stopped: weened in a span of 1.5 weeks. Felt fine after 3 weeks later I felt my anxiety and depression come back - so doctor suggested citalopram 

citalopram 20MG: 8 days or so on stopped abruptly and then 1 week later - anhedonia and low sexual function- 2 weeks felt content/decent -

randomly for the past week these new symptoms on top of everything 

- nausea / hard to eat feel like I’m gonna vomit 

- shaking when waking up or trying to do things that could cause anxiety 

-super anxious bodily though - my head is clear essentially 

@Altostrataany advice - I’m thinking I’m gonna reinstate - citalopram or Prozac at 1MG

Why did you quit citalopram? Anhedonia and low sexual function came after you quit or while you were taking it?

Drug history

2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

Citalopram made me feel like a zombie with really bad headaches and brain fog. And it was disrupting my stomach. 

edit: Delayed ejaculation too- and once I stopped / I still had anxiety and stuff and my sex drive and stuff came back.  But then 1 week after stopping  everything gone 

@Kiasofia

Edited by OptimisticRP
Adding info!

Was 20mg the starting dose for citalopram?  It may be that you can tolerate a lower dose better. Whether it be citalopram or prozac. Prozac is the drug you are in withdrawal from so that is an argument for reinstating with Prozac and you did not have a bad reaction to it. (Though the bad reaction to the others is probably because your sensitized brain couldn't handle normal doses anymore.)

The advantage of citalopram is that it has a shorter half life than prozac. This means that if you reinstate with citalopram and have a bad reaction it wont last as long as with prozac.

Edited by Kiasofia

Drug history

2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

Okay thank you. But for 3 weeks after stopping the escitalopram I felt amazing. So I thought it was withdrawal from those two drugs. Cause they are similar. But I’m gonna get liquid citalopram, and try to reinstate - hopefully it will help me eat again. It’s so hard to eat and keep food down. And yes 20MG starting dose 

You think 1MG is good ? 

@Kiasofia did you recover?

also, how do I edit my meds I take 2MG as needed and 10-20MG propanol. 

propanol mostly making it survivable 

• Administrator

Welcome, @OptimisticRP

Is it your intention to get on an antidepressant and stay on one long-term? Have you discussed your adverse effects and withdrawal problems with your doctor?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

@Altostrata. No. I put my whole story up there. I’m trying to manage these withdrawal symptoms. And be somewhat functional. Not feel awful 24/7. Whatever ends this and makes me feel better. Just want guidance. Should I reinstate- should I wait and live on propanerol and Valium until the SSRI with drawls stop 🤷🏻‍♂️ I’m just stuck. 
Barley Eat like 1,000 calories a day. 

-shakiness randomly 

-stressed easier 

-severe anxiety 

- negative thoughts 

- nausea 

-almost throwing up 

-emotional numbness 

- sexual problems. 

so I don’t know 🙃 I’m losing my gf and my family is devastated. I just need support and advice 😔

• Administrator
On 11/20/2021 at 7:07 AM, OptimisticRP said:

I’m a 21 year old male. I was on Prozac from November 2019 to April of 2021. Weened off of it quite quickly but had no problems. 2 months after that. My symptoms of severe anxiety came back so instead of going back on Prozac my doctor suggested I try Zoloft. So I did and it just made me sick for 8 days so I got off of that. Then I tried lexapro - stayed on it for a month. Increased my anxiety and crippled me a lot - so I weened off of that. And then for 3 weeks I was doing great off medicine no issues, working out again and living life. And then I realized I started to feel my anxiety increasing again after stopping and my mood started to plummet. So I said **** I need meds again. So this time we tried celexa (20MG) and I took it for 8 days and it gave me awful side effects so I took 10MG for two days and stopped.

You got adverse effects from Zoloft, Lexapro, and Celexa. You haven't felt right on an SSRI since you went off Prozac, is that correct?

On 11/20/2021 at 7:07 AM, OptimisticRP said:

Now 2 -3weeks after that - for a week now. I’ve been anhedonic and apathetic. I went on meds for anxiety and now I can’t feel anything - I have to force myself to do anything because I don’t feel anything. I think the SSRI induced this anhedonia.

Are these your most prominent symptoms now? How's your sleep? Why can't you eat?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

6 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

You got adverse effects from Zoloft, Lexapro, and Celexa. You haven't felt right on an SSRI since you went off Prozac, is that correct?

Are these your most prominent symptoms now? How's your sleep? Why can't you eat?

Yes correct. 
and  those are my most prominent symptoms. Eating is hard because I am so anxious and it’s like I get stressed to eat and then I get nauseous and it’s hard to swallow the food. Sleep fluctuates around 6 hours - I try to take valerian root  or Passion flower if I can’t sleep sometimes.

also:

depersonalization and derealization. 

• Administrator

When people go on and off psychiatric drugs, or have repeated adverse effects from them, their nervous systems can get sensitized and produce symptoms of anxiety, sleepless, etc.

The drugs themselves tend to dull emotions; many people here who have gone off them have emotional anesthesia, which can also emerge as a withdrawal symptom. Sexual dysfunction from SSRIs is also common, and can emerge as a withdrawal symptom. These tend to fade over many months.

How often have you taken Valium since the end of October, at what dosages? What is your usual drug schedule?

So as of right now. I wake up super anxious and I shake and like twitch and awful and I usually try to take nothing but lately I’ve been taking propanalol and  Valium randomly - mostly propanalol as needed.  Do you think I will recover ? I’m doing acupuncture and I feel like a mess. I just ate a nice big dinner though. 

also. I had none of these symptoms on meds - only..

A little numb on citalopram 

and nausea and increased anxiety on 

Zoloft and lexapro 

And since October probably 15 times or so maybe less to be honest - and I take no more than 4MG

• Administrator

Do you take Valium about every other day? Are your tablets 2mg? How do you feel after taking one tablet?

6 minutes ago, OptimisticRP said:

I just ate a nice big dinner though. 

Did you take a Valium today or yesterday?

Haven’t taken it in 4 days and I don’t take it often. I took propanalol yesterday and today. 

Valium is really random it’s really only when I feel I need it and I’m al ways hesitant to take it. 

you think I’ll be okay ? This **** is hard. 

• Administrator

The symptoms probably will very slowly fade over months. See

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Are We There Yet? How Long is Withdrawal Going to Take?

"Is it always going to be like this?"

The importance of recognizing you're feeling good

Be sure to get at least a half-hour of gentle exercise every day. Eat lots of fresh veggies and fruit.

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see

https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you. Please let us know how you’re doing.

Okay thank you so much. Any advice for eating when I’m anxious ? 

you think I shouldn’t take Valium or propan??

also, you think I should reinstate anything ? 

@Altostrata

• Administrator

If propranolol seems to help, you might take it as needed. If you take it more than a couple times of day, though, you'll have to go on a regular schedule, as it can cause interdose withdrawal.

What is that? Inter-dose withdrawal? And also what about reinstatement of and SSRI what are your thoughts? @Altostrata

Also forgot to add on lexapro the horrible early anxiety from it subsided but it wasn’t helping me. 

just trying to find stability so I can stay in college 

@Kiasofia. @Altostrata

@ChessieCat

is my course of medicine considered short term or long term? Also, do any of you suggest reinstatement? It’s been a month and 2 weeks since meds.  

so weird I was fine, and then stopping the citalopram really 

quick - and that’s when all this started. 

Also @Kiasofia@Altostrata 

what drug would suggest I reinstate, considering my strange circumstances?

15 hours ago, OptimisticRP said:

What is that? Inter-dose withdrawal?

Once we have developed  dependency of a drug we get withdrawal symptoms when the drug leaves our system. For drugs that take more than 24 hours to leave the body, and we take the drug once a day, we will not notice it. For a drug that only lasts a few hours, we will get withdrawal symptoms when it wears off. Propanolol lasts 3-6 hours so once you are dependent on it, you will need to take it several times a day to avoid withdrawal symptoms.

3 hours ago, OptimisticRP said:

is my course of medicine considered short term or long term?

Usually after a month the brain has adapted to antidepressants. Benzos, like valium, take only a couple of weeks. Propanololo I don't know.

Tapering Alpha Blockers or Beta Blockers

Reinstatement is unpredictable so I cannot say if you should or shouldn't do it. But if you do it needs to be a very low dose (1mg). Altostrata is suggesting that your symptoms probably will very slowly fade over months, without reinstatement.

Drug history

2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

Alright, I sure as hell hope so. This is awful, nausea - hard to eat - shaking and non stop anxiety - and I don’t feel anything I just feel so blank😩 I’ve taken nothing today just trying to push through and eat a little here and there. 

@Kiasofia

i also meant my specific situation - I only interacted with SSRI for two years and the other ones besides fluoxetine I was barley on anything for more than a month. So it’s so strange I feel this way.  

Two years is a long time, considering dependency only takes a month. Experiencing withdrawal after only a months exposure is not uncommon either. Starting the other SSRIs at high doses has also triggered your symptoms. It only takes one pill to trigger  symptoms that the brain then needs time to heal from.

Adverse reactions to an antidepressant within a few doses -- how long for recovery?

When you are feeling better, I highly recommend reading  Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker (video interview) as well as A straight talking introduction to psychiatric drugs by Joanna Moncrieff to better understand these drugs and their effects. The Council for Evidence based Psychiatry also has a lot of good information.

Here is our symptoms and self care section, you may find some useful ideas to help manage symptoms as you recover. 

Symptoms and self care topics  

It is best to not drink alcohol and ideally not caffeine or use nicotine either, to help your nervous system recover.

Important topics about tests, supplements, treatments, diet

Drug history

2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

Alright, thank you. You think I will get better?  Because this is hell on earth I’ve read everything, just hard to live like this. @Kiasofia

39 minutes ago, OptimisticRP said:

You think I will get better?  Because this is hell on earth

I do. And having a young brain increases the odds of a less lengthy recovery. I know it is pure hell and I'm so angry that these harmful drugs are given to people. I hope learning more and being a part of a community that understands what you are going through can help give you the strength to pull through.❤️

Drug history

2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

Yeah, sometimes this website scares me and sometimes it makes me optimistic- but regardless you think I will recover and heal in 1 way or another? 

I am just confused my drug timeline confuses me. I was fine on and off (still anxious and stuff) but starting and C/T off 8 days of citalopram seems to what started this spiral 🤷🏻‍♂️ Or, it was the escitalopram I took for 4-5 weeks 1.5 month prior. I am unsure. Because off of fluoxetine and Zoloft I was fine in between meds for the most part………. I just want my life back. I need to be able to continue in college and graduate that’s all I care about. Being able to eat enough - survive and graduate. 

Yes, I do believe you will recover and heal. But you need to take care of your central nervous system.

It is probably a combination of going on and off these drugs and what that does to the brain. Withdrawal combined with adverse reactions. SSRIs are a psychoactive substance and starting, taking and quitting them batters the brain. So now your brain has to recover from that ordeal.

It is understandably very confusing because we are told these drugs are basically harmless serotonin supplements that can be started and stopped as needed without any consequences. But if that were true, this forum wouldn't exist.

Drug history

2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

21 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Welcome, @OptimisticRP

Is it your intention to get on an antidepressant and stay on one long-term? Have you discussed your adverse effects and withdrawal problems with your doctor?

I forgot to respond to this, whatever would stop this madness and make me feel normal again. I talked to 2 doctors they said “6 weeks you’ll be fine” “you’re spiraling, I think OCD and maybe bipolar 2” when I only had anxiety problems.  “These medicines can’t cause those problems” “I have prescribed medicine for 30 years and I have never seen this issue” so, I came here. I just want my life back whatever course you think would be best to do that.  

@Altostrata

@Kiasofiayou think the sexual symptoms will go as well?

@Kiasofia 

@Altostrata

also is it possible to have windows and waves throughout the day ? Mornings are the worst

• Administrator
22 hours ago, OptimisticRP said:

Also forgot to add on lexapro the horrible early anxiety from it subsided but it wasn’t helping me. 

Please explain what this means

24 minutes ago, OptimisticRP said:

also is it possible to have windows and waves throughout the day ? Mornings are the worst

What is your daily symptom pattern? How do you feel when you wake up?